How to have a green lush lawn in 3 easy steps

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Bought my first house last year. The winter killed my lawn. so this weekend i tilled I just fertilized and seeded the lawn, bought an automatic water timer for my sprinklers. How long and often should the water go on? I have it set for an hour daily at 4 am. But the hippie in me says that's way too much wasted water...

an hour daily? Seems like too much. I've got mine set to water every 3-4 days.

we're talking fresh seeding.

established yards need like an inch a week.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    81 wrote:
    Bought my first house last year. The winter killed my lawn. so this weekend i tilled I just fertilized and seeded the lawn, bought an automatic water timer for my sprinklers. How long and often should the water go on? I have it set for an hour daily at 4 am. But the hippie in me says that's way too much wasted water...

Ahh, Ok, I thought you just doused it for the first few days, then set it to normal. I dont know anything about getting my seed to stick.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    All this rain were getting would have been great if my seeds and fertilizer would have been down first. :fp:

Shooting for next week hopefully?
    All this rain were getting would have been great if my seeds and fertilizer would have been down first. :fp:

:fp:

yup... i should have done it monday.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

:fp:

yup... i should have done it monday.
    There is NOTHING better than rain.
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    ]
    81 wrote:

A

ok so i probably will change it to 15 minutes every other day or 3 soon after i get some sprouts
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    can I still seed now? :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    Sure can :)
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
    There is NOTHING better than rain.

you sure about that. :lol:

put down the fertilizer and seed sunday. hopefully it didn't all wash away today. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    I am now the proud owner of an All Purpose seed/fertilizer spreader.
    I now also own a bag of Spring fertilizer(mid April to June) and a bag of Summer fertilizer (mid June to Who gives a fuck).

The Spring fertilizer is down, it will sit for 24 hours, and then the rain will show up.
    Which according to instructions, is exactly what I want.

Its a BIG FUCKING DAY!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    These trees are killing me. All my seed dies.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    My neighbor does everything in his power to have a perfect lawn. He bought this fertilizer that is used on soccer lawns and the water sprinklers is on almost every evening in summer, it's always in perfect condition and I can see how he looks at our lawn and laughs at it.. :)
    my fertilizer is really kicking in now. Grows fast, and is lush and green. But i was working out there for 3 hours saturday morning. It got so hot I missed RSD. But we did have a few drinks and play bocci ball on the freshly mowed carpet in the late afternoon. :D
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,504
    polaris_x wrote:
    get rid of your lawn and plant native plants ... they will be more tolerant to your weather and in the long run less to maintain ... i don't get why people would want to maintain lawns ... you grow the grass just so you can cut it ... you pump a bunch of weed killer and other pesticides so nothing else grows on it ... then you gotta use all this water to keep it green ... :fp:

get a haircut...and get a real job, hippie! :lol:

my advice---train your dog NOT to pee right off the deck. :fp: been starting over on this one 3ft by 3ft patch for about 4 years now. the dog is winning this battle. :x
    www.myspace.com
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Only really need 2 steps.

1. Weed and feed every 3 months with that Scott's turfbuilder stuff. But the right bag for the season.
    2. Don't cut the grass too short - especially after spring ends. Better to cut it long than cut it too short once the hotter and drier weather starts.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,504
    know1 wrote:
    Only really need 2 steps.

1. Weed and feed every 3 months with that Scott's turfbuilder stuff. But the right bag for the season.
    2. Don't cut the grass too short - especially after spring ends. Better to cut it long than cut it too short once the hotter and drier weather starts.

couldn't agree with number 2 more.
    www.myspace.com
    Was a great day to throw down some fertilizer and seed!

And man, did my dog shit a lot this winter.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293

:lol:
    Just added so more seed to bare spots before the week long rain that's apparently coming. How's everyone's else grass coming along?
    back yard is looking halfways decent.

the front and side. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Just added so more seed to bare spots before the week long rain that's apparently coming. How's everyone's else grass coming along?

Lush as fuck down here. Getting good rains and plenty o sunshine!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I went Nuclear option and had the lawn sprayed.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I went Nuclear option and had the lawn sprayed.
    My neighbors get that done. I have about 4 feet of really nice looking grass. The rest looks like shit.
    I need to nuke the area between the sidewalk and curb. Good god.

Did set up the timer for the sprinkler so i water at the proper time of day. I'm gonna have a nice backyard damn it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Move into the house next door. From what I understand the grass is always greener over there.

This. This is your answer.

:lol:
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I've said this before - Plenty of cheap beer !!!! Just pour beer into one of those sprayers and spray your lawn...

Its very natural and does a wonderful job in making the lawn very green, dethatches and kills most bugs.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    mikalina wrote:
    I've said this before - Plenty of cheap beer !!!! Just pour beer into one of those sprayers and spray your lawn...

Its very natural and does a wonderful job in making the lawn very green, dethatches and kills most bugs.

but then i wouldn't be able to drink it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055

:lol: I always dread that first thaw. Like a goddamn mine field. Takes 45 minutes and two grocery bags.

I have neglected my lawn forever. I laid some crab grass preventer, which did nothing. I think I have every kind of weed growing somewhere. My dandelions laughed last time I put weed n feed down. They just grew faster. I may have to bite the bullet and call the spray truck guys. $45 per application. :fp:
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    did some spraying tonight.

i do the mix it in a sprayer concentrate. cause i'm cheap

says don't let it freeze. pretty sure mine froze, as it was left in teh shed over the winter. not sure the impact freezing has on it. said to mix about 2.5oz per mix. pretty sure i at least doubled if not tripled that. the west side of my yard between teh sidewalk and street is a complete wasteland of dandilions. i layed down the anti weed nice and heavy. wait a week and do it again.

set the sprinkler to water the west side of the yard tonight
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Lawn looks great, but I cant get rid of the damned White Fly!
    Its a new thing here I think. Invasive species..very annoying.
    I've spent nearly $400 treating a big gumbo limbo tree in my back yard and nothing seems to work 100%.