The National Football League

Comments

• Wobbie said:
    I think that away from the I-95 corridor, no one gives a shit about this SB.

Ratings wise, I think this was the best possible outcome for the NFL
    I don't know. I think due to Patriots-fatigue, the Steelers might have made a bigger rating than New England. And as for the NFC, I think if the NFL was able to choose, they'd want the Saints over the Eagles or Vikings.

I mean really, a Browns/Lions Super Bowl would probably draw a higher rating than a Warriors/Cavs game 7. But as far as Super Bowls go, and using only the teams in this year's playoffs, I think Saints vs. Patriots/Steelers would produce the best rating

I'm not sure there is a Patriots fatigue. They're kind of like the Yankees. Most either love them or hate them. So I think more people will tune in to root against them, than will root for the Steelers. Plus Boston is a much bigger market than Pittsburgh.

And Eagles/Saints---no contest. Philadelphia is the 4th largest tv market, New Orleans is 50th...4 spots above Scranton Wilkes-Barre.

I agree with the Yankees comparison and the tune into cheer against them notion. 

I don't dispute that Philadelphia is a much larger TV market than New Orleans. But I'm talking about nationwide viewing habits. People in like fly-over states would probably gravitate towards a big star like Brees or Rodgers in a game like this.

And really......and look......I know you love the Eagles and you live in the bubble so don't get worked up about this statement.....but I think people on a national level don't give a shit about the Eagles. In terms of historical franchise relevance, they have to be a distant 4th in their division right? A win this Sunday could go a long way to changing that. But I just think Joe Schmo from Idaho, when forced to watch NFC East primetime games like we all are, would be least interested in watching the Eagles. Again, that's historically speaking because certainly the Eagles were more fun to watch than any of the other NFC East teams this year.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    edited February 2018
    Wobbie said:

I don't know. I think due to Patriots-fatigue, the Steelers might have made a bigger rating than New England. And as for the NFC, I think if the NFL was able to choose, they'd want the Saints over the Eagles or Vikings.

I mean really, a Browns/Lions Super Bowl would probably draw a higher rating than a Warriors/Cavs game 7. But as far as Super Bowls go, and using only the teams in this year's playoffs, I think Saints vs. Patriots/Steelers would produce the best rating

I'm not sure there is a Patriots fatigue. They're kind of like the Yankees. Most either love them or hate them. So I think more people will tune in to root against them, than will root for the Steelers. Plus Boston is a much bigger market than Pittsburgh.

And Eagles/Saints---no contest. Philadelphia is the 4th largest tv market, New Orleans is 50th...4 spots above Scranton Wilkes-Barre.

I agree with the Yankees comparison and the tune into cheer against them notion. 

I don't dispute that Philadelphia is a much larger TV market than New Orleans. But I'm talking about nationwide viewing habits. People in like fly-over states would probably gravitate towards a big star like Brees or Rodgers in a game like this.

And really......and look......I know you love the Eagles and you live in the bubble so don't get worked up about this statement.....but I think people on a national level don't give a shit about the Eagles. In terms of historical franchise relevance, they have to be a distant 4th in their division right? A win this Sunday could go a long way to changing that. But I just think Joe Schmo from Idaho, when forced to watch NFC East primetime games like we all are, would be least interested in watching the Eagles. Again, that's historically speaking because certainly the Eagles were more fun to watch than any of the other NFC East teams this year.

Yeah but why would someone's viewing habit in a fly over state count differently than someone on the east coast? There are more people, and thus, more televisions on the east coast. In terms of overall ratings, which is what I initially talked about, I don't think there's any doubt that a Boston vs Philadelphia super bowl would generate a higher number than Pittsburgh vs New Orleans. I actually don't think it would be close.

And I don't take offense to what you said....but the same can be said of most teams. Who cares about the Saints in Philadelphia? Who cares about the Falcons in Los Angeles? Point is, this matchup is probably the best case scenario in terms of overall tv ratings.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    edited February 2018

Also--this flies in the face of people not giving a shit about the Eagles nationwide. According to Nielsen, they're the 5th most popular team in the league

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2016/whos-americas-nfl-team-nielsens-media-exposure-rankings-detail-the-top-franchise.html

So, on top of what I mentioned earlier, this SB has two of the five most popular teams in the league going at it.

www.myspace.com
  • Wobbie said:

Yeah but why would someone's viewing habit in a fly over state count differently than someone on the east coast? There are more people, and thus, more televisions on the east coast. In terms of overall ratings, which is what I initially talked about, I don't think there's any doubt that a Boston vs Philadelphia super bowl would generate a higher number than Pittsburgh vs New Orleans. I actually don't think it would be close.

And I don't take offense to what you said....but the same can be said of most teams. Who cares about the Saints in Philadelphia? Who cares about the Falcons in Los Angeles? Point is, this matchup is probably the best case scenario in terms of overall tv ratings.

Ugh....admittedly, I guess I just personally would rather see Pittsburgh and New Orleans. This time next week I'm going to be surrounded by either the super-happy Eagles fans, or super-angry Eagles fans....and God help me either way. 

And to your "who cares about the Saints in Philly, who cares about the Falcons in LA?" point.  I guess I'm trying to refer to what gamblers call the "public" teams. The teams with real national followings: Dallas, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, San Francisco and to a lesser extent, Oakland, Washington, and Miami. Basically, teams that had a lot of success when the NFL was first becoming big on television in the 70's and 80's, and people jumped on their bandwagons.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Wobbie said:

Ugh....admittedly, I guess I just personally would rather see Pittsburgh and New Orleans. This time next week I'm going to be surrounded by either the super-happy Eagles fans, or super-angry Eagles fans....and God help me either way. 

And to your "who cares about the Saints in Philly, who cares about the Falcons in LA?" point.  I guess I'm trying to refer to what gamblers call the "public" teams. The teams with real national followings: Dallas, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, San Francisco and to a lesser extent, Oakland, Washington, and Miami. Basically, teams that had a lot of success when the NFL was first becoming big on television in the 70's and 80's, and people jumped on their bandwagons.

Look at my prior post. Eagles are 5th most popular team in the league
    www.myspace.com
  • I don't know where to find a list displaying estimated numbers of fans for teams.  Did find a few things that point to there being more national interest in the Iggles than you think there is.

http://www.nflshop.com/pages/Top_Selling_Jerseys
    https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2017/06/17/nfl-fan-base-and-brand-rankings-2017/

Conversely I don't think many people give a darn about the Aints.  Most of their history was as a joke team that hadnt won a playoff game...and then that had won a single playoff game.  Brees changed that and made everyone forget that they were so bad.
    Now...the Lions are probably the worst team in modern NFL history.  Don't they still only have 1 playoff victory in the SB era?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Wobbie said:

That's pretty shocking. I'll take your word for it.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited February 2018
    Wobbie said:

Or you can take the word of a company whose job it is to measure such things...

Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • Wobbie said:

I just meant I wasn't going to go back through the thread looking for the post you were talking about. I assumed you were citing something like this.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Wobbie said:

I just meant I wasn't going to go back through the thread looking for the post you were talking about. I assumed you were citing something like this.
    Touche 
    www.myspace.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    Bomani Jones (ESPN, juggler!) had a good line....eagles need to win so that eagles fans can quit acting like they act (tortured) and patriots fans can quit acting like they act (see: halifax2themax).
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I like Bomani Jones, dude cracks me up
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Gameday.

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    Cooks got smoked.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    Foles>Brady

He actually caught the ball lol
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Cooks got JACKED UP to say the least 
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Impressive first half.

I like the Eagles approach. The Pats look stale.

Should be a good second half.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    Gameday.

so gay.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Brady looks like a broke ass little b**** right now.
  • KC138045 said:
    Foles>Brady

Folds will never play in a super bowl at age 40.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Never mind throw a touch down pass in a preseason game at that age. Won’t even be on a roster.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • I wonder if Brady will kiss his son on the mouth if Pats win. That kiss video has made big news here in Australia.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    KC138045 said:
    Foles>Brady

Folds will never play in a super bowl at age 40
    It's called sarcasm. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • KC138045 said:
    KC138045 said:
    Foles>Brady

Folds will never play in a super bowl at age 40
    It's called sarcasm. 
    Sarcasm=sarcasm but there’s only one truth

Brilliantati©
    Going to be a buzzer beater. Will Brady pull one more out?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    Why are they talking about Nick Foles as if he's never been a starter? It's not like he's a Jeff Hostetler
    I miss igotid88
  • Why was that touchdown reviewed?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Why was that touchdown reviewed?
    Every scoring play is reviewed but there's been a lot of touchdowns overturned because it wasn't ruled a catch. A lot of controversial calls over the catch rule. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Oops