Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Pats fans also think the Myles Jack  touchdown being called back to due to the whistle is not a big deal.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Make all the excuses you want but the Pats' secondary covered their receivers and were burned more often than not. But they also weren't molesting the receivers after the 5 yards and made the big plays when they absolutely had to.
    Well, and they dirty play'd your best receiving option right out of the game. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Pats fans also think the Myles Jack  touchdown being called back to due to the whistle is not a big deal.
    That was a tough play for the officials.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Myles Jack is a jerk.  Glad they blew the whistle.
    fUCLA
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited January 2018
    the Myles Jack  touchdown being called back.
    :rofl: You mean that play where Dion Lewis could have easily been ruled down with possession. The dumbass would have spiked the football down back to NE if there was no whistle.

Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I thought that was about as well as you could / would expect Bortles to play.  He is crapola at QB.  Also a great example of stats being situational.  He had pretty good stats on the game but his play was not NFL level starting QB play.   A few steps ahead of Hoyer and Glennon.  Poo-worthy.  Truly atrocious.  Any team that signs him to be a starter is run by crazy people. 
    Eli on this team and some more consistent WR play and this is a hell of a dangerous team. 

I think their D was good but not as advertised.  Lost the final 2 games headed into the playoffs (including giving up 44 points to Jimmy Jesus and his Merry Men), squeaks one out vs Buffalo (and their atrocious Offense), wins a gunfight with Pitt (impressive victory - but not defensively) and then does a pretty good job against Team Brady but talked smack, performed late hits. and other questionable activity after many plays.

Here is the best part -- after the game, just as after the Bills game, the Kitties claimed that the other team was trying to goad them into penalties.

Dudes -- you are the ones trying to rip the ball out of every players hands well after the play is over on half the plays.  You are the guys jumping up and barking after every other play in the first half.  You are pushing people out of bounds and hand-checking on deep passes.  You helmet to helmet Team Brady's only star not named Brady.
    So happy to see Hacksonville sent packing.
    Buh-bye. 

On second thought, I hope they do bring back Bortles.  They deserve each other.
    Sore losers.
    Good analysis. I mean, they had us on the ropes in the first half but got way too conservative in the 2nd half. You're not going to beat the Pats playing don't fuck it up game. Bortles had that one great throw on the right sideline in the 1st half for 30 yards or so. Other than that, the Jacksonville coaches were horrified of the idea of Bortles throwing a football over 10-15 yards. You knew the Jags were going to have to force 2-3 turnovers to have a chance. They came close, but just couldn't do it.

The Gronk hit was clearly premeditated, the safety should have been thrown out the game, and that should be about a $100k fine. They're a bunch of unlikeable thugs, and I couldn't be happier that they're headed home to their Jacksonville ghettos while listening to their Lil Wayne and T-Pain. Happy trails. 

They'll be a decent team if they can get an Eli Manning/Joe Flacco type guy.
    Spoken like a true Masshole. #MAGA
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    The big deal/turning point in that game came with 2:30 left in the 2nd quarter with Jags driving near the Pats' 30 up 14-3. Pats call timeout, and coming out the timeout Blake Bortles gets a delay of game. They converted a 3rd and 7 for a first down but it was called back because of the penalty. Most likely would have been 17/21-3 at halftime because the Pats wouldn't have got the ball back with much time before the half ended. You pull that kind of mickey mouse crap and the Pats will always capitalize. They drove right down and made it 14-10.

Just another example of the other teams puking all over themselves when it comes down to it in the big moments. Seattle did it, Atlanta did it, Jacksonville did it, Houston earlier in the year. It's clear that you have to play 60 minutes against the Patriots and the final 5 minutes of the game have to be your best. Eagles will have to come up with the perfect gameplan, get the team ready, execute it, and play their best 5 minutes at the end. Can Doug Peterson, disciple of Andy Reid pull that off? I don't know much about the Eagles really, but the Pats' weaknesses are on tape. Their linebacking is very suspect. If Eagles are smart, they'll do a lot of playaction, crossing routes, short screens, out routes...plus pound the rock with Ajaye and Blount off tackle.

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,798
    edited January 2018
    dankind said:

Good analysis. I mean, they had us on the ropes in the first half but got way too conservative in the 2nd half. You're not going to beat the Pats playing don't fuck it up game. Bortles had that one great throw on the right sideline in the 1st half for 30 yards or so. Other than that, the Jacksonville coaches were horrified of the idea of Bortles throwing a football over 10-15 yards. You knew the Jags were going to have to force 2-3 turnovers to have a chance. They came close, but just couldn't do it.

The Gronk hit was clearly premeditated, the safety should have been thrown out the game, and that should be about a $100k fine. They're a bunch of unlikeable thugs, and I couldn't be happier that they're headed home to their Jacksonville ghettos while listening to their Lil Wayne and T-Pain. Happy trails. 

Well said - my god this is some racist ass shit right here. Like staring at a unicorn. Wow.

Just amazing.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    dankind said:

Well said - my god this is some racist ass shit right here. Like staring at a unicorn. Wow.

Just amazing.
    That's not racist. Racists use racial slurs, riot, commit hate crimes and such, i'm not a racist. I'm just passionate about my team and I tell it how it is. Jags were an extremely dirty team and there's a whole lot of people that feel the same way. Try a little foresight, you don't think the players in that locker room weren't amped up before the game about taking out a Brady or Gronk? Because I think they were.
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Central Park 15

• Options
    dankind said:

Just amazing.
    Excuse me? What do you imply by your post in the Eagles thread? Your reaction to smallestoceans' post is the exact reaction I had to your post.

I'm almost ready to talk about this shit rationally......almost.

I would definitely not want to watch this at Xfinity Live. We're 60/40 right now not taking the road trip out, but it's very very close in switching. My pops just bought a new camper and we can't find a better reason to use it. Only thing holding us back is that whole minimum $5k on a ticket thing, and I'm not going if I'm not guaranteed to go to the game. The only reasonable gamble is to wait outside the stadium until kickoff and hope for a vastly discounted ticket in the $1500 range. I don't think I can justify more than $2k, at most, on a ticket to go along with a potential loss and hungover ride from shitty Minneapolis to back home.

The parade is usually on a Tuesday because parades are two days after the winning game, barring some kind of inclement weather.

The parade in 2008 was fucking massive, and I don't think I'll have the same feeling I had for that one because that was my first (AND ONLY!) one and that'll always hold a special place, but all that said - this will be bigger than that. Football is just a bigger sport, and black people for the most part don't like baseball (with good reason), and that's just me being honest. This city will most likely self-combust and create a black hole.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315

Sorry this doesn't fit neatly into the national narrative, guys:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22198230/philadelphia-eagles-fans-donating-charity-make-bad-behavior

Eagles fans donating to Zimmer's charity to make up for bad behavior

PHILADELPHIA -- Some Philadelphians are trying to make amends for any bad hospitality Minnesota Vikings fans may have received while in town for Sunday's NFC Championship Game.

The Mike Zimmer Foundation has received about $7,000 in donations from Eagles fans since the title game, according to Corri Zimmer, who oversees the family's foundation. The Mike Zimmer Foundation, dedicated to serving youth in Minnesota, was created to honor the life of Mike's wife, Vikki Zimmer, who died in 2009.

Eagles fans are donating to charity to make up for the way Vikings fans were treated at NFC title game. Corey Perrine/Getty Images

"We are just under $7,000 as of this morning and the donations keep rolling in," she said. "They started coming in yesterday morning, sent with messages from Eagles fans apologizing for the bad apples and wanted to donate to show that they all are not like that. A lot of them also congratulated us on our season, complimented our team and said they look forward to competing against us next year."

Fans dressed is purple drew plenty of attention in the sea of green both in the raucous tailgate lot and inside Lincoln Financial Field. One video appeared to show some Vikings fans having beer cans thrown at them while walking through the parking lot. While these were isolated incidents -- footage of Minnesota fans being treated courteously by their hosts surfaced as well --- Eagles fans aren't taking any chances in the karma department heading into Super Bowl LII.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    And your point? Philly is racist as shit, and with good reason a large portion of the city - that are African Americans - do not watch baseball due to the way players have been historically treated - namely being the last NL team to have a black MLB player. EDIT: I should say that watch/care about the Phillies.

Please tell me where I'm wrong?

Inferring players are thugs, because they're black, and listen to hip hop/rap/what-have-you, is racist. A thug is someone who belongs in jail. And who always gets associated with being a "thug"? Black people, specifically people who listen to rap. And that's fucked up. 

On a related note - cities who beat Philly in being racist: Pittsburgh and Boston, by a loooooong shot.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options

Sorry this doesn't fit neatly into the national narrative, guys:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22198230/philadelphia-eagles-fans-donating-charity-make-bad-behavior

Eagles fans donating to Zimmer's charity to make up for bad behavior

PHILADELPHIA -- Some Philadelphians are trying to make amends for any bad hospitality Minnesota Vikings fans may have received while in town for Sunday's NFC Championship Game.

The Mike Zimmer Foundation has received about $7,000 in donations from Eagles fans since the title game, according to Corri Zimmer, who oversees the family's foundation. The Mike Zimmer Foundation, dedicated to serving youth in Minnesota, was created to honor the life of Mike's wife, Vikki Zimmer, who died in 2009.

Eagles fans are donating to charity to make up for the way Vikings fans were treated at NFC title game. Corey Perrine/Getty Images

"We are just under $7,000 as of this morning and the donations keep rolling in," she said. "They started coming in yesterday morning, sent with messages from Eagles fans apologizing for the bad apples and wanted to donate to show that they all are not like that. A lot of them also congratulated us on our season, complimented our team and said they look forward to competing against us next year."

Fans dressed is purple drew plenty of attention in the sea of green both in the raucous tailgate lot and inside Lincoln Financial Field. One video appeared to show some Vikings fans having beer cans thrown at them while walking through the parking lot. While these were isolated incidents -- footage of Minnesota fans being treated courteously by their hosts surfaced as well --- Eagles fans aren't taking any chances in the karma department heading into Super Bowl LII.

That's great because then you have this...
    https://nesn.com/2018/01/vikings-fans-plot-revenge-on-eagles-fans-during-super-bowl-weekend/
  • Options
    dankind said:

Just amazing.
    That's not racist. Racists use racial slurs, riot, commit hate crimes and such, i'm not a racist. I'm just passionate about my team and I tell it how it is. Jags were an extremely dirty team and there's a whole lot of people that feel the same way. Try a little foresight, you don't think the players in that locker room weren't amped up before the game about taking out a Brady or Gronk? Because I think they were.
    Thug = Black NFL player, who listens to rap, and apparently lives in a ghetto. Thug = black person (most likely an NFL football player = rap music = ghetto.

Yeah, I fucking got it, straight shooter.
  • Options
    Thug only means one thing. Use the word you really want to use.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    dankind said:

Just amazing.
    Thug = Black NFL player, who listens to rap, and apparently lives in a ghetto. Thug = black person (most likely an NFL football player = rap music = ghetto.

Massachusetts racism: If I didn't say the "N" word, then it's not racist.

I'll never forget when I first moved here and I was asking my roommate about places to go for live music. He was telling me about this one place but said that I should get a cab back home because it was a "bad neighborhood." 

And then how I watched him squirm in discomfort while he tried to answer my follow-up question: "Why is it a bad neighborhood?"
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Well this thread will get shut down now...
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    For the record I always viewed the term "thug" as a bully/asshole and never as a black person so maybe y'all are using it wrong and are the real racists?
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Just amazing.

Massachusetts racism: If I didn't say the "N" word, then it's not racist.

I'll never forget when I first moved here and I was asking my roommate about places to go for live music. He was telling me about this one place but said that I should get a cab back home because it was a "bad neighborhood." 

And then how I watched him squirm in discomfort while he tried to answer my follow-up question: "Why is it a bad neighborhood?"

A lot of people voted for Trump because he's a straight shooter who tells it like it is too.....kinda the same thing here.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    For the record I always viewed the term "thug" as a bully/asshole and never as a black person so maybe y'all are using it wrong and are the real racists?
    I don't use it at all.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    JK_Livin said:
    I don't use it at all.
    thug
    THəɡ/
    noun
    1. 1.
      a violent person, especially a criminal.
      synonyms:ruffian, hooligan, vandal, hoodlum, gangster, villain, criminal; 
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    dankind said:

Just amazing.

Don't think you're gonna find "black man" anywhere near the definition of thug in a Merriam Webster dictionary. Could be white/black/yellow/red/blue/green. You might want to look up Barry Church's long resumee of illegal hits
    and fines. I understand that everything is so pussified nowadays, but c'mon. 

Moving on...
    Central Park 15

• Options
    dankind said:

Just amazing.

Don't think you're gonna find "black man" anywhere near the definition of thug in a Merriam Webster dictionary. Could be white/black/yellow/red/blue/green. You might want to look up Barry Church's long resumee of illegal hits

Moving on...

Your post speaks for itself.

Go Birds.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Y'all claiming M-W (a fixed reference I utilize every working hour of every working day as an editor, btw) as your defense regarding the word "thug" are either willfully ignorant or have just been revived from a coma after several years. 

Welome to 2018: https://www.npr.org/2015/04/30/403362626/the-racially-charged-meaning-behind-the-word-thug; https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/04/thug/391682/; http://www.ebony.com/news-views/thug-is-the-new-n-word-504#axzz5587oX0Od

Anyway, this has been fun. I don't even watch NFL games.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

Just amazing.

Moving on...

Your post speaks for itself.

Go Birds.

FNA
    Go Birds!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    *Thread needs music...
    https://youtu.be/9YL1_PilDaQ
    Central Park 15

• Options
    dankind said:
    Y'all claiming M-W (a fixed reference I utilize every working hour of every working day as an editor, btw) as your defense regarding the word "thug" are either willfully ignorant or have just been revived from a coma after several years. 

Welome to 2018: https://www.npr.org/2015/04/30/403362626/the-racially-charged-meaning-behind-the-word-thug; https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/04/thug/391682/; http://www.ebony.com/news-views/thug-is-the-new-n-word-504#axzz5587oX0Od

How a term in India for a murderer came to represent an African-american in modern times is beyond me.For years Thug was a ruffian asshole, loudmouth.  I'm still trying to figure out how that term became racist...  I know what some people would like for it to mean but it really is dumb...
  • Options
    dankind said:

How a term in India for a murderer came to represent an African-american in modern times is beyond me.For years Thug was a ruffian asshole, loudmouth.  I'm still trying to figure out how that term became racist...  I know what some people would like for it to mean but it really is dumb...
    It is what it is. Language is constantly evolving with the zeitgeist. Dictionaries are generally at least a decade behind.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

It is what it is. Language is constantly evolving with the zeitgeist. Dictionaries are generally at least a decade behind.
    While we are on the subject # is a pound sign dammit!!!

Thread integrity: Go Brady bump!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    The term "thug" became racist when people continually started using it to mean "big, scary black man who probably commits crime."

As for SmallestOceans, sure, you won't find the words "black man" in the M-W definition, but what you will find in your exclamation are other words commonly used in context of racial sleights, such as "ghetto" or mentioning rappers names. Rappers who just happen to be black.

So yeah, it's a pretty racist thing to say.  Just be aware of that and move on from it.