How to have a green lush lawn in 3 easy steps

Comments

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    sooooo....what are the steps?

:fp:
    You know what.... Fuck it! you give me computer lessons I'll fix you lawn!

you wanna learn excel? access? i do it all.
    Self satisfaction goes right out the door :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Self satisfaction goes right out the door :lol:

seeing your protégé excel > lawn work. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    You could buy some of that plastic grass.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,793
    Claireack wrote:
    You could buy some of that plastic grass.
    again, too cheap. :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Move into the house next door. From what I understand the grass is always greener over there.

This. This is your answer.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    quit peeing on it
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    norm wrote:
    quit peeing on it

Yup, but poo is a good fertilizer I hear, so you can poo on your lawn. Yes, thats is the secret. it is out. Poo on your lawn. no pee, just poo.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg503/joshtruck3/brewers2.jpg
    Hope that worked? Never uploaded a photo before? Me on the left...

perhaps you can cut out a few hundred square feet of turf and bring it down :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    sorry to say- its best to start over. I did with the back yard, had it tilled and seeded and after 1 month or so- beautiful green grass. There are a few weeds, but in another month I can do some weed and feed and get rid of them. You can always put down sod- but it can be expensive if you have a big yard.

Make sure it gets plenty of water and feed it in the beginning and end of the season.

good luck.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,793
    vduboise wrote:
    sorry to say- its best to start over. I did with the back yard, had it tilled and seeded and after 1 month or so- beautiful green grass. There are a few weeds, but in another month I can do some weed and feed and get rid of them. You can always put down sod- but it can be expensive if you have a big yard.

Make sure it gets plenty of water and feed it in the beginning and end of the season.

good luck.
    I may have to do this with half the GF's backyard. just need to get some temp fencing to keep the dogs off the dirt.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    vduboise wrote:

good luck.

any issues with tree roots when you tilled?

did you till twice? i read someplace and they said to till twice. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    sooooo....what are the steps?

:fp:
    You know what.... Fuck it! you give me computer lessons I'll fix you lawn!

you wanna learn excel? access? i do it all.
    Forget it... you'll just have to teach me again in a week anyway. Figures. After all these years I finally take the time to learn how to post a pic then this happens. :fp:
    I'll add a serious post too -- I also learned (this might only be applicable to Florida) that what time of day that you water is important. Here, its best to water around 6 am, just before the sun comes up. If you water in the day time when its hot, the sun can burn up your wet grass, but if you water too late at night, you risk more fungus, disease, and zombie infections on your lawn.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    I'll add a serious post too -- I also learned (this might only be applicable to Florida) that what time of day that you water is important. Here, its best to water around 6 am, just before the sun comes up. If you water in the day time when its hot, the sun can burn up your wet grass, but if you water too late at night, you risk more fungus, disease, and zombie infections on your lawn.

i've heard that too. i need a timer for the sprinkler. hell, a built in sprinkler system would be nice as well.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i've heard that too. i need a timer for the sprinkler. hell, a built in sprinkler system would be nice as well.

Oh man, a timer is the key. definitely. I had a good lawn on my old place, and i killed it by lack of consistency. My current place has a timer and its green green green..
  • Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    Usually I charge £15 an hour for this sort of advice but you guys can have it for free..

January - March

lightly scarify the surface by raking the lawn -this removes moss, which improves the aeration, it also encourages the grass to shoot which will bring on a thicker fibrous growth. Do this once, twice, not at all throughout these months, depends how dense the lawn is.

Sow new grass seed or lay turf in mid spring
    -but only if you can provide it with water, if not, leave sowing lawn seed untill the autumn.

April - May

Mow established lawns fortnightly - or as much as you can be bothered to do it, Some people choose weekly.
    Apply a nitrogen rich spring feed - encourage fresh new growth and greener grass. If you have a shady garden, you won't need to use a nitrogen fert(this will encourage green growth which turns to mush.)
    You can use weed/moss killers too
    Water lawns -once a week-fortnight unless it rains

June -July

As Above
    Scarify- unless its a drought - it encourages new growth and removes dead build up
    feed a nitrogen rich fertiliser to yellow areas

August
    As above
    Continue mowing- but increase the height of the blades

September- October
    Scarify and and use a fork to areate the ground-this will wimprove the soil structue and drainage which encourges the healthy growth of grass and controls moss.
    Apply a balanced fertiliser to encourage root formation. This has less nitrogen (as you don't want the grass putting on too much of a growth spurt going into the winter.)
    Sow grass seed or Lay turf now

November- January
    Mow the lawn a final time.
    Remove debris and scarify lawn .. a lot
    - rake up allll the dead shit, then basically your done, leave it alone untill next year when I promise it will look 100x better.
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
    For problems with compacted ground, weed control, repairing areas, sowing seed/ turfing , questions about shady areas or fine luxury lawn care ..... PM me :lol:
    Meg8686 wrote:
    For problems with compacted ground, weed control, repairing areas, sowing seed/ turfing , questions about shady areas or fine luxury lawn care ..... PM me :lol:

ever been to the states? wanna come over for a year? room and board provided.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    From experience don't over fertilize. :fp:
    81 wrote:
    Meg8686 wrote:

Would this be a secret room under the ground?
    Meg8686 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Meg8686 wrote:

Would this be a secret room under the ground?

only if the lawn doesn't look great in a year. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

only if the lawn doesn't look great in a year. :lol:

Fair enough, although it wouldn't happen. Grass is my speciality 8-)
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Meg8686 wrote:

you do know this is US grass? ... specifically midwest grass ... it probably prefers dried donuts and mountain dew over regular fertilizer and water ... 8-)
    polaris_x wrote:
    Meg8686 wrote:

you do know this is US grass? ... specifically midwest grass ... it probably prefers dried donuts and mountain dew over regular fertilizer and water ... 8-)

Keep the lawn mown to two inches, areate the f**k out of it and feed it a few more nitrogen feeds...

I Love gardening, only been studying for 2 years but will have 4 Qualifications by the end of this month.
    My plan is to work as a horticulturalist & travel about. Just started a my own gardening business this month and have my final Horticulture exams on 28th of June... Hopefully PJ gig on the 20th will not hinder my revision ... much :)
    so what i have i learned...

either till the shit out of it and start over...

or areate it and feed it with nitrogen....got it....

guess i should run that one special rake over it as well. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Meg8686 wrote:
    Keep the lawn mown to two inches, areate the f**k out of it and feed it a few more nitrogen feeds...

I Love gardening, only been studying for 2 years but will have 4 Qualifications by the end of this month.
    My plan is to work as a horticulturalist & travel about. Just started a my own gardening business this month and have my final Horticulture exams on 28th of June... Hopefully PJ gig on the 20th will not hinder my revision ... much :)

my friend owns a landscaping company ... if you visit toronto - i can hook you up with her ...
    Honestly there is so much funding out there to get to go a study plants in the field.
    Any Gardeners under 35 visit google the Merlin trust. they fund trips abroad for gardeners looking to make a career in horticulture. Have been in contact with thier office planning an adventure & not enough people know about this excellent trust. Was thinking about a trip to the states to study some plants and get some work experience. Or Maybe Oz... I will literally cross oceans to go hang out in an awesome garden or to see a good tree
    Meg8686 wrote:
    see a good tree

i have a little baby maple tree that started growing in the garden. i dug that little fellow up and put him in a pot. he stared the year with half a dozen leaves and now he has grown about 8 inches taller and added countless more leaves. he's my pride and joy. i look forward to planting him some place some day.

i'm serious.

you are welcome to stop by and say hi to him. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    lather
    rinse
    repeat

lmao...been reading your posts for sometime now... i gotta say your a funny cat

:clap:
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    Nami wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    lather
    rinse
    repeat

lmao...been reading your posts for sometime now... i gotta say your a funny cat

:clap:

don't encourage him :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg