The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Ok Gambs your in the 24 cone of the storm.How you dealing?
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I brought my beloved Soup cd with me today and listened to New Life this morning in honor of the new-gambo (c'mon already, JCV!).

Also have to share this simple but lovely experience I just had.

On the elevator going down to my car, it stops a couple floors down and a man gets on, sporting a ukelele. With a smile, asks "any requests?" I was just...floored (in the best way).

He starts strumming away, same lovely smile. I was almost in tears at this unexpected and beautiful treat.

Squeezed his arm, thanked him, and told him he made my day.

I also suggested he check out Ed's uke stuff :)
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Tomorrow at 8 it starts, but with induction it often takes many hours!
    I have been playing video games and jogging dogs and trying to enjoy the things I will have to break from for a bit.

Soup is a helluva album!
    "I can't tell you
    how many ways that I've sat,
    And viewed my life today,
    but I can tell you
    I don't think that I can find easier way."
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,598
    rr165892 said:

Any of you crazy kids seen the Reese Witherspoon movie "Wild"?
    It's very good and she is phenom in it.Highly recommend it.It was heavily nominated this year.Laura Dern is also in it and very good.

Definitely wanting to see this one, rr. And glad to see Laura Dern is in it- always liked here work (and her folk's too, Bruce Dern and Diane Ladd).

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,172
    I had a first time thing happen to me this evening while cycling. In all the years of cycling I've run across deer, dogs, mean dogs, a gator, wild hog, even ducks flying 10 ft to my side but never what I almost rode over today. It was a green 4 ft iguana, all I could yell out was Wooooo!. Those animals are fast like a squirrel, just more beautiful.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Whoa, g! I can only imagine seeing that. So cool looking, and resilient.

And much as I love squirrels, I too would be woo-ing full-speed at seeing a FOUR FOOT REPTILE.
    hedonist said:

And much as I love squirrels, I too would be woo-ing full-speed at seeing a FOUR FOOT REPTILE.

Hedonist it was surreal but I was so excited to be out riding in our park Okeeheelee here in West a Palm Beach. Almost as surreal as the morning I came back from the gym a couple years ago. As I'm turning into my then 400 ft driveway I saw something in the corner of my eye. It then ran unto the driveway my mouth dropped as I was looking at a panther, yes a damn Panther. These animals are beautiful so different when not in a zoo, maybe they should NEVER be in a zoo.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p said:

hedonist said:

Hedonist it was surreal but I was so excited to be out riding in our park Okeeheelee here in West a Palm Beach. Almost as surreal as the morning I came back from the gym a couple years ago. As I'm turning into my then 400 ft driveway I saw something in the corner of my eye. It then ran unto the driveway my mouth dropped as I was looking at a panther, yes a damn Panther. These animals are beautiful so different when not in a zoo, maybe they should NEVER be in a zoo.

Peace
    Those gorgeous cats are up there with my favorites. And in your driveway!

I have mixed feelings on the zoo front; I want these species to be helped, conserved - but if at the risk/expense of the individual animal?

Also, maybe attributable to this new "Purple Willie" strain I just picked up, but it took awhile for my mind to process "Okeeheelee" =)
    hedonist said:

g under p said:

hedonist said:

Peace
    Those gorgeous cats are up there with my favorites. And in your driveway!

I have mixed feelings on the zoo front; I want these species to be helped, conserved - but if at the risk/expense of the individual animal?

Also, maybe attributable to this new "Purple Willie" strain I just picked up, but it took awhile for my mind to process "Okeeheelee" =)
    Im torn as well because here in Florida far too many are killed by drivers who speed in areas where they thrive. I think that panther I saw was a teenager he/she looked a bit skinny and appeared to not be full grown. It took off scampered behind the shed and into a cypress hammock never to be seen again.

Here's more on panthers killed in FL, a record 30 were killed in 2014...

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article4857063.html

Peace

5:20 AM and we are preparing to go to the hospital ffor induction... Dr Gambs is not happy, she read to much on the internet about why NOT to be induced and is wishing she had refused. Cest la vie I guess.
    It will be a long ordeal but sometime today or tomorrow we will be parents yikes!
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    rgambs said:

5:20 AM and we are preparing to go to the hospital ffor induction... Dr Gambs is not happy, she read to much on the internet about why NOT to be induced and is wishing she had refused. Cest la vie I guess.
    It will be a long ordeal but sometime today or tomorrow we will be parents yikes!

Maybe you don´t have to wait so long...
    Good luck and I hope it will be a wonderful experience for you both!

Can´t wait to hear the good news...
    rgambs said:

Go get em champ.Wishing the best for you.
    edited April 2015
    hedonist said:

Hedo 2 things G forgot to add.
    1. Okeheeleee park is only a couple miles from Okeechobee Blvd.Damn natives and their vowel use.
    North of us by a few miles is Halipatiokee park just to add to the fun.
    2. We are in the middle of an Iguana outbreak.They are like rats.Diseased reptiles.And non native.Thats the worst part.nasty fucks.dirty.

Squirrels are secretly plotting to overtake my neighborhood.I think they may be planning a coup.Ill keep you updated.

G,Weren't you rehabbing something.Good to see your getting back on track.Coolness on the Panther.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
    rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

Hedo 2 things G forgot to add.
    1. Okeheeleee park is only a couple miles from Okeechobee Blvd.Damn natives and their vowel use.
    North of us by a few miles is Halipatiokee park just to add to the fun.
    2. We are in the middle of an Iguana outbreak.They are like rats.Diseased reptiles.And non native.Thats the worst part.nasty fucks.dirty.

Squirrels are secretly plotting to overtake my neighborhood.I think they may be planning a coup.Ill keep you updated.

G,Weren't you rehabbing something.Good to see your getting back on track.Coolness on the Panther.
    I had no idea about the iguanas...are they generally that large where you are? It'd be surreal to see that here.

And I'm keeping the gambo family in my thoughts today. Here's to it all going well, and Mrs. G being as comfortable and painfree as possible!
  • Today is the day!! Can't wait to meet baby Gambs!!!

And G, and RR ( ok I'm a total dork.. But ya'll spell a growl when I'm posting to both of you in that order..if I post to you in the reverse order, it's a pirate growl! Ok done entertaining myself now), are they doing anything to cut down on the feral iguana thing? Because introducing them into your Eco system is not good considering, they are NOT native and can be very destructive. Especially since there is such a propensity for them thrive out there!
    And a panther, how cool!! I don't think I've ever seen one just out in the wild like that!

As for seeing weird shit.. Once my sister and I were driving back to my rural house out in TX, after a night of really hard partying. As we turned this one corner, there sat a Capiberra ( sp?). I shit you not! My sister slammed on the brakes.. And I had kind of dozed off.. And I'm so not kidding.. She leaned over, and said "Dr.Doolittle, what the fuck IS that, or did we drop acid??" I start laughing at her calling me Dr.Doolittle. But by this time it had hoped over to the side of the road. I got out and it let me pet it.. I begged my sis to get a pic of me with it, while I explained what it was...but we were out of film. My poor sister kept insisting we'd dropped acid.
    When we got home, I looked it up for her in my animal encyclopedia. She couldn't believe what she saw!!
    For those with no idea, s Capiberra is a GIANT rodent, they look like a bunny, hamster, and guinea pig rolled into a 100lb animal!! Craziest thing I've run into while driving.
    Ok, when I first read that my mind thought you said Chupacabra lol!
    Hahhaa too funny, and what the hell is a Cappiberra doing in Texas? Aren't they from the Amazon.
    Between Gators,crocs,30 ft gator eating pythons,Komodo Dragons,Other snakes and iguanas,poisonous Bufo toads ,Invasive lion fish,we have our share of cool trippy shit.

The biggest threats to our Eco system,Espescially in the glades is the Pythons.They lay 100 eggs at a time and multiply like crazy.thats why we have them hunted.I wish they would keep it open season on them all year long.

The Iguanas population is growing and to be honest I haven't heard the alarm sound yet but it will soon.Some are the size of a small gator.

Our Panther and Black bear populations are slowly coming back.People don't think either with Florida but we got em.
    Black bear are one of the most successful mammals on the planet, the can live and even thrive in most any ecosystem, even the Sonoran desert!
  • rgambs said:

Ok, when I first read that my mind thought you said Chupacabra lol!
    Hahhaa too funny, and what the hell is a Cappiberra doing in Texas? Aren't they from the Amazon.

Right?? That's what I said too! They're from South America! So why was it in San Angelo TX?? But still, not something you see every day! And it had to be somebody's pet, cause it let me pet it and hug it etc.. Yeah.. I hugged it.. I was drunk!
    Wow,San Angelo TX.Thats rattlesnake and High School football country
    I first thought chupacabra also.
  • Yep, definitely HS football country!! It is also cattle and oil lands! The ranch I worked in was like 20,000 acres.. It took us three days on horseback to make it front side to backside, collecting cattle. Then it took us four days to bring the cattle back up to front side, to split herds for sales lot, feeder, and breeding..THAT took six or seven days, then another five days to go redisperse herds into their respective grazing grounds. It was soon after this procedure where there is short work to be done, leaving most evenings free to party.
    edited April 2015
    24 years ago today,The best album ever was released.Temple of the Dog.For it anniversary I have been cranking the shit out of it all day.
    BTW.how ridiculous is the lead and jam at the end of Reach Down.wow

Fitting if baby Gambs enters the world today.He will be in stellar company,and have a cool backstory.
    Hmmm...Cornell would make a great first name :whistle:
    hedonist said:

Hmmm...Cornell would make a great first name :whistle:

Oh,I like it.
    That's got stud written all over it.
    Cornell Jean Claude Gambs.How regal!
    Holy fuck!! Labor is hell, epidurals are amazing. Baby Gambs is Alive!
    Wow he's so beautiful I can't take my eyes off him.
    7lbs 12oz
    19 inches
    Simon Levi Gambs

Thank you all for your well wishes.
    It's really awesome to have people I have never met, but consider friends, who are emotionally invested in a baby they dont know...awesome yall are groovy
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Wowee! Wonderful. And congrats to your whole little family! I know a lot of us were thinking about you today.

Of course, we can hardly wait for pictures...
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,598
    YES GAMBS! Congratulations! Welcome to The World, Simon Levi!

And as oftenreading said, looking forward to pictures!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Congrats gambs!
    Enjoy and love that new baby scent while you can.
    rgambs said:

Holy fuck!! Labor is hell, epidurals are amazing. Baby Gambs is Alive!
    Wow he's so beautiful I can't take my eyes off him.
    7lbs 12oz
    19 inches
    Simon Levi Gambs

Thank you all for your well wishes.
    It's really awesome to have people I have never met, but consider friends, who are emotionally invested in a baby they dont know...awesome yall are groovy

Revel and enjoy! So very happy for you, new papa. Best thoughts to your wife as well - hope she knows how collectively fond we are of you all.

And I hope you can get some rest in while you still can :)