Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    I’d rather have cash but at least they kinda blew it out for the dude. Heard he wanted a round of golf with Brady.

Bucs are giving Byron Kennedy the following for the No. 600 TD football: Two signed jerseys and a helmet from Tom Brady, a signed Mike Evans  jersey & his game cleats, a $1K credit at our team store, and two season passes for the remainder of this season as well as next season.
    And you're not a dick, to boot.  Seems like he did okay
    But of course he'll have to pay taxes on the stuff.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    No team with a franchise QB - one that has won a Super Bowl and an MVP - doesn't sign and/or extend and/or take up the largest portion of their salaries. How is this even a conversation? The team doesn't suffer. The team benefits from having a top-3/5 QB, which is rightly paid as such as it's the most important position in the game. They already benefitted by getting a "discount" by winning a SB, and going to an additional SB, while on his rookie deal. Seriously, what are we even talking about here?
    The team is doing great now aren't they?

Of course you sign your QB long term.  It's your plan after that really matters.

What we are talking about that none of you see is the part of the GM that screwed up.  You can have the greatest QB in the world but without the pieces around him that means squat.  That is exactly what is happening now.

I also mentioned that the SB's were on his rookie deal and now that he is paid unless management  is smarter w their money the team is going nowhere.
  • Options
    Starting QBs come at a premium once they are off of their rookie contract.  I guess if you wanted to avoid paying out that amount of money to a QB, you can just keep drafting one every 4 years and bank on them being good enough in years 2-4 to get you to be a championship contender.  Good luck to that strategy.
    Aaaaand nobody said this... Well maybe the Jets, but that's another story.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,503
    BTW, I agree fully on paying Patrick Mahomes.
    The game last night showed exactly what happens when you pay money to a crappy QB and expect him to play well. 
    If Mahomes is on 49ers they win that game comfortably.  Instead they allowed Price fucking Harry to heave up shitty deep passes to draw idiotic PI penalties and could not move the ball on offense, themselves.

Straight trash, homie.
    Don't even get me started on the 49ers. Their insistence on signing Brian Hoyer when Kyle was hired has caused a snow ball effect of screwing up this team. Because they had Hoyer, they didn't address getting a starting caliber QB in the draft and instead picked up a truly horrible one in CJ Beathard. Because neither of them were any good, they traded for Jimmy, which I thought was a good idea, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and doesn't seem to have developed into the QB we need. Because they had Jimmy, they ignored the QB position in the draft, until they couldn't any longer and then gave up a bunch of picks for Trey. It might work out, but I think everything can be traced to the decision to sign Hoyer.    
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,779
    "Oh and Mahomes got paid and the rest of the team is going to suffer."

"When the bulk of the cap goes to him yes the rest of the team suffers. When he was cheap they had a hell of a defense and an O line. Those days are gone now.

Yes Mahomes does not trust his players. it is a shame because he is a generational player and hope he bounces back like the greats do."

No where in here do you elude to the nuance of who the GM is, nor whatever else you're trying to say in typed words.

Football is the easiest of the major sports to overhaul a roster. They'll be fine.
  • Options
    The Broncos would like a word with the other teams about QB's...

Since Manning it has been a disaster...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited October 2021
    Brady just gave the guy a Bitcoin so that’s a nice start. 

I’d still rather have 500k but like you guys said it’s a tough spot reputation wise :lol:
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options

I’d still rather have 500k but like you guys said it’s a tough spot reputation wise :lol:
    Reputation?  What reputation?  Take the money.  No one is going to remember this after a few weeks.  What was the guys name that caught the Bonds ball?  McGwire ball?  Jeter 3000 hit/HR ball?

No one will give a shit...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

Reputation?  What reputation?  Take the money.  No one is going to remember this after a few weeks.  What was the guys name that caught the Bonds ball?  McGwire ball?  Jeter 3000 hit/HR ball?

Is Tom Brady's 600th TD really worth a half million?  Unsigned?  I don't believe that.  Is the sports market that out of whack?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Is Tom Brady's 600th TD really worth a half million?  Unsigned?  I don't believe that.  Is the sports market that out of whack?
    1 million something for the McGwire ball.

If you have a historical significance or milestone attached to an item whether it be game worn or used the value increases exponentially.

Brady will go down as the best QB so that ball is cheap at 500K.
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    edited October 2021
    mrussel1 said:

I think they are basing it off of Brady's 1st TD ball going for $450k. People will pay absurd amounts of money for sports memorabilia. 
    Seems the Bucs heard all the talk and came back and gave him more.  
    Post edited by Jumb0 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

If you have a historical significance or milestone attached to an item whether it be game worn or used the value increases exponentially.

I guess I don't see football records in the same light as baseball.  Baseball is such a stat driven sport and has such a long history, that those numbers are forever ingrained; Williams hitting .400, 56 game hit streak, 63 home runs, etc.  Football stats never seemed nearly as historical.  Think of the build up every night when McGwire was chasing, or Bonds.  It was the sports headline.  Evans didn't have any idea about 600. I didn't either. 
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502

Yes!  That' why you don't let a QB like Mahomes in his prime go for the next 10 years!!

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options

Yes!  That' why you don't let a QB like Mahomes in his prime go for the next 10 years!!

Again... No one ever said to let him go.  No where was that said.  Read my response.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I guess I don't see football records in the same light as baseball.  Baseball is such a stat driven sport and has such a long history, that those numbers are forever ingrained; Williams hitting .400, 56 game hit streak, 63 home runs, etc.  Football stats never seemed nearly as historical.  Think of the build up every night when McGwire was chasing, or Bonds.  It was the sports headline.  Evans didn't have any idea about 600. I didn't either. 
    Williams hit 406, 60 and 61 are Ruth and Maris' HR total.  i think Sosa hit 63 his 2nd year after doing 66.

But yes I understand that.  Baseball is all numbers.  Football and 600 though?  That's an easy one.
  • Options

Haha, he's arguing against his own point.
  • Options

Haha, he's arguing against his own point.
    How so?

I'm wondering of people read everything on here or just pick the older points so they look smart?
  • Options
    I'll say this.  The window for Mahomes and the Chiefs is now closed until the GM does some internal fixes.
  • Options
    I've read your response(s) multiple times, nothing said about GMs. Just that Mahomes has screwed the team. Not trying to look smart, and are older posts considered old when they're from a day ago?
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    Geno Smith has a gig and Kaepernick does not.

Ridiculous.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:

I would also think you’d need a letter of authenticity from Tampa and the NFL…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    edited October 2021
    No team with a franchise QB - one that has won a Super Bowl and an MVP - doesn't sign and/or extend and/or take up the largest portion of their salaries. How is this even a conversation? The team doesn't suffer. The team benefits from having a top-3/5 QB, which is rightly paid as such as it's the most important position in the game. They already benefitted by getting a "discount" by winning a SB, and going to an additional SB, while on his rookie deal. Seriously, what are we even talking about here?

Of course you sign your QB long term.  It's your plan after that really matters.

What we are talking about that none of you see is the part of the GM that screwed up.  You can have the greatest QB in the world but without the pieces around him that means squat.  That is exactly what is happening now.

I also mentioned that the SB's were on his rookie deal and now that he is paid unless management  is smarter w their money the team is going nowhere.
    Highlighted it for you.

EDIT: It was at 735 this morning...
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    Yes, I saw you walk back what you meant from yesterday to this morning.
  • Options
    Yes, I saw you walk back what you meant from yesterday to this morning.
    No, just explaining my point further since people were putting words in my mouth hence the GM comment, and that you said I didn't make and then said I'm "walking back".

Never did I say it was a mistake to sign him.  Him getting paid made the rest of the team suffer.  Yes, that is what is going on and I blame the GM for it.

Moving on now...  The window for Mahomes and the SB are done for a few years now.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Wobbie said:

Ridiculous.
    Those racist owners....
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Poncier said:
    Wobbie said:

Ridiculous.
    Those racist owners....
    It's all because Trump decided to use him as a wedge to divide us even further apart. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'll say this.  The window for Mahomes and the Chiefs is now closed until the GM does some internal fixes.
    I won't disagree with you there.  So what is your point then on Mahomes contract? 

• Options

Highlighted it for you.

What would you have done if you were the GM and Mahomes contract needed to be extended then?

• Options
    I won't disagree with you there.  So what is your point then on Mahomes contract? 

Highlighted it for you.

What would you have done if you were the GM and Mahomes contract needed to be extended then?

Mahomes needed to get paid.  I agree.  What screwed the team was how the GM used the rest of the cap.  That was my problem.

You can't keep everybody but certain pieces they did hold and didn't spend wisely on the rest.  The O-line isn't panning out and the defense is anemic.

It's a shame too.  I was very much enjoying the numbers Mahomes was putting up.
  • Options

Highlighted it for you.

Mahomes needed to get paid.  I agree.  What screwed the team was how the GM used the rest of the cap.  That was my problem.

You can't keep everybody but certain pieces they did hold and didn't spend wisely on the rest.  The O-line isn't panning out and the defense is anemic.

It's a shame too.  I was very much enjoying the numbers Mahomes was putting up.
    I thought I read 42 posts back that Glorified KC's criticism on the salary situation was about Frank Clark.