Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Brady vs New England would be a great Super Bowl and a Disney Movie 🍿.
    Sports commentators have already suggested that.

I don't want it as it might be low scoring.  I want action in the games.
    Good points.  But I think it is a real possibility.  KC may stand in the way.  They are playing good football.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I don't think either of them are going to make it.  KC is going to roll everybody now until the Superbowl.  

Tampa might make it out of the NFC, but I think you throw Arizona, Tampa, Green Bay, Cowboys and the Rams in a hat and pick one.
  • Options

Good points.  But I think it is a real possibility.  KC may stand in the way.  They are playing good football.
    They finally had a good game against the not sure if they are good or bad Raiders.  Their previous outings have been really really bad though.  I'm not in on the Chiefs.  They have identity issues.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    MayDay10 said:
    I don't think either of them are going to make it.  KC is going to roll everybody now until the Superbowl.  

Tampa might make it out of the NFC, but I think you throw Arizona, Tampa, Green Bay, Cowboys and the Rams in a hat and pick one.
    Bucs have to get healthy or better in the secondary.  If they do, there's no stopping them.  
  • Options

They finally had a good game against the not sure if they are good or bad Raiders.  Their previous outings have been really really bad though.  I'm not in on the Chiefs.  They have identity issues.
    As of now the hottest team in the afc has to be New England.  Their defence is elite.  They have the best coach.  KC v New England AFC championship game seems right…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

As of now the hottest team in the afc has to be New England.  Their defence is elite.  They have the best coach.  KC v New England AFC championship game seems right…
    I'll never count out Greenbay just because.
    Pats are the hot team now.
    Bucs are still the front runner for me though.
    I thought the Bills played really good against them too.  That Josh Allen is a treat to watch.
  • Options

yeah Baltimore is smoke and mirrors.  I don't know how they win games, but I give a ton of credit to Harbaugh.  But now they are down their secondary, 31st in pass D, Lamar is hurt (although didn't look terrible) but he can't throw to WRs anyway.  It's crazy how they win games.  They could/should be 500 at best. 

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228

That Josh Allen is a treat to watch.
    He should sue the rest of the Bills for lack of support.
    Talk about a guy having to carry the load, Like 85% of the offense was him.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

That Josh Allen is a treat to watch.
    He should sue the rest of the Bills for lack of support.
    Talk about a guy having to carry the load, Like 85% of the offense was him.
    He made quite a few throws that his guys should have got too.

He had 100yds rushing himself.  He runs and can pocket pass.
  • Options
    The problem with the Bills, and its been the story this season is interior O-Line and the running backs.  They cannot establish any sort of conventional running game or threat.  Zero runs to running backs in the first half.   Teams just sit in a deep zone and it limits what they can do because they cannot keep the defense honest.  

Need to find that this offseason.  Cant afford to have Allen keep running like that either.  Its fun to watch and gratifying in the moment to get the big gain or first down... but its going to cost him playing time and shorten his career. 

Its great that Knox has emerged as a weapon as a TE.... but they really miss the blocking ability brought by Lee Smith.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    The problem with the Bills, and its been the story this season is interior O-Line and the running backs.  They cannot establish any sort of conventional running game or threat.  Zero runs to running backs in the first half.   Teams just sit in a deep zone and it limits what they can do because they cannot keep the defense honest.  

Need to find that this offseason.  Cant afford to have Allen keep running like that either.  Its fun to watch and gratifying in the moment to get the big gain or first down... but its going to cost him playing time and shorten his career. 

Its great that Knox has emerged as a weapon as a TE.... but they really miss the blocking ability brought by Lee Smith.
    The coaches changed it up in the 2nd half.

I totally agree w being a mobile QB, he shouldn't have to run 100yds a game to be in contention.  Losing Sanders was a big loss too.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    edited December 2021
    how many of you watched the Grey Cup last night? fucking helluva game. Blue Bombers are back to back champs after coming back to tie in regulation and winning in OT. 

carry on with your 4 down discussion.  ;)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

yeah Baltimore is smoke and mirrors.  I don't know how they win games, but I give a ton of credit to Harbaugh.  But now they are down their secondary, 31st in pass D, Lamar is hurt (although didn't look terrible) but he can't throw to WRs anyway.  It's crazy how they win games.  They could/should be 500 at best. 

It’s been a weird season…Buffalo appeared like the best early on, then Baltimore, no New England and KC is coming on…Baltimore has great coaching.  Have to see how bad Lamar’s injury is…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    mrussel1 said:

It’s been a weird season…Buffalo appeared like the best early on, then Baltimore, no New England and KC is coming on…Baltimore has great coaching.  Have to see how bad Lamar’s injury is…
    I know everyone fawns over BB, but I think John Harbaugh is an A+ coach.  I don't like him because I despise the Ravens, and hate Michigan even more, but I give a ton of respect to how his team's compete every game, every season.  
  • Options
    Yeah.  Id say Belichick, Harbough, Tomlin, Reid are the best, most established.  Then, maybe you would go Rivera, *Payton, and Carroll, along with newer guys like McDermott, Vrabel, Shanahan, and McVay.   

*-Not sure I want to give Payton top echelon credit until he does something post-Brees.  
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    no Mike McCarthy???? :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    how many of you watched the Grey Cup last night? fucking helluva game. Blue Bombers are back to back champs after coming back to tie in regulation and winning in OT. 

Haven’t watched the Grey Cup in a long time, but it used to be something I looked forward to every year. Such a different but interesting style of play.  CFL gets very little to no coverage down here these days. 
  • Options

Haven’t watched the Grey Cup in a long time, but it used to be something I looked forward to every year. Such a different but interesting style of play.  CFL gets very little to no coverage down here these days. 
    yeah, they got a bit of a boost when they added a couple american teams, but that didn't last long. it was actually on ESPN 2 apparently. I think there are some fans of it down there, but not a ton. 

CFL commissioner apparently was trying to float the idea of changing our league to 4 downs. would completely change the entire game, which wouldn't be for the better, IMHO. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Micah Parsons…he’s pretty good, eh.  He is in the conversation for both DPOY and DROY.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited December 2021

yeah, they got a bit of a boost when they added a couple american teams, but that didn't last long. it was actually on ESPN 2 apparently. I think there are some fans of it down there, but not a ton. 

CFL commissioner apparently was trying to float the idea of changing our league to 4 downs. would completely change the entire game, which wouldn't be for the better, IMHO. 
    Pre-pandemic, they were recently showing a lot of games on NBCSports here.  Not sure if they still do as that channel went all streaming.  My experience is if you want to find the CFL here, it is pretty easy and available.

CFL will never catch on in the US with anything larger than a blip.  We are too narrow minded and 'big league'.  Much like Toronto I guess.  The novelty is fun, if you are with a group of guys, nothing is on and you turn on a CFL game and the rules are all zany.  

I guess there is still a small following in Baltimore after they had the team back in the early 90s.  I saw a news story years back where a bunch of old Stallions fans get together to watch games and go to the Grey Cup and shit.

Personally, I do like the CFL.  I hope it never changes.  Ive been to some Hamilton games.  I watch UB Football in the MAC, and its fun to see a lot of the MAC 'stars' end up in the CFL as imports.  Hopefully the league/teams can turn enough profit to stay afloat on its own.  I have seen various rumors/reports of some sort of partnership/merger with the XFL or something.  Might as well bury the thing right then and there.  It always seems like the solvency of the league constantly hinges on whether or not Toronto ownership wants to be bothered with it.

Id watch the CFL any day of the week over any of those other attempts at pro football.

As a side note, I was checking out the comments on a few CFL articles a couple weeks ago, and so many fans were like "get your 4-down crap out of here".... I had no idea that '4 down' was an insult lobbied towards American football, ha.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Pre-pandemic, they were recently showing a lot of games on NBCSports here.  Not sure if they still do as that channel went all streaming.  My experience is if you want to find the CFL here, it is pretty easy and available.

CFL will never catch on in the US with anything larger than a blip.  We are too narrow minded and 'big league'.  Much like Toronto I guess.  The novelty is fun, if you are with a group of guys, nothing is on and you turn on a CFL game and the rules are all zany.  

I guess there is still a small following in Baltimore after they had the team back in the early 90s.  I saw a news story years back where a bunch of old Stallions fans get together to watch games and go to the Grey Cup and shit.

Personally, I do like the CFL.  I hope it never changes.  Ive been to some Hamilton games.  I watch UB Football in the MAC, and its fun to see a lot of the MAC 'stars' end up in the CFL as imports.  Hopefully the league/teams can turn enough profit to stay afloat on its own.  I have seen various rumors/reports of some sort of partnership/merger with the XFL or something.  Might as well bury the thing right then and there.  It always seems like the solvency of the league constantly hinges on whether or not Toronto ownership wants to be bothered with it.

Id watch the CFL any day of the week over any of those other attempts at pro football.

As a side note, I was checking out the comments on a few CFL articles a couple weeks ago, and so many fans were like "get your 4-down crap out of here".... I had no idea that '4 down' was an insult lobbied towards American football, ha.  
    CFL barely makes a blip in our biggest cities, so no, it will never make a dent in the US, as you said. Our Toronto and Vancouver attendances are abysmal. 

yeah, we use the "4 downs" thing as an insult cuz, let's admit it, that's all we got (besides some of the rules). I mean, I think our game is awesome. But you can't beat the talent level and production of the NFL. The things that bother me the most about NFL is:
    1) pace of the game (too slow) 
    2) the announcing. it's like it's two guys having a conversation in the basement with the game on in the background. They're boring. 
    3) some of the rules are just dumb. While I do think having the uprights in the way (potentially) of the play in CFL can suck (it rarely comes into play, although it did in last year's west final), missed field goals sure can get exciting when the defending team has the choice to run it out or lose points for a "rouge". The game being decided sometimes at the 2 minute warning is so anti-climactic. Often CFL games come down to the final play of the final seconds of the game. Fair catches are lame. Our special teams game is so much more exciting than the NFL. Sure, you have the 5 yard rule (can't be within 5 yards of the player until he touches the ball), but it's so much better than waving off because you don't want to be tackled. 

I also like our OT rules better since they changed them. Instead of sudden death OT, the coin toss winner gets to choose who gets the ball first; then that team gets the ball on the opposing team's 35 yard line. If you score a TD, you have to attempt a 2 point conversion; no kicking conversions allowed. Then the other team gets their shot on your 35 yard line. This happens twice (two "mini games") in regular season games; if it's still a tie, then the game ends a tie. In playoffs, if after the two mini games the score is still tied, then it goes to sudden death. 

The Bombers won on an interception in the second mini game when Hamilton had the ball, ending the game and winning the cup. Pretty cool ending to a championship game. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

CFL barely makes a blip in our biggest cities, so no, it will never make a dent in the US, as you said. Our Toronto and Vancouver attendances are abysmal. 

yeah, we use the "4 downs" thing as an insult cuz, let's admit it, that's all we got (besides some of the rules). I mean, I think our game is awesome. But you can't beat the talent level and production of the NFL. The things that bother me the most about NFL is:
    2) the announcing. it's like it's two guys having a conversation in the basement with the game on in the background. They're boring. 
    3) some of the rules are just dumb. While I do think having the uprights in the way (potentially) of the play in CFL can suck (it rarely comes into play, although it did in last year's west final), missed field goals sure can get exciting when the defending team has the choice to run it out or lose points for a "rouge". The game being decided sometimes at the 2 minute warning is so anti-climactic. Often CFL games come down to the final play of the final seconds of the game. Fair catches are lame. Our special teams game is so much more exciting than the NFL. Sure, you have the 5 yard rule (can't be within 5 yards of the player until he touches the ball), but it's so much better than waving off because you don't want to be tackled. 

I also like our OT rules better since they changed them. Instead of sudden death OT, the coin toss winner gets to choose who gets the ball first; then that team gets the ball on the opposing team's 35 yard line. If you score a TD, you have to attempt a 2 point conversion; no kicking conversions allowed. Then the other team gets their shot on your 35 yard line. This happens twice (two "mini games") in regular season games; if it's still a tie, then the game ends a tie. In playoffs, if after the two mini games the score is still tied, then it goes to sudden death. 

The Bombers won on an interception in the second mini game when Hamilton had the ball, ending the game and winning the cup. Pretty cool ending to a championship game. 
    Special teams is where a disproportionate amount of injuries occur, so the NFL is trying to reduce the number of times there's an actual play.  They continue to encourage touchbacks as well, with moving the ball up. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Special teams is where a disproportionate amount of injuries occur, so the NFL is trying to reduce the number of times there's an actual play.  They continue to encourage touchbacks as well, with moving the ball up. 
    this can be mitigated by the 5 yard (or no yards) rule. very few injuries occur in the CFL during special teams. that, however, could also be a result of lower speed level of CFL players. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gee, I wonder if the team had two decades of dominance, a GOAT QB and 9 SB appearances if there'd be more sputtering outrage? So, what's Danny Boy's punishment? You know, to fit the crime?

The Washington Football Team’s owner took former employees to court, deployed private investigators and was accused by the league's investigator of trying to “silence” a key accuser.

In July 2020, just a few days after prominent D.C. attorney Beth Wilkinson began investigating allegations of widespread sexual harassment in the Washington Football Team workplace, she learned of a decade-old allegation of sexual misconduct against team owner Daniel Snyder.

Snyder had for years privately denied the woman’s claims. But the existence of an allegation against him, which had been kept secret by a confidential $1.6 million settlement, had the potential to rock a franchise already reeling from scandal. A few weeks later, Wilkinson sought to interview the former team employee who had made the accusation, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Then Snyder and his team stepped in.

Despite the owner’s public pledge to cooperate “with all aspects of the investigation,” his attorneys attempted to prevent Wilkinson from speaking to Snyder’s accuser, according to a letter the woman’s attorney wrote to Snyder’s lawyers that was filed in federal court.

The Washington Post has not reviewed this letter, which was filed under seal as part of a legal dispute between Wilkinson and a former lawyer for the team. The letter was described by people with knowledge of its contents.

According to these people, the woman’s lawyer, Brendan Sullivan, accused Snyder’s lawyers of offering his client more money beyond the $1.6 million the team paid in 2009, if she agreed not to speak to anyone about her allegations against Snyder and her settlement with the team. In court filings, Wilkinson later described phone calls to Sullivan from Snyder’s lawyers as an attempt to “silence” the 2009 accuser. Wilkinson and Sullivan declined to comment.

Snyder’s attorneys, in their own sealed letter filed in court, denied trying to block the interview and offering the woman more money, according to people familiar with that letter.

In a statement released after this story published online, A. Scott Bolden of the law firm Reed Smith, which represents Snyder and the team, said, “Untrue. It did not happen. Absolutely no effort was made by me or any Reed Smith lawyers to dissuade anyone from speaking with Beth Wilkinson or otherwise cooperating with her investigation, nor was any money offered to anyone not to cooperate. Anyone suggesting something to the contrary is lying.”

Snyder declined an interview request. Lawyers representing Snyder and the team declined interview requests.

Previous NFL probes — into the Ray Rice domestic violence case and the “Deflategate” controversy — resulted in detailed, public reports. A league-sponsored investigation of Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, which substantiated allegations that he had harassed women on the team’s staff and used a racial slur, resulted in the release of executive findings.

Continues

Daniel Snyder worked to disrupt NFL’s Washington investigation, records and interviews show - The Washington Post

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Meyer has been fired…what a fucking loser.  A big FUCKING LOSER.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Meyer kicked a kicker in training camp…what a fucking lowlife.  In what world does this clown live in in which he thinks it’s alright for a boss to kick an employee.  The kicker should have cold cocked the fucker…hopefully no one is dumb enough to hire him again.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,167
    Urban the Asshole

probably off to college to groom a few more future low life’s 
  • Options
    Jesus what an a-hole.

He will coach some community college to prominence though, watch.

Is he the Bob Knight of football coaches?
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    edited December 2021
    He was "The Man" on a college campus. He could get away with a lot of stuff because the kids who played for him didn't speak out for fear of losing their scholarships. The players in the NFL are for the most part grown men who won't put up with that stuff.
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • Options
    He might very well be the biggest loser in NFL history. I can't think of anyone with a more embarrassing tenure. The Jags were stupid to hire him in the first place, but it takes a lot to admit a mistake, as the Jags did last night, so good for them.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com