The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,172

rgambs said:

g under p said:

Two days ago I went to try on a old cycling mountain bike shorts and the damn thing fell right off me. I said WTF, I got on the scale and I'm just over 200 lbs down from 220. The last two months I've been riding everyday to work I can't get enough. My lower half is rock hard, now upper half is another story. That's for the rest of July and August to solve.......STAY FIT EVERYBODY!

Peace

Way to go g under p! I've also been cycling to work almost every day; I started with one day a week in January and have increased to at least 4, some weeks 5 days. I feel great and my endurance has definitely improved. I don't like gyms so if you come up with an upper body workout that doesn't involve the gym, let me know.

In two week's I'll be on my 4 day cycle/camping tour - wish me luck!
    But a kayak! Few hundred dollars, great upper body workout, and nothing is as serene as floating so intimately.
    Yes, I love kayaking, but then I'd need to buy a roof rack to carry it, and where would I get the time (going out kayaking takes way more time than biking for a couple of hours).
    Interesting I joined a gym yesterday.,,.trial for a week if I don't like in get ALL my money back. Anyway kayaking is a workout for the upper body and even MORE of an upper body and legs workout is rowing. I had several nightmare scenarios in canoeing and kayaking. One I just about drowned and the latter I went out about a mile in the Gulf of Mexico. Big wave came through knocked me out of the kayak. I tried to swim with the kayak to shore and went nowhere for 30 minutes. On my last desperate attempt to get back in (this was 6 years ago and I weighed 270) I made it and paddled back in. I've never gotten back in one since then but now that I've dropped all that weight I'd like to give it another go again.

Yes lots of logistics involved in kayaking much better to rent one if one is staying at a resort rather than having to bring your own.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    rr165892 said:

So one of my key employees who is one of my field supervisors moonlights as head of security at our local live nation venue,Corsl Sky Amphitheater.
    tonight is the Kid Rock/Foriegner show.Of course I'm going,but he comes to me and tells me they have received a memo from other venues that Kid Rock comes running out with a rebel flag and that has caused issues in the crowd.Extra security has been brought in and they are expecting a bunch of "southern pride"supporters there flags and all.
    My wife is like why the hell is he doing that,this is stupid."I'm not down with that".I agree why does he feel this is important?
    whatcha all think?I think he may loose some fans.

Does he typically do this with the flag or are the issues due to recent events?

Either way, I hope (know) you'll enjoy, rr!

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    g under p said:

rgambs said:

g under p said:

Two days ago I went to try on a old cycling mountain bike shorts and the damn thing fell right off me. I said WTF, I got on the scale and I'm just over 200 lbs down from 220. The last two months I've been riding everyday to work I can't get enough. My lower half is rock hard, now upper half is another story. That's for the rest of July and August to solve.......STAY FIT EVERYBODY!

Peace

Way to go g under p! I've also been cycling to work almost every day; I started with one day a week in January and have increased to at least 4, some weeks 5 days. I feel great and my endurance has definitely improved. I don't like gyms so if you come up with an upper body workout that doesn't involve the gym, let me know.

But a kayak! Few hundred dollars, great upper body workout, and nothing is as serene as floating so intimately.
    Yes, I love kayaking, but then I'd need to buy a roof rack to carry it, and where would I get the time (going out kayaking takes way more time than biking for a couple of hours).
    Interesting I joined a gym yesterday.,,.trial for a week if I don't like in get ALL my money back. Anyway kayaking is a workout for the upper body and even MORE of an upper body and legs workout is rowing. I had several nightmare scenarios in canoeing and kayaking. One I just about drowned and the latter I went out about a mile in the Gulf of Mexico. Big wave came through knocked me out of the kayak. I tried to swim with the kayak to shore and went nowhere for 30 minutes. On my last desperate attempt to get back in (this was 6 years ago and I weighed 270) I made it and paddled back in. I've never gotten back in one since then but now that I've dropped all that weight I'd like to give it another go again.

Yes lots of logistics involved in kayaking much better to rent one if one is staying at a resort rather than having to bring your own.

Peace

I've been thinking of buying a rowing machine; I may still do that, especially for the torrentially-rainy months when I may be cycling less often. Unless you meant real rowing in a scull, in which case I'm unlikely to do that since I like to see the scenery when I paddle.

Glad to hear you saved yourself those years ago; the ocean is always unpredictable. I was once kayaking around one of the smaller Gulf Islands (Hornby Island) and came very close to being swept away when trying to round one of the point, due to the combination of current and wind.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    g under p said:

rgambs said:

g under p said:

Peace

Peace

I just throw and go! No logistics, no hassle, I will be on the water at 4:45AM tomorrow in fact!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    No flag,just a brief mention of an individual's right to support whatever they want.No protests and a fairly redneck free evening(mostly).

Kid Rock was very entertaining,a fun show.

Foreigner was a blast.Those guys still full of energy,great musicians and they flat out rocked all their hits.It was like all those nights cruising around in my High School Camaro with the stereo cranking.good stuff.Great way to kick off the weekend.
    Cheers to all.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,172
    M
    rr165892 said:
    Thanks rr, I arrived there before 10pm heard a couple songs I don't know before the song where he says...."smoking funny things" extended. I went unto works after that....the parking lot was pretty packed which I always like. I see Van Halen is on the horizon, I just don't know about DLRs voice these days. He can be soo unpredictable.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

He's still belting away and sounds great.If you think your going make the show,hit me up ,drinks on me.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    G takes some effort to quit LA fitness. Have to send them a singed letter through snail mail and have to send it well in advance. Just FYI.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    Rr maybe topic for Rebel flag thread.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

g under p said:

Peace

I guess I take my proximity to water for granted. If you are within 20 minutes of a launch ramp then a few hours is plenty of time! Roof rack isn't really necessary, SUV, van, or truck makes it a snap. I used to strap it directly to the top of my Corsica... 1 lateral strap really tight and a single anchor strap to the front and back, it won't go anywhere.
    Corsica with boat strapped on roof. Love it. Ha
    callen said:

Rr maybe topic for Rebel flag thread.

Done and over with now Cal.I happen to like the folks in the lounge very much,yourself included and value all the insight.So occasionally I like to float a topic for feedback that may be a tad off lounge like topic.
    callen said:

G takes some effort to quit LA fitness. Have to send them a singed letter through snail mail and have to send it well in advance. Just FYI.

That's what happens when you boys work out at a pretty boy corporate spandex factory.lol

I prefer a more testosterone filled dungeon that cost like 20 bucks a month.Still plenty of scenery and quality equipment(usually).Lots of grunting and knuckle dragging.

Gambsy please tell me you have one of these for SG?
    rr165892 said:

I love this.

gambo, this is a must!

rr, so happy you dug the show. And you had a Camaro in HS? My husband has a 2010 SS; he'd love you.
    For Nick's son. Too fucking young.

May your spirit sail on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZCgYZ8LU4A
    hedonist said:

rr165892 said:

I love this.

gambo, this is a must!

rr, so happy you dug the show. And you had a Camaro in HS? My husband has a 2010 SS; he'd love you.
    Hedo,I wish I had a picture.It was a beefed up 79 Camaro.We called her Christine,because she somehow got us home after some serious party nights back in day.
    Very similar in looks to the old yellow Camaro in the movie transformers.Not as beat up,but big 50s Krager rims and air shocks in the back.
    Kicking Alpine system with power booster and graphic equalizer ,big obnoxious speakers from my living room which had enough wire to drag onto the roof to crank out the Van Halen when we party parked at "Double Roads" up at the beach.It looked like American Grafitti up there.Hundreds of cars parked and everyone would cruise,get high and try to get laid.Tourist girls were always a target for our teenage smoothness. of course car was equipped with 2 full 48 capacity cassette holders and I had no headliner and everyone would scratch shit into the roof.it was cool.
    Man thanks for the trip back.im smiling.
    Not mine but pretty close
  • riotgrlriotgrl Posts: 1,895
    Evening! Haven't ventured in here for a bit but hope everyone is doing well. We just moved into a 1927Craftsman home and we are spending our evenings sanding, painting, and generally fixing this home up! We are painting the ceilings this evening to (what else!) some Pearl Jam and some vino - cheers!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
    rr, I'm showing this to my guy when he gets home.

And riotgirl, congratulations! Hope you can post a photo or two as you make progress. I shall raise a glass shortly to your new venture!
    callen said:

Singed letter - to show you really got burned?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,602
    riotgrl said:

Evening! Haven't ventured in here for a bit but hope everyone is doing well. We just moved into a 1927Craftsman home and we are spending our evenings sanding, painting, and generally fixing this home up! We are painting the ceilings this evening to (what else!) some Pearl Jam and some vino - cheers!

Congrats on the new home, riotgrl!

We went to the deYoung museum in SF yesterday and they had a Frank Lloyd Wright Art and Crafts window on display. I had the covets big time!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

So I've just discovered some of these demos. And some of them are getting me...right...HERE.

You know music hits you when you put to hand to chest without even realizing it.

(plus maybe a good tear or two)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWzMjlsmEbc
  • riotgrlriotgrl Posts: 1,895
    I will definitely post pics! My daughters room still has the original glass in the arched window. Very cool. My neighbor really has some amazing windows to covet and they are all original. Off to prime the walls!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
    PJ tunes are awesome to paint to; they really get you moving. I'm not sure I'd paint along with the vino, though; who knows where the paint would end up?
    When I bought my/our place, I'd get a great buzz going, blast some music (hadn't yet discovered PJ) - any and all kinds worked - and paint the hell out of it! It was so fun, and so satisfying, whether a straight paint or more intricate design. Lack of beautiful architecture (as many of you have in your homes, you lucky ones) made me rely on color and perceived texture.

It works...and we've had no white walls for 20+ years :)

Riotgrl,Congrats on the sweet digs.Im currently feeling your pain,as we are in the middle of floor and total kitchen remodel.A lot of having to eat out lately.ehhhh
    Haven't even got to painting yet.
    And all of you are correct.Nothing is better for a painting session then some righteous tunes and a cool buzz.
    Speaking of buzzes,It feels like a Saki Bomb and Sushi kinda night.Enjoy all.
    had to venture up and out onto the Porch.Weird shit up that way.I like it much better down here.just saying.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited July 2015
    https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xtp1/v/t1.0-0/11701191_1875263392699420_8526799896312561601_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=df9d38712392a6343837c03c1dc01886&oe=56133906&__gda__=1444799520_5011c3c21a7b221a40ccb07176358571

Simon Gumby is kickin' ass and takin' names! Cute as a button, healthier than a horse, hair like Clark Kent. 3 months old and he is rolling over every chance he gets, little psycho is obsessed with it lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    good stuff Gambsy.SG looking happy and well nourished.

Hows the Mrs? Getting back to fully active?