The National Football League

Comments

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    MayDay10 wrote: »
    he also said he knows nothing about ball pressure.... but also went on to say that he manipulates it for practice and tries to make it harder on his players.... which seems like a contradiction.

Not what he said:

After his brief initial remarks to open the presser. Belichick went into great detail about how footballs are dealt with in Patriots practices.

"Let me just say that my personal coaching philosophy and my mentality has always been to been to make things as difficult as possible for players in practice," Belichick said. "So with regard to footballs, I'm sure that any current or past player of mine will tell you that the balls we practice with are as bad as they can be. Wet. Sticky. Cold. Slippery. However bad we can make 'em, I make 'em.

"And any time players complain about the quality of the footballs, I make them worse. And that stops the complaint. So we never use the condition of the footballs as an excuse. We play with whatever, or kick with whatever we have to use and that’s the way it is. That has never been a priority for me and I want the players to deal with a harder situation in practice than they’ll ever have to deal with in the game and maybe that’s part of our whole ball security philosophy. I’m trying to coach the team and that’s what I want to do... I really can't think of anything I would have done differently based on what I knew then, based on what I know now. I told you the one change we did make in the initial start level of football pressure, but that's really about it. It's unfortunate that this is a story coming off two great playoff victories by our football team and our players."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2015/01/bill_belichick_on_deflategate.html?p1=feature_pri_hp#comments

Also, I've heard that the balls are under the NFL's purview from the 2:15 minutes to game time, when inspected until 2 minutes to game time when they're turned over to the ball boy personnel (don't know if this is true). Who or how do 11 of 12 balls get deflated in 2 minutes on a sideline with a ton of activity, security and cameras, network and NFL cameras? Until the "how" gets answered, if it can be, everything is conjecture, speculation and in my mind, a contrived controversy because the big, bad Bill Belichick and the Patriots are once again going to the Super Bowl. Follow the money.

As a Patriots fan I'm disappointed and angry and will be pissed if this drags out and is inconclusive and/or if the Patriots are found to have deliberately deflated the balls. The NFL needs to get their quality control shit together.

That last paragraph sounds like you are blaming the NFL for the patriots doing something they shouldn't be doing. Is that what you mean? I agree that the nfl needs to tighten up, but it's jot their fault people on the patriots are deflating balls.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,664
    come on. This guy is touted as a football genius and a control freak. He says that he adjusts the ball conditions during practice, yet he hasn't figured out that the amount of air in a ball is a major variable? Never heard of that? My 22 month old son has that figured those physics out. It just comes across as more lies and not genuine.

Its important that they distance Belichick from this because it implicates the entire "Patriots way".
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,365
    edited January 2015
    I know everything until there's a problem then I know nothing and pass the buck. I'm Bill and Tom came up with a great story.

Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,168
    edited January 2015
    come on. This guy is touted as a football genius and a control freak. He says that he adjusts the ball conditions during practice, yet he hasn't figured out that the amount of air in a ball is a major variable? Never heard of that? My 22 month old son has that figured those physics out. It just comes across as more lies and not genuine.

Its important that they distance Belichick from this because it implicates the entire "Patriots way".

You know you must be right since your son has figured out the physics. BB Must be the mastermind of ALL of this DEFLATEGATE, so what would be your punishment for this repeat offender team the Patriots? Oh don't forget the time they drove a sweeper on the field to move snow that helped them kick a field goal to beat the Dolphins in '82 I believe. That must have been cheating too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAwOLaZUh-k
    Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    g under p wrote: »

You know you must be right since your son has figured out the physics. BB Must be the mastermind of ALL of this DEFLATEGATE, so what would be your punishment for this repeat offender team the Patriots? Oh don't forget the time they drove a sweeper on the field to move snow that helped them kick a field goal to beat the Dolphins in '82 I believe. That must have been cheating too.

Peace
    Do we have any evidence that supports that a young Bill Belichick wasn't the driver of the sweeper? Does he have an alibi for where he was on December 12, 1982???

hmmmm ....

snow-plow-game.jpg
  • MayDay10 wrote: »
    he also said he knows nothing about ball pressure.... but also went on to say that he manipulates it for practice and tries to make it harder on his players.... which seems like a contradiction.

No, I was pointing out that what you claimed Belichick said, "that he manipulates "it", by which I took that you meant ball pressure, when he didn't say that. The who and when part of this hasn't been addressed yet. If this were a court of law, rather than public opinion, it would be thrown out for lack of evidence. All you have is an allegation of balls being under weight. According to who? What were the weights or pressure pre-game/post game? How did it happen? Who is responsible? Do other teams do it? Over inflate/underinflate? Does the NFL have a baseline? Do they keep records? Should they weigh each teams' footballs after the game and keep those records, noting inside room temperature and game time temperature after each quarter? Did anyone check Seattle's footballs? How about GB's? Indy's? Why is the NFL dragging its feet on releasing their findings? The NFL would never circle the wagons to protect the refs, nah. No business interest there. Or conflict of interest in the NFL investigating the NFL.

I have a problem with the opposing team being the catalyst for the investigation and the ambiguity in the rule book/procedures for keeping everyone honest. Did the NFL do anything after the Colts complained after the Patriots defeated them in Indy? If not, why? Were the Patriots put on notice?And I think Tom Brady will have the most insight to his preferences and what role, if any, he played in deflategate. We'll know more at 3:15 when he addresses the issue at a press conference. Just like if anyone bothered to check Aaron Rodgers' footballs after a game, they may have found them to be overinflated. Jim Kelley and the Bills never cheated in any game or in anyway to get to 4 Super Bowls? Yea right. Maybe losing four in a row takes the scrutiny away? Or maybe the NFL was more of a "gentlemen's club" back then where everyone was trying to gain an edge and you didn't complain about it?

As a Patriots fan I'm disappointed in the way the NFL operates and if its true that the somewhere, somehow someone on the Patriots team or within the organization purposely deflated the footballs, I'll be disappointed and angry at the Patriots as well. Part of me thinks these types of issues should be treated as a criminal investigation due to the NFL's anti-trust status and the $3 billion a year business that it is. I wonder what it costs a team to not win the Conference championship and go to a Super Bowl? Still, in my mind, as twisted and biased as it is, a contrived controversy to as GP put it, guarantee the Patriots don't win the Super Bowl.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,168
    Jason P wrote: »
    g under p wrote: »

Peace
    Do we have any evidence that supports that a young Bill Belichick wasn't the driver of the sweeper? Does he have an alibi for where he was on December 12, 1982???

hmmmm ....

snow-plow-game.jpg

Nah, that driver was a Wapole parolee and that sweeper is in the Patriot museum @ Gillette Stadium.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

edited January 2015
    It seems to me like this is where its going:

Belichick completely plays ignorant and says all of that is up to the QB.

Brady will say he prefers to push the limit to 12.5 just as Rodgers the 13.5. It is completely between him and the equipment guy and nobody else (he already "addressed" his team today and let them know how he prefers his balls, as if every single offensive player doesnt know)
    The rest he has no idea what has happened. This will isolate the issue.

Then the NFL report will follow late today after Brady talks or tomorrow, before the weekend and say there isnt much evidence, maybe partially blame the testing procedure which will be immediately fixed and probably a screw up solely on the equipment guy. Will also deflect some to the weather. Belichick is clean, brady comes out clean, cant question the pats anymore, and the Superbowl will be on as originally hyped.

Post edited by MayDay10 on
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12210256/marshawn-lynch-seattle-seahawks-fined-obscene-gesture

The NFL has fined Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch $20,000 for the obscene gesture he made after scoring a touchdown in Sunday's NFC Championship Game, according to an NFL official.

The league did not specify what the gesture was in the win over Green Bay, but Lynch grabbed his crotch after scoring a go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter. Lynch was fined $11,000 for a similar gesture in Seattle's win over Arizona on Dec. 21.

It could be just the start of what may be a costly Super Bowl week for Lynch.

An NFL official said the league is considering fining Lynch "significantly more" than the $50,000 it has fined him in each of the past two seasons for not speaking to the media, something Lynch again declined to do postgame Sunday.

This is another issue that threatens to hang over Super Bowl week, with Lynch being required to speak to the media Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

An NFL official said there would be increasing fines for each session Lynch misses, with each fine being more than the two $50,000 fines already imposed and the upcoming fine that is expected soon.

As of now, the NFL and the Seahawks are in discussions about the best way to handle Lynch.

At last January's Super Bowl media day in New Jersey, Lynch spent the session behind a barrier talking with teammates, autographing a football a young fan threw to him, and speaking only to NFL Network's Deion Sanders and to Armed Forces Radio. He ignored many other questions asked from a distance by reporters, and also left for a short while before returning.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,365
    Troy Aikman: Patriots punishment should exceed Saints bounty punishment

Posted by Josh Alper on January 22, 2015, 3:12 PM EST
    Super Bowl XLVIII FOX Sports Media Availabilty
    Getty Images
    Former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman has weighed in on Deflategate and he thinks that the Patriots should be in for a harsh punishment from the NFL.

Aikman made an appearance on Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket on Thursday and said he believed that it is “obvious” quarterback Tom Brady was involved in deflating the footballs. He also referenced Commissioner Roger Goodell’s punishment of the Saints for running a bounty program that rewarded players for hurting opponents when explaining why he believed the Patriots needed more than the “slap on the wrist” Aikman feels they got for videotaping their opponents’ sideline in 2007.

“This whole comment by Roger Goodell based on the Saints when Sean Payton got suspended for the year, and he says ‘ignorance is no excuse,’ that’s going to come back to haunt him again,” Aikman said, via the Dallas Morning News. “That haunted him during the whole Ray Rice situation with he, himself, and now it’s going to haunt Roger Goodell in terms of what the punishment is for the New England Patriots and Bill Belichick. If ignorance is no excuse, and it wasn’t for Sean Payton. …[The Saints] did not give themselves a competitive advantage. Now twice, under Bill Belichick and possibly a third time, they’ve cheated and given themselves an advantage. To me, the punishment for the Patriots and/or Bill Belichick has to be more severe than what the punishment was for the New Orleans Saints.”

Payton was suspended for the entire 2012 season by the league as a result of their bounty findings, General Manager Mickey Loomis was suspended eight games, assistant coach Joe Vitt was suspended six games, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely, the team was fined $500,000 and the Saints were stripped of second-round picks in 2012 and 2013.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,594
    Troy seems a bit vindictive for no apparent reason.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,694
    But Troy's right. That's why I said BB will get a year suspension.
    I miss igotid88
    no. The NFL had to hand out those suspensions and look serious because they were getting their ass sued from all directions because of head injuries.

Every decision is to "protect the shield". It is in the NFL's best interest for this to go away.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Tom Brady is so full of shit. Hilarious.
    Brady used the good old "This isn't ISIS" excuse.

No. This isn't ISIS. This is a bunch of grown adults running around in the grass with a ball that we lose our shit over and bet copious amounts of money on. Your ISIS mumbo jumbo is not working on us, Tom.

Now spill the beans!
    so ISIS did it.

Case closed. How is Sherman's arm?
    I wonder if his handlers coached him up to bring ISIS into the picture to make it seem so silly that we are arguing over a deflated ball or if he was just free styling?

Technically for his comparison to hold up, we all shouldn't give two shits about the game he is playing in a few weeks from now and he would be playing for free and he certainly wouldn't be wrapping up a press conference right now because no one would give a shit or know who Tom Brady even is.
    So the NFL hasn't interviewed Tom yet?
    I miss igotid88
    I so don't care about this. Honestly, its stupid that there is a minimum pressure. Let the qbs inflate them to whatever they want. If they want to throw a flat football, fine. It doesn't make you win games. It doesn't make a defense suck more. This is stupid.

If the nfl actually cared, there would have been suspensions by now. Nothing is going to happen so just get it over with and move on.
  • Question.

The refs handled those balls after every single play during that game.

Yet the refs noticed nothing different?

Why is that?

Maybe because this is one of the stupidest non issues in the history of sports?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Question.

The refs handled those balls after every single play during that game.

Yet the refs noticed nothing different?

Why is that?

Maybe because this is one of the stupidest non issues in the history of sports?

I am not a pats fan. I'm 100% a buffalo bills fan and I could care the fuck less about this. It's a simple rules violation. Deal with it and move the fuck on.
  • Every single kicker in the NFL alters the football before every single kickoff. Right?

They grab that fucker at each end...
    And squeeze the fuck out of it...
    So it sits on the tee a certain way...
    Right?

I know that sounds silly as fuck...
    But they are altering the ball..
    So it sits on the tee a certain way..
    Therefore giving the kicker an advantage.
    Right?
  • And actually the kicker is squeezing each end to make the ball more round....Right?

For a bigger "kicking area"

Altering the ball for his advantage.
    And actually the kicker is squeezing each end to make the ball more round....Right?

The argument to that is that they can only do that right before kick offs. They can't squeeze them like that before a field goal.
  • I get that.
    But you kick it further on kickoff, you reduce the chance of a return.

Anyways....

Tom Brady is the best QB I have seen since Joe Montana.
    I hope he goes 25-27 450 yards with 4 tds.
    And actually the kicker is squeezing each end to make the ball more round....Right?

But both teams do that. So it's not the same. Also when people say doesn't affect the outcome of a game. How do they know? Have they done studies? In baseball if one team's pitcher uses pine tar and the other's doesn't. You can't say it doesn't have at least a little effect.
    I miss igotid88
    And also a real thorough investigation could uncover more stuff that might have been done in the past.
    I miss igotid88
  • Somebody 1st investigate the refs.
    How did they not see a difference during the course of the game?

Or from what I have read...
    The 1st half anyways.
    I've done extensive studies. The results are still the same. Out of the 83,872 different possibilities that could have happened with psi's ranging from 6.2 to 16.4, the patriots won all of them. The Colts defense sucked.