The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Hahahhaa the old fashioned way. I like it. "Hey, what's up?
    Not much, what's up?
    Can you help me out?"

Score!!!!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    rr165892 said:

Crickets in the lounge this week.Im going to drink alone apparently.I just tapped some Cigar City Invasion.What a fine pale indeed.

Starting the pre game now,going to see Elton John tomorrow night in Miami.Looking forward to it,but I'm thinking it's probably going to be a mellow show.You know the kind were people don't stand ,and they ask you to sit when you do.I sure hope I'm wrong.

I wanted to see about getting some better seats or should I say closer seats(The ones I have were comped by a client)But my wife brought up a good point.She said "it's not like it's Cornell.Elton is getting on in age and dosent move much behind the pianoanymore so what advantage is it getting closer,when all they action will be on the Jumbo tron." I can't argue with that.I am expecting it to be like a Eagles show vibe wise.Can anyone enlighten me here?Anyway,Thursday night is always the gateway to the weekend.So hope everyone is feeling good.

I went to an Eagles show two or three years ago and I've never been so bored at a concert in my life. We had fantastic seats, eighth row from the stage, I think, in some sort of VIP area, and I went with someone who was a real fan. I actually felt a bit bad about it because there I was, taking up a seat that tons of other people in the stadium would have killed for, and I was just sitting there waiting for it to end - except when Joe Walsh did his bit, of course!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I bet there've been people at PJ shows who thought the same as you! Not in the boring show sense but having great seats as a nonfan.

Aside from a few Eagles songs, I actually prefer their solo music vs. the collective.

(I can imagine a show of theirs being yawn-inducing =) )
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

rr165892 said:

Crickets in the lounge this week.Im going to drink alone apparently.I just tapped some Cigar City Invasion.What a fine pale indeed.

Starting the pre game now,going to see Elton John tomorrow night in Miami.Looking forward to it,but I'm thinking it's probably going to be a mellow show.You know the kind were people don't stand ,and they ask you to sit when you do.I sure hope I'm wrong.

I wanted to see about getting some better seats or should I say closer seats(The ones I have were comped by a client)But my wife brought up a good point.She said "it's not like it's Cornell.Elton is getting on in age and dosent move much behind the pianoanymore so what advantage is it getting closer,when all they action will be on the Jumbo tron." I can't argue with that.I am expecting it to be like a Eagles show vibe wise.Can anyone enlighten me here?Anyway,Thursday night is always the gateway to the weekend.So hope everyone is feeling good.

I went to an Eagles show two or three years ago and I've never been so bored at a concert in my life. We had fantastic seats, eighth row from the stage, I think, in some sort of VIP area, and I went with someone who was a real fan. I actually felt a bit bad about it because there I was, taking up a seat that tons of other people in the stadium would have killed for, and I was just sitting there waiting for it to end - except when Joe Walsh did his bit, of course!
    I went to the Eagles on the same tour,had 6th row and your right.It was mellow except for walsh solo stuff and A couple of the biggies.
    rgambs said:

Not much, what's up?
    Can you help me out?"

Score!!!!

You forgot to add in "bro"

And yes that was the real old fashioned way.Now a days it's more like someone I know real well for many years.So I actually get a call asking if I'm running low and usually will get a commentary on quality and type of Buzz.They know I like light and happy,not sledgehammer to the brain heavy and lazy.
    If Ya know what I mean.
    rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

Not much, what's up?
    Can you help me out?"

Score!!!!

And yes that was the real old fashioned way.Now a days it's more like someone I know real well for many years.So I actually get a call asking if I'm running low and usually will get a commentary on quality and type of Buzz.They know I like light and happy,not sledgehammer to the brain heavy and lazy.
    If Ya know what I mean.
    I do know what ya mean! I'm not a fan of couch-lock, I like a light cerebral type...the kind for active folks, good for a hike in the woods or playing some guitar.
    And yeah, even for a youngster like me the days of calling around desperately are long gone. You either know somebody or you don't lol.

Bob Dylan was the biggest sleepy show I have seen.
    George Thorogood though, damn he was on fire, don't miss him if he comes your way! Buddy Guy was electrix too, especially for an OLD man.
    rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

Not much, what's up?
    Can you help me out?"

Score!!!!

If Ya know what I mean.
    I do know what ya mean! I'm not a fan of couch-lock, I like a light cerebral type...the kind for active folks, good for a hike in the woods or playing some guitar.
    And yeah, even for a youngster like me the days of calling around desperately are long gone. You either know somebody or you don't lol.

Bob Dylan was the biggest sleepy show I have seen.
    George Thorogood though, damn he was on fire, don't miss him if he comes your way! Buddy Guy was electrix too, especially for an OLD man.
    Buddy Guy is playing in DC with the Foos,Joan Jett,Heart,LL Cool J,Trombone Shorty on 4th of July.I will be there and am looking forward to it.
    Most energy of any shows recently(excluding my Foo Fighters) would be Zach Brown Band,Papa Roach and Halestorm.
    Halestorm is the loudest concert I've ever been to.That shit was great.
    Haha ,couch lock = Mind fuck
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    I'm going to be seeing Buddy Guy at a music festival on Vancouver Island in June, I think. I have no idea who else is playing but he was enough for me to get tickets.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,598

I'm going to be seeing Buddy Guy at a music festival on Vancouver Island in June, I think. I have no idea who else is playing but he was enough for me to get tickets.

Fantastic! Have a great time!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I love this great old clip with Buddy and his 150 mile guitar cable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmjo902SNKM

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• I would like to ask a serious question loungers....
    Does anyone Like/Listen to Dean Martin occasionally?
    I grew up with it blasting on records all day by my mom. And I must say in the last few years I have begun to search and listen a little to Dino and like it! And I recognize his music when it comes on to the dismay of my friends who say "how do you know who this is, your not that old"?

I am not old but I remember liking this movie when I was 7 or 8 I think.

I do know though that I never got into Jerry Lewis.
    I grew up listening to Dino - my mom loved him and Sinatra. I'll definitely have a listen when I get a hankering for that era.

A few years before he died, we were having dinner at a local old-time Italian restaurant, La Famiglia (no longer around). He was at the table next to us...old, unwell but still fairly alert. It must've been not too long after his son died.

My mom was swooning, went over to him, kissed him on the cheek. One of the highlights of her life.
    A little known fact is the obsession Jimi Hendrix had with Buddy Guy. He is reported to have skipped his own gigs in order to attend Buddy's, and it is clear that he "adopted" much of Buddy's playing style and stage presence.

Not trying to be too big of a downer but I just can't get into the crooners like Sinatra and Martin at all. They fall flat on passion for me. I don't hear artistic expression and soulful emotion, I hear professionalism and an " I'm cool" attitude. Just my opinion but like I said, I don't hear passion or expression, I hear talented voices going through the motions, all in imitation of a single sound.
    gambo! Have you ever listened to live Sinatra? Not the boring shit (he said he hated performing Strangers in the Night - and I don't blame him), but the big-band shows with the best of the best behind him?

I wonder if part of my love is borne of nostalgia...but even now, when I listen / watch, I'm over the moon. It's just GOOD music, energy - and when it comes to Sinatra, voice too. Maybe not a great voice, but it hits me.
    Not having the nostalgic connection I just can't get into that style of music. The nostalgic stuff for me is Jethro Tull, Elton John, Deep Purple, Kansas, CSNY, etc... Of course it isn't strictly nostalgia because I still listen to it all lol

To me the crooners got put to bed and laid to rest by James Taylor, who beat the pants off them at their own game AND played one mean guitar.
    rgambs said:

A little known fact is the obsession Jimi Hendrix had with Buddy Guy. He is reported to have skipped his own gigs in order to attend Buddy's, and it is clear that he "adopted" much of Buddy's playing style and stage presence.

Not trying to be too big of a downer but I just can't get into the crooners like Sinatra and Martin at all. They fall flat on passion for me. I don't hear artistic expression and soulful emotion, I hear professionalism and an " I'm cool" attitude. Just my opinion but like I said, I don't hear passion or expression, I hear talented voices going through the motions, all in imitation of a single sound.

I've read the same thing about Guy and Hendrix. Buddy Gambs ( :wink: ) , you might enjoy the book called Becoming Jimi Hendrix, From Southern Crossroads to Psychedelic London by Steven Roby and Brad Schreiber. Almost the entire book focuses on Jimi's formative years and growth as a musician pre- Experience. Good reading!

Three words -

Pilate, Philly, 2009.

:dog:
    brianlux said:

rgambs said:

I've read the same thing about Guy and Hendrix. Buddy Gambs ( :wink: ) , you might enjoy the book called Becoming Jimi Hendrix, From Southern Crossroads to Psychedelic London by Steven Roby and Brad Schreiber. Almost the entire book focuses on Jimi's formative years and growth as a musician pre- Experience. Good reading!

I will have to check that out! I am a big blues fan, to the bone.
    I wish McCready would do more blues riffs...he kills in songs like Of The Girl.
    hedonist said:

Three words -

Pilate, Philly, 2009.

:dog:

I haven't heard it...good version? Milano was only an average Pilate from what I've read but I sure loved it!
    edited March 2015
    Gambs if you like great talented guitarists who make the blues their personal bitch,check out Gary Clark jr.More rock Blues then straight up blues,but man can he play.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
    So,Elton was a solid show.Almost 3 hrs of greatest hits sing along.The Bedazzled Captain Fantastic sounded great.I was thinking like some singers who are getting on in age he might loose a little range and tone.But no.He was crisp and flamboyant as ever.I forget just how many big,big hits he has had.He closed with Crocodile Rock.Fun,fun

The Spicy cornucopia of eye candy and hot mess Miami crowd was younger then I thought it would be and ,before and after the music provided a endless supply of top notch people watching.This place(Miami) is on a whole different level that's uniquly their own.I hate coming down here for anything ,but it's entertaining .Ill give em that.
    hedonist said:

gambo! Have you ever listened to live Sinatra? Not the boring shit (he said he hated performing Strangers in the Night - and I don't blame him), but the big-band shows with the best of the best behind him?

I wonder if part of my love is borne of nostalgia...but even now, when I listen / watch, I'm over the moon. It's just GOOD music, energy - and when it comes to Sinatra, voice too. Maybe not a great voice, but it hits me.

Francis S had so much swag.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    I need a Drink.
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    i_lov_it said:

I need a Drink.

I really don´t need one for the next weeks! lol
    Have had enough last night - Hangover for me today... :blush:
    rr, I love that term - spicy cornucopia of eye candy. It's how I envision Miami. Glad you dug the show! I'm impressed with many artists who've sustained their voice/ability over time.

And gambs, it's a great version! But I was watching it too - perhaps Ed's little jigs enhanced things.

Hope everyone's weekend is off to a nice start. AC's been going for the last half-hour and it's not even 8:30, fer chrissakes!
    edited March 2015
    hedonist said:

rr, I love that term - spicy cornucopia of eye candy. It's how I envision Miami. Glad you dug the show! I'm impressed with many artists who've sustained their voice/ability over time.

And gambs, it's a great version! But I was watching it too - perhaps Ed's little jigs enhanced things.

Hope everyone's weekend is off to a nice start. AC's been going for the last half-hour and it's not even 8:30, fer chrissakes!

it was a hot night last evening temp wise so lots of skin on parade.Miami is soooo different then the rest of our state.It really is like going to another Caribean country.But it has a excited electricity about it,a Sexiness if you know the vibe Im trying to describe.With lots of exotic blends of cultures.

And I didn't know the A/C was something that could be turned off.We keep it 72 year round.We would melt without it.

Hit a French Bistro on the way home today from Miami this am and had a Wild mushroom,tomato and Brie omelette with a Red Velvet cake Belgium waffle w/cream cheese topping.(it's cheat day) HOLY SHIT was it good.The coffee cups were the size of soup bowls.Im stuffed,time for a nap.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
    ...just me, or does this have a groove similar to Pilate? That boom-2-3-4 thing.

In any event, I love this badass woman - nothing to do with her sharing a homestate with my man, either! Although Ohio has produced some fine folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvAYGz6Iwmc
    Gah! Talk about badass women with badass voices.

:bow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evxc2YyWeYo
    Hedo,I would take the Pretenders My city was gone over Pilate.Its a better tune imo.And Manson oozes coolness dosent she.I love Vig in the back just working the tambourine.Hes been the Foo Fighters producer(and Nirvana) last 2 albums.
    Back in the day Manson would wear real mini skirts when on stage.I always wondered if those up front got a little more to the show then they paid for.Lucky bastards.
    Haha, I bet Ms. M brought more than a smile to more than a few.

And I can't decide between the two songs. They each get me (or, I them).

Now this, beauty ad infinitum! Just makes me so happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MIo2lJiCxA