Options

Official DMB Thread

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i'd love to see another dave & friends tour for 2017
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    Rumor has it DMB playing 4 nights in Charlottesville in November.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    norm said:

i'd love to see another dave & friends tour for 2017

I've never gotten to see Dave & Tim before, so hoping I get to do so in 2017 when it's a quieter year for the band.

samjam said:

Anybody planning on going to Jones Beach? I'd love to accompany, I have nobody to go with. PM me! :)

Also just wanted to throw this out there again--I have nobody to go with, and hope that changes!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,677
    dlymnfld said:

Rumor has it DMB playing 4 nights in Charlottesville in November.

Is this a real rumor or random conjecture from a board? C'ville is the best place to see them and selfishly, only an hour from me.
  • Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    According to the DMB site they will not be touring in 2017.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I'll need to search for tickets, but looks like I'll be hitting SPAC for the first time ever! :)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Confirmed for Camden N1 but declined for N2.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,907
    hey guys I used to be a huuuuge dmb back in the day (saw 10+ shows) but kind of lost interest. I'm pumped to be seeing him this summer at holmdel, nj.
    of all the live traxs shows which are your top three recommendations? Thanks so much.
    Mike
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

hey guys I used to be a huuuuge dmb back in the day (saw 10+ shows) but kind of lost interest. I'm pumped to be seeing him this summer at holmdel, nj.
    of all the live traxs shows which are your top three recommendations? Thanks so much.
    Mike

Does it have to be livetrax? I still really like Weekend on the Rocks and the Gorge shows from 02, if you don't have those. For livetrax, my preferences from old days and new include Hampton from 96 and Cleveland from '13.
  • Options
    it definitely doesn't have to be from livetrax. What 's like the boston 3/soldier field of the dmb world?
  • Options
    Live at Central Park is the definitive, most accessible show. IMO, you move on to the Gorge in 2002, then Red Rocks. I have all of this if you need it. Just PM me and I can get you links.
  • Options
    ok what i have is:
    red rocks 95
    dave/tim radio city and luther college
    central park
    live trax vol 6 fenway park
    listener supported east continental 9/11/99
  • Options
    All good. I would get the Red Rocks from 2006 which is 4 shows (Weekend on the Rocks), The Gorge from 2002 (3 shows) and Chicago 98. That was a great show with Victor Wooten as a guest.
  • Options
    these are live trax? thanks for the input!
  • Options
    No they aren't. They were official releases before the livetrax started.
  • Options
    ok went to amazon. i got: live at the gorge, live at piedmont, red rocks and wrigley field! i'm really really pumped. thanks for the input!
    any other suggestions keep them coming!
    mike
  • Options
    Piedmont is very good. Forgot about that one. Greg Allman joins him and sings Sweet Melissa. I'll go back through my catalog tonight. But Chicago 98 is excellent.
  • Options
    With Dave, the music is always good and the recordings are always top notch. I can't think of any issues with the band or the sound itself. It all comes down to the set. He pisses me off on his sets for the past 8 or 10 years, so if you like the set, I guarantee you'll like the show.
  • Options
    You know I had Chicago 98 but lost it in a move. I got to get that one too because I remember it was a kick ass show.
    What s happened to the sets In the past 8-10 years?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

You know I had Chicago 98 but lost it in a move. I got to get that one too because I remember it was a kick ass show.
    What s happened to the sets In the past 8-10 years?

Dave just writes quirky setlists in my opinion. He'll have the encore as Stolen Away on 55th or Space Between. Or he'll string three slow songs together (not like Crash, but sit down songs). That's fine when PJ does it because they play 35 songs, but when your songs are all long as hell and you only can squeeze 18 in, that makes a difference. I looked at the Euro tour from the fall and it was pretty good. I've just been critical about this for a few years. I think he draws too much from the newer albums which are just okay in my book. I like stuff from Goo Grux, but some other newer stuff should just be in the random rotation.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    mrussel1 said:

All good. I would get the Red Rocks from 2006 which is 4 shows (Weekend on the Rocks), The Gorge from 2002 (3 shows) and Chicago 98. That was a great show with Victor Wooten as a guest.

for the official releases, man, i would stay away from weekend on the rocks - way too much stand up material on there. no one should ever be subjected to three 10-minute versions of dreamgirl. 'live in chicago' from winter '98 is a good one for sure. 'live at red rocks' '95 really is a must have.

for the live trax:
    live trax 1: 12.8.98 worcester, mass., is another winter '98 show (like 'live in chicago') but is a must have. bela fleck guests on a few songs and adds quite a bit. probably the best 'last stop' ever?
    live trax 16: 6.26.00 cincinnati, ohio is one of 3-4 2000 shows released but i think is the best and is arguably from their greatest live era. probably can't go wrong with a 2000 show, though, if you wanted to try one of the others.
    live trax 20: 8.19.93 new york, ny is a great early show that has warren haynes guesting. for an early show, this is probably the best.
    live trax 36: 7.26.15 alpine valley. full disclosure: i was there. i was also there for a couple other live trax releases i would not recommend, so there's that, too. but for a recent show it shows what the band sounds like these days and seems to have been fairly well received as a live trax entry. also one of their longest shows ever.
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    Alpine from 2008 is also available as a livetrax and is highly recommended. I may be bias because I was there though.
  • Options
    Red Rocks 95 is my favorite release. The Live Trax from Alpine a few years ago if really good as well.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    I don't mind Stand Up, with the exception of dream girl and stolen away. Otherwise I thought the album translated to live quite well.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    i was at alpine '08, too. never heard anything louder there than when they went into halloween.

would still recommend the '15 show over the '08 if picking just one.

studio or live, stand up is terrible (my opinion, of course). they don't play the best track, hello again, which is baffling. you might die trying has become a live staple and crowd pleaser, which is fine, but it's still a not very good song. they seem to dig up a song or two from it every year but they don't stick around long.
  • Options
    Hello Again is the best track, by far. But Bayou became a pretty good jam at the encore when it was in rotation.
  • Options
    Man, it was the '08 Alpine i was thinking about. Time flies!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311
    Love the Live Trax series, ones that standout for me off the top of my head are Cleveland (Cuyahoga Falls) 2013, the Wetlands show from 1993 (Vol 20), Buenos Aires 2010 awesome crowd there just like for PJ, I also like Rochester Hills, MI show as well. Fenway 2 from 2006 was awesome too.
  • Options

Love the Live Trax series, ones that standout for me off the top of my head are Cleveland (Cuyahoga Falls) 2013, the Wetlands show from 1993 (Vol 20), Buenos Aires 2010 awesome crowd there just like for PJ, I also like Rochester Hills, MI show as well. Fenway 2 from 2006 was awesome too.

Yep... Blossom/Cleveland 2013 is one that I pointed to as well. It was one of the better sets they put together on that tour. Really first class.
  • Options
    guys thanks for all the suggestions! definitely going to be ordering chicago 98, live tax 1/16 and 20 to start. anybody listen to the camden show from 01 (live trax vol 31)