Options

The Who- North American Tour announced

Comments

• Options
    RoughMixRoughMix back of a lorry Posts: 385
    RoughMix wrote:
    Going to my 4th (and final) show of the tour tomorrow night in Hamilton.
    Can't wait.Again!! 2nd row.
    I will never get tired of seeing this band.

Tonight will be my 2nd and final show for this tour. I'm really stoked about being 4th row in front of Pete. Plus, great news... Zack is back. After missing 4 or 5 shows Zack is back behind the kit. Enjoy the show. :D

q
    Great seats.Enjoy The Master at work.He can still kick it up a notch when he wants to.I'm in the center section,but closer to Pete than the exact middle.
    Have a great time.Long Live Rock!
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • Options
    kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837
    Almost two weeks since the AZ show and like a perfect little glutton I want MOOORRRRE!!!
    Great show!
  • Options
    Well, tonight's my 3rd and final Quad show for the tour (also hit MSG and Mohegan Sun). Very excited as 3 of my sons (ages 9, 11 and 13) are coming, so that will be good (they are psyched and their teachers are jealous).

Of course, I'm also going to the American Teen Cancer Benefit next Thursday to say a rightful goodbye to them for their North American Tour. ;)

Kind of funny that I looked at the tix last night and saw I bought them July 20, 2012. So, exactly 7 months and a day in advance. :shock: Would be nice if the younger PJ could plan that well. :lol:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    WillSmithWillSmith Sunnyside Posts: 20
    A friend just gave me his extra ticket so I'm going tonight. Will be the 4th time in 4 months seeing them.
  • Options
    it's impossible to sum up my thoughts on this great tour

and i keep coming back to it being a gift and it being a dream come true

roger was singing great+
    pete was on fire+

i loved the 1996/97 tour but after 15 years i thought it was better without the special guests

saw 3 shows on this tour

worth every single penny

pete is my hero

long live rock
  • Options
    Hamilton was great!
    Pete was mowing people down left and right.
    Sound was awesome and Zak was no worse for wear.
    Roger was,as usual,his tough self.
    Enjoy the rest of the tour peoples.
    Especially you lucky bastards going to the final show at the MSG theater.
    This has been a special treat.
    There is no one out there doing this right now.
    LONG LIVE ROCK!
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

roger was singing great+
    pete was on fire+

i loved the 1996/97 tour but after 15 years i thought it was better without the special guests

saw 3 shows on this tour

worth every single penny

pete is my hero

long live rock
    :clap::clap::clap:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    i keep coming back to it being a gift

So true. Last night at the Nassau Coliseum was unbelievable once again. Honestly, I was a bit worried about Roger's voice at the very beginning as he seemed to skip a couple lines that I seem to remember he sang in the earlier shows I saw. But, by the middle of side 1, he was back in form and he was more than able to let go the primal scream in WGFA. So, maybe he was either saving himself, warming up or my memory is bad. I'm guessing 3.

Anyway, it was my 3rd Quad show, and 1st from a distance, and it gave a completely different persepective. I didn't really see most of the visuals in the prior 2, but as has been said, Roger did an outstanding job with that.

Each show was a bit different for me and not just because of where I was. I went to 1 show with one of my brothers, 1 show with my wife and last night with 3 of my sons. All were fantastic, and as you correctly put it, a gift. My 9 year old woke up this morning singing Who Are You? So glad I was able to share this with my boys. As we were leaving, the guy behind us said to me, "Good job." And I returned - "Had to bring them. They needed to experience this." I knew exactly what he meant - Just Passing it On (but in a good way). I just hope they're back around again in a few years, so my youngest gets a chance.

If you missed this tour, you really did miss out. Pete is a genius and maybe that is the ultimate gift. No other band has Quad. No other band has anthem after anthem to put the cherry on top. No other band knows how to put on a show like they do. They put together an all star band anchored by Pino, Zack and Simon (not to mention the awesome "guest appearances" by The Ox and Keith). Roger's voice is as powerful as ever (if not quite in the same range) and Pete can still shred with the best of them. Put that all together with the creative genius of Pete's writing and you get -

The... Greatest... Live... Band.....!!!!!!!!

Going next Thursday to the Cancer Trust Benefit at the Theater at MSG. I know they'll only play 75-90 minutes, but that's fine. It will be a nice way to bid them farewell from our side of the Atlantic after 4 (also had the gift of seeing them blow everyone away at 121212) fantastic shows.

If you're in South Jersey or New England - catch one of the last few shows of the tour (and if you're in Europe - catch them as many times as you can later this year). You won't see anything like it for a very long time. I had to break the news to my boys this morning that not all concerts are like that. There aren't many shows that can match the power of The Who and especially Quadrophenia.

Pete - "It's nice to be back in the neighborhood."

Gift indeed. Thank you Roger and Pete for keeping the music alive.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

roger was singing great+
    pete was on fire+

saw 3 shows on this tour

worth every single penny

pete is my hero

long live rock

Long live rock, indeed. Atlantic City tonight, I just need a ticket or two ;)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Edson, like you I really couldn't see the visuals that well at my first show (although I had a fantastic view of the stage). The visuals were more of a distraction than anything. At my 2nd show I was farther back and higher and had a better view of the whole stage area. I'm glad to have had both perspectives.

As ya'll keep saying, these shows were a gift.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,307
    What a great show last night, 1st time since '06 for me. Great to see kids as young as 14-15 really getting into it and singing along. Really enjoyed the visuals, Keith and John's moments and Pete n Roger kickin ass on stage was fantastic.

I woke up at 445 yesterday morning, worked till 6pm, then went to the show and was exhausted. Had one of those shitty lil boxes in the 300 sec Pete's side....it actually worked out as I could sit(which I usually dont) and kinda relax and take it all in. Brought 2 people who never seen them...which is my favorite part of concerts, introducing people to good tunes :mrgreen:

Only gripe is the morons at the coliseum who dont know how to exit or wait on line...what a joke. People in Manhattan arent as dumb...and I'm a Long Islander my whole life, drives me nuts how clueless LIers are. Understand its an old building, dont make it worse
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    just scored 5th row pete's side for providence

man i'm glad the old geezers try that premium package crap and then can't sell em all ;)
  • Options
    just scored 5th row pete's side for providence

man i'm glad the old geezers try that premium package crap and then can't sell em all ;)

Except in real cities they did.
  • Options
    Anyone in NYC, a very reliable source (not me) indicated they sound checked I Can See For Miles, You Better You Bet, The Kids Are Alright and Pure 'n Easy last night before the Coliseum show

I saw them sound check See Me, Feel Me at Mohegan Sun before 121212, so the above is probably a good indication of what the benefit show at The Theater @ The Garden is in for.

Also, Simon Townshend indicated somewhere that his personal request is always The Seeker (though Roger picks the set list, so this may be the least reliable of all :lol: )

Regardless - if you were wondering if seeing The Who AGAIN (or for the first time) next week is worth it - count on it!!!!! (especially in this relatively small venue for them).
  • Options
    RD171825RD171825 Posts: 440
    To those who went to the Hamilton show what was with Pete telling a fan to "Fuck Off". Here is a link to the article

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/21/pe ... fans-heart
  • Options
    RD171825 wrote:
    To those who went to the Hamilton show what was with Pete telling a fan to "Fuck Off". Here is a link to the article

I wasn't there but I've read plenty about it. Dad takes his 7 year old to concert, puts her on his shoulders waving a big sign telling Pete to smash his guitar. They are up close and Pete finds it distracting. He asks them not to wave the sign and mouths "fuck off."

The dad now says he is a big fan and wants Pete to apologize to his daughter. Apparently he is such a big fan that he has no idea that Pete hasn't smashed a guitar onstage in years and has said repeatedly that he will not do it again. Dad is also somehow unaware that Pete gets angry onstage if you mess with him. Also, dad says he and his daughter watched TKAA together several times before going to the show yet he is surprised that Pete drops f-bombs.

Yeah, Pete shouldn't mouth obscenities at kids. Dad shouldn't take his child to concerts if he can't keep from being obnoxious. Daughter now has her 15 minutes of fame.
  • Options
    RD171825 wrote:

I wasn't there but I've read plenty about it. Dad takes his 7 year old to concert, puts her on his shoulders waving a big sign telling Pete to smash his guitar. They are up close and Pete finds it distracting. He asks them not to wave the sign and mouths "fuck off."

The dad now says he is a big fan and wants Pete to apologize to his daughter. Apparently he is such a big fan that he has no idea that Pete hasn't smashed a guitar onstage in years and has said repeatedly that he will not do it again. Dad is also somehow unaware that Pete gets angry onstage if you mess with him. Also, dad says he and his daughter watched TKAA together several times before going to the show yet he is surprised that Pete drops f-bombs.

Yeah, Pete shouldn't mouth obscenities at kids. Dad shouldn't take his child to concerts if he can't keep from being obnoxious. Daughter now has her 15 minutes of fame.

reminds me of the many pj fans who bring their kids to pj shows JUST for ed's tambourine. its a sickening new trend. IMO. the kid was 7 years old. leave them at home and keep the $150 for the ticket. IMNSHO
    and the BIG diff is pete tells em off...and ed gives them a tambourine!!!! oh ed....
    btw...i signed up my 6 year old niece to the 10c cause i want a tambourine. damnit :mrgreen:

seriously...the little girl had a sign that said "smash your guitar pete" :roll: :roll:
    dad and daughter team = TOTALLY CLUELESS AND FAME SEEKERS
  • Options
    Well said Who Princess.
    I was there and saw the whole thing go down.I don't do Facebook,but my wife is on it.She showed me the rant this guy put on there.
    This is what happens when you try to foist your musical tastes on your children.
    Dad said she makes him watch The Kids Are Alright all the time.Who exposed her to it in the first place?
    Dad also said it was her idea to make the sign,even though he said they don't do this type of thing anymore,(she insisted-really? Who runs the show here?) and that she made it.I saw the sign and there is no way a seven year old made it.
    This new phenomenon of parents pushing their tastes and ideas upon their kids,wanting to be their "friends" and hanging out with them is absurd.
    My daughter is 18,and although she has heard me play The Who,Stones, Zeppelin, etc.I have never made her listen to them .She has developed her musical experiences on her own as an individual. Just as I did.
    This guy is living vicariously through his kid,which is just wrong on so many levels.
    This is just my opinion.People are free to do what they want.But,beware of the law of unintended consequences.
  • Options
    Thanks, RoughMix.

OTOH, I know a guy who had front row seats at a 2007 show. He asked Pete for a pick and Pete told him to fuck off. This guy was thrilled! "Pete told me to fuck off!" It was aimed just at him! :lol:

Now this little girl has a memory she can look back on! :lol:
  • Options
    Thanks, RoughMix.

OTOH, I know a guy who had front row seats at a 2007 show. He asked Pete for a pick and Pete told him to fuck off. This guy was thrilled! "Pete told me to fuck off!" It was aimed just at him! :lol:

That's hilarious.Lucky guy!
    I was second row in Hamilton and Pete was yelling and cursing at people a number of times during the show.
    My buddy and I would just yell right back.
    He still has that "punk" attitude and is an uncompromising performer who doesn't stand for any phony bullshit.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Having seen the video of the sign thing, I don't see the big deal. It almost seems to be all in good fun, the audience is laughing, Pete only seems half serious. I don't see what the big deal is.

Pete can be a real dickhead, but this was nothing really.

I personally like to see any sign carrier get put in their place. If somebody's dumbass sign is blocking my view I'll launch that fucker into the upper balcony. The people behind you paid for tickets too, and they didn't pay to see the back of your sign.

As was pointed out, the taking kids to the concerts is rampant in the PJ community. I don't really get involved in the discussion, I don't know what their motivations are. Maybe their kid really likes PJ, and I'm not going to tell people what they can and can't do with their kids. I personally never saw a kid at a PJ concert until TB2K came out, then it seemed everybody was bringing their kid, I suspected in hopes of their kid getting a ride on Ed's shoulder during RITFW, but maybe I'm being too cynical. I haven't been to a show in recent years, but from what I hear it's become part of the rigmarole, for better or worse. From some posts you'd think it looks like a Wiggles concert out there, though I'm sure it's not THAT bad. I'm sure people probably do use their kids, whether they realize it or not, but some probably just want to share something with their kid (not everybody is into taking the kid to the ballpark or whatever) and if the kid is into it, then I don't give a shit. There also seem to be quite a few who take pride in how "cool" their kid is because they like Pearl Jam and stuff like that. Chances are they like the band because their parents do, little kids are like that, then when they get to be asshole teenagers they'll probably hate them out of spite, to those parent's horror. As long as they don't tell me to watch my language, or ask me to tie the little kids shoes during the encore or anything like that, it's no skin off my ass.

If I were a parent, concerts would be "daddy time". The last thing I want to do at a show is keep up with a kid, take them to the bathroom, and all that bullshit.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    RoughMix wrote:
    Thanks, RoughMix.

That's hilarious.Lucky guy!
    I was second row in Hamilton and Pete was yelling and cursing at people a number of times during the show.
    My buddy and I would just yell right back.
    He still has that "punk" attitude and is an uncompromising performer who doesn't stand for any phony bullshit.

He's also a lot of other things too that leave plenty to be desired. I love the Who and grew up listening to them seeing them back in 1987 (or '88)- an awesome experience.

But Pete has revealed himself as a bit of a twat in several ways over the years and this latest stunt shows that he is a bonafide asshole. Get over the little girl's sign, man. Of all things to get annoyed with... that's the biggest concern for you as a performer? Wow. What a great rock star.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    He's also a lot of other things too that leave plenty to be desired. I love the Who and grew up listening to them seeing them back in 1987 (or '88)- an awesome experience.

But Pete has revealed himself as a bit of a twat in several ways over the years and this latest stunt shows that he is a bonafide asshole. Get over the little girl's sign, man. Of all things to get annoyed with... that's the biggest concern for you as a performer? Wow. What a great rock star.
    Were you there? I keep reading comments on other boards from people who were sitting nearby. They're saying the whole thing was a brief incident and has been seriously overblown.

Even as a huge fan, I don't consider Pete the nicest guy. But as I've already posted above, I think this dad shouldn't have pulled the whole stunt in the first place and if he's as big a fan as he claims to be, he would have known better. Especially, why hold up a sign for Pete to smash his guitar at the very end of the show, during the band introductions? Maybe if she'd held up a sign that said "My first Who show" or "I love the Who" the response would have been something like "That's great, hope you had a good time." I've seen it happen. But the guitar smashing days have been over for more than a decade and it was never done on request. I think the dad is a poser.

Pete hasn't done anything controversial in a long time so I guess the media just needs something to write about confirming what a "bad boy" he is. I remember on the last tour he said something about being tired of seeing everybody in the audience wearing Who tee shirts. Somehow that got blown into a story when all he'd said was that he didn't wear shirts for the bands he likes, he understood that lots of people like to, but it's not his thing. That turned into a story about "Biting the hand that feeds him, Pete Townshend doesn't want fans to buy Who tees." :roll:
  • Options

Were you there? I keep reading comments on other boards from people who were sitting nearby. They're saying the whole thing was a brief incident and has been seriously overblown.

Even as a huge fan, I don't consider Pete the nicest guy. But as I've already posted above, I think this dad shouldn't have pulled the whole stunt in the first place and if he's as big a fan as he claims to be, he would have known better. Especially, why hold up a sign for Pete to smash his guitar at the very end of the show, during the band introductions? Maybe if she'd held up a sign that said "My first Who show" or "I love the Who" the response would have been something like "That's great, hope you had a good time." I've seen it happen. But the guitar smashing days have been over for more than a decade and it was never done on request. I think the dad is a poser.

Pete hasn't done anything controversial in a long time so I guess the media just needs something to write about confirming what a "bad boy" he is. I remember on the last tour he said something about being tired of seeing everybody in the audience wearing Who tee shirts. Somehow that got blown into a story when all he'd said was that he didn't wear shirts for the bands he likes, he understood that lots of people like to, but it's not his thing. That turned into a story about "Biting the hand that feeds him, Pete Townshend doesn't want fans to buy Who tees." :roll:

This topic has been discussed at lenght in the MT.

I saw you posted over there and I am assuming you read the reasons why I have said the things I wrote here.

I wasn't there so I can't profess to having a firsthand account to draw my sentiments from. In short though, I feel Pete overreacted to something that didn't seem all that offensive or inflammatory. It's not beneath him to act that way- he has a history of very questionable behaviour.

The girl didn't need to have a sign, but regardless... the fact that she did shouldn't be a reason to attack her and her father. I mean... after so many years of rocking... that's enough to set you off? Might be time to quit rocking if so.
  • Options
    This topic has been discussed at lenght in the MT.

I saw you posted over there and I am assuming you read the reasons why I have said the things I wrote here.

I wasn't there so I can't profess to having a firsthand account to draw my sentiments from. In short though, I feel Pete overreacted to something that didn't seem all that offensive or inflammatory. It's not beneath him to act that way- he has a history of very questionable behaviour.

The girl didn't need to have a sign, but regardless... the fact that she did shouldn't be a reason to attack her and her father. I mean... after so many years of rocking... that's enough to set you off? Might be time to quit rocking if so.
    I skimmed the thread on the MT. There was a lot of extraneous stuff that I'm tired of rehashing, so all I posted was a link to my comments in this thread and I only did that because g under p asked for my take on the situation.

My impression is that you think I'm defending Pete. I'm not. I said above that he shouldn't mouth obscenities at kids. It was nappropriate.

I have a bigger problem with the dad. I'm not a parent but I have nephews, a niece, and friends' children who are an important part of my life. A Who show is not a place for a 7 year old, IMO--at least if you don't want your child exposed to profanity! This guy says he is a big fan yet doesn't know that Pete says fuck a lot? Has he ever seen the Who before? Watched an old show or interview? Pete's been like that since the 60s. Watch an old boot--the biggest difference is he doesn't jump around the way he used to.

It's also nothing new that he gets pissed off on stage. Again, watch an old boot. His music and playing were always meant to be aggressive. This dad thinks that because his tickets were $300 he's entitled to his 15 minutes of fame? All that tells me is that he was willing to shell out for the VIP package or he doesn't know about ticket drops.

Like I said about the guitar smashing, that was very rare in the 80s and 90s and he quit doing it many years ago. He doesn't seem to like people asking him to do it. I think it was dumb thing for the dad to have his daughter do--at any concert.

I guess my point is, if you're a fan, you already know this stuff. The dad (either using his daughter to make the statement or failing to be a parent who sets boundaries) tried to make a stir and now is exploiting it for whatever reason. Maybe he needs some kind of "brush with greatness." If he hadn't posted it on Facebook, probably only the people in the front seats would have seen it. Have you watched the video? It's a pretty brief incident and he doesn't even look that pissed.

There are all kinds of things that I don't like about Pete. I don't like what happened at this show, although I think it's been overblown. I don't like how he treated Roger for many years, although they've moved past that. I don't like how he cheated on his wife, although they eventually divorced and he's been with Rachel about 15 years. I don't like that he was an addict and treated the people around him like crap, even though he's been sober many years. He's not my role model. What I like is his music.
  • Options
    Who Princess...

I have not gotten the impression you are defending Pete.

I think the Dad could have exercised better judgement, but his 'crime' pales in comparison to Pete's tirade over such a petty thing. Regardless... it's just my opinion and I may be wrong.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    From what I've read the daughter wanted her sign to say "Play Happy Jack" (not that it would have been a good idea either) and the father insisted on changing it to the guitar smashing thing.

Seeing as how this was the Quadropheina Tour, and the song Dr. Jimmy has the f-bomb in it, he shouldn't be upset just over the use of the word, even though Pete mouthed it and didn't really say it. The guy was probably a casual fan, judging by his actions. I'm a pretty casual Who fan, but even I would know not to do some shit like that, and know that the F bomb might make a few appearances, or songs about child molestation, masturbation, and all kinds of other stuff in Who songs. According to the man, who may or may not be full of shit, it was less to do with the word and more to do with it being directed at them. Which he says upset his daughter because she was upset her hero was mad at them. Even though it was directed at the father, a little kid might not understand that. Perhaps the show isn't the best place for a kid, but they accepted the ticket money without an age restriction, so that's beside the point.

As much as I think Pete's a douchebag, I still don't really see all the commotion over this. He almost appears to be joking, or just half-assing his way though his bad boy image in the video. The rest of the audience finds it humorous, and that might have more to do with why the dad is upset, he felt like an idiot for having an entire arena laughing at him.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    Who Princess...

I have not gotten the impression you are defending Pete.

I think the Dad could have exercised better judgement, but his 'crime' pales in comparison to Pete's tirade over such a petty thing. Regardless... it's just my opinion and I may be wrong.
    Thanks.

I think you have a point. But I'm still surprised that the whole story has taken off the way it has. The power of Facebook, I guess. That, and the fact that I never see any flattering stories about Pete, other than a few about his memoir. Great stories about Roger and all the charitable work he does--but Pete does too. I guess this story just seems to me to be a little overreaching, like "What can we find to show what a bad guy Pete is?"
  • Options
    From what I've read the daughter wanted her sign to say "Play Happy Jack" (not that it would have been a good idea either) and the father insisted on changing it to the guitar smashing thing.
    Now THAT would have gotten a laugh. :lol:
    They'd stopped playing Happy Jack long before Keith Moon died. It was fun live though, check it out on Live at Leeds and Live at Hull.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,562
    :corn: :wave:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11