Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    why isn't this thread moved into the Pit of Misery yet?
    Telling a team not to draft a "queer" in this century is not normal. If you sent a work email telling a manager not to hire a queen you probably should be fired. 

I know.  Great topic for the pit of misery
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    edited October 2021
    My general comment then would be that cancel culture isn't a thing.

Other thoughts: this would be unfortunate if it distracts from raking Snyder over the coals. These don't have to be mutually exclusive.

If you're Ryan Nassib (whoops Carl damnit) you might pick Chucky up by the throat, yes?
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,233
    He’s an idiot

but it’s kinda weird this came to light because of an investigation into another matter 

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,679
    Jason P said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    Telling a team not to draft a "queer" in this century is not normal. If you sent a work email telling a manager not to hire a queen you probably should be fired. 

I know.  Great topic for the pit of misery
    I don't know what that means
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    Could not agree more
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,923
    funny. "I don't have racial bone in my body"

ok. but make a racist comment. and many bigoted ones over several years.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,646
    edited October 2021
    The Raiders are the most diverse, accepting team in NFL history.  It went totally against the history of that franchise.    

First black coach, first Latino coach, first female President.  First gay player.   Besides “Just Winning” that was what Al Davis was all about. When he was coach, Davis was threatening to boycott games where the minorities had to stay in separate hotels. 

What a weird season for the Raiders already.  7 days ago they were 3-0. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Shows you the true structure of the NFL. Ownership is protected 11 times out of 10. 
    An investigation into the workplace of a franchise leads to the coach of a completely different team resigning.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,519
    edited October 2021

The NFL is shady AF, and it's far too much of a coincidence that only Gruden's emails were leaked; emails that give Davis a way out of that God awful contract LV gave him. The owners run the league, this leak was no accident. 

With that being said, if this story happened 20 years ago, memos were leaked of a head coach saying those things through the 90's, including calling the commissioner a 'f*gg*t', do people think he would have been able to keep his job? 

I know our society wasn't as reactionary back then as it is now, but I'm inclined to think he still would have either been fired or forced to resign. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    Everyone keeps saying LV is happy to be out of the contract. They have a brand new stadium in Vegas, they are rolling in money. I don't think they give a crap about the contract and would rather have the coach and avoid this PR.  It's a ton of money to most people, not these people.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,519
    Everyone keeps saying LV is happy to be out of the contract. They have a brand new stadium in Vegas, they are rolling in money. I don't think they give a crap about the contract and would rather have the coach and avoid this PR.  It's a ton of money to most people, not these people.
    I think it has less to do with the $ value of the contract as it does the length. He's under contract for the next 7 seasons and he has a losing record since he signed it. 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    I think it has less to do with the $ value of the contract as it does the length. He's under contract for the next 7 seasons and he has a losing record since he signed it. 
    Fair enough.  The losing record so far was probably somewhat expected, but hear you on the length.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    You have to be a special kind of douche to buy into the term "cancel culture." It's every employers right to distance themselves from that person for being a total asshole. 
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    The real shocker in all of this is that Gruden knows how to use email. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,233
    last night was Crazy Sports Night

Gruden News, Ravens Comeback, Giants/Dodgers was great

Ben Simmons realizing lots of $$ aint so bad ( fool)
  • Options
    Mark Davis LOVES Gruden, hence the contract and let him pick his own GM.

They were just starting to move in the right direction too.

Oh well.

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,748

They have to be thrilled to be out of it.  They don't have as much money as you'd think....the rumor was they traded Khalil Mack to the Bears a in 2018 because they literally didn't have the money on hand to pay the type of signing bonus he was looking for with his new contract.  And they got a shitload of public money to help pay for that new stadium.
  • Options
    I'm not worrying just yet but The Chiefs and Mahomes look like shit.

• Options
    I'm not worrying just yet but The Chiefs and Mahomes look like shit.

Pat's pressing because the defense is hot garbage and Steve Spagnuolo keeps playing "trusted veterans" over younger and more athletic guys.  For example, Dan Sorensen over Juan Thornhill.  There needs to be a lot of change on the defensive side of the ball.

• Options
    Someone needs to step up besides Hill and Kelce. Looking at you, Hardman. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Hardman is what he is and you can't expect more than this from him.  Reid and Bienemy need to figure out how to combat the Cover 2 and 3 coverages that prevents them from taking the lid off of a defense. 

• Options
    Hardman is what he is and you can't expect more than this from him.  Reid and Bienemy need to figure out how to combat the Cover 2 and 3 coverages that prevents them from taking the lid off of a defense. 

Dude is only in his third season. He could totally improve and you should expect more from him. Or at least hope for more from him. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Dude is only in his third season. He could totally improve and you should expect more from him. Or at least hope for more from him. 
    I wish there was more to him.  Believe me, Chief fans were hoping he would take the role Sammy Watkins vacated.  He passed on working with Mahomes in the offseason, in non-voluntary workouts and route running.  Mecole is a big play threat, but not a guy who you can count on to be reliable for 6-10 targets a game.  It's too often him and Mahomes are not on the same page.

• Options

I wish there was more to him.  Believe me, Chief fans were hoping he would take the role Sammy Watkins vacated.  He passed on working with Mahomes in the offseason, in non-voluntary workouts and route running.  Mecole is a big play threat, but not a guy who you can count on to be reliable for 6-10 targets a game.  It's too often him and Mahomes are not on the same page.

Well he's on my fantasy bench so hopefully he can pull off at least one good game when Mike Williams is on bye. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Shout out to the Bills and @MayDay10.  Buffalo has built themselves one hell of a football team and are distancing themselves from my Chiefs and the rest of the AFC.
    Thanks.  I really like where they are.  Similar to the Chiefs of 3 and 2 years ago where they were like a machine.  They have most of their young core signed for the medium term, so the team will likely have a decent window.  It does seem like Allen will be a guy who can keep them relevant for a long time, even when the cast changes.

Its nice though, coming from nearly 2 decades of not being relevant to this.  
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Keyshawn Johnson call Gruden “a fraud and used call salesman.” 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    Not defending Gruden here but if he was a musician and used those words he could be on this years Super Bowl halftime show.

On another note I was wrong about Lamar Jackson. I thought he’d be a one or two year wonder and regress.  Lot of people have been wrong about him.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,646
    edited October 2021
    ….
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    edited October 2021
    pjhawks said:
    Not defending Gruden here but if he was a musician and used those words he could be on this years Super Bowl halftime show.

On another note I was wrong about Lamar Jackson. I thought he’d be a one or two year wonder and regress.  Lot of people have been wrong about him.
    That was one of the greatest one-game performances ever. Apparently the first ever 400-yard game with an 85% completion percentage. And Baltimore is pretty banged up. Even given the importance of QBs it's too much of a team game for one guy to carry a team very often...but he did on Monday.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin