World Cup 2014 - Brazil!

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I think he may be on to something:
    As the United States warms up for three clutch World Cup qualifiers, coach Jurgen Klinsmann remained philosophical after the game. "It was a negative result but an important game as it gets us right on our toes," he said. "I would rather play Belgium 10 more times than El Salvador a thousand times. That is how you learn."
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    So how does this work? How many more game/wins for the US to be in and when will we know by?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    So how does this work? How many more game/wins for the US to be in and when will we know by?

It's long road and we may not know for sure until October. Currently in round 4 of the North, Central American & Caribbean zone, there are six remaining teams at this stage:

Team..........MP W D L GF GA Pts
    Panama........3 1 2 0 5 3 5
    Costa Rica.....3 1 1 1 4 3 4
    USA.............3 1 1 1 2 2 4
    Honduras.......3 1 1 1 4 5 4
    Mexico..........3 0 3 0 2 2 3
    Jamaica.........3 0 2 1 1 3 2

top 3.5 teams make it through, they have all played 3 of 10 games.

USA results so far:
    06/02/13 15:00 San Pedro Sula Honduras 2:1 (1:1) USA L
    22/03/13 20:11 Commerce City USA 1:0 (1:0) Costa Rica W
    26/03/13 20:30 Mexico City Mexico 0:0 USA D

Remaining USA schedule:
    07/06/13 20:30 Kingston Jamaica - USA
    11/06/13 19:08 Seattle USA - Panama
    18/06/13 19:08 Sandy USA - Honduras
    06/09/13 TBA Costa Rica - USA
    10/09/13 TBA USA - Mexico
    11/10/13 TBA USA - Jamaica
    15/10/13 TBA Panama - USA

USA has always had tough time winning or even drawing at away games in the region, so the strategy is to win the home games and just hang on for the away ones and hope they end up in the top three. Mexico is normally the biggest rival, so it's a good thing they tied them in Mexico City back in March.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Thanks
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Thanks

sorry, maybe that was too much, I had to look it up, they sure don't make it easy:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminar ... index.html
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    How bad is the blood bath going to be Sunday?
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I guess Germany isn't bringing over all of their top players. But yeah, this still won't be pretty. Germany will control the ball for a majority of the game and US defense will be on its heels the whole game.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

the-shining-elevator-blood-o.gif GIFSoup
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    Is this happening?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I guess Germany isn't bringing over all of their top players. But yeah, this still won't be pretty. Germany will control the ball for a majority of the game and US defense will be on its heels the whole game.

Yeah, no Dortmund or Bayern players, I think they said.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE these jerseys they are wearing. I have been wanting to buy a jersey for a while, thinking about pulling the trigger on this bad boy

http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00m113813bb.html

Until I am at the bar and spill beer all over the beautiful white jersey.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Is this happening?

Can't believe they're up 2-0 at half. Sweet goal by Altidore...great cross from Zusi. That 2nd goal was a gift...I don't know what the hell that German goalie was doing.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Is this happening?

Can't believe they're up 2-0 at half. Sweet goal by Altidore...great cross from Zusi. That 2nd goal was a gift...I don't know what the hell that German goalie was doing.

Pretty wild. Good to see some life out of Altidore. Complete gift. Is it just me or do we get more gifts like that than most teams?
    Clint motherfucking Dempsey. By far my favorite us player ever
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He is a badass. What a goal.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He is a badass. What a goal.

Yeah one hell of a shot
    Great to get a 4-3 win. These guys need to learn how to hold a lead....nothing ever comes easy for the US.
    Great to get a 4-3 win. These guys need to learn how to hold a lead....nothing ever comes easy for the US.

I think more important than the score was how well they played. Defense is still very sketchy but great midfield play and some great finishes. Basically it was a tie because that own goal was ridiculous.
    great result for the US, good to see them score, better to see them defend well for most of the game. This game is a great confidence booster going into Jamaica.

Also, I just love hearing Ian Darke call a game, he is my favorite announcer. A great line he had:

"Micheal Bradley is the glue that holds the team together: just give me the ball and I will generally do something reasonable with the it"
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    great result for the US, good to see them score, better to see them defend well for most of the game. This game is a great confidence booster going into Jamaica.

Also, I just love hearing Ian Darke call a game, he is my favorite announcer. A great line he had:

"Micheal Bradley is the glue that holds the team together: just give me the ball and I will generally do something reasonable with the it"

I thought the defense was poor. There were a lot of opportunities for Germany in the first half that they should have finished on. Too many major blunders. It wasn't all bad and there was some good play on the back line but I thought overall is was not nearly good enough.

I agree that it good for their confidence. Maybe Altidore will live up to some of his potential now.
    tonight the USA plays Jamaica in Kingstown, should be a tough game for the USA.

Will anyone be able to actually watch it?? It is supposed to be broadcast on beIN, whatever the heck that is, I sure don't get it.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Will anyone be able to actually watch it?? It is supposed to be broadcast on beIN, whatever the heck that is, I sure don't get it.

I think there are like two bars in Philly that get it. Won't be watching.
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

620 on DirecTV If you like sports and don't have DirecTV you're a fool. I'm sure some cable systems have it, but there is never a doubt with sports and DirecTv.

Ive been watching non boring (ie non Italy) qualifiers all day. Which raises a question - do Italians even like Italy brand soccer?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    good win tonight
    seems we will take the 2nd place at the group..
    so we play extra game..still chances
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    1-0 U.S.A. At half, Altidore with the goal in the 30'. We need to hold this lead and come away with the win.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    And they pulled it off in the 92', 2-1 over Jamaica. :thumbup:
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
    terrific win by the USA, that will do a lot for the campaign. Doesn't hurt that Mexico and Panama tied. Next up is USA vs Panama on Tuesday, should have a great home crowd in Seattle.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    terrific win by the USA, that will do a lot for the campaign. Doesn't hurt that Mexico and Panama tied. Next up is USA vs Panama on Tuesday, should have a great home crowd in Seattle.

Yeah, that was great. I don't get that channel it was on and the bar I was at didnt have it either so I only saw highlights. So huge to come right back and score for the win after they tied it up in the 89th minute. Thought it was going to be another typical US letdown on the road.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Good result. Nice to see Altidore score again. Hope he just explodes now. Still bad defense on the goal they gave up. There were three Jamaican players alone behind the line defensive line. If they dont get better defensively they will will not go anywhere.
    watching Mexico vs Costa Rica - what a wild game, no score, second half just started, Mexico just can't seem to get their act together