How to have a green lush lawn in 3 easy steps

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Lush
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Meg8686 wrote:
    Grass is my specialty 8-)

mine too but i'm gonna guess we're not talking about the same thing :think:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Meg8686,

What is your opinion on mulching mowers? saves time from emptying the bag in the wheelie bin, but does it really benefit the lawn?

I've got so much moss in the lawn right now it's choking out the grass, weeds too. :|

I'm about ready to hire someone to 'fix' everything, and then take over with maintenance. :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Like one of these RKCNDY?
    SuperStock_1829-11691.jpg
    youngster and I were talking about the benefits of these the other day
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

that's a reel mower. the are suppose to be good as they shaear the grass vs. ripping at it like a powered mower can.

a mulching mower doesn't have a side discharger or rear bagging. it just spins it around and is suppose to chop it into tiny particles that can quickly be reaborbed by the lawn.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

no...it's like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-kF1XRoSuYv8byU_teIhi5hBqtBe1d26Bjc5rfCzc6pDfS5QI
    (the lawn is too big for one of those...I really want one)

self propelled, you can mulch or bag the stuff. The lawn gets mulched when it can get mowed within a week or 2 of the last mow. Currently, it's been raining more often, the grass grows like crazy. in 2 weeks it grew 8", so it had to be bagged this time. I really should go in the back to do the weed and feed...but it's raining today. :x

At least the front looks nice.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Meg8686,

What is your opinion on mulching mowers? saves time from emptying the bag in the wheelie bin, but does it really benefit the lawn?

I've got so much moss in the lawn right now it's choking out the grass, weeds too. :|

I'm about ready to hire someone to 'fix' everything, and then take over with maintenance. :lol:

Mulching mowers are good, but make sure the clipping are evenly scattered as some leave clumps on the grass and this is not so good, the mulch of clippings will help supress weeds and retain moisture which is good but will need to fork it to aerate the lawn which improves the drainage and might help get rid of the moss. If you want to hire someone, do it, might be a good idea for a large area you just want controlled. Once it's looking good you can maintain it yourself a bit easier :)
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    81 wrote:
    vduboise wrote:
    sorry to say- its best to start over. I did with the back yard, had it tilled and seeded and after 1 month or so- beautiful green grass. There are a few weeds, but in another month I can do some weed and feed and get rid of them. You can always put down sod- but it can be expensive if you have a big yard.

Make sure it gets plenty of water and feed it in the beginning and end of the season.

good luck.

any issues with tree roots when you tilled?

did you till twice? i read someplace and they said to till twice. :fp:
    there were a lot of roots and we also had thick vines throughout the whole thing. It wasn't properly taken care of before us, and we didn't do anything to it for 5 years. So the plants/vines were out of control.

we had a guy to come in and till it. He used a mini bobcat like machine. It took him 3 days even with the machine to till and grade the area (30 x100).
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    81 wrote:

that's a reel mower. the are suppose to be good as they shaear the grass vs. ripping at it like a powered mower can.

a mulching mower doesn't have a side discharger or rear bagging. it just spins it around and is suppose to chop it into tiny particles that can quickly be reaborbed by the lawn.
    I have one of those. Avoid them if you have any hills ... or a large lawn.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:

I have one of those. Avoid them if you have any hills ... or a large lawn.

...Or if you enjoy having 10 toes...or simply want to stay sane.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181

If I had one of those to mow 3-5 acres it would take 3 days to mow it.

One Key:

Get fertilizer but not from Home Depot or Lowes but from a commercial dealer. The fertilizer is much better i got a discount...I bought 8 50lb bags at around $19 per bag I recall. Make sure when you spread you don't have ANY heaps or it'll burn a hole through the grass and through the ground. I had 3 such holes spreading with the ATV but mainly in the back next to the lake.

Truly Nolan sprays once a month to keep ants and weeds away. This year the grass as looked the best to date and it does help that we get a rain shower just about everyday now in S Florida.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:

Get fertilizer but not from Home Depot or Lowes but from a commercial dealer. The fertilizer is much better i got a discount...I bought 8 50lb bags at around $19 per bag I recall.

like from a feed store/co-op?

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Get fertilizer but not from Home Depot or Lowes but from a commercial dealer. The fertilizer is much better i got a discount...I bought 8 50lb bags at around $19 per bag I recall.

like from a feed store/co-op?

Yes something like that...the one we went and have been going to for years services the commercial growers and farmers out here. All the landscape people go there to get their fertilizer there.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    I can't believe that I just read 5 pages about lawn care.

Here's my question:

Ever summer we get patches of grass that have thicker leaves and grow faster than the rest of our lawn. The day after we mow the grass, these patches are already longer than the rest of our lawn.
    I know its not crabgrass (it doesn't grow i clumps) but I have no idea what type of grass it is and how to get rid of it.
  • perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    For those bigger yards;
    2c76bef3.jpg
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
    For those bigger yards;
    2c76bef3.jpg

Oh man instead of 3 days with the push mower THIS one would take maybe one day. Nice idea as in how I love bicycles.

Peace

• Ok so have to admit, when I first read the title of this post, and the poster, wasm't quite sure where this was going.. :lol: :?
    Sydney Ent Centre: 10/03/1995

All the rusted signs we ignore thoughout our lives
    Choosing the shiny ones instead
    Ok so have to admit, when I first read the title of this post, and the poster, wasm't quite sure where this was going.. :lol: :?

:?: you must have lurked alot the last 6 months. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Sorry if I offended 81 ;)

Sorry if I offended 81 ;)

who's offended :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Find you fascingnatingly disturbing 81.. ;) :oops: . Excuse the spelling had a few drinks tonight...

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    Well..
    My front lawn? Which is fucking TINY compared to some of yours?

Well I am about a month behind my neighbors.
    I decided no matter what, I was going to kill each and every fucking weed I had. Whether it be by chemicals, or uprooting those fuckers, I was going to kill every fucking weed, and then work on the grass.

Well after killing the weeds, I have sprayed the lawn with some type of "lawn revival" crap I bought at Menards. I will spray it again next week. I have been watering the holy hell out of it the last 2 weeks.

Its looking much better.
    But it still looks like CRAP!!!! hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

I also threw a bag of seed on it a week or so ago.
    I figured "What the hell, it couldnt hurt"

The birds were thrilled! hehehe
    Fuckers!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    For those bigger yards;
    landscapingcrew.jpg

Fixed
    GoiMTvP.gif
    For those bigger yards;
    landscapingcrew.jpg

Fixed

that crew is too white

disclaimer, no offense meant to our hispanic friends.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Well..

I decided no matter what, I was going to kill each and every fucking weed I had. Whether it be by chemicals, or uprooting those fuckers, I was going to kill every fucking weed, and then work on the grass.

Well after killing the weeds, I have sprayed the lawn with some type of "lawn revival" crap I bought at Menards. I will spray it again next week. I have been watering the holy hell out of it the last 2 weeks.

Its looking much better.

Fuckers!

i did that weed popping thing over a big chuck of my yard. back yard looks alot better, all though still some pots that need some grass. but the weeds are mostly gone. need to weed the side yard yet.

started poking holes in the front yard. front and part of the sides, the dirt is like one big brick. :fp: i'm gonna make it a twilight ritual to poke holes for a bit every night.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    I can't believe that I just read 5 pages about lawn care.

Here's my question:

Ever summer we get patches of grass that have thicker leaves and grow faster than the rest of our lawn. The day after we mow the grass, these patches are already longer than the rest of our lawn.
    I know its not crabgrass (it doesn't grow i clumps) but I have no idea what type of grass it is and how to get rid of it.

:lol: I just did the same damn thing.

I have the same issue with my lawn. It's annoying as hell. I'm soon tempted to just rip the whole yard up adn start over
    81 wrote:
    Well..

Its looking much better.

Fuckers!

i did that weed popping thing over a big chuck of my yard. back yard looks alot better, all though still some pots that need some grass. but the weeds are mostly gone. need to weed the side yard yet.

started poking holes in the front yard. front and part of the sides, the dirt is like one big brick. :fp: i'm gonna make it a twilight ritual to poke holes for a bit every night.

They have aerotor spikes that you can put on the bottom of your shoes. It's such a novel idea instead of taking a tool and look like you're stabbing the shit out of your lawn.

Plus it gives you a free hand to carry a cocktail in hand and walk aimlessly around your yard. :lol:
    They have aerotor spikes that you can put on the bottom of your shoes. It's such a novel idea instead of taking a tool and look like you're stabbing the shit out of your lawn.

Plus it gives you a free hand to carry a cocktail in hand and walk aimlessly around your yard. :lol:

i read somewhere that those are junk and to not use them.

i wonder if truck guy could let us borrow his professional machines for a day. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i wonder if truck guy could let us borrow his professional machines for a day. :lol:

can you imagine the fun we'd have with those things? :lol: I'd be in yard heaven for awhile.
    81 wrote:

can you imagine the fun we'd have with those things? :lol: I'd be in yard heaven for awhile.

i love power tools. 8-)

maybe i should rent one....and do the entire neighbor hood :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg