The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:

Welcome back, B! Sorry for the car issues but that memory sounds lovely and, well...memorable :)

Also nice to know that Annie isn't doing the "cat-punishing" thing upon your return. God knows our felines can turn surly!

That's one nice thing about dogs, they don't get that attitude. When we come home, be it 10 minutes or 10 days, they go nuts! They howl and bark and growl, they jump and shake and wag so hard they can't keep their hind legs under them. Melts your heart!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianlux said:

Hey friends, back from the Road Trip To Hell. Made it as far as southern Oregon and then car trouble. We had a few good days on the coast but that's about it. The best memory for this trip will be having a smoke and listening to Dinosaur Jr's "Ocean in the Way" through portable CD player headphones while watching waves crash on the rocks at Salt Point. One other good thing- Annie The Cat sure is glad to see us home.

Hope you have had a good almost two weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssno9DLqb8I

Welcome back, Brian. You were missed.

Sorry to hear you had car trouble.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,602

Welcome back, Brian. You were missed.

Sorry to hear you had car trouble.

Thanks, Asterisk. The good thing at least is it's nice to have a little down time at home. :smile:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Hi, gambo! How goes parenthood? I hope lots of smiles (and sleep where you can get it).

Brian, your earlier post inspired me to search out this prettiness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2M7E4ba_UI
    hedonist said:

Hi, gambo! How goes parenthood? I hope lots of smiles (and sleep where you can get it).

Brian, your earlier post inspired me to search out this prettiness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2M7E4ba_UI

I love that number, Hedo! If it hasn't yet, that whole video needs to be officially released. It looks great on the TV and sounds awesome fed through the stereo!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Welcome back Brian.
    I just saw that BB was banned is this correct? What was his violation?How long?

Damn,this sucks.Nart if your reading this stay cool dude.You will be missed while in time out.Peace.
    edited July 2015
    rr165892 said:

Welcome back Brian.
    I just saw that BB was banned is this correct? What was his violation?How long?

Damn,this sucks.Nart if your reading this stay cool dude.You will be missed while in time out.Peace.

Thanks, rr! Good to be back.

But, damn, if I find it true that bb was banned I'm going to have to go out to the garage and break some shit.

Edit: it appears to be true. F... excuse me, I need to go find my head phones. Breaking shit hurts my ears... :frowning:

Post edited by brianlux on

BB was banned for sure. For how long and why, I don't know. Sad stuff.
    Saw somewhere (here?) it's for two weeks - also have no idea why.
    hedonist said:

Oh shit, I smashed my garage stereo with a sledge hammer over a two week ban?? Haha, just kidding. I hope that's true about the two weeks though.

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Oh shit, I smashed my garage stereo with a sledge hammer over a two week ban?? Haha, just kidding. I hope that's true about the two weeks though.

Me too, B. Nart's a fine man.

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    WHAT???
    That can´t e true! Does someone know what´s happened with BB by now?
    :frowning:
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    brianlux said:

Hey friends, back from the Road Trip To Hell. Made it as far as southern Oregon and then car trouble. We had a few good days on the coast but that's about it. The best memory for this trip will be having a smoke and listening to Dinosaur Jr's "Ocean in the Way" through portable CD player headphones while watching waves crash on the rocks at Salt Point. One other good thing- Annie The Cat sure is glad to see us home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssno9DLqb8I

Bummer about the breakdown, been in that situation numerous of times before and it blows. So my ladyfriend and I will be going on west coast journey for 16 days up the Pacific Coast. We are flying to SF to watch my Cub's play the Giants, then renting a car and taking the Coast north up to Seattle. By Chance did you do any camping out there on Oregon Coast? If you did could you recommend some spots and any other must places to see on the Orgeon Coast or N. Cali/ Washington Coast? This will be my first trip to Seattle so if anyone knows of any of the must go to Rock clubs that have meaning for our best live Rock band on the planet, that would be very much appreciated
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,172
    Two days ago I went to try on a old cycling mountain bike shorts and the damn thing fell right off me. I said WTF, I got on the scale and I'm just over 200 lbs down from 220. The last two months I've been riding everyday to work I can't get enough. My lower half is rock hard, now upper half is another story. That's for the rest of July and August to solve.......STAY FIT EVERYBODY!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

muskydan said:

brianlux said:

Bummer about the breakdown, been in that situation numerous of times before and it blows. So my ladyfriend and I will be going on west coast journey for 16 days up the Pacific Coast. We are flying to SF to watch my Cub's play the Giants, then renting a car and taking the Coast north up to Seattle. By Chance did you do any camping out there on Oregon Coast? If you did could you recommend some spots and any other must places to see on the Orgeon Coast or N. Cali/ Washington Coast? This will be my first trip to Seattle so if anyone knows of any of the must go to Rock clubs that have meaning for our best live Rock band on the planet, that would be very much appreciated
    Cubbies and Giants at AT&T Ballpark! Excellent, Dan.

You're in for a treat driving up the coast from SF to Oregon! When we broke down we headed right for the coast and limped home in cooler weather- much cooler! Morning are often foggy on the coast but hopefully (probably) you'll get some clearing in the afternoons.

Having done all of the west coast HWY 1 and 101 coast route at one time or another and much of it a number of times, here are my suggestions for places to see between SF and Seattle:

Point Reyes National Sea Shore is awesome! Lots of places to hike and some of the roads go right to the beaches. Drakes Beach is great as is the light house out on Point Reyes (very often windy there though). Take the Golden Gate Bridge north and the through Mill Valley to HWY 1 north. It's a bit confusing going through Mill Valley but HWY 1 awesome. If you want to get to Pt Reyes more quickly you can stay on 101 North to exit 462B in Novato. Go west on Novato BLVD the southwest on Point Reyes Petaluma RD.

From Pt. Reyes if you stay on HWY 1 north you'll hit some great beaches on the Sonoma County coast like Shell Beach and Goat Rock.

Further north on HWY 1 FOrt Ross is interesting and just beyond that be sure to check out Salt Point State Park. Good camping there (though crowded on weekends), some excellent tide pooling and very often one of the best places to watch waves crash on the rocks (watch out for "sneaker waves" though. A number of people who get too close have been swept out to sea. Also, many places have rip currents so swimming in most coastal places is not advised!)

Further north you'll come to Point Arena which has a great light house at the end of Lighthouse Road with a fine tour in the afternoons and great views.

Again, north on HWY 1 be sure to check out the ultimate liberal politically correct yuppie Prius driver town of Mendocino, haha!! But seriously, as yuppie as it is, it's very scenic, has a great music festival (maybe still going when you get there, not sure) and great little shops. A good town for walking around where the shops are.

North of that is Fort Bragg, a nice fishing town and good place for gas and supplies etc.

Once you get to Rockport you need to head inland for a while unless you have 4WD and want to take the rugged Lost Coast route. On the other hand, if you go 1 to 101, just above Garberville is the Avenue of the Giants which takes you through awesome towering redwoods. It's an awesome route to take and easy driving.

Also more great Redwoods on 1 north of Orick.

Once you get to the Oregon coast you'll be on 1 the whole way and mostly close to the coast. Pretty much any of the coastal Oregon State Parks are excellent. Any of the light house are worth checking out and up north the dunes areas are interesting. Florence is a cool little town and has and excellent coffee roasting place downtown.

Further north, Tillamook is famous for excellent cheese and you can tour the Tillamook cheese factory. There's also a very good Aviation Museum just outside town.

Astoria is the last town you hit in OR and it has some interesting sights such as the Astoria Column.

The Washington coast is not as exciting as most of HWY1 is inland. If you take the long way to Seattle on 1 and up and around the Olympic Peninsula, be sure to check out the Hoh Rainforest on the west side and Hurricane Ridge outside of Port Angles on the Peninsula. If you go through Sequim hit Sunny Farms- the best roadside food stand anywhere! (my brother grows a lot of their produce :-) ).

Port Townsend is also very cool- one of my favorite towns up there!

OK- I've overwhelmed you. Have a great time! Keep us posted!

brianlux said:

muskydan said:

brianlux said:

Cubbies and Giants at AT&T Ballpark! Excellent, Dan.

You're in for a treat driving up the coast from SF to Oregon! When we broke down we headed right for the coast and limped home in cooler weather- much cooler! Morning are often foggy on the coast but hopefully (probably) you'll get some clearing in the afternoons.

Having done all of the west coast HWY 1 and 101 coast route at one time or another and much of it a number of times, here are my suggestions for places to see between SF and Seattle:

Point Reyes National Sea Shore is awesome! Lots of places to hike and some of the roads go right to the beaches. Drakes Beach is great as is the light house out on Point Reyes (very often windy there though). Take the Golden Gate Bridge north and the through Mill Valley to HWY 1 north. It's a bit confusing going through Mill Valley but HWY 1 awesome. If you want to get to Pt Reyes more quickly you can stay on 101 North to exit 462B in Novato. Go west on Novato BLVD the southwest on Point Reyes Petaluma RD.

From Pt. Reyes if you stay on HWY 1 north you'll hit some great beaches on the Sonoma County coast like Shell Beach and Goat Rock.

Further north on HWY 1 FOrt Ross is interesting and just beyond that be sure to check out Salt Point State Park. Good camping there (though crowded on weekends), some excellent tide pooling and very often one of the best places to watch waves crash on the rocks (watch out for "sneaker waves" though. A number of people who get too close have been swept out to sea. Also, many places have rip currents so swimming in most coastal places is not advised!)

Further north you'll come to Point Arena which has a great light house at the end of Lighthouse Road with a fine tour in the afternoons and great views.

Again, north on HWY 1 be sure to check out the ultimate liberal politically correct yuppie Prius driver town of Mendocino, haha!! But seriously, as yuppie as it is, it's very scenic, has a great music festival (maybe still going when you get there, not sure) and great little shops. A good town for walking around where the shops are.

North of that is Fort Bragg, a nice fishing town and good place for gas and supplies etc.

Once you get to Rockport you need to head inland for a while unless you have 4WD and want to take the rugged Lost Coast route. On the other hand, if you go 1 to 101, just above Garberville is the Avenue of the Giants which takes you through awesome towering redwoods. It's an awesome route to take and easy driving.

Also more great Redwoods on 1 north of Orick.

Once you get to the Oregon coast you'll be on 1 the whole way and mostly close to the coast. Pretty much any of the coastal Oregon State Parks are excellent. Any of the light house are worth checking out and up north the dunes areas are interesting. Florence is a cool little town and has and excellent coffee roasting place downtown.

Further north, Tillamook is famous for excellent cheese and you can tour the Tillamook cheese factory. There's also a very good Aviation Museum just outside town.

Astoria is the last town you hit in OR and it has some interesting sights such as the Astoria Column.

The Washington coast is not as exciting as most of HWY1 is inland. If you take the long way to Seattle on 1 and up and around the Olympic Peninsula, be sure to check out the Hoh Rainforest on the west side and Hurricane Ridge outside of Port Angles on the Peninsula. If you go through Sequim hit Sunny Farms- the best roadside food stand anywhere! (my brother grows a lot of their produce :-) ).

Port Townsend is also very cool- one of my favorite towns up there!

OK- I've overwhelmed you. Have a great time! Keep us posted!

Holy crap, thank you so much for taking the time to relay that great info Brian. I am so stoked for this trip . Can't wait to get out Of Chicago and get to the Ocean
    muskydan said:

Holy crap, thank you so much for taking the time to relay that great info Brian. I am so stoked for this trip . Can't wait to get out Of Chicago and get to the Ocean

Happy to do it, Dan. Keep us posted on how your trip goes and have a great time!

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    g under p said:

Two days ago I went to try on a old cycling mountain bike shorts and the damn thing fell right off me. I said WTF, I got on the scale and I'm just over 200 lbs down from 220. The last two months I've been riding everyday to work I can't get enough. My lower half is rock hard, now upper half is another story. That's for the rest of July and August to solve.......STAY FIT EVERYBODY!

Peace

Way to go g under p! I've also been cycling to work almost every day; I started with one day a week in January and have increased to at least 4, some weeks 5 days. I feel great and my endurance has definitely improved. I don't like gyms so if you come up with an upper body workout that doesn't involve the gym, let me know.

In two week's I'll be on my 4 day cycle/camping tour - wish me luck!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

g under p said:

Peace

Way to go g under p! I've also been cycling to work almost every day; I started with one day a week in January and have increased to at least 4, some weeks 5 days. I feel great and my endurance has definitely improved. I don't like gyms so if you come up with an upper body workout that doesn't involve the gym, let me know.

But a kayak! Few hundred dollars, great upper body workout, and nothing is as serene as floating so intimately.
    Dan-o,you have to hit Ecola creek state park at Cannon Beach in Oregon about an hour west of Portland.Great rocky beach.Its where they filmed Goonies.Some great hiking in the park with fantastic views.There is a haunted Lodge called Ecola Creek Lodge at base of park.Place is creepy as shit in a old Route 66 way or was when I stayed there.(We didn't make it thru the night)

When your done at the coast(Astoria which Brian mentioned is just 1/2 hr north of Cannon beach),Head to Portland if you never been.If you like food and beer it's a truly great and fun city.(Just beware of Hipsters) Use the city as a base for a day or 2 ,and drive to Columbia River Gorge and go to Multinomah falls and Eagle Creek State Park.Wild cliff side hike behind a waterfall at Eagle Creek.Gets the blood pumping.You can grab a great lunch out in the Gorge as well,plus it's a bad ass ride with that "DB Cooper" type of woodsy scenery.

In Seattle,I hear the Crocodille is a good Rock Club,also the Off Ramp
    Granted I have back problems, but goddamn, you people put me to shame!

May you be kept safe on your rides and drives :peace:
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    rgambs said:

g under p said:

Peace

But a kayak! Few hundred dollars, great upper body workout, and nothing is as serene as floating so intimately.
    Yes, I love kayaking, but then I'd need to buy a roof rack to carry it, and where would I get the time (going out kayaking takes way more time than biking for a couple of hours).
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    rr165892 said:

Dan-o,you have to hit Ecola creek state park at Cannon Beach in Oregon about an hour west of Portland.Great rocky beach.Its where they filmed Goonies.Some great hiking in the park with fantastic views.There is a haunted Lodge called Ecola Creek Lodge at base of park.Place is creepy as shit in a old Route 66 way or was when I stayed there.(We didn't make it thru the night)

When your done at the coast(Astoria which Brian mentioned is just 1/2 hr north of Cannon beach),Head to Portland if you never been.If you like food and beer it's a truly great and fun city.(Just beware of Hipsters) Use the city as a base for a day or 2 ,and drive to Columbia River Gorge and go to Multinomah falls and Eagle Creek State Park.Wild cliff side hike behind a waterfall at Eagle Creek.Gets the blood pumping.You can grab a great lunch out in the Gorge as well,plus it's a bad ass ride with that "DB Cooper" type of woodsy scenery.

In Seattle,I hear the Crocodille is a good Rock Club,also the Off Ramp

Sounds killer…My research for this trip has been minimal to none due to work schedule, but you guys are sure painting a tasty picture. Thanks for the tips and i I be sure to bring my new hat..lol

rgambs said:

g under p said:

Peace

Yes, I love kayaking, but then I'd need to buy a roof rack to carry it, and where would I get the time (going out kayaking takes way more time than biking for a couple of hours).
    I guess I take my proximity to water for granted. If you are within 20 minutes of a launch ramp then a few hours is plenty of time! Roof rack isn't really necessary, SUV, van, or truck makes it a snap. I used to strap it directly to the top of my Corsica... 1 lateral strap really tight and a single anchor strap to the front and back, it won't go anywhere.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    I haven't been to this end of the Forums in a while!! Hope everyone is doing well.. I just got a bad ass job, with a GREAT Company, where I'll eventually be able to travel!! Woo hoo! And then today, my brother and niece get into DIA, and I get to see them
    For two weeks!! It's been an emotional week!! Anyhow, just stopping in to say hi!

How's baby Gambs doing ??

I haven't been to this end of the Forums in a while!! Hope everyone is doing well.. I just got a bad ass job, with a GREAT Company, where I'll eventually be able to travel!! Woo hoo! And then today, my brother and niece get into DIA, and I get to see them
    For two weeks!! It's been an emotional week!! Anyhow, just stopping in to say hi!

How's baby Gambs doing ??

Very cool, Tree! Congratulations!

So one of my key employees who is one of my field supervisors moonlights as head of security at our local live nation venue,Corsl Sky Amphitheater.
    tonight is the Kid Rock/Foriegner show.Of course I'm going,but he comes to me and tells me they have received a memo from other venues that Kid Rock comes running out with a rebel flag and that has caused issues in the crowd.Extra security has been brought in and they are expecting a bunch of "southern pride"supporters there flags and all.
    My wife is like why the hell is he doing that,this is stupid."I'm not down with that".I agree why does he feel this is important?
    whatcha all think?I think he may loose some fans.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,172
    rr165892 said:

So one of my key employees who is one of my field supervisors moonlights as head of security at our local live nation venue,Corsl Sky Amphitheater.
    tonight is the Kid Rock/Foriegner show.Of course I'm going,but he comes to me and tells me they have received a memo from other venues that Kid Rock comes running out with a rebel flag and that has caused issues in the crowd.Extra security has been brought in and they are expecting a bunch of "southern pride"supporters there flags and all.
    My wife is like why the hell is he doing that,this is stupid."I'm not down with that".I agree why does he feel this is important?
    whatcha all think?I think he may loose some fans.

Funny rr, I joined la fitness on a trial basis and took my ex girlfriend spinning class today. Great class she had, she's one of the best trainers in Palm Beach County. After class she told me what great shape I'm in and so on. Anyway she tells she's going to that show tonight with a girlfriend I told her have a great time. I'm riding to work as usual and if I leave early enough I'll hang outside and listen for awhile like the Def Leppard show. I need to find who are the bands coming to whatever that amphitheater is called now.

As for the flag I gather it's a way for KR to get the crowd going, I don't think it's a necessity. Now if a fan in the crowd tosses him one of and he decides to wave it around that's one thing but to sort of force it on a crowd that some may not care for it is another story. He does however draw fans who many supports the flag and all it represents. He's not my kind of act but if the ticket was free I'd go.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)