The National Football League

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    My venom toward the brand is their treatment of Dylan Mulvaney by not standing behind her after the homophobes were afraid this meant they were going to get butt raped in the middle of the night if they drank Bud Light.
    I agree. It was cowardice. 
    mrussel1 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    I liked when the HUT had those NCAA mini basketbalks

drive my folks crazy, had to get a bunch… 

pizza/breadsticks good when I was a kid
    Back in the day, all of the dough was made fresh every day.  Sometime around 94 or so, they moved to frozen dough.  This was after Pepsi bought them.  Sucked after that.  
    Yeah man I used to make that fucking dough! haha

Cool story about Petrovic. He should do a Pizza Hut commercial or something
    When you made a fresh pizza or was really good. 
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    Everything else aside, a cold AF Budweiser is solid. Just like a Miller High Life or Old Style. And you can drink a few of ‘em. 
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    Everything else aside, a cold AF Budweiser is solid. Just like a Miller High Life or Old Style. And you can drink a few of ‘em. 
    Bud -yes
    Old Style - maybe
    Miller High Life - god, no.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    Bud -yes
    Old Style - maybe
    Miller High Life - god, no.
    Champagne of beers!  What one of my buddies drinks when loading up on beers.  I prefer Lite.  Also, significantly fewer calories when tailgating or fishing or anything where a bunch of beer is consumed.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,617
    I'm down with the High Life.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Yeah I would go High Life over Bud any day of the week
    www.myspace.com
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    In college we drank Milwaukee's Best (Beast) and Old Milwaukee (Old Mill Water).  Mainly because it was cheap.  I think you could get a case of Old Mill Water pounders for like $12 at the time at the small grocery store next door.  

There was a group I would hang with sometimes that drank Ice House.  That was really bad beer with a strong/bad taste.

Nowadays, I am mostly a craft beer guy and also like Semi-Dry Cider.  If I am in a situation where I know I am going to drink like 5+ beers, like a long tailgate or camping, I will go with what I call "marathon beers" like Coors Lite.  Bud Lite isnt terrible.  Molson Canadian Lite is fine as well as PBR.  

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    MayDay10 said:
    In college we drank Milwaukee's Best (Beast) and Old Milwaukee (Old Mill Water).  Mainly because it was cheap.  I think you could get a case of Old Mill Water pounders for like $12 at the time at the small grocery store next door.  

There was a group I would hang with sometimes that drank Ice House.  That was really bad beer with a strong/bad taste.

Nowadays, I am mostly a craft beer guy and also like Semi-Dry Cider.  If I am in a situation where I know I am going to drink like 5+ beers, like a long tailgate or camping, I will go with what I call "marathon beers" like Coors Lite.  Bud Lite isnt terrible.  Molson Canadian Lite is fine as well as PBR.  

I've often pontificated on what today's college youth are drinking. I'm sure it's still all the cheap shit we drank but there are soooo many better options these days than 25 years ago. 
    www.myspace.com
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,816
    In college it was kegs of Busch. $26 for a half keg. We kept the Heineken keg in a secret room. Now I prefer scotch. I have a college freshman. They drink much less than we did, at least here in NY. And to stay on point, they seem less interested in the NFL.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,132
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    All l care about is wings, spinach artichoke dip, guacamole, pizza pies, kielbasa, maybe a sub or two, and warm chocolate cookies. That and being left alone for a few hours on a Sunday. I hope it is a good game!
    Perfect combos and what do you have for drinks? 

On the wagon at the moment. So probably a case of plain polar seltzer.  Any good plans? There might be some special chocolate involved for the pregame.   
    May i recommend the ginger lime mule, it is my fav flavor by them now.
    Polar Seltzer Water Ginger Lime Mule 12 Fl Oz Cans 24 Pack - Picture 1 of 12
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,132
    I heard Swifty is jetting in from Japan as a surprise guest for the half time show where she endorses Brandon from the 50 while Brandon and Hunter sky dive and drop onto the field with parachutes, take the mic from Swifty and give a 5 minute speech on their accomplishments. 
    You say a lotta stupid shit but this one actually made me laugh. Bravo.
    edited January 31
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    All l care about is wings, spinach artichoke dip, guacamole, pizza pies, kielbasa, maybe a sub or two, and warm chocolate cookies. That and being left alone for a few hours on a Sunday. I hope it is a good game!
    Perfect combos and what do you have for drinks? 

On the wagon at the moment. So probably a case of plain polar seltzer.  Any good plans? There might be some special chocolate involved for the pregame.   
    May i recommend the ginger lime mule, it is my fav flavor by them now.
    Polar Seltzer Water Ginger Lime Mule 12 Fl Oz Cans 24 Pack - Picture 1 of 12

Damn have not seen that here in NY. I usually go plain or pink grapefruit.

I heard Swifty is jetting in from Japan as a surprise guest for the half time show where she endorses Brandon from the 50 while Brandon and Hunter sky dive and drop onto the field with parachutes, take the mic from Swifty and give a 5 minute speech on their accomplishments. 
    I'm looking forward to Hunter's speech detailing his "accomplishments"...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    MayDay10 said:

I've often pontificated on what today's college youth are drinking. I'm sure it's still all the cheap shit we drank but there are soooo many better options these days than 25 years ago. 
    My son is a senior at a big school and in a frat.  They drink kegs like we did, shitty beer still.  But then he and his friends pre-gamed at my house on New Years Eve and they had some real garbage.  They were "craft" beers but all different sours.  They left like a case behind and I don't know what to do with them.  I can't bring it upon myself to throw away beer, but I also get annoyed with it in my garage fridge.  
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,717
    MayDay10 said:

Back in 1991 you could get a 40 oz of Old Milwaukee for $1 at the package store on the Norfolk Naval Station. We would buy an armful, drive to the beach by the base and get hammered.
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

My son is a senior at a big school and in a frat.  They drink kegs like we did, shitty beer still.  But then he and his friends pre-gamed at my house on New Years Eve and they had some real garbage.  They were "craft" beers but all different sours.  They left like a case behind and I don't know what to do with them.  I can't bring it upon myself to throw away beer, but I also get annoyed with it in my garage fridge.  

I have a 12 pack of "flavored" IPAs that have sitting in my garage for a year and a half. Hoping someone steals them.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,399
    I’m in good company.

In high school it was Bud Kingers or long necks, a six pack to a person. Or a keg. A six pack of kingers was $3. Girls drank Lowenbrau quickies and Southern Comfort. Miller High Life was the first beer I got drunk and puked on. Still can’t drink it to this day. A frat on the local campus had a soda machine where the Mellow Yellow button was no label cheap beer for $.25 a can. We’d sneak in and empty it out with quarters then sneak the beer into the $1.00 movie night on campus. As soon as the lights went down you’d hear beers opening and see joints and bowls sparking up. Good times.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Cook it.

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2014/04/pairing-and-cooking-with-sour-beers.html

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    mrussel1 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    I liked when the HUT had those NCAA mini basketbalks

drive my folks crazy, had to get a bunch… 

pizza/breadsticks good when I was a kid
    Back in the day, all of the dough was made fresh every day.  Sometime around 94 or so, they moved to frozen dough.  This was after Pepsi bought them.  Sucked after that.  
    I remember that. had a discount as I worked for Pepsi and that's exactly when it started to suck and sales started to plummet. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Get_Right said:
    I have not had a beer in four years. But life is too short for shitty beer.
    In college I was too broke for anything but. 
    I managed a Pizza Hut in the first few years of college (Busch Gardens Pizza Hut!!).  The one advantage was unlimited food and beer supply.  There is also a very healthy barter market amongst restaurants and stores like that.  We would trade food for booze, weed, tickets to BG, etc.  There was a time, long ago, when Pizza Hut was good and expensive pizza. 
    I was a cook/driver back in the 90's. Long Live the Hut!
    Quick, mildly interesting story.  I managed one from 92 until like 95.  I think it was probably 93 when I hired this waitress.  She said her husband needed a job too, so he came in and I hired him as a driver.  Well it was Tim Petrovic, the PGA golfer.  He's on the senior tour now.  He had lost his Nike tour sponsor and was broke so he came to Tampa to work on his game.  We ended up becoming good friends and played a lot of golf together at the USF course.  What a stick he was and what a treat it was to play golf with him often.  He ended up having a decent career, won a few tournaments including the St Jude.  He's even better on the senior.  Last year I think he placed second at the US Senior Open.  And whenever he does well and on television, they will always talk about how he worked at pizza hut.  Next time they tell that story, you'll know I hired him.  
    very cool story

www.headstonesband.com

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077
    Get_Right said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I have a 12 pack of "flavored" IPAs that have sitting in my garage for a year and a half. Hoping someone steals them.
    https://youtu.be/je1NIf8GeeY
    Get_Right said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

That's really funny.  Also reminds me that 20 years ago, Oktoberfest was a good beer.  But now I think it tastes like shit.  Not sure if it changed when it went mass market or I did.  I feel the same way about Stella.  I used to think that was pretty good, but not anymore.  Also bought owned by In-Bev now.  
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077
    mrussel1 said:
    Get_Right said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

That's really funny.  Also reminds me that 20 years ago, Oktoberfest was a good beer.  But now I think it tastes like shit.  Not sure if it changed when it went mass market or I did.  I feel the same way about Stella.  I used to think that was pretty good, but not anymore.  Also bought owned by In-Bev now.  
    When I was in college in the ‘90s, I thought Sam Adams was the gold standard. Now I wouldn’t have one if my life depended on it. Same w/ Harpoon.
    There’s too many better options out there now. 

I was NEVER a beer snob. I'd drink anything that was cold. MGD, Bud, Lab Light, Blue, even the dreaded Winnipeg staple Club Beer. Now, I can barely stomach anything that's mass produced. Some of it literally tastes like nothing (Coors Light) and others taste like cold piss (anything Assheiser Gross). 

And I don't like most of the "specialties" that all the crafties make. Eternal Sunshine. Mango Cosmos. Mexican Hot Chocolate. So I'm stuck with buying up all their lagers and ales, which seem to be getting made less and less. Everyone seems to go ga ga over this blueberry garbage, so the crafties keep shoving it out. 

www.headstonesband.com

I was NEVER a beer snob. I'd drink anything that was cold. MGD, Bud, Lab Light, Blue, even the dreaded Winnipeg staple Club Beer. Now, I can barely stomach anything that's mass produced. Some of it literally tastes like nothing (Coors Light) and others taste like cold piss (anything Assheiser Gross). 

And I don't like most of the "specialties" that all the crafties make. Eternal Sunshine. Mango Cosmos. Mexican Hot Chocolate. So I'm stuck with buying up all their lagers and ales, which seem to be getting made less and less. Everyone seems to go ga ga over this blueberry garbage, so the crafties keep shoving it out. 
    Like you, I don't like the strange specialties.  

My go to beer, always in the fridge is Jai Alai (IPA) from Cigar City Brewing.  Awesome beer.  The other one(s) I really enjoy are most any Starr Hill beers.  They are from Charlottesville so it's always in every store by me.  And their beers are named after classic rock like Grateful Ale, Ramble On, etc.  But I don't even drink beer or anything very often.  Give me an edible and I am much happier (and relaxed). 

Get_Right said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Hilarious and also true. I think the last time I had a beer is was a sculpin ale from ballast. It was good. Change that, it was Modelos cans out of a cooler before MMJ. Still have a few.
    and “you say a lot of stupid shit” made me laugh.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,399
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    Like I said, “I’m in good company.”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Yeah I would go High Life over Bud any day of the week
    no, no, no, no, no! have you tasted it lately? my BIL brought over a 12 pack (cuz he’s a cheap ass) and we both agreed it was terrible. MGD, maybe, but not high life. they did have good commercials, tho, with the manly man - giving his lady a single rose in an empty high life bottle; putting butter on a steak and shaking his head as he watches a neighbor try, unsuccessfully, to back a trailer into his driveway .

there’s only a few beers I might say no to - high life, montucky (cold snack), olympia and heineken.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16