Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124

jeffbr said:

And for those that think Brady cheated without a shadow of a doubt, do you think he would have been convicted of a crime had the same evidence been presented in court?

Criminal court? No. That standard is beyond a reasonable doubt. Civil court? Perhaps. There you only need a preponderance of evidence, and based on tweets, testimony, and the report, that bar may have been met.

I don't think this means much anyway. Kraft can pay the fine without blinking. Brady can handle a 4 game loss of income without resorting to Top Ramen. The Patriots' reputation hasn't really been impacted, because most fans outside of New England already have a negative opinion of the organization, and most fans in the New England area are sticking by their team no matter what. The Patriot's record might take a hit next season due to the Brady suspension, but they'll still win the division, and will still have a shot at getting back to the Superbowl. So at this point it is an interesting story, and some off-season buzz, but it won't really change anything.

It's not a guarantee that the pats win the division. At all. And it's not about the loss of income for Brady. At all. I'm not sure how much Twitter is used in trials, but I doubt it's credible. And the simple fact that these two equipment guys hate Brady plays another part in this. It's not like they're friends and trying to cover for him. These guys didn't like him.
    Of course they don't like him. Brady is using his power position to make an easily replaceable job position do underhanded illegal activity ... And then Tom is bitching at them when they fail to meet the illegal standards he wants.

If you are an equipment manager and one of the all-time QB instructs you to do something underhanded, do you risk your 20 year career and say no way, or comply and keep your job?

You do what any schlub does in that situation and you comply. Or you take a stand in the name of integrity and then find yourself sending in your resume at the local Home Depot when they kick your ass to the curb.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Jason P said:

jeffbr said:

And for those that think Brady cheated without a shadow of a doubt, do you think he would have been convicted of a crime had the same evidence been presented in court?

Criminal court? No. That standard is beyond a reasonable doubt. Civil court? Perhaps. There you only need a preponderance of evidence, and based on tweets, testimony, and the report, that bar may have been met.

I don't think this means much anyway. Kraft can pay the fine without blinking. Brady can handle a 4 game loss of income without resorting to Top Ramen. The Patriots' reputation hasn't really been impacted, because most fans outside of New England already have a negative opinion of the organization, and most fans in the New England area are sticking by their team no matter what. The Patriot's record might take a hit next season due to the Brady suspension, but they'll still win the division, and will still have a shot at getting back to the Superbowl. So at this point it is an interesting story, and some off-season buzz, but it won't really change anything.

It's not a guarantee that the pats win the division. At all. And it's not about the loss of income for Brady. At all. I'm not sure how much Twitter is used in trials, but I doubt it's credible. And the simple fact that these two equipment guys hate Brady plays another part in this. It's not like they're friends and trying to cover for him. These guys didn't like him.
    Of course they don't like him. Brady is using his power position to make an easily replaceable job position do underhanded illegal activity ... And then Tom is bitching at them when they fail to meet the illegal standards he wants.

If you are an equipment manager and one of the all-time QB instructs you to do something underhanded, do you risk your 20 year career and say no way, or comply and keep your job?

You do what any schlub does in that situation and you comply. Or you take a stand in the name of integrity and then find yourself sending in your resume at the local Home Depot when they kick your ass to the curb.
    I disagree. Odds are these guys are pats fans and want to see them win. If Brady throws the guys a couple hundred bucks a week for doing such illicit activities, they probably keep there mouths shut and don't say a word to Wells. But for whatever reason, they don't like him. I highly doubt it's because Tom Brady is asking them to break their moral convictions.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,135
    Being a 40 year Patriot fan the absolute worse thing about this whole nonsense is that two guys are going to or have lost their jobs for doing what they were told to do. If they were on some other team and were told to do the same they would have also. They won't be able to take care their families with the suspension or lost of this job.

I do wonder IF they will STILL get a Super Bowl ring. They should in my humble opinion. Unfortunately someone has to be the scapegoats, as usual and it's they guys at the bottom of the heep.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

Jason P said:

jeffbr said:

I disagree. Odds are these guys are pats fans and want to see them win. If Brady throws the guys a couple hundred bucks a week for doing such illicit activities, they probably keep there mouths shut and don't say a word to Wells. But for whatever reason, they don't like him. I highly doubt it's because Tom Brady is asking them to break their moral convictions.
    So you are implying they are Pats fans, working under the greatest QB of Pats history, and they don't like him? Why wouldn't they like him?

Possible reasons? They don't like the Pats (unlikely), or Tom was a dick to them? (Likely).

Why would Super Pats fans undermine their prophet?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470
    Poncier said:

MayDay10 said:

I dont see the equivalency in the Vikings/Panthers game. It was cold there. There were big heaters. I dont know. .

Oh, so when its cold, breaking rules is no big deal?
    Heating the footballs violated the rule, the league stated this. Just like having them underinflated violates the rule. The Panthers and Vikings were told by the league to stop and don't do it again. The Patriots were subjected to a 100 plus day investigation, a million dollar fine, 2 lost draft picks and a 4 game suspension for their QB.
    But the league is even handed and consistent.
    Yep. And the NFL was tipped off the night BEFORE the game but didn't give them a warning or anything...why??

Dumbest sports scandal ever.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982
    Not only that but the NFL was notified a week before the game or after the first Indy game and they let them play a whole half of football in an AFC Championship game no less, knowing the Patriots might have altered the balls. I see Irsay's bitter, bitter hands all over this. And why only 4 of Indy's balls get checked at halftime and not all 12? What were they hiding?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Not only that but the NFL was notified a week before the game or after the first Indy game and they let them play a whole half of football in an AFC Championship game no less, knowing the Patriots might have altered the balls. I see Irsay's bitter, bitter hands all over this. And why only 4 of Indy's balls get checked at halftime and not all 12? What were they hiding?

nfl caved to pressure from the media. plain and simple.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    edited May 2015

yes it's the media fault the Patriots are cheaters. jeezus

the Patriots themselves could have ended this the day after it came up after the AFC Championship but their smugness and arrogance wouldn't allow that. they reap what they have sown.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    pjhawks said:

the Patriots themselves could have ended this the day after it came up after the AFC Championship but their smugness and arrogance wouldn't allow that. they reap what they have sown.
    yeah, maybe. but it's the dumbest rule to begin with. such a minor infraction, yet the media drove the nfl to this ridiculous ruling. the outrage by people is just hilarious to me....
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

jeffbr said:

So you are implying they are Pats fans, working under the greatest QB of Pats history, and they don't like him? Why wouldn't they like him?

Possible reasons? They don't like the Pats (unlikely), or Tom was a dick to them? (Likely).

Why would Super Pats fans undermine their prophet?
    Just a guess that they are patriot fans. I have no clue why they don't like Brady. Probably because he was a dick to them. I have no clue what you mean by super pats fans undermining their prophet. I've said from the beginning that these guys didn't like Brady.

My point is that if these guys liked Brady at all, they wouldn't have said anything to Wells.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996
    pjhawks said:

In your mind, how could the Patriots have ended this the day after the AFC Championship? What could they have done?After the supposed "cheating" had occurred, after the investigation had been leaked to Bob Kravitz, and hours before the incorrect but incredibly damaging leak to Mortensen about 11 of 12 balls, what actions could the organization have taken? What would have changed? This is an honest question

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

yeah, maybe. but it's the dumbest rule to begin with. such a minor infraction, yet the media drove the nfl to this ridiculous ruling. the outrage by people is just hilarious to me....

Absolutely a dumb rule and absolutely one that has never been treated as a big deal until now. There's a reason why it hasn't been changed in decades and is supposed to carry a $25,000 fine. The league blew this up into a huge deal in order to go after the Patriots. When the Patriots "didn't fully comply" with the charade, they used that refusal as a justification for extreme punishment.

We see this kind of thing in politics all the time. One side trumps up a charge and pretends to be outraged so that it can go after the other. Investigations and hearings become weapons, not tools to help uncover any kind of "truth". Much like the situation here, what might be true is far less important than what will do the most damage to your enemy. That isn't how the league office should be treating a member club.

I'm not outraged by these two guys launching a knuckleheaded scheme to deflate balls anymore than I am by the crowd noise in Atlanta or text messages in Cleveland. Honestly, I think the stickum on the towel is the biggest recent deal.

But if Brady did do it? Did tell these guys to deflate the footballs after the refs checked them? Lied to Bob Kraft about it? Then I can understand the outrage. I will be outraged too if that is ever proven and/or Brady admits to it. Because that is some shady shit.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    JimmyV said:

Absolutely a dumb rule and absolutely one that has never been treated as a big deal until now. There's a reason why it hasn't been changed in decades and is supposed to carry a $25,000 fine. The league blew this up into a huge deal in order to go after the Patriots. When the Patriots "didn't fully comply" with the charade, they used that refusal as a justification for extreme punishment.

We see this kind of thing in politics all the time. One side trumps up a charge and pretends to be outraged so that it can go after the other. Investigations and hearings become weapons, not tools to help uncover any kind of "truth". Much like the situation here, what might be true is far less important than what will do the most damage to your enemy. That isn't how the league office should be treating a member club.

I'm not outraged by these two guys launching a knuckleheaded scheme to deflate balls anymore than I am by the crowd noise in Atlanta or text messages in Cleveland. Honestly, I think the stickum on the towel is the biggest recent deal.

But if Brady did do it? Did tell these guys to deflate the footballs after the refs checked them? Lied to Bob Kraft about it? Then I can understand the outrage. I will be outraged too if that is ever proven and/or Brady admits to it. Because that is some shady shit.

really dude? come on do you think Brady gave the guy stuff because he is a nice guy? you can't possibly believe that Brady and Bellichick didn't know this was occurring. Do you really think these 2 schmucks deflated the football themselves for just shits and giggles? sorry but that's absurd
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

In your mind, how could the Patriots have ended this the day after the AFC Championship? What could they have done?After the supposed "cheating" had occurred, after the investigation had been leaked to Bob Kravitz, and hours before the incorrect but incredibly damaging leak to Mortensen about 11 of 12 balls, what actions could the organization have taken? What would have changed? This is an honest question

when the story broke all they had to do was release a statement saying 'our equipment guy let some air out of the footballs but went over the required levels. we did not realize the footballs were under inflated when the game began and will take steps to ensure it doesn't occur again"

that's all they had to say and no one would have given 2 shits about it a day later. no they had to act all smug 'not us' 'i don't know anything about it' 'we conducted our own tests and we conclude it was atmospheric' and all the other bullshit. their smugness and denials and accusations towards the NFL has caused this to go on. again they reap what they have sown.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I love the ill-informed people that compare this to the Ray Rice case. Unfortunately the NFL had no precident for DV cases when they suspended Rice and have since put a better policy in place.

Just because these guys text "Fuck Tom" doesn't mean they don't like him. I text and say stuff like that all the time to an about my friends.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

I love the ill-informed people that compare this to the Ray Rice case. Unfortunately the NFL had no precident for DV cases when they suspended Rice and have since put a better policy in place.

Just because these guys text "Fuck Tom" doesn't mean they don't like him. I text and say stuff like that all the time to an about my friends.

Then why turn your phone over to Wells? I could see why they would if it was patriot provided phone. But if it was my personal phone, I'd tell that guy to fuck off. Unless I didn't like somebody and wanted to get them in trouble.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    edited May 2015
    JK_Livin said:

So because they didn't have a policy on domestic violence, it was okay that he only got a 2 game suspension? Give me a fuckin break! It's against the god damn law and it's just wrong, plain and simple. The NFL shouldn't *need* a precedent in order to justify suspensions for cold-clocking your wife, or any person for that matter.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,625
    the NFL botched the Ray Rice thing. They paid for it... and as far as I know, he ended up with an indefinite suspension that he won an appeal on down the road. Because the NFL botched it, doesn't mean that they need to continue poor decisions based on that.

Also, if you don't think Brady knew about these 2 guys' actions, then I guess there is no common ground here.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Your reading between lines that aren't there and that's not ok either. Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say I agreed with it. They made a huge mistake with Rice and everyone after is now paying the price for the NFL's leniancy with him. Whether you believe Goodell or not, their basis for the suspension was because they didn't see the video yet and Rice's fiance begged and pleaded for him.
    You should be more upset with the local police than the NFL for the Rice debacle.
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    JK_Livin said:

Fuck JK_Livin

Just kidding! :hang_loose:

I wish it would all go away. The NFL is arbitrary and whacky in their punishments. The Pats pushed the envelope (called cheating by many others, understandably) and go caught. Spanking received. Let us please just turn the page.

How about the annoying worship that is going on for Odell Beckham Jr. and his excellent 3/4 of a rookie season. I wont root against the kid just because everyone is fawning over him (not his doing, he is just balling) but I have had a number of conversations in the offseason with people telling me he is the best WR in the NFL right now.
    You need to do it for longer for me to pass Megatron, Brown, Bryant, Thomas, Jones, and others.
    Does this kid look primed for this type of leap? Yes.
    Did he make one of the greatest catches in regular season? Yes.
    Does that make him the next Jerry Rice? Pump the breaks there people!

(Maybe I just talk football with idiots.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    haha ODB does look good and is pefect for Eli's chuck it up without looking wile ducking throws.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    JK_Livin said:

haha ODB does look good and is pefect for Eli's chuck it up without looking wile ducking throws.

Nice, now I am going to call him Ol Dirty Bastard!

• Options

JK_Livin said:

I think ODB is better than OBJ.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

I think ODB is better than OBJ.
    Plus, I cant post the picture here for OBJ or I will be banned. :whistle:
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Irvin says he is leaving sehawks for falcons next offseason. I know these guys have places they want to go and all but should he really be declaring it publicly where he will sign a season early. If I was the seachickens I would cut his ass for that.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,375

Does that make him the next Jerry Rice? Pump the breaks there people!

Stick'um would make him the next Jerry Rice.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    wah wah wah
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

really dude? come on do you think Brady gave the guy stuff because he is a nice guy? you can't possibly believe that Brady and Bellichick didn't know this was occurring. Do you really think these 2 schmucks deflated the football themselves for just shits and giggles? sorry but that's absurd
    Absurd? Brady giving memorabilia - memorabilia that he creates every time he puts on a jersey or touches a football - to these guys is not abnormal at all. Routine, not abnormal. There are plenty of things to question Brady about in the report, but Wells focusing on this point is a stretch. It isn't absurd at all. It's like reading about a scandal involving Pearl Jam and being shocked that Eddie gave somebody a signed setlist. It makes no sense.

And, again, Belichick was completely exonerated of having any knowledge or involvement in this.

Post edited by JimmyV on

• Options
    JimmyV said:

again, Belichick was completely exonerated of having any knowledge or involvement in this.

That's because he is too smart to get caught with his hand in the cookie jar twice. I'm sure he knew. That's why he threw Brady under the bus at that press conference.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,625
    lol.

From the Patriots' long, drawn out, lawyer's report/response

"Further, when they sought their additional interview with Mr. McNally, they never candidly said they had overlooked this text and therefore wanted Mr. McNally back for another interview to ask him about it. They never asked Mr. Jastremski about it in his interview. Had they done so, they would have learned from either gentleman one of the ways they used the deflation/deflator term. Mr. Jastremski would sometimes work out and bulk up — he is a slender guy and his goal was to get to 200 pounds. Mr. McNally is a big fellow and had the opposite goal: to lose weight. “Deflate” was a term they used to refer to losing weight"

Travis Yost @travisyost · 1h 1 hour ago
    Most amusing is how the Patriots suspended a guy for trying to lose weight. Tough business over there.