I am depressed as f***.

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    That sucks. I'm sorry you're dealing with depression. It one of the worst diseases you can have, just because people can't understand how you're feeling. Unless they've been there, that is. I went through a couple years of depression and anxiety triggered by a traumatic event. I also had a very bad time with medications. They made me feel so much worse, and at one point I ended up in the ER because of my reaction to One particular med. Terrible. The meds were ways worse than the affliction for me (they can helps lots of people though). Anyway, that's when I finally caved and tried therapy.

J really felt that therapy wouldn't help me because I'm very self-aware, and so didn't figure a therapist could enlighten me about myself anymore than I could already do for myself. Well... I was right about that, lol. However, what therapy did do for me was provide me with a person who was completely objective about my situation, as opposed to everyone else around me, and also who really did understand what was wrong with me, why I couldn't just suck it up, and he validated my feelings rather than secretly thinking I should be able to handle things better. Validation of how you're feeling is more powerful than I thought it could be. Also, just the actual act of going to therapy helped, because it made me feel proactive - way more so that just going to the doc and trying a pill. So if you haven't tried it, I really recommend it, even if you have big doubts, because the reasons therapy helped were surprising to me when I finally did it as a last resort.

Also, Pearl Jam helped, dead honest. Maybe try immersing yourself even further into music or something else you already enjoy, like a sport or art or whatever. I ended up really reaching full recovery from my PTSD when I woke up one morning and realized that I found real joy in collecting bootlegs and vinyl (largely PJ, but other stuff too), along with photography . Suddenly i had a new independent sense of passion in my life for first time in 2 years, and i ran with it. I let myself get really into it, whereas before i think my illness had been convincing me to tread lightly with everything. I think I'm saying don't be afraid to become obsessed with something that brings you a sense of joy. Just make sure the obsession is healthy and happy. :) saying that you should become obsessed with something may sound weird, but honestly, it could pull you out of the dark place when nothing else worked, and then you'll find that you are further able to spread your interests out, that the passion that comes from your healthy obsession leaks to other parts of your life.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    Thank you all for your wise words and great quotes that you have posted. It means the world to me that you have taken the time to read my message. As someone who was bullied for so many years, it's sometimes difficult for me to open up and talk about things. Most of my friends don't even know that I have a problem, I've become so good at hiding it.

I am getting professional help, but it's a long process and the waiting times are insane. So far I've been to a social worker who gave me forms to fill out (depression etc).

I feel like I'm going insane. I tried to paint last night, but I ended up destroying the whole thing because I couldn't concentrate. I'm stuck between feeling empty and angry. I need to get out of my apartment, so I'm meeting up with a friend in an hour or so. Hopefully it won't turn into an "all-nighter".

Thank you again for your kind words. I am so lucky to have found this community. Music is the greatest power on Earth.
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    The best thing for you is to continue talking about it. You have a very supportive group of people here who are all very good listeners.
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    Thank you all for your wise words and great quotes that you have posted. It means the world to me that you have taken the time to read my message. As someone who was bullied for so many years, it's sometimes difficult for me to open up and talk about things. Most of my friends don't even know that I have a problem, I've become so good at hiding it.

I am getting professional help, but it's a long process and the waiting times are insane. So far I've been to a social worker who gave me forms to fill out (depression etc).

I feel like I'm going insane. I tried to paint last night, but I ended up destroying the whole thing because I couldn't concentrate. I'm stuck between feeling empty and angry. I need to get out of my apartment, so I'm meeting up with a friend in an hour or so. Hopefully it won't turn into an "all-nighter".

Thank you again for your kind words. I am so lucky to have found this community. Music is the greatest power on Earth.
    Yup, as I said, music is what helped me in the end... grab onto it! :)
    all nighter? Does that mean drinking? I've got nothing against drinking (on the contrary), but a word to the wise: hangovers can really set you back when you're depressed. Bad. So take it easy. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    SxDx1982 wrote:

Enjoy your day! :thumbup:
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    look........my Mom will be dead soon from pancreatic cancer. I get depression. Get help...its very real and very awful.

'no matter how cold the winter, there's a spring time ahead'
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Being different is wonderful....once you get your depression treated, I hope you can be proud of who you are....fly that freak flag with pride....I do!

I suffered from untreated depression for the first 30 years of my life. Often times, it seemed impossible to get myself together for social events, etc. My depression had negative effects on my education, my professional life, and my love life. Often times, I'd be out with a girl, and I'd slip into a depressed state....I'd come-off as uninterested and boring....same thing would happen when I was hanging around with friends.

I still get depressed from time to time, but medication usually keeps it under control.

Please, get help, and don't stop until you find something sensible that works....I assure you that it is a great investment!

Things can change....don't give up....there is a whole world out there for you to enjoy!
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I've been there. I can't add much more to what others have said, since there's been a lot of good advice on here, so all I can say is, hang in there.
    One other thing...don't even think about taking your own life or anything like that. I attempted suicide 12 years ago, and it was the worst thing I ever did. Just hang in there, and get help, and you'll be OK.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    be your self..express your self....whatever or wherever its going...just must be you...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    i felt the same way when i found this place. i was so thrilled (particularly in finding the poetry forum) that i did a somersault in excitement
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    I wish there was a drug that would make this all go away.

[...]

I know this has something to do with the fact that I was bullied for 9 years, and that I've always been "different". I can't relate to normal people. I can't work 9 to 5. I don't want to have kids. I don't want a house and a white picket fence. Or maybe I do, but I would probably paint graffiti on that damn thing. :roll:

Don't take this the wrong way... Im merely offering my advice.

Don't think that drugs can make you better. They probably can't, so if I were you I would try Yoga or something of that nature.

Don't make excuses for yourself man. You are who you are, don't sell yourself short. If you keep making excuses for yourself, it's just more reasons that you can justify staying in this rut. Why can't you keep a job? WHy can't you relate to people? You are obviously not satisfied with your life, so take that energy to change it for the better.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Let those feelings out with words,music,screaming,crying,laughing,colour,dance,walk ... anything rather than cutting your beautiful self.

We have all been there to a degree.This is a good safe place to be.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Let those feelings out with words,music,screaming,crying,laughing,colour,dance,walk ... anything rather than cutting your beautiful self.

We have all been there to a degree.This is a good safe place to be.
    and this lady here is great.

btw, your poetry book is soon going in the mail. soon could be weeks away though. i am sorry for being so unorganized, baffled and lost :crazy:

in the pearl jam community friendships are made all over the world. this amazes me everyday. you have definitely found yourself amongst a great group of folks. although some here would not pee on me if i were on fire.....haha. just sayin. i guess i irritate some folks. (shoulder shrug)

maybe some people here can give you names of the depression medication they have had success with? then you can try it out for yourself. but seriously.... pills are bullshit. i eat pain meds like m&ms. i do not know a thing about depression meds.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    Hi again.
    I'm beginning to think that I need to chance the way I see the world and myself, instead of trying to change who I am. I just don't know how. I almost got into a fight on the way back home, because some people had a problem with the way I look. I should have just let it go, but instead I turned around and yelled back at them.
    I don't know why I'm so easily provoked. It's their loss if they can't accept people for who they are.
    The good news is, I didn't drink too much.
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    Hi again.
    I'm beginning to think that I need to chance the way I see the world and myself, instead of trying to change who I am. I just don't know how. I almost got into a fight on the way back home, because some people had a problem with the way I look. I should have just let it go, but instead I turned around and yelled back at them.
    I don't know why I'm so easily provoked. It's their loss if they can't accept people for who they are.
    As someone else said, "fly your freak flag with pride". :) who cares what other people think?? Especially when it comes to how you look? ... I know, easier said than done. But just try and remember to be proud of different. It's what keeps life interesting. Those other people who don't appreciate the different are just BORING, and to me that's the worst thing in the whole world to be. Maybe next time just try smiling at them and take comfort in the knowledge that you're not boring.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    Hi again.

Bullies only bully others because it makes THEM feel better about themselves. Ignore it and you can't fuel them. I know it's alot easier said then done but just realize each time when you don't respond to them it will actually anger them. You can actually anger them by being happy yourself. :thumbup:
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    Hi again.
    its good you dont know how to do it...cos you gonna try...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    i totally relate, it's been a tough week, and like you, thats why ive been on these forums.
    i don't mind sharing, at 23 i realised I'd done nothing with my life. and i crashed... massively!!

The idea of trying to work out where you fit in the world isn't one worth debating, it's just tooooo overwhelming and can drive you crazy. When you don't feel in control of your own world, everythings going to feel too big and threatening. But it's all in the mind. you have talents, skills, things you tend to forget about when your feeling depressed and feel less able to cope with things. Depression gives you this warped perspective of yourself. Your actually really strong to be able to cope with this.

Im 27 now.. and feel like I'm only just on track, i stopped feeling the need to compete a long time ago, it's tough when some of my friends my age are doctors now but pah!! I needed the extra time lol. i never really shook my depression, it creeps back in different forms sometime.

During my whole depression I really enjoyed being outdoors, and not leaving the house, i spent a lot of time in the garden, I made that garden beautiful over 2 years, I study horticulture now I'm 2 years in and have studied 4 courses from beginner to pro and theres no stopping me. once you get started cheerleading on your own team it's difficult to stop & I think Ive found my calling, you'll find yours, the thing that evokes some passion and gives you a natural high, gives you energy.... cling to that with both hands. Theres no point working towards things that make you sad.

I know why your here :) Same as me. when i can't talk to my friends i turn inwards, and theres not much else in my inner circle other than pearl jam. These forums are full of all the things I love, lyrics, art, song meaning & PEOPLE!! Thats another secret weapon for depression, humans need contact, whether it be a stranger or a friend. We're all here for you if you need it :)
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • I feel the same way you do. I am even doing the same things you are doing to yourself. Would you like to talk off of this post? If you would like to contact me and we could just vent to each other, my email is: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:johnson-points@comcast.net">johnson-points@comcast.net</a><!-- e -->. Don't feel like you have to, I just wanted you to know I am a fuck up as well and don't have a job and can't take on a creative project. I hurt myself and take pills to numb myself. So now you know you are not the only one. Stay safe.........Dawn
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done."
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    I think sometimes the key is realizing the pain you felt and more importantly giving yourself credit for having lived through those dark days, almost like a war survivor's mentality; depression is a battle and the fact that you've survived it before makes you even stronger now.
  • looloolooloolooloo Posts: 378
    So many words of wisdom and thoughtfulness already; I just wanted to offer some AET hugs. Depression is a terrible, terrible disease. Thankfully, I've seen those who were at the lowest of their lows climb back into the light.

You CAN do it.

And one morning you'll wake up and see the world through new eyes- you'll realize that the magnificence of simply being able to take a breath on your own accord may just be enough to get you out of bed that day. And you'll smile, knowing that all you have been through has given you a wealth of knowledge and experience. You'll find your niche, you'll find your purpose.

Don't ever give up.
    "Sun sets on this ocean- never once on my devotion."

"If I had this guy's voice, you could all kiss my ass."
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    I can't relate to normal people. I can't work 9 to 5. I don't want to have kids. I don't want a house and a white picket fence.'

Actually, that sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Nothing wrong with that my friend.

As The Prodigy once put it: "Fuck 'em and their law".

Do you live in Helsinki? I know it's cold and dark up there for about 6 months of the year, but their's a cool social scene there - loads of good bars and gigs every night of the week. Also you have The Leningrad Cowboys :P

Leningrad_Cowboys.jpg
  • I'm a little late, but I just want to join in with what everybody else is saying.

All the cliches out there (you can do it, it will get better, just hold on) well they are cliches because they are true. Just remember "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"

When I was there, I turned to music. Riot Act was the first album I had and Thumbing My Way felt like my anthem. It was a down mood, and there were lines in there that felt hopeless--- "I can't be free with what's locked inside of me" and, "I let go of a rope, thinking that's what held me back And in time i've realized, it's now wrapped around my neck" and " I smile but who am I kidding"
    But then there is..
    "I can't see what's next, from this lonely overpass"--and that is 100% true. Tomorrow or the next day or the next day you may wake up look outside and be completely happy for no reason, but just because.
    The next line is one of my favorites---"Hang my head and count my steps, as another car goes past" Also "I'm just walking the miles, every once in a while i'll get a ride" --- To me those are just saying you just have to keep moving, no matter what, you just keep taking steps in the right direction.

I know nothing...it really helped me though...I must have listened to this song 1000s of times then...it means more to me than almost any other...Hope
    The song ends in way that to me is just keep moving, keep walking, I'll get there eventually...
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    If it wasn't for music I do not know how bad I'd be now.
    If the meds don't work go see your professional again.
    All the best.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Put on some music (preferably PJ).
    Turn it up.
    Turn it up loud.
    Turn it up so loud that it blocks everything else in your head.
    After a while, go outside and take a walk.
    Repeat as necessary.
    ELITIST FUK
    Byrnzie wrote:
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    I can't relate to normal people. I can't work 9 to 5. I don't want to have kids. I don't want a house and a white picket fence.'

Actually, that sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Nothing wrong with that my friend.

As The Prodigy once put it: "Fuck 'em and their law".

Do you live in Helsinki? I know it's cold and dark up there for about 6 months of the year, but their's a cool social scene there - loads of good bars and gigs every night of the week. Also you have The Leningrad Cowboys :P

Leningrad_Cowboys.jpg

wow. nice hair, fuckers... those dudes are rad, man!
    here they are doin stairway to heaven in Helsinki @ senate square.
    http://youtu.be/QxzItqgWMDQ

ya learn something everyday...never ever heard of these dudes before. thank you sir, byrnzie

http://youtu.be/ZGsUfImawKo
    :shock: neil? that you on stilts?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • wow, i've been there too. i had a pretty long battle with depression after a very traumatic relationship a couple of years ago. ironically enough with someone i met through this website....turns out she was manipulative, bullying, she woudl threaten suicide and would punch herself in the head, she would rage at me for no reason for even the smallest perceived slight, she would create drama and fights for no reason. i spent 15 months walkingon eggshells in order not to provoke any of this stuff. worst of all, and she cheated on me with several people. she actually carried on separate lives and affairs at the same time. this was a long distance relationship so she was free to do all of this stuff without me knowing it. she tore through my life like a tornado and left it in a heap of destruction.

after we split i was completely devastated. i went to counseling and talked all of it out, and i eventually ended up on meds, and the combination of the 2 really helped me. one without the other would not have done anything for me. i am down to talking with my counselor once a month and am starting to ramp down and taper off of my meds. i will be off of them in a month. i still have maybe 3 hours total a week where i feel like crap, but that sure as hell beats the 15 hours a day where i felt like crap....everybody must remember that if you take the appropriate steps, it does get better. i am living proof that it does get better.

the most important thing for the OP is to get an accurate diagnosis. i foud out later on that my g/f, who had told me early on that she suffers from "depression" actually suffered from borderline personality disorder, and those can be very difficult and very painful to try to deal with. i knew nothing about any of this stuff before that relationship and have learned a lot as a result of it. i was doing all of the same things, drinking to get obliterated, eating compulsively, getting in fights, alienating my friends and family, writing suicide letters and thinking about how i was gonna do it, i actually even checked my life insurance policy to make sure that it would pay my beneficiaries...and to my surprised IT WOULD HAVE PAID, so knowing that info, that did nothing to help keep me here.., i was basically not giving a fuck about anything, most of all me....i would take unnecessary risks like drink and drive and i would act without considering the effects or outcome of my actions. not just for me, but the effects on other people and strangers. once i started counseling and then a few months later the meds, all of that seemed to go away. i am over all of that stuff now. i am recovered.

all relationships affect us in some ways. the relationships with our parents, friends, g/f or b/f, they all shape us is some way. they either cause or contribute to underlying mental issues that we might have. i can guarantee that the bullying helped lead to where you are right now. i was bullied for a few years in elementary and middle school and it led directly to the confidence issues and social awkwardness that i had. i came from a family that did not really show much affection for one another. when people jokingly say "maybe your dad didn't hug you enough as a child" or "maybe your mom didn't love you enough" etc etc and out of that i never really learned how to show affection or express my feelings appropriately. that led to many failed relationships because when things would go bad i would just bottle everything up and hope it got better. i did not realize that that is the completely wrong way of doing things.there are elements of truth in all of that stuff about family experiences and it can really fuck us up as we grow up. i had huge confidence issues. i am in a band and we used to play 6 or 7 shows a month and i would get so much anxiety and so scared before going on stage that i would have to drink 5 or 6 drinks to get me to even step out on the stage. granted we were playing to crowds of 500 or so per show, so that is enough to make anyone nervous. but mine was crippling. before i knew it i was oblitterated at the end of every show. i never really enjoyed playing because of my anxiety. then one night after being in counseling for a few months i decided "i am gonna go out there, not drink, and actually enjoy doing this....." and i did. sure i could not relax or face the crowd and my left hand fingers did not want to work the first five songs or so, but the longer i was out there the better it got. i actually could feel the sound coming from our amps. i could see and hear the crowd response. i could feel the vibration from the kickdrum hitting me in my back. i could see the people smiling, dancing, singing along, i could see the women checking me out. all of tha tstuff i never really experienced before. i have not had a drop of alcohol at a show since then, and that was in january 2011. i could never go back to getting shitfaced at a show again. there are so many shows where we used to get "lose our minds" drunk that i wish i could go back and experience and remember. but i guess going forward i am going to remember everything from now on...

the focus of your therapy is probably going to start on your immediate family history and branch out from there. my counselor gave me some books to read and gave me some things to work on so that when i find myself in similar situations as how things were i can handle them appropriately. just take whatever advice the counselor gives you and apply it. getting better is not a magical thing. it takes time and it takes effort and a conscious decision that you are not going to let this shit defeat you.

things get better with appropriate action. i am proof of that.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • by the way, the jason ellis show on faction on satellite radio talks a lot about this website. the guy that does this site is credited with saving ellismate's life. the site looks kind of hokey, but i have heard that there is some great stuff on there and it has really helped a lot of people....

http://toolstolife.com/

good luck!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    Hi again.
    I think most people don't take insults well and would perhaps strike back verbally also.

You are hard on yourself I think. When I was young I was a lot harder on my self than I am now.
    When you enter old age an acceptance of who you are is the plus. There is a lot of peace
    that comes just from this.

I have many young men in my life right about your age. Those who have passed through
    into their 30's now also went through some pretty tough times right about 27-30.

My mama always said ... "this as all things shall pass"

I'm not making light but this perspective really has helped me and I have found
    it to be true.

Go easy on yourself, try to enjoy ... glad you are seeking help

and remember about how wonderful it is to be needed... doing something nice for someone else
    truly raises spirits all around.

Take good care and know you are worth all the love you receive and it is yours to keep :D
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    chadwick wrote:
    Leningrad_Cowboys.jpg

wow. nice hair, fuckers... those dudes are rad, man!
    here they are doin stairway to heaven in Helsinki @ senate square.
    http://youtu.be/QxzItqgWMDQ

ya learn something everyday...never ever heard of these dudes before. thank you sir, byrnzie

http://youtu.be/ZGsUfImawKo
    :shock: neil? that you on stilts?[/quote]

I saw them play in London in about 2002. They're funny fuckers - used to have their own themed-restaurant in Helsinki too.