I am depressed as f***.

124»

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    I have been taking anti depressants for a LONG time. I will NEVER go off them. But they do take a while to work, once you find the right ones for you, and even then, sometimes you can still have down times. Believe me, it too shall pass.

It always does. Trust me.

I just got through a 2 week of tough times even on meds. So stay strong. :)
    (What happened to Hugh Freaking Dillon??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    I know I'm a bit late to this thread...but I only saw it tonight. I don't come into this forum every day, so stuff gets by me.

I know what depression is like - I've struggled with it my whole life, and it can be really a tough thing. And sometimes, it comes at odd times, too. Sometimes, when things are going really badly, it's like I block it all out and am able to keep going. Sort of like on autopilot. And then at other times, when things are going really well, I find myself depressed for no reason.

It's very odd - it's like sometimes it has to do with what's going on, and other times, it just happens for no reason. Or maybe it's some sort of delayed reaction to bad stuff that happened earlier, but which I didn't deal with properly. Who knows?

I have never cut myself though, or anything like that. And I think that if you are struggling with that, it might be a good idea to go and see a doctor. You have to find a release valve for all of this - one that doesn't hurt you.

Also, do you think that any of it has to do with the seasons? I see you are from Finland, and I know it's like Alaska there - we are starting to get a lot of light now...but we just came off of about 4 months of a lot of darkness, and it is still pretty cold here, so we are still indoors a lot, even thought it's lighter. Maybe concentrating on getting some sunlight might help? Just an idea, because I know how the darkness can be on some people. I actually like the dark winters...but some people get S.A.D.....maybe that might be a factor for you?

I really hope that you are feeling better...I know that there are a few people around here who struggle with various issues...and while it might not make you feel better to know that, at least you can know that talking about it here is 'safe'...and that you will find people who care about your well-being.

Please take care of yourself, get plenty of rest, get some sunshine and exercise. Exercise has always helped me, believe it or not. Exercise and Wellbutrin are the only things that have ever really helped me. All the other medications have made me sick to my stomach, dizzy, etc. But Welllbutrin has seemed to work. I think different meds effect people differently though, and sometimes it takes a long time to find one that works for you. Lots of trial and error.

And music - don't forget the music. That has always helped me too. Pearl Jam works best (it really does - I'm not just saying that!), but find some bands that you like - get interested in discovering some new music. That helps me - to stay interested and engaged in my music hobby.

Good luck!!!
  • SxDx1982 wrote:
    Hi everyone. I thought I'd drop by and let you know that I'm still alive. The doc prescribed me anti-depressants, I've been taking them for a few days now. No effect so far.. except that I'm too tired to even type. He did say that they take a while before they start to work.

Nice to hear from you :wave:
    *Denver 04-01-2003*ACL 10-04-2009*Colombus 05-06-2010*Noblesville 05-07-2010*Bridge School 10-23 & 10-24-2010*PJ20 09-03 & 09-04-2011*Deluna Fest 09-21-2012*Wrigley Field 07-19-2013*Ok City 11-16-2013*Moline (Rail, Hometown!)10-17-2014*St Paul 10-19-2014*Milwaukee 10-20-2014*Denver 10-22-2014*
    *Ed Solo: Detroit 06-26-2011, Chicago 06-29-2011*
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    edited March 2012
    Feeling depressed and angry today.
    My parents always put me down.
    Was discussing them my intention to try a new career "haha you doing that" "you won't never succeed".
    My whole life they, especially my mum have put me down.
    "you'll never finish university" "you're stupid" "you're not smart".
    "you're ugly" "your mouth looks like an arse"

Constantly hearing negative things since a child I as an adult have low self esteem and don't believe I can achieve anything.

Fuck life, kill me.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    Hi everyone. I thought I'd drop by and let you know that I'm still alive. The doc prescribed me anti-depressants, I've been taking them for a few days now. No effect so far.. except that I'm too tired to even type. He did say that they take a while before they start to work.

I've some friends who have gone through depression, I know a little bit of what it's like.

I'm so glad to hear you've taken the first steps towards feeling better, the only way is up now. It's difficult and yes, the meds will take a little while to work, but please don't be discouraged by this!

Like you already know, this place is very good for venting and support. I'm sure even those of us who don't post much and read more will be sending you encouraging vibes. :)

Jatka samaa rataa, auringon lämpö ja valo auttavat varmasti!
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • green mountain mangreen mountain man Posts: 735
    edited March 2012
    Was discussing them my intention to try a new career "haha you doing that" "you won't never succeed".

Constantly hearing negative things since a child I as an adult have low self esteem and don't believe I can achieve anything.

Fuck life, kill me.
    The best way out is always through.... Robert Frost

Keep steadily before you the fact that all true success depends at last upon yourself...Theodore Hunger

Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds... Albert Einstein

You miss 100% of the shots that you do not take... Wayne Gretzsky

Self trust is the secret of success... Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Post edited by green mountain man on
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243

Fuck life, kill me.

Don't listen to them.
    You seem pretty awesome to me.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Feeling depressed and angry today.

Fuck life, kill me.

do you still live with and/or depend on them? if not, I say it's time for emancipation.

are you an only child? do you have any uncles/aunts you can go live with? this situation sounds horribly abusive.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds... Albert Einstein

what an awesome quote. thanks for sharing it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • ogey38ogey38 Posts: 563
    I was wondering how the OP is doing today. Hope the day was at the very least bearable and the meds are starting to kick in....keep the faith, my friend.
    Mid-America Center Council Bluffs, IA - Jun 13, 2003
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Lincoln, NE - Oct 9, 2014
    Global Citizen's Festival, NYC - Sept 26, 2015
  • jopetto75jopetto75 Posts: 397
    Arms Aloft helped me get thru this day, what a great song!!!
    until next time......
  • your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
    I think that the OP was able to share this, even with sort-of strangers like us ha got to be a positive thing, the honesty has got to help,
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!

Fuck life, kill me.
    The best way out is always through.... Robert Frost

Keep steadily before you the fact that all true success depends at last upon yourself...Theodore Hunger

Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds... Albert Einstein

You miss 100% of the shots that you do not take... Wayne Gretzsky

Self trust is the secret of success... Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you :)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    SD48277 wrote:

Fuck life, kill me.

Don't listen to them.
    You seem pretty awesome to me.

Thank you. :)
    Awesome person in a cage. :(

Fuck life, kill me.

do you still live with and/or depend on them? if not, I say it's time for emancipation.

are you an only child? do you have any uncles/aunts you can go live with? this situation sounds horribly abusive.

I cannot afford to move out, I earn a low income and have a mortgage.
    I have two sisters, one to which I am estranged almost.
    No other relatives in Australia.
    It is very abusive, I dread when my mum drinks wine, she just becomes more abusive.
    Thank god for Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden and AIC.
    Or I'd be a heroin addict.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855

Fuck life, kill me.
    I too am surprised because you are very creative and caring, good for you!
    Fight to be your self and find positive people and goals you can achieve.

Don't play into your parents games, don't share your dreams with them,
    they do no deserve to know. They have their own problems, most certainly your mother.
    I am pretty tough on mothers who are mean but I am a super softy to a fault,
    I believe in soft love.

Low self esteem....
    it's not a given that we were put down by our parents
    but often when that is the case it effects our outlook on life and love,
    most definitely trust.
    So much of who we are is buried deep, this in learned behavior from our parents.

My point is if they have been unjustly hard and cruel on you you may do this to yourself.
    And you don't deserve that. Be your own best friend this you can do ...
    do what you can to get on your own soon even if you must scrimp and get by with very little.
    This alone makes one strong and brave.

Your life... you make it now
  • looloolooloolooloo Posts: 378
    Checkin' in on OP- how ya doing out there?
    "Sun sets on this ocean- never once on my devotion."

"If I had this guy's voice, you could all kiss my ass."
  • SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    loolooloo wrote:

Well, the meds gave me terrible migraines and fever (among other things) and I had to stop taking them. I guess the doctor will prescribe me something else, I have an appointment next Monday. I don't really want to try new meds but I guess I have to.

I'm so tired of trying to get "better". I don't feel like there's anything wrong with me. I just want to be able to function like a normal human being without having to take fuckin Xanax every time I get out of the house.
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
    I got referred to a counselor / psych last week, now to call and book an appointment and hide it from my parents.
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    loolooloo wrote:

Well, the meds gave me terrible migraines and fever (among other things) and I had to stop taking them. I guess the doctor will prescribe me something else, I have an appointment next Monday. I don't really want to try new meds but I guess I have to.

I'm so tired of trying to get "better". I don't feel like there's anything wrong with me. I just want to be able to function like a normal human being without having to take fuckin Xanax every time I get out of the house.

My fear of going psychologists, being prescribed pills.
    I would want to avoid them.
    Keep fighting bro.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    My fear of going psychologists, being prescribed pills.
    I would want to avoid them.
    Keep fighting bro.

You may not like the idea, but sometimes medication is what you really do need. Therapy and the like will/can of course also help, but sometimes some people just have to have the meds too.

But then, you might be those who only need the medication for a certain amount of time. :) Hang in there, both of you - the good times are a-coming!
    SxDx1982 wrote:

It's hard, but you need to keep trying, you deserve to be happy. If you are depressed, there's certainly something not right, but you're not in the wrong or a worse person because of it. Depression is an illness, and you can overcome it.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Excellent post eMMI!

Both of you hang on in there!