12 killed, 50 injured in Colorado theater

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Snakeduck wrote:
    At least the guy is in custody and didn't get killed or kill himself in the process. Not that I would really care if we has dead, but you can only second-guess motives with a corpse. Curious as to what this guy has to say. What can we learn from someone like this and better prevent a similar act when the warning signs are present? After we've figured out what we can, then feed him to my bear.
    +1

Extract and learn what we can, then discard.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    in case anyone was wondering what hollywood thought of the tragedy

"It is a very real possibility this terrifying tragedy may affect The Dark Knight Rises‘s opening box office today and this weekend."

now nikii finke is one of the biggest scumbags in hollywood but 10 bucks says this was thought a lot as everyone here in la woke this morning
  • norm wrote:

"It is a very real possibility this terrifying tragedy may affect The Dark Knight Rises‘s opening box office today and this weekend."

now nikii finke is one of the biggest scumbags in hollywood but 10 bucks says this was thought a lot as everyone here in la woke this morning
    don't they realize 'any press is good press'
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Covered head to toe in body armor.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    norm wrote:

don't they realize 'any press is good press'
    There is always the fear of a copycat doing this again this weekend which will hold some people back from going. Unfortunately, there are a few weirdos out there that may find this as motivation.

(note to weirdos: find tall bridge. jump.)
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    now reports that he had his hair painted red and told police he was the joker :?
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah all ready for war , so people can actually purchase everything you need for warfare :(
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    now reports that he had his hair painted red and told police he was the joker :?

They wouldn't answer that in the briefing. He had body armor on every inch of his body.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah all ready for war , so people can actually purchase everything you need for warfare :(

AR-15 and all.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

They wouldn't answer that in the briefing. He had body armor on every inch of his body.
    sounds like he definitely planned on coming out of this alive

also - makes sense that they don't want to confirm that yet. His defense team would likely use that to point to his mental status at the tie. He's either psychotic or wants people to believe he is.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    In honor of the victims of today's tragedy in Aurora, Colo., President Obama has just proclaimed that American flags are to be flown at half-staff until July 25.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Apparently he recently dropped out from medical school and his only brush with the law had been a speeding ticket. I wonder what the rest of the story is given his mother's reaction. We try to predict and prevent things like this, try to control peoples' behavior, but ultimately we can't. Victim blaming gives us a bigger sense of safety - thinking this would never happen to my kid because I would never take them to a midnight movie. The reality is you can do everything right and this can still happen, like to all the kids whose parents sent them to school only to have them killed in a school shooting. The idea that it can happen to any of us and that we can't ultimately prevent or control it is terrifying, but that's the reality. We try to distance ourselves from the victims as much as possible to give us a larger sense of control (i.e I don't see comic book movies, I'd never go to a midnight movie, etc). The blame lies with the shooter. The victims and their families need our compassion and empathy.
    That pretty much sums it up. It is good he didn't get killed in the sense that we can find out what motivated him to commit such horror.

Any time you leave your house you take a risk really, it's scary but true. I figure every day I make it home in one piece, I'm grateful.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    :(
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    I'm still in a fog thinking about this what a sad sad day :(
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112

This reminds us of Heath Ledger another tragedy associated with the movie. But movies or music is not the cause of human actions.

Buy I remember I thought a lot of the people that were so into The Dark Knight and Heath's Joker performance were fascinated by the fact Heath was dead. And I've heard of curses associated with movie with what happened to Heath, Morgan Freeman accident, the close calls with Christian Bale and the stuntman thing. But I never imagined this.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

AR-15 and all.

ar-15.jpg

I was on FB a few months back, and in a "Into the Wild page" a young guy who was self training in survival in the wild posed with one, so asked him why he would buy a gun that can take down an Elephant, he replied that this is America and you can own any gun you want, so i said, yes i agree, but that doesn't explain the Why? He Blocked me without answering. :roll:
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,762
    I keep reading people who say if they were there with their gun they would have stopped him. Body armor would have made that difficult.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Me too. The whole thing is so disturbing :(
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Me too. The whole thing is so disturbing :(

It really, really is.

For some reason a part of me has been consciously appreciative of the fact that, if nothing else, at least we are not numb to an event like this. I don't know if that makes sense.

I've read about this on and off throughout the day, as many of us have. After just watching "Bowling for Columbine" 2 nights ago, the amount of emotion this has evoked in me is nearly too much to bear.

Peace please.
  • faceinthecloudsfaceintheclouds Posts: 1,739
    So fucking stupid and pointless. Hey kid, what the fuck is so wrong with your life that you would take the lives of children and others? You scumbag piece of shit. This world is fucked anymore.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Apparently this dude purchased 4 guns just recently (I forget what the exact timeframe was but it was something like a month I believe). That should have raised some red flags. Even though I lean to the right I am all for stringent gun control. What the hell do people need guns for??

Also can't believe people had babies at a movie which started at midnight. Great parenting.

Crazy story. People are fucked up.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,762
    The Fixer wrote:
    Apparently this dude purchased 4 guns just recently (I forget what the exact timeframe was but it was something like a month I believe). That should have raised some red flags. Even though I lean to the right I am all for stringent gun control. What the hell do people need guns for??

Also can't believe people had babies at a movie which started at midnight. Great parenting.

Babies sleep. I'm more surprised about 6 year olds.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    ComeToTX wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

My parents took me to drive-in movies that would go on until 2 AM in the Summer. It was a great family memory, and when I got tired I fell asleep, they weren't forcing me to stay awake. I don't see what is with all this parenting judgement. It's a movie theatre.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    oona left wrote:
    Peace please.
    Amen to that.
    Prayers for the people of Aurora.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Time they banned guns in the USA...
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Completely agreed. We went to the drive in at the st lawerence river every summer from the time I was 6 or so. I hate the judgement of the parents.
  • faceinthecloudsfaceintheclouds Posts: 1,739
    ComeToTX wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I took my 7 and 4 year old to new spiderman, but the dark knight is a whole different ball game. It's not a movie for kids IMO.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Bringing your children with you and spending time with your family should never be criticized. :nono:
    "Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community.

I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime.

The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me.

Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."

- Christopher Nolan
    New found respect for Piers Morgan tonight. Absolutely ripped the pro gun guy and the interview with the young family was gut wrenching.