The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    chadwick said:

oh im very sincere, rgambs. it's my curious nature wanting to know these things. i found myself yesterday wanting to know which company manufactured my new knees. guess i'll make a note of this & ask the dr when i see him next. i remember you saying the operating rooms you were working in they had music turned up. this is a amazing visual to me

thank you, lux. im on my feet & zooming about like a turtle or some other slow ass critter

The Dr. I worked with did Depuy rreplacements almost exclusively. We used his IPhone for music...Ozzy was his favorite and lots of Alt stuff like REM and NIN. Plenty of volume, enough to aggravate anesthesia lol
    After all the prep they slice right in, and the patella gets folded back with a tiny crowbar, and let me tell ya, it puts up a fight! If you let go all at once, the patella would flip down hard enough to fling the instrument across the room. What follows is a whole lot of bone sawing, hammering, chiseling, drilling, and nailing. It truly is alot like carpentry. Your leg gets bent and unbent with lots of force and a tight grip. The tibial plateau is kind of like a fist held with fingers away from you, and they saw it down flat below the ridges that correspond to the knuckes on your fist. Same with the femur. The bone bleeds purple and fat pours out, the room smells of burning plastic if your bone is very hard. Your femoral canal gets reamed out and hollowed like a flute, a very bloody messy process. The cement is a powder and liquid that get mixed, they heat up and set slowly and then BAM! pounded in. Of course this is the super simplified summary, but any specific questions (no medical advice lol) about the process I'd be glad to answer!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    oh my god. wow! you have my attention although im speechless pretty much
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    2 inch pins with pegged heads get pounded in to hold templates in place, which guide the saw cuts, and sometimes a little touch-up is done free-handed. Your patella is sawed flat and a big plastic button is cemented on in it's place. Anywhere there is cement the bone will probably be pocked with shallow holes for the cement to gain purchase. When the implants are hammered on, sometimes blood flies all the way to the ceiling!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I am feeling so Zen right now... :whistle:
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Well then,I'm not going to bitch about any aches and pains today.Thx boys
    hedonist said:

Do you have the Nag Champa burning?
    edited March 2015
    let me tell you something, rgambs. when coming around after surgery im lying there in thorough agony. i literally felt/thought i had been hit by a car, took out at the legs, lying in a ditch unable to get up & walk. the nurse was telling me to calm down as i was moaning rolling back & forth. she was telling me i could rip the IV line out. she told my g/f i was misbehaving hence the delay on me getting to my room

it was so painful coming back around once anesthesia was wearing off. unreal how terrible that felt. just the worst ever. see i did not get the 4 nerve blocking shots. they tried but couldn't get it right so they gave up
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

let me tell you something, rgambs. when coming around after surgery im lying there in thorough agony. i literally felt/thought i had been hit by a car, took out at the legs, lying in a ditch unable to get up & walk. the nurse was telling me to calm down as i was moaning rolling back & forth. she was telling me i could rip the IV line out. she told my g/f i was misbehaving hence the delay on me getting to my room

How's the pain now Chad?
    i hurt but the pain is slowly lessening

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,598
    I'm going to be nice to my knees from here on out!

Gambs!-- 9 lb baby?!!! Oooh Weee! Hope all's going well.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

love the nag champa

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

Do you have the Nag Champa burning?
    I wish! I just have a weak stomach for medical procedures.

Hello, my name is hedonist and I am a pussy =)
    chadwick said:

it was so painful coming back around once anesthesia was wearing off. unreal how terrible that felt. just the worst ever. see i did not get the 4 nerve blocking shots. they tried but couldn't get it right so they gave up

Yeah if you have a bad back that can kill ypur chance for the block. The way you woke up is pretty typical, patients need restrained often... It is really confusing to come out of anesthesia, add immense pain, bright lights, unfamiliar people, that's a recipe for some "drunk strugglin" as I call it.
    Dunno why, but watching the Simpsons, Mayor Quimby was at some event thanking the band who does Spinning Wheel.

"Thank you, Blood and Tears. Sorry about Sweat."

Hilarious - this show rarely fails!
    Well, that first sentence up there made no sense.

Color me buzzed :glasses:
    Shit,I knew what your saying just fine.What does that say about the buzzed state of mind of the reader.:)
    It says that buzzed minds think alike!

Test-driving the Scion tomorrow - can't wait. Assuming there's an initial level of comfort, fingers crossed I'll be getting it this weekend or next.
    hedonist said:

It says that buzzed minds think alike!

Test-driving the Scion tomorrow - can't wait. Assuming there's an initial level of comfort, fingers crossed I'll be getting it this weekend or next.

Good luck.Asphalt right?
    Thanks - and yes!
    SWEET !
    Post pics?
    Hoping we come home with new wheels tomorrow, so if so, I will!

First, a toast from here to WhatYouTaughtMe's good news - and it IS good news. My husband doesn't have tumors, but cysts all over his liver and kidneys...his brothers and sister have them too. Different for sure, but can understand the related repercussions and pain they cause.

Second, in reading through some of the threads today, I've learned a lot about many of my fellow members that have shed new, brighter light in the good way I already saw them. Some really amazing and surprising people here.

Third, it's finally Friday. Been a challenging week at work but we got her (mostly) done!

So cheers in whatever choice of indulgence or comfort made.
    Right on.It was a bitch of a week wasn't it .Thanky the weekend hath arrived.
    Heading out tothe Nickelback concert tonight(Hold the snarky remarks).Pop evil and Pretty Reckless opening up.Hope everyone has a great evening.
    Personal tastes aside, all about digging it, my friend.
    edited March 2015
    Whoa, the sound on the vid I posted (IMT 2005 Santiago) really sucks. Deleted!

Still...y'all get the gist, I hope.
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,172

Plankton glowing at night.
    chadwick said:

I've been there with the anesthesia ALL IS WELL, however when it wears off and if the blocking shots wear down all hell breaks loose with pain. My surgery was 7/3/14 and I must say I had THE worst July 4th ever. One time the nurse came and laughed, she told me I pressed the pain shot 583 times. She said after 3 times none of the others was doing anything for me. Man I have a high pain threshold but when it's midnight and I can't get a nurse in a private room I want relief anyway I could get it.

I look forward to day my right knee get replaced, that should be interesting. Love all the medical descriptions, beautifully done.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    g under p said:

Plankton glowing at night.

chadwick said:

I've been there with the anesthesia ALL IS WELL, however when it wears off and if the blocking shots wear down all hell breaks loose with pain. My surgery was 7/3/14 and I must say I had THE worst July 4th ever. One time the nurse came and laughed, she told me I pressed the pain shot 583 times. She said after 3 times none of the others was doing anything for me. Man I have a high pain threshold but when it's midnight and I can't get a nurse in a private room I want relief anyway I could get it.

I look forward to day my right knee get replaced, that should be interesting. Love all the medical descriptions, beautifully done.

Peace
    Can´t stop starring at this...incredible picture! Where is it ?

Nickelback was good.I Was pleasently surprised.Great stage presence and fan rapport.They covered Zeppelin,Bryan Adams and My Fav The Foo Fighters Everlong.

Pretty Reckless canceled,I Was disappointed.They rock live.But Pop evil was great as an opener.
    I know a lot of you don't listen to that kind of rock,but you should give em a try.Very talented musicians and catchy,hooky tunes.worth a listen.
    G,real cool pic!
    Sitting catching up on some design work on a chill Sunday afternoon.Mudhoney cranking.Such straight forward in your face dirty grungy goodness.Under appreciated in the Seattle sound movement of late 80s/early 90s.IMHO.