The National Football League

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,115
    edited January 2015
    From ESPN:

BREAKING: Broncos and head coach John Fox mutually agree to part ways. (via @AdamSchefter)

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    JimmyV wrote: »
    From ESPN:

BREAKING: Broncos and head coach John Fox mutually agree to part ways. (via @AdamSchefter)

That smells like Peyton may be retiring to me.
  • Yeah I can't see Peyton starting over with a new coach/team. Stick a fork in him- he's done.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    We'll see. If they promote the OC, Gase, it could be an attempt to lure Peyton back. John Elway may want to blame John Fox and try again. Otherwise he carries quite a bit of responsibility since he built the team.

Wonder if the Bills have some buyer's remorse with Fox suddenly available?

JimmyV wrote: »
    Wonder if the Bills have some buyer's remorse with Fox suddenly available?

They should.
  • Denver should hire Trestman
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    Yeah I can't see Peyton starting over with a new coach/team. Stick a fork in him- he's done.

Especially with 9 "1 & DONE" on his resume in playoff appearances. The writing is on the wall.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,415
    Petyon and the Juggler should both go out together. one has won his last tile and the other is way too concerned about why someone is a fan of certain teams. #enoughalready
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    pjhawks wrote: »
    Petyon and the Juggler should both go out together. one has won his last tile and the other is way too concerned about why someone is a fan of certain teams. #enoughalready

good one
    www.myspace.com
    ah good ole Juggler. only he could say something can't be done even after it was done. respect the stubbornness though big guy. probably doesn't think we can land a man on the moon even though we already did it :))

ous.

Sorry pal. Your dream of teams throwing the ball 80% of the time, consistently, will never, ever happen. Occasionally if the defense proves they cannot stop something, the other team should exploit it to death like the Pats did in the second half on Saturday. When you have one of the best qbs to ever play the game going up against a makeshift secondary, this becomes easier to do. Unfortunately most teams don't have one of the best qb's to ever play the game going up against that kind of a secondary, which is one of the reasons this hardly happens--case in point, every other playoff game thus far this year. Exceptions to rules, tend to happen sometimes.

Folks, keep in mind, this is a guy who wanted to throw the ball 80% of the time with one, Michael Vick under center. Completely idiotic.

ah never let the facts get in the way of a rant. never once did i say the Eagles with Michael Vick should throw the ball 80% of the time. i said my ideal offense, under today's passing rules, would throw that ball that much.

repeat ZERO rushes in a half but you have to run because the d would tee off on your quarterback haha too fucking funny

Fella, did you see any other team not run the ball once in a half yesterday, Saturday, or in any of the 4 games last week? You saw a hall of fame quarterback do that against a banged up secondary who was unable to stop him. I don't know what your point is. Do you think this is the ideal way to win football games? By not running the ball once? Go peak your head into the Patriots thread and ask them if that is a consistent recipe for success. Go ask any Cowboy fan how their newfound reliance on their running game got them to 12 wins, and a playoff win after years of an out of whack run/pass ratio netted them nothing but mediocre football.

There have been 16 halves of football played this post season. 15 of them featured mostly balanced run/pass ratios (60-40% or so). You see one that doesn't (with a hall of fame qb and a banged up secondary) and you somehow think that proves something. hahaha

And yeah, you wanted Reid to throw the ball over 40 times a game with Mike Vick. Thus, the genesis of this stupid argument that you bring up over and over again. Idiocy. This isn't arena football.

i guess i shouldn't expect the guy who a few years ago said the Pats were winning because of Steven Ridley running the football and not because they had Tom Brady as their QB to fully grasp the concept that a pass by Tom Brady is always better for the Pats and worse for the defense. always.
  • Denver let the entire staff go. Crazy. I thought Gase would have been their guy after they let Fox go.
    edited January 2015
    ah good ole Juggler. only he could say something can't be done even after it was done. respect the stubbornness though big guy. probably doesn't think we can land a man on the moon even though we already did it :))

ous.

Sorry pal. Your dream of teams throwing the ball 80% of the time, consistently, will never, ever happen. Occasionally if the defense proves they cannot stop something, the other team should exploit it to death like the Pats did in the second half on Saturday. When you have one of the best qbs to ever play the game going up against a makeshift secondary, this becomes easier to do. Unfortunately most teams don't have one of the best qb's to ever play the game going up against that kind of a secondary, which is one of the reasons this hardly happens--case in point, every other playoff game thus far this year. Exceptions to rules, tend to happen sometimes.

Folks, keep in mind, this is a guy who wanted to throw the ball 80% of the time with one, Michael Vick under center. Completely idiotic.

ah never let the facts get in the way of a rant. never once did i say the Eagles with Michael Vick should throw the ball 80% of the time. i said my ideal offense, under today's passing rules, would throw that ball that much.

repeat ZERO rushes in a half but you have to run because the d would tee off on your quarterback haha too fucking funny

Fella, did you see any other team not run the ball once in a half yesterday, Saturday, or in any of the 4 games last week? You saw a hall of fame quarterback do that against a banged up secondary who was unable to stop him. I don't know what your point is. Do you think this is the ideal way to win football games? By not running the ball once? Go peak your head into the Patriots thread and ask them if that is a consistent recipe for success. Go ask any Cowboy fan how their newfound reliance on their running game got them to 12 wins, and a playoff win after years of an out of whack run/pass ratio netted them nothing but mediocre football.

There have been 16 halves of football played this post season. 15 of them featured mostly balanced run/pass ratios (60-40% or so). You see one that doesn't (with a hall of fame qb and a banged up secondary) and you somehow think that proves something. hahaha

And yeah, you wanted Reid to throw the ball over 40 times a game with Mike Vick. Thus, the genesis of this stupid argument that you bring up over and over again. Idiocy. This isn't arena football.

i guess i shouldn't expect the guy who a few years ago said the Pats were winning because of Steven Ridley running the football and not because they had Tom Brady as their QB to fully grasp the concept that a pass by Tom Brady is always better for the Pats and worse for the defense. always.

their running game aided tom brady in past years. a decent running game helps any quarterback.....that is why the cowboys made the leap they did this year--because of a commitment to the running game (they ran it 52% of the time).

go into the pats thread and ask them if throwing the ball as much as they did in the 2nd half is a good recipe for consistent success. ask someone in the cowboys thread the same thing. what your suggesting is ridiculous.

the pats were 12-4 with a healthy 58/42 pass/run ratio this year and that's without any kind of rb one would call elite. but you have to keep defenses honest and protect your qb. this is probably the best season and most complete team they've had in a decade. shockingly they did not throw it 80% of the time.

throwing the ball 80% of the time will never win you anything other than an arena bowl championship. beat it with this nonsense.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    Peyton Manning's career is a testament to the point you're making, Juggler. I also think it's a big part of the Pats inablility to win the big one. They won those SB's before Brady was viewed as anything special, but once he started getting hype, they started focusing more on passing the ball.

It's no coincidence that defensive teams with solid run games ALWAYS win the big one.

• 49ers are buttholes if they hire gase. I will be so pissed. Peyton was the OC of that team and even if he wasn't they flamed out when it mattered most. (Because they couldn't run the ball. Juggler and Dewie are right. You must be able to run....doesn't have to be all you do but you have to have running as a real threat to win a Super Bowl.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • No, but they will as soon as 'ol Rex takes the podium in his first press conference as head coach and claims they're going to the Super Bowl.null
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    According to Espn, John Fox is interviewing for the bears job. That would be an excellent choice for them. To bad buffalo had to hire Rex as soon as possible!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    Why would you want Fox in Buffalo? I don't think he is a good fit at all, and I would consider his job in Denver to be a pretty colossal failure. That team is stacked.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    No, but they will as soon as 'ol Rex takes the podium in his first press conference as head coach and claims they're going to the Super Bowl.null

he's not there to kiss belichik's rings!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

ous.

throwing the ball 80% of the time will never win you anything other than an arena bowl championship. beat it with this nonsense.

except a playoff game against a really good defensive team just last week . ah so much for facts
  • pjhawks wrote: »

ous.

except a playoff game against a really good defensive team just last week . ah so much for facts

You keep harping on this 1 game as your argument. Please list all the other examples where teams throwing 80% of the time has been a success.
    MayDay10 wrote: »
    Why would you want Fox in Buffalo? I don't think he is a good fit at all, and I would consider his job in Denver to be a pretty colossal failure. That team is stacked.

He's taken 2 different teams to the super bowl. The guy is a good coach. All Rex has done was take Manginis team to the AFC championship game twice. The fit may not be something you like, but our problem is with the offense, not the defense.
    Worst sports fan in all of sports? The big 10 doesn't even have the worst fans in college football (SEC).

ous.

You keep harping on this 1 game as your argument. Please list all the other examples where teams throwing 80% of the time has been a success.

He's been having this exact same argument with me for 6 years. I've suffered multiple concussions from slamming my head against the wall so many times.
    www.myspace.com
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666

He's taken 2 different teams to the super bowl. The guy is a good coach. All Rex has done was take Manginis team to the AFC championship game twice. The fit may not be something you like, but our problem is with the offense, not the defense.

well, Fox isn't an offensive coach either. His expertise is in defense.

That Denver team got all the pieces someone could possibly want to win a Superbowl. Offense and Defense. They have nothing to show for it. Fox isn't a bad coach, Id even consider him good. The smoke and mirrors team with Tebow was masterful. However, he isn't a guy I would want to drop everything and run and go get.

You keep saying that Ryan just was lucky he followed Mangini, but he took an average defense under Mangini, and were the #1 defense his 1st season, #6 his second, and #4 his 3rd. Is Mangini even working anywhere or being considered as a head coach anywhere?

Its obvious you have some sort of blind hatred for Rex Ryan. He is a good coach. The situation in New York was awful and mainly due to shitty ownership and GM. I have friends who are Jets fans who are still very high on Ryan, were sad to see him go, and very sad to see him go to a rival. He is a players' coach which is needed in Buffalo to rebrand themselves to members of the NFLPA as a place players may want to consider, and also repair some bad morale the existing players have with their existing coach bolting.
    He isnt my first choice, I was hoping to dip into the college ranks and get Malzahn, Briles, or Sumlin, but it doesnt seem like those guys are making the jump yet. NFL guys available, Ryan is/was my 1st choice. None of the coordinators got me excited, and definitely did not want the Shanahans or Trestman.
  • They should keep Fox and get rid of Peyton.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self

well, Fox isn't an offensive coach either. His expertise is in defense.

That Denver team got all the pieces someone could possibly want to win a Superbowl. Offense and Defense. They have nothing to show for it. Fox isn't a bad coach, Id even consider him good. The smoke and mirrors team with Tebow was masterful. However, he isn't a guy I would want to drop everything and run and go get.

You keep saying that Ryan just was lucky he followed Mangini, but he took an average defense under Mangini, and were the #1 defense his 1st season, #6 his second, and #4 his 3rd. Is Mangini even working anywhere or being considered as a head coach anywhere?

Its obvious you have some sort of blind hatred for Rex Ryan. He is a good coach. The situation in New York was awful and mainly due to shitty ownership and GM. I have friends who are Jets fans who are still very high on Ryan, were sad to see him go, and very sad to see him go to a rival. He is a players' coach which is needed in Buffalo to rebrand themselves to members of the NFLPA as a place players may want to consider, and also repair some bad morale the existing players have with their existing coach bolting.
    He isnt my first choice, I was hoping to dip into the college ranks and get Malzahn, Briles, or Sumlin, but it doesnt seem like those guys are making the jump yet. NFL guys available, Ryan is/was my 1st choice. None of the coordinators got me excited, and definitely did not want the Shanahans or Trestman.

No, it's not a blind hatred. At all in fact. He's a good defensive coach. He's a top notch defensive coordinator. But he's not a good head coach. I hope I'm wrong. I want to see buffalo win. But history has shown that Rex can't win consistently.

I agree with you about the lack of good options now. But that's why you wait until after the super bowl.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    Denver had all the pieces. But they didn't play to their potential on Sunday. Their pro bowlers looked like rookies. The offensive play calling wasn't good.
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 wrote: »
    Denver had all the pieces. But they didn't play to their potential on Sunday. Their pro bowlers looked like rookies. The offensive play calling wasn't good.

That game on Sunday is more on Manning than the play calling. He was way off all day.
    I don't have any blind hatred for Ryan and I do agree he was hamstrung by his superiors the last couple of seasons. I understand fully why many Buffalo fans are rightfully excited by his hiring. I would be too.

That said, looking back on his Jets tenure as a whole, the media attention he got did not correlate to his team's performance on the field. Yes, he reached two AFC title games and yes he sometimes played the Patriots tough. To my mind that is not enough to warrant quickly hiring him the way Pegula did. Not saying he will be a failure in Buffalo, just that he is no guaranteed lock to turn things around.

What is guaranteed is that the Bills media profile will definitely be raised with Ryan in the fold. That will help with any plans to get a stadium built. I wonder how much that factored into the decision to pounce the way they did.