Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• marcos wrote:
    Looking forward to the Borgata show, tickets were actually reasonable for a change with Neil. But judging from all the reviews on this tour; sounds like he might be one of the only older acts that is worth it.

Trey is also playing there tonight 8-) .
    What a great night. Thinking they'll BOTH be on the stage at some point during the evening 8-) .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Danny Clinch posted this awesome archive shot of Neil from the 90s on his Instagram page yesterday:

http://instagram.com/p/S4bRyeEsh7/
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Interview with the Wall Street Journal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I bought this album about ten or 15 years ago and had no idea that this was Neil Young's first band. I only found out after watching the interview with Patti Smith where he mentioned being in The Squires. All this time I had a classic record by Neil Young's first band and didn't realize it. I should learn to read the sleeve notes on records more carefully.

Squires+Front+CD+SZ.jpg

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Squires_%28band%29

The Squires from Bristol, Connecticut were an American garage band in the 1960s.

They released just one single, which failed to be even a regional hit, but which is now regarded as a classic of its era. One critic wrote: "The yearning lyrics and melody, vibrant jangling guitars and brisk propulsive beat all combine to make The Squires' 'Going All the Way' a transcendent rock n roll record. That the song wasn't a huge hit and isn't heard daily on today’s 'oldies' or 'classic rock' radio stations is shameful - but when it comes right down to it, it doesn't matter. The fact that 'Going All the Way' is little more than a secret, known only to a few thousand fanatics, only adds to its greatness. Success can be measured in terms other than units sold, and with "Going All the Way" The Squires succeeded in ways that much wealthier musicians failed.

The Squires - Going All The Way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyi_uSI1cSk
  • Just got tickets to see him and CH at the o2! Bring on June!!!!!!!
    2009 - Shephards Bush, Manchester, London
    2010 - Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter
    2012 - Manchester 1+2, Berlin 1+2, Stockholm, Oslo
    2014 - Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I bought this album about ten or 15 years ago and had no idea that this was Neil Young's first band. I only found out after watching the interview with Patti Smith where he mentioned being in The Squires. All this time I had a classic record by Neil Young's first band and didn't realize it. I should learn to read the sleeve notes on records more carefully.

Squires+Front+CD+SZ.jpg

The Squires from Bristol, Connecticut were an American garage band in the 1960s.

They released just one single, which failed to be even a regional hit, but which is now regarded as a classic of its era. One critic wrote: "The yearning lyrics and melody, vibrant jangling guitars and brisk propulsive beat all combine to make The Squires' 'Going All the Way' a transcendent rock n roll record. That the song wasn't a huge hit and isn't heard daily on today’s 'oldies' or 'classic rock' radio stations is shameful - but when it comes right down to it, it doesn't matter. The fact that 'Going All the Way' is little more than a secret, known only to a few thousand fanatics, only adds to its greatness. Success can be measured in terms other than units sold, and with "Going All the Way" The Squires succeeded in ways that much wealthier musicians failed.

I hate to bring you down but that's not The Squires that Neil was part of. They're from Connecticut, Neil's Squires were Canadian. He was in this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Squires_(Neil_Young_band)

(Tim Rogers)
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    goldrush wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

Squires+Front+CD+SZ.jpg

I hate to bring you down but that's not The Squires that Neil was part of. They're from Connecticut, Neil's Squires were Canadian. He was in this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Squires_(Neil_Young_band)

Ah, I wondered why 'Going All The Way' wasn't included in his Archives.

Thanks for setting me straight. :oops:
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Got this on vinyl recently, love how Neil takes care to get the sound so crisp and clear on his vinyl releases... Am going to his show here in Auckland with Crazy Horse in early March, should be mental!
    pw0aa.jpg
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Polyphonic Spree covering Heart Of Gold :thumbup:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-poly ... qus_thread

They played this last might live in philly. Sounded real good. They were joined onstage by Jason Lytle of the band Grandaddy who were opening up for Band Of Horses earlier that night at the Electric Factory down the road. :)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • morello wrote:
    just picked up the copy of "Waging Heavy Peace" I'd reserved at the library! YAY! Reading time. :)

Has anyone read this? I was considering purchasing.

I read 'Shakey' but found it kind of dry and long for no reason.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    morello wrote:
    just picked up the copy of "Waging Heavy Peace" I'd reserved at the library! YAY! Reading time. :)

It's not a bad read.....at times it seems more like an extended blog. There is no real order to it, thus it is really Neil Young-like. If you don't want to read about his electric car project or his digital music system...you might want to pass on the book. :lol:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    tybird wrote:
    morello wrote:

It's not a bad read.....at times it seems more like an extended blog. There is no real order to it, thus it is really Neil Young-like. If you don't want to read about his electric car project or his digital music system...you might want to pass on the book. :lol:
    I'm loving it!! I'm about a third of the way through & I'm positive I'm going to want(/have) to buy my own copy when I've finished it to re-read & mark the bits I LOVE!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    just stumbled upon this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMpHFiS2Xek
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    Got tickets for the Neil Young & Crazy Horse Alchemy Tour 2013.
    5th of June at Ziggodome 8-)

NYCH_Alchemy_logo-Indian-horse_cut.jpg
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,224
    imalive wrote:

They're a great band, saw them on one of their all too rare UK shows a couple of years back at the 100 Club and they played this.

Seems Uncle Neil doesn't like people texting from the front rows of his shows, don't blame him either, but this is funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... j3o-lUeDgQ
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
    SCORE! I got Psychedelic Pill vinyl today, new, for NZ$80(US$65 GBP£40)!!! :D YAY 20% off Boxing Day sales!!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    Scored the following used last Friday, all at the same, out-of-the-way vinyl shop that most hipsters never check:

On The Beach
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Time Fades Away (with lyric poster!)

I'm thinking of getting that poster framed. So cool looking...
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    Hey does anyone now Neil's after concert habits? Is it worth hanging around out the back of the venue after the show finishes to try & meet him after I see him THE WEEK AFTER NEXT!!!!?!??!?!? WEEHEEE!! :P
    <hr>
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    morello wrote:
    Hey does anyone now Neil's after concert habits? Is it worth hanging around out the back of the venue after the show finishes to try & meet him after I see him THE WEEK AFTER NEXT!!!!?!??!?!? WEEHEEE!! :P

Very very jealous.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    morello wrote:
    I've hung around after a few of his shows over the years and I've never been lucky enough to meet him, or even see him emerge from the venue. Considering that Neil barely speaks on stage I can't see him as the kind of guy to hang around for a chat afterwards.

That being said... I'll tell you after the show on Sunday! :-D

(Tim Rogers)
    vant0037 wrote:
    Scored the following used last Friday, all at the same, out-of-the-way vinyl shop that most hipsters never check:

On The Beach
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Time Fades Away (with lyric poster!)

I'm thinking of getting that poster framed. So cool looking...
    Nice score, congrats! The lyric poster in TFA is really cool isn't it? I think it would look great framed

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush wrote:
    morello wrote:
    I've hung around after a few of his shows over the years and I've never been lucky enough to meet him, or even see him emerge from the venue. Considering that Neil barely speaks on stage I can't see him as the kind of guy to hang around for a chat afterwards.

That being said... I'll tell you after the show on Sunday! :-D
    Cool, definitely let me/us know how Sunday is. :)
    <hr>
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    The opening show in Perth over the weekend was like entering guitar heaven for two-plus hours. For those who have GA for any upcoming shows, be as close to the stage as possible, preferably on the left side (facing you).
    The opening show in Perth over the weekend was like entering guitar heaven for two-plus hours. For those who have GA for any upcoming shows, be as close to the stage as possible, preferably on the left side (facing you).
    Cheers. I read the review of Perth & thought YUSSS this is what we're talking about! I have GA for both shows I'm going to & am planning on trying to get up the front if at all possible. YAY! Bring on the week after next!!

Oh & by "be as close to the stage as possible, preferably on the left side (facing you)." I take it you mean facing Stone's side in PJ equivalent? Does Neil hang out more to that side? Thanks for that info. :)

I'm SOOOOOOO F'N excited to see Uncle Neil!!! 11 days people, 11 days!!! :D
    <hr>
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    So I got bored and left them there,
    They were just deadweight to me
    Better down the road without that load
    Brings back the time when I was eight or nine
    I was watchin' my mama's T.V.,
    It was that great Grand Canyon rescue episode.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    morello wrote:
    Cheers. I read the review of Perth & thought YUSSS this is what we're talking about! I have GA for both shows I'm going to & am planning on trying to get up the front if at all possible. YAY! Bring on the week after next!!

Oh & by "be as close to the stage as possible, preferably on the left side (facing you)." I take it you mean facing Stone's side in PJ equivalent? Does Neil hang out more to that side? Thanks for that info. :)

By left, I meant facing McCready's side, PJ equivalent. Poncho's and Billy's mics are always there, and they never stray far from their positions. And of course the band likes to play very close to one another, so by standing right in the middle, you'd get a great view too.
    morello wrote:

By left, I meant facing McCready's side, PJ equivalent. Poncho's and Billy's mics are always there, and they never stray far from their positions. And of course the band likes to play very close to one another, so by standing right in the middle, you'd get a great view too.
    Ah great. Cool. Thanks. I'll aim for McCready side then if I can. :-)
    <hr>
    Fantastic show in Sydney last night, my ears are still ringing! Here's the setlist and a rambling 'review':

Love and Only Love
    Powderfinger
    Born in Ontario
    Walk Like a Giant
    Hole in the Sky
    Heart of Gold (Neil acoustic solo)
    Twisted Road (Neil acoustic solo)
    Singer Without a Song (Neil at the piano)
    Ramada Inn
    Cinnamon Girl
    Fuckin' Up
    Mr. Soul
    Hey Hey, My My

Encore:
    Prisoners of Rock 'n' Roll
    Opera Star

After the mad scientist roadies had assembled the giant stage props, the band joined them onstage while the Australian national anthem played with the Aussie flag as the backdrop. My wife, who is a Neil fan but had never seen him with the Horse, was bracing herself for a night of long solos but was still a bit surprised that the first one came in the first minute of Love and Only Love. A 13-minute opening song certainly set the scene for what was to come! Powderfinger is one of my all time favourite Neil songs and is always great to hear. Born In Ontario is one of the songs I don't really notice when I play the Psychedelic Pill record but it's better live, it sounds looser and more 'fun'.

The monster that is Walk Like A Giant made out it to a crushing 22 minutes before the Woodstock audio that was used on Live Rust (the "maybe we can stop this rain" part) kicked in and was followed by Hole In The Sky. Crazy Horse then left the stage and Neil played 2 solo acoustic tracks. The first was Heart Of Gold and the crowd went nuts. There were quite a few people there that only seemed to know 'the hit' (and probably RITFW, which they didn't play) and might have struggled to make it through Walk Like A Giant so this was a nice change of pace. The second solo song was Twisted Road and I much prefer it solo. I really like the band version but it just feels better acoustic.

The band returned ready for Singer Without A Song as Neil handed over his guitar. As he wandered over to the piano he carried on singing the Twisted Road chorus a capella. [morello, if you do have a choice of where you stand when you see him, aim for the 'Jeff spot' (between Ed and Mike) as the piano is on the left of the stage]

Neil was in pretty good humour last night. Before Cinnamon Girl he asked us to take a trip on his Time Machine because we were "going to go way back". He then ran his pick down the strings of his guitar to symbolize the time travel, pausing to point things out along the way - "Here's Psychedelic Pill and Americana, that's quite recent... here's where I quit smoking weed... man, I don't remember any of this!... Harvest Moon... Freedom, oh ok... Ragged Glory..." and so on until he reached "ah, here we are... Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere... some of you may be feeling a bit empty... that's because we've gone so far back you didn't even exist back then!" After Cinnamon Girl Neil apologised, saying he thought it was too fast and "a bit too Vegas for me."

An extended Fuckin Up followed, with Poncho riffing on "He's just a fuck up (pointing at Neil), I'm just a fuck up too, we're all just fuck ups, fuckin up is what we do". It got really loose towards the end and Neil apologised for fucking it up. "Hey this is big time rock and roll, we're very serious about this. We've even got our own bus now! We've graduated from the van that we were using last week!"

Mr Soul was really raucous, I didn't even recognize it until the vocals kicked in. It was fast, heavy and really intense and led perfectly into Hey Hey, My My to close out the set.

The 2 encores were a big surprise for me. Prisoners Of Rock And Roll was introduced as "one that we don't really know... and we're going to prove it to you!" and Neil and Poncho spent a lot of the song laughing at each other. At times it genuinely looked like they were figuring it out as they went along. Opera Star was a really cool song to end on, and one I didn't expect to hear, although you could tell that some people were disappointed that they ended with 2 of the rarer songs.

Without wanting sound too 'fan boy', I have to say that Neil and the Horse were really on fire all night. I loved every second of the show, and although my better half would probably have enjoyed a few less drawn-out jams she enjoyed herself too. The main set was over 2 hours and the show lasted around 2 and a half hours in total. I've got a few videos that I'll try to get online later if I get the chance. I just wish that I could have made it to more than one show this tour!

(Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Thanks for the great review, Goldrush. I hope some of the recent touring ends up being released. Even more, I hope I get a chance to see The Horse one more time.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Great review thanks Goldrush! Am going to see Neil and the Horse in 10 days here in Auckland. My mate went to see them in Brisbane the other day, he said it was superb and LOUD!
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.