Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,649
    Saw a great tweet a few minutes ago….

a legendary coach to one generation 
    a legendary broadcaster to the next generation 
    a videogame legend to the one after that.  
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,325
    RIP his broadcast years is when I loved NFL the best!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The face and voice of football. The ultimate “football guy.” BOOM. RIP. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    RIP John.  What a legend.

The Fox special on madden that aired Christmas was good…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    Will always be a part of my life growing up and on.... RIP JM.. Legend...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,613
    I assumed he was already dead
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,991
    RIP John Madden 🥲
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,219
    RIP John Madden.  A true football legend.  Every broadcast he had you could tell how much he loved the game.  
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    He was decent on the new jersey devils too
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,263
    MayDay10 said:
    He was decent on the new jersey devils too
    And his two sons play in Good Charlotte.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Attaway77 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm sold on the fact that Wentz will be Indy's QB at least for the next 2-3 years. But beyond that, and when Reich drafts a QB within the next two seasons, is this skim milk motherfucker going to throw another shit fit?
    Why do Philly people hate him? Did something happen on the way out,
    Are you familiar with what's going on with Ben Simmons? Sorta the exact same situation.

But yeah, at the same time I thought, I really don't care what he does after he's gone as long as we get a 1st rounder for him. Which we will now, our GM really was able to do great with this trade. But, then sitting here on a calm Christmas night filled with all this cheer, and I realize, no, I would actually enjoy watching this paste face get murdered.
    Ben is choosing not to play because he is a giant baby.  Carson didn't do anything like that,  did he? I'm not saying you shouldn't dislike him..I don't like him.  But I thought everything was the Eagles call. 
    Like Ben he wanted/did force his way out for incredibly dumb and ludicrous reasons. He didn't like seeing the Bud Light statue of Nick Foles outside the stadium. Oh, yeah, and they drafted a QB in the 2nd round. Instead of finding any motivation in any of that he folded like a baby. But again it's fine, I always got the Tebow vibe from him, which I feel like I was holding back from really ripping him on.
    Well, he did pretty much get the Eagles through the season until he got hurt, then Nick Foles just finished it with the same players around him and won the SB (sort of like Switzer/Gruden next season... Foles hasn't done much since and Carson is bringing back some life to the Colts. Philly fans I have respect for, harsh at times, but much respect.... BUT.... come on now, none of the shit off the field matters, it's winning that does for any team/franchise, simple as that. If Carson finished and stood there holding that Lombardi, Eagles fans would still worship/despise him now... Man I love football!!!!!!
    But he didn't. He's never won a playoff game, actually.

What I'm saying is the Tebow vibe of him has only made it easier to tell him to eat shit.
    Tebow vibe? 

I’d be perfectly fine with the Colts moving on, as I think there are some other similar options, but he seems fully capable of riding the rest of that team to a Lombardi skill wise.
    Until he puts up a 5-12 for 57 yard performance like two weeks ago. He was great in 2017. Ever since he's been largely mediocre.

And in addition to the stuff JP mentioned, there were a lot of reports of his teammates not looking to him as a leader (and just not liking him in general) and the coaches complaining about him being uncoachable.

Indy was clearly the best landing spot for him with Frank Reich, great running back to carry him, and a smaller media market but, yeah, I am glad he's not here anymore either. 
    Ummm, The Broncos went on a winning spree w Tebow and won a playoff game w him.  Everyone in the league kept telling us how bad he was but he kept on winning...

I'll never understand that.
  • Options
    The face and voice of football. The ultimate “football guy.” BOOM. RIP. 
    I will always remember that.  Drawing on the board and yelling BOOM!

That and the Tenactin commercial.
  • Options
    Here's a great watch. It's the America's Game documentary on the 1976 Raiders. With Madden, Ken Stabler, and Phil Villipiano...

https://youtu.be/AbEoUIfwwPM
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,649
    edited December 2021
    So many cool broadcasting facts about Madden I never knew

—broadcasters never went to practices the week of games to speak with players and coaches until he did. Now everyone does.  

—-he invented the yellow graphic first down marker on TV
  • Options
    So many cool broadcasting facts about Madden I never knew

—broadcasters never went to practices the week of games to speak with players and coaches until he did. Now everyone does.  

—-he invented the yellow graphic first down marker on TV
    He didn't fly...
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,344
    DewieCox said:
    Attaway77 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm sold on the fact that Wentz will be Indy's QB at least for the next 2-3 years. But beyond that, and when Reich drafts a QB within the next two seasons, is this skim milk motherfucker going to throw another shit fit?
    Why do Philly people hate him? Did something happen on the way out,
    Are you familiar with what's going on with Ben Simmons? Sorta the exact same situation.

But yeah, at the same time I thought, I really don't care what he does after he's gone as long as we get a 1st rounder for him. Which we will now, our GM really was able to do great with this trade. But, then sitting here on a calm Christmas night filled with all this cheer, and I realize, no, I would actually enjoy watching this paste face get murdered.
    Ben is choosing not to play because he is a giant baby.  Carson didn't do anything like that,  did he? I'm not saying you shouldn't dislike him..I don't like him.  But I thought everything was the Eagles call. 
    Like Ben he wanted/did force his way out for incredibly dumb and ludicrous reasons. He didn't like seeing the Bud Light statue of Nick Foles outside the stadium. Oh, yeah, and they drafted a QB in the 2nd round. Instead of finding any motivation in any of that he folded like a baby. But again it's fine, I always got the Tebow vibe from him, which I feel like I was holding back from really ripping him on.
    Well, he did pretty much get the Eagles through the season until he got hurt, then Nick Foles just finished it with the same players around him and won the SB (sort of like Switzer/Gruden next season... Foles hasn't done much since and Carson is bringing back some life to the Colts. Philly fans I have respect for, harsh at times, but much respect.... BUT.... come on now, none of the shit off the field matters, it's winning that does for any team/franchise, simple as that. If Carson finished and stood there holding that Lombardi, Eagles fans would still worship/despise him now... Man I love football!!!!!!
    But he didn't. He's never won a playoff game, actually.

What I'm saying is the Tebow vibe of him has only made it easier to tell him to eat shit.
    Tebow vibe? 

I’d be perfectly fine with the Colts moving on, as I think there are some other similar options, but he seems fully capable of riding the rest of that team to a Lombardi skill wise.
    Until he puts up a 5-12 for 57 yard performance like two weeks ago. He was great in 2017. Ever since he's been largely mediocre.

And in addition to the stuff JP mentioned, there were a lot of reports of his teammates not looking to him as a leader (and just not liking him in general) and the coaches complaining about him being uncoachable.

Indy was clearly the best landing spot for him with Frank Reich, great running back to carry him, and a smaller media market but, yeah, I am glad he's not here anymore either. 
    Ummm, The Broncos went on a winning spree w Tebow and won a playoff game w him.  Everyone in the league kept telling us how bad he was but he kept on winning...

I'll never understand that.
    If Tebow was any good he would've had more success than that two month or so run that year. Are you trying to say he got a raw deal or something?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Tebow was a victim of circumstance and his own stupidity....

Circumstance: We can make fun of his stupid throwing motion and terrible stats, but the fact of the matter is he was a 1st round pick that led his team to the playoffs and he played a great game in beating the Steelers. In every other occurrence of that scenario, he gets another shot the following year (even if Elway wasn't in favor of it). BUT...unfortunately for him, Peyton Manning became a free agent and got to pick his new team, and he picked the Broncos.

His own stupidity: Elway said he'd trade Tebow wherever he wants to go (assuming the team would want him). He should've chosen the Jaguars. He'd be close to where he went to college. The Jags sucked so there'd be no pressure. He'd sell some jerseys and be a good team leader. He's probably suck in the long run, but that's okay. He'd have a few years there under his belt, and might even still be a valuable backup QB to this day. 

BUT NOPE, he chose the Rex Ryan Jets, presumably to be in a big market. And it didn't take long for Rex to see the media attention he was getting wasn't worth the trouble because he wasn't good enough a player to warrant it (ESPN First Take was showing up at their training camps to cover Tebow vs. Sanchez). Really, it's the same reason Kaepernick isn't in the league anymore. If you think it's because he kneeled, you're wrong. Patrick Mahomes could take shit on the American flag at the 50-yard-line and he'd be in KC's starting line up the next week. But when you're just a backup, and you're getting loads and loads of media attention that's distracting from the task at hand, you're expendable, as Tebow and Kaepernick learned. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,254
    RIP 

Madden was authentic.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413

Circumstance: We can make fun of his stupid throwing motion and terrible stats, but the fact of the matter is he was a 1st round pick that led his team to the playoffs and he played a great game in beating the Steelers. In every other occurrence of that scenario, he gets another shot the following year 
    He sucked plain and simple. Broncos won the division with a 500 record and he was just adequate enough to ride a roster that was pretty stacked everywhere else and get the ball to someone that could make something happen against Pittsburgh.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Circumstance: We can make fun of his stupid throwing motion and terrible stats, but the fact of the matter is he was a 1st round pick that led his team to the playoffs and he played a great game in beating the Steelers. In every other occurrence of that scenario, he gets another shot the following year 
    He sucked plain and simple. Broncos won the division with a 500 record and he was just adequate enough to ride a roster that was pretty stacked everywhere else and get the ball to someone that could make something happen against Pittsburgh.
    Yeah that was such a stacked team....that went 4-12 the year prior and hadn't made the playoffs in five years.

Either way, he still would've been Denver's week 1 starter in 2012 if not for the Manning signing. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,505

Circumstance: We can make fun of his stupid throwing motion and terrible stats, but the fact of the matter is he was a 1st round pick that led his team to the playoffs and he played a great game in beating the Steelers. In every other occurrence of that scenario, he gets another shot the following year (even if Elway wasn't in favor of it). BUT...unfortunately for him, Peyton Manning became a free agent and got to pick his new team, and he picked the Broncos.

His own stupidity: Elway said he'd trade Tebow wherever he wants to go (assuming the team would want him). He should've chosen the Jaguars. He'd be close to where he went to college. The Jags sucked so there'd be no pressure. He'd sell some jerseys and be a good team leader. He's probably suck in the long run, but that's okay. He'd have a few years there under his belt, and might even still be a valuable backup QB to this day. 

BUT NOPE, he chose the Rex Ryan Jets, presumably to be in a big market. And it didn't take long for Rex to see the media attention he was getting wasn't worth the trouble because he wasn't good enough a player to warrant it (ESPN First Take was showing up at their training camps to cover Tebow vs. Sanchez). Really, it's the same reason Kaepernick isn't in the league anymore. If you think it's because he kneeled, you're wrong. Patrick Mahomes could take shit on the American flag at the 50-yard-line and he'd be in KC's starting line up the next week. But when you're just a backup, and you're getting loads and loads of media attention that's distracting from the task at hand, you're expendable, as Tebow and Kaepernick learned. 

There is no fucking way you can compare Tim Tebow's inability to stay in the league to Colin Kaepernick's exile from the league.  Colin Kaepernick was more than capable of holding down at worst a backup QB roster spot in 2018, and was arguably a better option than several starting jobs that were held down.  It didn't matter that Peyton Manning was a free agent that next offseason.  If he starts for Denver that following season, I have no doubt he would have played his way to the bench.  In fact he probably doesn't get named the starter out of preseason.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options

There is no fucking way you can compare Tim Tebow's inability to stay in the league to Colin Kaepernick's exile from the league.  Colin Kaepernick was more than capable of holding down at worst a backup QB roster spot in 2018, and was arguably a better option than several starting jobs that were held down.  It didn't matter that Peyton Manning was a free agent that next offseason.  If he starts for Denver that following season, I have no doubt he would have played his way to the bench.  In fact he probably doesn't get named the starter out of preseason.
    Sure there is. For example, I just compared Tebow's inability to stay in the league to Kaepernick's "exile" from the league. 

And shouldn't Kaepernick want to be out of the league? His propaganda piece on Netflix compared being in the NFL to slavery. Being "exiled" isn't as bad as being a slave right? 

Either way, there's more than enough interesting football stuff happening as we near the end of the regular season to bother wasting time on these two has-beens. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Good D, good o-line, good receiving corp, good kicking game. Several that would become household names. QB was their weakest link and had much less the do with the turnaround than the crazy soft schedule. They got thrashed by every decent team they played.
  • Options
    There's no comparison here. Come on.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I'm wasn't comparing them as players. I'm saying the situation of being a second-stringer who is a total distraction to the team was similar. And if each player was better, Tebow in general, and Kaepernick at the point he was benched for Blaine Gabbert, both would still be on a team, distractions be damned. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,263
    Tebow was not an NFL caliber passer, plain and simple.
    Great college QB, but no shot at sustained success in the NFL.
    I remember the game vs the Pats the week after his Broncos beat the Steelers in the playoffs...it was a mauling. Tebow was 9 for 26. 
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    edited December 2021

I'm wasn't comparing them as players. I'm saying the situation of being a second-stringer who is a total distraction to the team was similar. And if each player was better, Tebow in general, and Kaepernick at the point he was benched for Blaine Gabbert, both would still be on a team, distractions be damned. 
    I think Kaepernick's distraction was the fault of the former president who politicized him kneeling for his own political gain. It was hardly a story until Trump decided to use it as a wedge to divide us further. 

Tebow has himself to blame for whatever distraction he was. 

If Mike Vick was able to rehabilitate his career Kaepernick should've been given the chance as well. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Tebow really played only 1 year as a starter, 2011.  The two other years are piece mealed.
  • Options

Tebow really played only 1 year as a starter, 2011.  The two other years are piece mealed.
    So, advantage Kaepernick then. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

OK, if ANYONE followed the Jets at all they would know that Rex liked to be the center of attention and also ruined Mark Sanchez' career.  They gave him no help, when he was down he would not say who the starting quarter back was week in and week out.  Ruined his self esteem.  He got that stupid tattoo to show his love for Sanchez but never really showed it.

Tebow choosing to go to NY like someone mentioned though was absolutely stupid.  He was going into a losing situation right off the bat.