Options

Official DMB Thread

Comments

• Options
    JK_Livin said:

Happy tour day!!!!

Yeah, it begins tonight. Have fun to all those who are going tonight as well as the tour.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Setlist from night 1:

1. Bartender *
    2. Stay Or Leave +
    3. Take Me To Tomorrow ~
    4. Satellite Ä
    5. Stolen Away On 55th & 3rd Ä
    6. Tripping Billies Ä
    7. #27 Ä
    8. Minarets Ä
    9. Sugar Man Ä
    10. Two Step Ä

-------- BREAK --------

11. Big Eyed Fish
    12. Seek Up
    13. Seven
    14. So Right
    15. One Sweet World
    16. Grey Street
    17. If Only
    18. Don’t Drink the Water
    19. Belly Belly Nice
    21. Pantala Naga Pampa
    22. Rapunzel

-------- ENCORE --------

23. The Space Between
    24. All Along The Watchtower
    SHOW NOTES:

* Dave And Tim
    + Carter, Dave and Tim
    ~ Carter, Dave, Stefan and Tim
    Ä All

Terrific set to start to the tour!! I wish the electric set had a couple more songs, but this is making me even more excited for my 2 shows!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    wow! that looks awesome!
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,709
    How long did they play? I was lucky enough to score six in the pit for the VA Beach show.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

How long did they play? I was lucky enough to score six in the pit for the VA Beach show.

Yesterday the venue posted these times: 7-8:15 acoustic set, 8:45-11 electric set. I think they ended up going on a bit later and played for a bit shorter than said times, but I'm not positive. That's the gist, though.
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    They didn't go on until 7:20 local time
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,971
    Seeing them Saturday in Mansfield. Cannot wait for the acoustic opener!!!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    I've been to 4 shows this tour and damn, was it a good run! The opening sets were by far my highlights. The whole band will eventually come out during the acoustic set, but they tone it way down. Best Two Step and Tripping Billies versions I've ever heard. It's a great tour and a great re-working of songs. Oh and the main set isn't bad either!
  • Options
    I'm fairly sick of space between. I'm not sure why theycontinue to play that as an encore, let alone at all. I've seen DMB so many times in my life, and I continue to go becuase it's a ritual. But sometimes I think he is not tuned into the audience as to the groove they are feeling. I feel like his set list selection has gotten worse over the years, whereas I think PJ continues to grow closer in groove to the audience.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I'm fairly sick of space between. I'm not sure why theycontinue to play that as an encore, let alone at all. I've seen DMB so many times in my life, and I continue to go becuase it's a ritual. But sometimes I think he is not tuned into the audience as to the groove they are feeling. I feel like his set list selection has gotten worse over the years, whereas I think PJ continues to grow closer in groove to the audience.

I know what you are saying when you mention 'ritual'.

I think it's important to keep things in perspective. While I have the songs I don't get too excited about... I still respect the effort on the part of the band and the fact that there are some in the crowd that are digging the tune.

I've just been spoiled seeing them so many times that has put me in a place where I can turn my nose up at a song.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Passed on tickets to Bangor because I didn't think I would be in Maine at that time. Now its looking like I will be. Hoping there is a ticket drop at some point!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    those setlists have been looking awesome.... i wish i would've caught the show in ATL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Been getting ready for Saturday night by listening to live DMB via Spotify...and DAMN...there is a lot of it there!

• Options
    Can't wait til PNC on Saturday! And got a surprise when I found out DMB will be in Michigan when I will, and that my boyfriend got tix for us! Shows 19 and 20, here I come!
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

mrussel1 said:

I know what you are saying when you mention 'ritual'.

I think it's important to keep things in perspective. While I have the songs I don't get too excited about... I still respect the effort on the part of the band and the fact that there are some in the crowd that are digging the tune.

I've just been spoiled seeing them so many times that has put me in a place where I can turn my nose up at a song.
    I haven't seen DMB since '08 and before that it was '04, but before that it was a LOT of shows between '94-'02. Even back then, as we got to '01 and '02, I was mostly going because I had made so many good friends who were going and it was more a social event. It felt like the earthshaking songs/versions were way way more the exception than the rule by then. It felt a long way away from Worcester '97 when I was in the 3rd row floor and my jaw dropped at the first notes of Halloween.

Not that it's a contest between DMB and PJ, but since we are on the PJ board, I just have to compare and say that contrary to my DMB experiences, my jaw dropped several times at the '13 PJ shows I saw. That's why I still see them live. :D
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Oh, and forgot to say... I have never. ever. ever liked "Space Between". EVER! LOL!
  • Options
    That's exactly what I'm saying. I feel like PJ has just gotten better at putting shows together and Dave has gotten worse unfortunately. The thing is, he has the songs to put together both a killer and a different show every single night. He could easily blow us away. But they don't night in and night out. You can get a great show, and then he pulls together a weak setlist and you're like, WTF? Then you look at the night before or after, and you're like DAMMIT, why couldn't he play these??

• Options
    Maybe I'm being over-optimistic, folks. I do hear what you are saying, but I'm respectfully not there with you.

I go to the Gorge each year and it's 60 different songs (20 each night). This is pretty impressive to me.

As for the PJ comparison... I'm not knocking PJ at all- the show I got this year was the best show they've ever played for me and arguably one of the best concerts I've ever attended. With 37 songs played... I have nothing to complain about at all... but there are easily 10 songs that could have been replaced with others that would have made the night orgasmic. Guaranteed though, the songs that didn't make the hair on my arms stand up... made the hair on someone else's stand up.

So... I guess what I'm saying is you can't please all every song, or set list for that matter. I'm also saying I like coming to a show not knowing what the band is going to play. I'm not as appreciative of the shows where I go to setlist.fm and know what song is coming up next.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I like both bands but it's hit or miss with set lists for both. For the last 2 PJ Philly shows N1 was awesome but I was let down N2 because of the repeats. I like going to the shows though because you will get 2-3 songs you weren't expecting and I still don't mind a pee break song. This 2 set format is caool because I've never seen an coustic DMB show or D&T show. Also, PJ tends to play 10 more songs a show because their live songs are shorter.

1 week until Camden!!!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Yeah, I know I'm being a little hyper critical. I saw two shows last year and they were both 'meh'. By contrast, I saw both the C'ville shows on the Winter Tour and they were spectacular. But see, I get why PJ has to play some 'hits', as they have to build a set for us and the casual fan.

By contrast, if Dave came out and played Ants, Rapunzel or Everyday to appeal to the broad audience, I'd be okay with that because I love when they play those songs. Certainly I'd rather hear Recently, One Sweet World, etc. Instead, he'll play Space Between, Stolen Away, Squirm, Shake me like a monkey, etc. These are not broad appeal songs. Look at the encore from SPAC the other night. Sucked.

I hear you on the PHL 1/2. I was there too and was surprised that Unthought was played both nights. But I think that was Stone's call honestly. I put together the multi-cams of both shows and I can tell you that Stone had shit eating grins both nights. I really think he likes playing that tune. But I don't understand why people are down on Phl 2. I really liked that show. Hail Hail, Satans Bed, Untitled/MFC, Come Back, Leaving Here, BLOOOD! .. I really, really enjoyed that show.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, I know I'm being a little hyper critical. I saw two shows last year and they were both 'meh'. By contrast, I saw both the C'ville shows on the Winter Tour and they were spectacular. But see, I get why PJ has to play some 'hits', as they have to build a set for us and the casual fan.

By contrast, if Dave came out and played Ants, Rapunzel or Everyday to appeal to the broad audience, I'd be okay with that because I love when they play those songs. Certainly I'd rather hear Recently, One Sweet World, etc. Instead, he'll play Space Between, Stolen Away, Squirm, Shake me like a monkey, etc. These are not broad appeal songs. Look at the encore from SPAC the other night. Sucked.

I hear you on the PHL 1/2. I was there too and was surprised that Unthought was played both nights. But I think that was Stone's call honestly. I put together the multi-cams of both shows and I can tell you that Stone had shit eating grins both nights. I really think he likes playing that tune. But I don't understand why people are down on Phl 2. I really liked that show. Hail Hail, Satans Bed, Untitled/MFC, Come Back, Leaving Here, BLOOOD! .. I really, really enjoyed that show.

It's not that I didn't enjoy it. You mention the songs that made the show. It's a shame they were back to back shows. They have plenty of standard hits that didn't have to be repeated N2
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Tonight's the night!

• Options
    Sweet. Let us know how it was. Nice to get a Saturday show.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Fantastic show last night! We all had such a blast. The acoustic set alone was worth the price of admission. Had read that Dave and Tim alone were starting most shows but we got the full band right away. Didn't know every song but loved every second they were onstage. The crowd was so much better this year than last, I think in part to us having seats and not being stuck up on the lawn. We started looking into Hartford tickets for July from the parking lot. :-)

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dave-matthews-band/2014/xfinity-center-mansfield-ma-4bc01bca.html#
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• Options
    JimmyV said:

Fantastic show last night! We all had such a blast. The acoustic set alone was worth the price of admission. Had read that Dave and Tim alone were starting most shows but we got the full band right away. Didn't know every song but loved every second they were onstage. The crowd was so much better this year than last, I think in part to us having seats and not being stuck up on the lawn. We started looking into Hartford tickets for July from the parking lot. :-)

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dave-matthews-band/2014/xfinity-center-mansfield-ma-4bc01bca.html#

That's a pretty nice set list. Seek Up, Long Black Veil, Stay (which they don't play very much at all) and a strong encore. Was it 3 1/2 hours?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    JimmyV said:

and you got the lovely ladies! for the first time since 2001 i believe
  • Options
    norm said:

JimmyV said:

and you got the lovely ladies! for the first time since 2001 i believe
    Very cool! Some songs I'm a fan of them on, some not so much. But having only started going to shows in 2009, it would definitely be cool to catch a show where they're featured. Boyd tweeted "They will be with us for a few shows. The dates, I’m not sure of, but they’ll be with us 4 awhile.” so hoping I see them on Tuesday at PNC or in a couple weeks in Michigan!

CANNOT WAIT for PNC on Tuesday. This tour seems like a really special one.
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    The Lovely Ladies were awesome. They sounded great and the crowd energy, which was already good, spiked when they appeared.

Not exactly sure how long they played but my gut says probably less than 3 1/2 hours. Mansfield is a tough venue for curfew and I don't think they broke it.

• Options
    The Lovely Ladies onstage in Mansfield. Not the greatest pic but I was trying to get everybody in the shot.

• Options
    Yesterday was fantastic, one of the best DMB shows I've seen in a while. Crowd was on fire, singing at the top of their lungs. This tour is such a treat. Acoustic set was fun, highlights were Oh and Minarets. Even though I'm not a fan of Stolen Away or Pay For What You Get, was cool to hear as I've never heard them before. Regular set was pure fire. Pig>Granny>Grey St to open had the crowd wild. Say Goodbye>DIDO was another huge highlight. I loves me some DIDO :) Lovely Ladies were great, especially on Stay (I don't get the hate for this song at all!). Was hoping for JTR, but guess not this time. Aaaaand no Watchtower to close, so that capped off a terrific night for me! Next stop: Clarkston, MI in 2 weeks!
    ~not a dude~