The National Football League

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Jason P wrote: »
    I had a dream last night. I dreamt I was a dove flying over the sea. And then I dove into the ocean... And I swam with the dolphins. I was two animals joined as one... ...which meant ...

Good things are coming. Good things.

maxresdefault.jpg

Goddammit, Mr. Cheezle .... So much for positive thoughts. I'm bringing the hate next year! :ar!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,169
    edited January 2015
    DEFLATEGATE CONTINUES.....

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2015/01/report_patriots_may_have_deflated_footballs_for_af.html

B7xDxzGCIAIwhzk.jpg

PATRIOTS may not be allowed to play the Super Bowl as punishment. I think that would be appropriate, what do you think.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• No way the Pats don't play in the Superbowl.
    No way the Pats don't play in the Superbowl.

Or they are saying now Belichek might be suspended for the game. Whatever, why do this and what is the advantage and for how long this has been going on???

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,278
    The only thing I see is the Pats losing a draft pick. No way in hell would the NFL corporation risk any more bad news for the Super Bowl. Been a rough year....gotta go out big!
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    I'd bet that if you checked every ball in every game, you'd find balls under inflated or over inflated. It depends on what the home teams qb wants. I don't care if the balls were under inflated. It really didn't prevent the Colts defense from playing like dog shit. Those balls could have had 20 psi in them abd NE would have won by 35. Go ahead and take that 7th rounder away from NE. I'm sure they will really miss. In fact, give it to Indy. They need some help on the defense.
    edited January 2015
    Wait a minute nobody thinks this DEFLATEGATE thing is a big deal? I think it's going to be the biggest or most talked about thing going into the SB.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

g under p wrote: »
    Wait a minute nobody thinks this DEFLATEGATE thing is a big deal? I think it's going to be the biggest or most talked about thing going into the SB.

Peace
    It probably will be. That doesn't make it a big deal. There's no real punishment for the crime. Until they actually penalize these teams for cheating they will ALL continue to do it.
    I kind of blew the accusation off a deflated ball off at first. But if 11 of 12 balls were doctored, this is some serious fucking bullshit.

The fact that a defensive player who on the off chance intercepted a ball was able to tell immediately that the ball was deflated should bring some serious inspection upon Tom Brady's "ridiculous" claim. Tom Brady has been throwing a football as far back as his cognitive memory exists. To claim he couldn't tell a difference is very, very suspect.

Belichick must have been counting on that if a ball was turned over, the defensive player would be too amped up to notice or not familiar enough with handling a ball to notice.

Belichick should sleep well knowing "The Shield" is investigating this. $500k fine and maybe a draft pick or two. He knew the odds of getting caught were very slim and if caught, a slap on the wrist is all to worry about.

Just like MLB baseball in the 90's, just keep on doping. Small price to pay to gain an advantage in a championship game.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    A deflated ball sounds perfect in the rain for that short pass to Edelman used every time.

Also a good way to pound the ball with Blount with no risk of fumbling.

No Baltimore is saying the balls seemed fishy they used in their kicking game.

My issue is, why would the Pats stop there? Especially with all that came out in the spygate crap. It appears there is a systemic mode there to bend and break rules. The NFL cant/wont discipline them unless they are absolutely forced to.
  • Colts got clobbered, a tweak to the balls (that I agree with Last-12-Exit on, everyone messes with home field advantage) such as too little or too much air does not change the game like that.
    I am not a Pats apologist or fan, I just think people love to pile on and it doesn't seem to make much difference.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Colts got clobbered, a tweak to the balls (that I agree with Last-12-Exit on, everyone messes with home field advantage) such as too little or too much air does not change the game like that.
    I am not a Pats apologist or fan, I just think people love to pile on and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Colts getting clobbered makes cheating acceptable? By what margin must a loss be to make cheating non-acceptable?
    MayDay10 wrote: »
    A deflated ball sounds perfect in the rain for that short pass to Edelman used every time.

Also a good way to pound the ball with Blount with no risk of fumbling.

No Baltimore is saying the balls seemed fishy they used in their kicking game.

My issue is, why would the Pats stop there? Especially with all that came out in the spygate crap. It appears there is a systemic mode there to bend and break rules. The NFL cant/wont discipline them unless they are absolutely forced to.

There's a different set of balls used for the kicking game(ball boys with a K on their back handle them). Which is different from the sets of balls used by the teams for play on the field. Each set of those balls are in possession of the the teams used by the QBs which are checked by officials prior to the start of the game. I hope that makes sense.

Peace

• Many retired QB's have weighed in and said on a bad weather day as it was in NE the deflated ball is actually a big advantage. It allows the QB to grip better much better and makes it much easier for the receivers to catch the ball in the rain. I would suspend Belicheck from the SB. I'm sure this is done all the time in the regular season but at this point of the playoffs its different. What I want t know is how did the refs not notice. If an Indy defensive player noticed right away how did the refs miss it. They place the ball between every down. Never once did the ref think the ball felt off. I wouldn't allow him to ref playoff games again either.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • cdysinge wrote: »
    Many retired QB's have weighed in and said on a bad weather day as it was in NE the deflated ball is actually a big advantage. It allows the QB to grip better much better and makes it much easier for the receivers to catch the ball in the rain. I would suspend Belicheck from the SB. I'm sure this is done all the time in the regular season but at this point of the playoffs its different. What I want t know is how did the refs not notice. If an Indy defensive player noticed right away how did the refs miss it. They place the ball between every down. Never once did the ref think the ball felt off. I wouldn't allow him to ref playoff games again either.

Yeah, that's the most surprising part of this whole thing. Like you said, the refs are handling the ball before every play. The fact that none of them noticed is really bad.
    Jerry Rice ✔ @JerryRice
    Follow
    11 of 12 balls under-inflated can anyone spell cheating!!! #Just Saying
    11:28 PM - 20 Jan 2015

oof

didnt Shula just publicly call them the Cheatriots or something?
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    You have Brady, Gronk, Revis, Wilfork etc. Sack up and play.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    cdysinge wrote: »
    Many retired QB's have weighed in and said on a bad weather day as it was in NE the deflated ball is actually a big advantage. It allows the QB to grip better much better and makes it much easier for the receivers to catch the ball in the rain. I would suspend Belicheck from the SB. I'm sure this is done all the time in the regular season but at this point of the playoffs its different. What I want t know is how did the refs not notice. If an Indy defensive player noticed right away how did the refs miss it. They place the ball between every down. Never once did the ref think the ball felt off. I wouldn't allow him to ref playoff games again either.

Yeah, that's the most surprising part of this whole thing. Like you said, the refs are handling the ball before every play. The fact that none of them noticed is really bad.

If you take a careful look at the officials they are focused on ball placement on each play. The switching out of balls on each play so their actual handling is not really in the realm to check that could possibly tell shrinkage of the balls. I think there's more of a chance to tell of shrinkage in the kicking game but they use a completely different set of balls.

Peace

• JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    and Brady didn't know. ok
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote: »
    and Brady didn't know. ok

Know what, that there was shrinkage in the balls. He probably did, the balls can be deflated to a QBs liking as long as it's within the NFL guidelines. Some like it on the high end of the psi level, some like it on the lower end. QBs have different hand sizes and like their ball games balls set to their liking WITHIN the NFL guidelines.

A former head official just said the balls are checked and set 2 hours before the game, held there until it's given to the ball boys just prior to the start of the games. So somewhere in that process those 11 of 12 balls psi setting was changed for the game.

Peace

edited January 2015
    This "problem" can be resolved in one step. Don't let teams be responsible for game balls. The nfl can provide the balls for every game. The teams wouldn't have access to them until game time. Simple.
  • Jason P wrote: »
    Colts got clobbered, a tweak to the balls (that I agree with Last-12-Exit on, everyone messes with home field advantage) such as too little or too much air does not change the game like that.

Colts getting clobbered makes cheating acceptable? By what margin must a loss be to make cheating non-acceptable?

Yeah I can see your point and know that as a Colts fan you are going to be burned by it just as anyone would be if their team was smoked like that and then there was a controversy. I guess my larger point is that it was the same 11 balls used for both teams, right? I dont think it had an impact overall on the outcome....but I also go back to was Last-12-Exit said and I agree -- every team does this sort of BS. People think to check the Pats on it because of Spygate and because of the success they have had.
    Think about baseball and the roof being opened/closed, the length of the grass, the balls being kept in special environments, white towels being handed out to swing around when the other team was at bat....It is my opinion only....but it is my opinion that the balls were the same for both teams and if it was easier to catch the ball it was easier for everyone.
    Not condoning cheating but I think it is one of those things that teams frequently do. (Again, I fully admit this is my opinion and I do not have facts to back it up.)
    no. those balls were only used by the Pats.

"every team" does it.... yet why does this crap constantly get pinned on the Pats? Why did the Colts player think it was a big deal after touching the ball 1 time? Why does it always seem like Brady knows precisely what the defense is doing in real-time? Why do NFL legends like Don Shula and Jerry Rice feel the need to publicly call them cheaters?

"every team" does it.... yet why does this crap constantly get pinned on the Pats? Why did the Colts player think it was a big deal after touching the ball 1 time? Why does it always seem like Brady knows precisely what the defense is doing in real-time? Why do NFL legends like Don Shula and Jerry Rice feel the need to publicly call them cheaters?

I read that the Colts players didn't actually say anything. The whole thing was derived from a reporter.
  • MayDay10 wrote: »

I did not see that. I still hold that teams pull this BS all of the time but I can see why it might be perceived as an advantage than.

Regarding Brady reading the Defenses...what about the years they lost in the playoffs when they looked to have the better team? I think he is an all time great QB.
    Hey, if it turns out it comes out some day that he had tape or insider info of the opposing Defenses all of these years I will log him as an all time great Cheat.
    Until then I think he is pretty awesome.
    that is incorrect
    Jason P wrote: »

Yeah I can see your point and know that as a Colts fan you are going to be burned by it just as anyone would be if their team was smoked like that and then there was a controversy. I guess my larger point is that it was the same 11 balls used for both teams, right? I dont think it had an impact overall on the outcome....but I also go back to was Last-12-Exit said and I agree -- every team does this sort of BS. People think to check the Pats on it because of Spygate and because of the success they have had.
    Think about baseball and the roof being opened/closed, the length of the grass, the balls being kept in special environments, white towels being handed out to swing around when the other team was at bat....It is my opinion only....but it is my opinion that the balls were the same for both teams and if it was easier to catch the ball it was easier for everyone.
    Not condoning cheating but I think it is one of those things that teams frequently do. (Again, I fully admit this is my opinion and I do not have facts to back it up.)

No, both teams have their own set of balls except for the kicking game, field goals, punts and kick offs. When the Colts go on offense they use their balls, the same for the Patriots. Those balls as I said are checked by officials prior to the start of the game then given to the ball boys.

Peace

• It would not be hard for a coach to give a ball boy a pump needle so he can quickly without drawing any attention deflate them. If the NFL really cared to stop this those balls would be held under supervision on the sidelines throughout the game. I don't think they really care to stop it. The only reason this is getting attention is because it was the AFC championship and it is the cheater Pats. Had the Jags or Bucs done this we wouldn't even hear about it until there was a punishment levied and even then it would be a foot note on ESPN.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    edited January 2015

I read that the Colts players didn't actually say anything. The whole thing was derived from a reporter.

Peter King reported D'Qwell Jackson (spelling is off I'm sure and it could have been another player, cant remember exactly who it was) took the ball he picked off over to his sideline and asked it to be inspected by his own team as it felt really off to him. The Colts are the ones who complained about it and asked it to be investigated.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    I believe if it were any team who won a Conference Championship it would be a big deal. It is magnified by the Pats' history as well pushing the rules to the edge to win just a week before.