Options

Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Options
    RD171825RD171825 Posts: 440
    reesdog wrote:
    RD171825 wrote:
    reesdog wrote:
    Picked this up recently, original on vinyl...
    15oja7t.jpg
    Damn how much did you get this one for? Another ebay find like Mirrorball?
    Not quite, got this one from Discogs, US$50 including shipping, so am pretty happy with that, such a great album! Also have another Neil album turning up soon... :)

Damn... how you keep finding these things for such a steal is beyond me. Ive never seen it for less than 100 bucks.. You must just get lucky. If you ever see Mirorrball and Ragged Glory for a decent price let me know lol
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    reesdog wrote:
    RD171825 wrote:
    reesdog wrote:
    Picked this up recently, original on vinyl...
    15oja7t.jpg
    Damn how much did you get this one for? Another ebay find like Mirrorball?
    Not quite, got this one from Discogs, US$50 including shipping, so am pretty happy with that, such a great album! Also have another Neil album turning up soon... :)
    RD171825 wrote:
    Damn... how you keep finding these things for such a steal is beyond me. Ive never seen it for less than 100 bucks.. You must just get lucky. If you ever see Mirorrball and Ragged Glory for a decent price let me know lol

It never ceases to amaze me how much these records are going for. I bought this album new when it came out for something like $7.99 and asked how much the record store owner wanted for the large poster that was put out for the release (the one that says "feedback is back" across the photo) that they had in the window. "Oh, you can have it," the guy said, and then pulled it down, rolled it up and off I went, a hugely happy huge Neil fan! And now the record alone- $50 to $100? Crazy.

This is one of my favorite N.Y. records but they really need to reissue this on two vinyl discs. The record is too long for one disc. The grooves are tiny and that compromises the sound a bit. Better than the CD, for sure, but it need to go to two discs to deliver the full power of The Horse.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    RD171825 wrote:
    Yeah I did get lucky, it was 23 Euros, which came to US$33 for the record alone, US$50 all up. There are deals to be found out there for sure, patience is the key I guess. There are quite a few records I'm after that are considered pricey, but I just keep an eye out and when there's a bargain I swoop on in haha! For sure I'll keep an eye out for you, I saw Mirrorball again recently for US$100 with free shipping, is that a good price for you or too steep?
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    It never ceases to amaze me how much these records are going for. I bought this album new when it came out for something like $7.99 and asked how much the record store owner wanted for the large poster that was put out for the release (the one that says "feedback is back" across the photo) that they had in the window. "Oh, you can have it," the guy said, and then pulled it down, rolled it up and off I went, a hugely happy huge Neil fan! And now the record alone- $50 to $100? Crazy.

This is one of my favorite N.Y. records but they really need to reissue this on two vinyl discs. The record is too long for one disc. The grooves are tiny and that compromises the sound a bit. Better than the CD, for sure, but it need to go to two discs to deliver the full power of The Horse.
    I got lucky?? Brian here he got LUCKY! Picking up this record brand new for $7.99, that what I'm talking about... :thumbup:
  • Options
    RD171825RD171825 Posts: 440
    reesdog wrote:
    RD171825 wrote:
    Yeah I did get lucky, it was 23 Euros, which came to US$33 for the record alone, US$50 all up. There are deals to be found out there for sure, patience is the key I guess. There are quite a few records I'm after that are considered pricey, but I just keep an eye out and when there's a bargain I swoop on in haha! For sure I'll keep an eye out for you, I saw Mirrorball again recently for US$100 with free shipping, is that a good price for you or too steep?

$100 US with free shipping is decent. I'd pay that for sure.
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

I got lucky?? Brian here he got LUCKY! Picking up this record brand new for $7.99, that what I'm talking about... :thumbup:

They used to cal me "Lucky Lux" :lol:

The poster was definitely good luck. The record itself was just the going rate when vinyl was king. :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Thought I'd show this I managed to get a little while back for the vinyl-heads in this thread....

Second-hand:
    35jjq5y.jpg
    Neil Young - Mirrorball:
    Original German pressing from the great year 1995.
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

The poster was definitely good luck. The record itself was just the going rate when vinyl was king. :D
    Haha, well there's definitely alot worse nicknames you could have!

So Brian, I'd be very interested to know exactly what you do have from Neil Young on vinyl. Could you make a list or take a photo or something of your Neil collection, including Crazy Horse stuff too please?
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

So Brian, I'd be very interested to know exactly what you do have from Neil Young on vinyl. Could you make a list or take a photo or something of your Neil collection, including Crazy Horse stuff too please?

My Neil/Crazy Horse vinyl collection goes back quite a ways. Definitely a few gaps in there (some of which I have on CD so I can't say I've truly heard them ;) ), especially the more recent stuff. Let's see...

Neil Young (self-titled)
    Live on Sugar Mountain, February 1, 1971 (bootleg)
    Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
    After the Gold Rush
    Harvest
    Time Fades Away
    On the Beach
    Tonight's the Night
    Zuma
    American Stars and Bars
    Decade
    Comes a Time
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Live Rust
    Re-ac-tor
    Trans
    Old Ways
    Life
    Freedom
    Ragged Glory
    Harvest Moon
    Sleeps With Angels
    Mirror Ball
    Broken Arrow
    Year of the Horse
    Silver & Gold
    Are You Passionate?
    Living With War
    Americana

• Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Do you all know about free US shipping on orders at Neil's site? Only for this last weekend I think so not much longer.
    http://neilyoung.warnerbrosrecords.com/
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    reesdog wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

My Neil/Crazy Horse vinyl collection goes back quite a ways. Definitely a few gaps in there (some of which I have on CD so I can't say I've truly heard them ;) ), especially the more recent stuff. Let's see...

Neil Young (self-titled)
    After the Gold Rush
    Harvest
    Time Fades Away
    On the Beach
    Tonight's the Night
    Zuma
    American Stars and Bars
    Decade
    Comes a Time
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Live Rust
    Re-ac-tor
    Trans
    Old Ways
    Life
    Freedom
    Ragged Glory
    Harvest Moon
    Sleeps With Angels
    Mirror Ball
    Broken Arrow
    Year of the Horse
    Silver & Gold
    Are You Passionate?
    Living With War
    Americana
    Wow, sweet list dude! You pretty much have near everything, all in good condition? I only have 6 albums on vinyl so far, a few others on CD same as you.

So any favourites? Hard to choose I know...
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    reesdog wrote:

Neil Young (self-titled)
    After the Gold Rush
    Harvest
    Time Fades Away
    On the Beach
    Tonight's the Night
    Zuma
    American Stars and Bars
    Decade
    Comes a Time
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Live Rust
    Re-ac-tor
    Trans
    Old Ways
    Life
    Freedom
    Ragged Glory
    Harvest Moon
    Sleeps With Angels
    Mirror Ball
    Broken Arrow
    Year of the Horse
    Silver & Gold
    Are You Passionate?
    Living With War
    Americana
    Wow, sweet list dude! You pretty much have near everything, all in good condition? I only have 6 albums on vinyl so far, a few others on CD same as you.

So any favourites? Hard to choose I know...

They're all in great shape except the bootleg which a friend gave to me. Even that is not too bad. I'm pretty fussy about keeping records clean and in good inner and outer sleeves. Favorites- oh my, yes, so hard to choose! If I had to pick just five I'd say Zuma, Rust Never Sleeps, Ragged Glory, Mirror Ball and Broken Arrow based in which ones I've listened to the most. But on the other hand, when I'm in the mood to hear it there is no album in the world like "Tonight's the Night" and for just two or three cuts alone I can't imagine not having "Year of the Horse". And every album has at least something remarkable on it.

How about you, reesdog? Any strong favorites?

• Options
    Nice choices Brian, I'm a big Neil fan, but am sorry to say have never heard the classic Tonight's the Night, I must remedy that soon! So my fave's, well like I said I don't have nearly as many on vinyl as you, only:

After the Goldrush
    Greatest Hits
    Mirrorball
    On The Beach
    Live Rust
    & Ragged Glory

Mirrorball and Ragged Glory are the one's I've listened to the most so they are up there for sure. I have Sleeps with Angels, Psychedelic Pill, Harvest, Harvest Moon and Rust Never Sleeps on CD, and of them definitely Harvest I've played the most, love that album.

Also, I mentioned I have something arriving in the post on vinyl that isn't even on your list, and it's a huge favourite of mine, will post once it arrives in the next week or two. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised... ;)
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:
    Nice choices Brian, I'm a big Neil fan, but am sorry to say have never heard the classic Tonight's the Night, I must remedy that soon! So my fave's, well like I said I don't have nearly as many on vinyl as you, only:

After the Goldrush
    Greatest Hits
    Mirrorball
    On The Beach
    Live Rust
    & Ragged Glory

Mirrorball and Ragged Glory are the one's I've listened to the most so they are up there for sure. I have Sleeps with Angels, Psychedelic Pill, Harvest, Harvest Moon and Rust Never Sleeps on CD, and of them definitely Harvest I've played the most, love that album.

Also, I mentioned I have something arriving in the post on vinyl that isn't even on your list, and it's a huge favourite of mine, will post once it arrives in the next week or two. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised... ;)

Cool! Very much looking forward to seeing what Neil treasure you've unearthed, reesdog!

I hope I can say with honesty that when you finally hear it you'll love "Tonight's the Night". It's a dark, smokey, boozy, moody, mellow, sometimes funky, totally honest, slightly crude, ragged edged classic Neil Young record. Some find it too sloppy. I think the only way this album could be made to evoke these moods and purge the ghosts that were chasing Neil at the time was under the late night, tequila tinged, down and out but not defeated conditions in which it was made. When listened to at the right time and in the right space, there's just nothing that quite compares. I can't imagine not having this N.Y. album. And the good thing is- it's readily available and affordable on vinyl!

• Options
    This showed up in the mail the other day, stoked to add this to my small, but growing Neil collection... :D

Second-hand:
    2wozlls.jpg
    From 1991...
  • Options
    JoostoneJoostone Posts: 230
    brianlux wrote:
    reesdog wrote:

After the Goldrush
    Greatest Hits
    Mirrorball
    On The Beach
    Live Rust
    & Ragged Glory

Cool! Very much looking forward to seeing what Neil treasure you've unearthed, reesdog!

I hope I can say with honesty that when you finally hear it you'll love "Tonight's the Night". It's a dark, smokey, boozy, moody, mellow, sometimes funky, totally honest, slightly crude, ragged edged classic Neil Young record. Some find it too sloppy. I think the only way this album could be made to evoke these moods and purge the ghosts that were chasing Neil at the time was under the late night, tequila tinged, down and out but not defeated conditions in which it was made. When listened to at the right time and in the right space, there's just nothing that quite compares. I can't imagine not having this N.Y. album. And the good thing is- it's readily available and affordable on vinyl!

True! Classic Neil Young records...one of his best.

I can honestly say that I like every NY record for a reason.

Best:
    -Everybody Knows this is nowhere
    -After the Gold Rush
    -Harvest
    -Times Fades Away
    -On the Beach
    -Tonight the Nights
    -Zuma
    -Rust Never Sleeps
    -Ragged Glory
    -Sleeps With Angels
    -Mirrorball
    -Silver & Gold
    -La Noise

Better:
    -American Stars 'n Bars
    -Comes a Time
    -Freedom
    -Harvest Moon
    -Greendale
    -Living With War
    -Praire Wind
    -Chrome Dreams
    -Fork in the Road
    -Psychedelic Pill

Good:
    -Neil Young
    -Long May You Run
    -Hawks & Doves
    -Reactor
    -Trans
    -Everybody's Rockin
    -Old Ways
    -Landing on Water
    -Life
    -This Note's for You
    -Broken Arrow
    -Are You Passionate?
    -Americana
    PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:
    This showed up in the mail the other day, stoked to add this to my small, but growing Neil collection... :D

Second-hand:
    2wozlls.jpg
    From 1991...
    Holy shit I would love that album on vinyl! :o Where did you get it?
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    reesdog wrote:

Second-hand:
    2wozlls.jpg
    From 1991...
    Holy shit I would love that album on vinyl! :o Where did you get it?
    I won it on Ebay... :D
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Everytime i see this thread rise to the top i check in hoping that some southern us tour dates were announced :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:

Second-hand:
    2wozlls.jpg
    From 1991...

NICE! Was just looking at the price of that baby on line. Might be a while before I can add the one! Congratulations :D !

• Options
    Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    reesdog wrote:

Second-hand:
    2wozlls.jpg
    From 1991...
    one of my favs! love how he reused the same stage set up he had on that tour for this last tour he did.
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    reesdog wrote:

Second-hand:
    2wozlls.jpg
    From 1991...

NICE! Was just looking at the price of that baby on line. Might be a while before I can add the one! Congratulations :D !
    Thanks Brian, definitely one of my faves from Neil & the Horse, so a no-brainer when I saw it online. Hope you manage to get yourself a copy too!
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:

Second-hand:
    2wozlls.jpg
    From 1991...
    one of my favs! love how he reused the same stage set up he had on that tour for this last tour he did.
    Yeah same, I went to his last show here, and noticed he had this same stage set up too. That was a very cool moment of recognition, plus they opened with Love and Only Love which is from this album also!
  • Options
    This time tomorrow I'll be watching Neil Young...........not that I'm excited or anything
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    This time tomorrow I'll be watching Neil Young...........not that I'm excited or anything
    :clap::clap: Cool & lucky you. Enjoy. :)
    <hr>
  • Options
    morello wrote:

Don't think I'll sleep tonight. Bucket list stuff , never thought I'd see Neil and Crazy Horse.
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    morello wrote:

Don't think I'll sleep tonight. Bucket list stuff , never thought I'd see Neil and Crazy Horse.

I totally get it- seeing Pearl Jam was bucket list stuff and seeing them last year was fantastic. Have a great time with The Horse! :D

• Options
    morello wrote:

Excellent. Yep, I was the same in March down here. :)
    <hr>
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,251
    Cant wait to see Neil this Saturday in Dublin, Ireland. Third time seeing him, should be a good one :)
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    Live Uncle Neil albums for sale on Popmarket for 24hours! Go get, people!!!!
    http://www.popmarket.com/details/277449 ... d=28576757
    Neil Young – Live Vinyl BundleExclusive vinyl bundle from Neil Young's Archives Performance Series featuring the legendary 1970 Fillmore East concert with Crazy Horse and the extraordinary 2-LP solo acoustic set from 1968 at Canterbury House.

• Two incredible Neil Young live LPs from the acclaimed Performance Series for one great price!
    • Vinyl pressed on stunning 180-gram ultra heavyweight black-vinyl discs
    • A time capsule of early Neil Young live performances:
    o Neil Young & Crazy Horse's legendary 1970 electric set at the Fillmore East
    o Live At The Canterbury House 1968 captures Neil Young at start of his solo career – unvarnished, acoustic, candid
    <hr>