The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    rgambs said:

On Facebook I am Levi Gambs, look me up! I am friends with Mr. Lux, and I would be honored to be friends with you as well. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't, but I believe there is real respect between us.

The friend request you just received is from me through my wife's facebook account.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I love this thread, and I love this band. And this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5XaqYENAsM
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,600
    hedonist said:

I love this thread, and I love this band. And this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5XaqYENAsM

:plus_one:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Cheers, B.

The week started off weird for ME - my tiny little bubble - and then I, like others, was slapped into and then humbled by the beyond.

"please don't make me explain - don't matter anyway"

Amen :peace:
    hedonist said:

Cheers, B.

The week started off weird for ME - my tiny little bubble - and then I, like others, was slapped into and then humbled by the beyond.

"please don't make me explain - don't matter anyway"

Amen :peace:

Sound like quite the roller coaster ride, H. Wishing you and all here smoother sailing this weekend.

Hey, I like this guy: :peace:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Gambsy,other then wishing you much joy on this your first Father's Day weekend,I wanted to ask if you happened to watch the premier of Alone on History channel?

Its about 10 dudes who only get ten items a piece and are dropped on secluded stretches of Vancouver Island.No camera crew,total isolation.Whoever has the biggest balls and lasts the longest wins 500k.They record using Game cameras and selfie cameras.

3 country dudes from the Deep South,Oh,Ia,Pa,Ma,ny and 2 Canadians.My $$ on the Fl guy of course.Check it out.Very cool.1 didn't make it a day.Bear was tracking him.cool shit.
    My wife is going to say " you know this is my account, right?" I will just laugh and say "you haven't not liked any of them yet."
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rr165892 said:

Gambsy,other then wishing you much joy on this your first Father's Day weekend,I wanted to ask if you happened to watch the premier of Alone on History channel?

Its about 10 dudes who only get ten items a piece and are dropped on secluded stretches of Vancouver Island.No camera crew,total isolation.Whoever has the biggest balls and lasts the longest wins 500k.They record using Game cameras and selfie cameras.

3 country dudes from the Deep South,Oh,Ia,Pa,Ma,ny and 2 Canadians.My $$ on the Fl guy of course.Check it out.Very cool.1 didn't make it a day.Bear was tracking him.cool shit.

That sounds really awesome, I am a big fan of those type of shows. The sad thing is they usually don't make it to DVD and I haven't had a TV subscription since 2010.
    My money is on the Mainer, north folks are hardy for reals!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

My wife is going to say " you know this is my account, right?" I will just laugh and say "you haven't not liked any of them yet."

Hahaha don't worry I won't blow up her feed with idiotic stuff, mostly I just post a kiddo pic here and there and do much more observing than posting.
    You have a beautiful family Scott!
    rgambs said:

Hahaha don't worry I won't blow up her feed with idiotic stuff, mostly I just post a kiddo pic here and there and do much more observing than posting.
    Thank you. That kid of yours has one hell of a head of hair!!

rgambs said:

We were blessed with a stinkin cutey, very calm and healthy so we are super lucky.
    I keep telling him to make the most of that hair, because if he takes after Papa it won't last lol
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

We were blessed with a stinkin cutey, very calm and healthy so we are super lucky.
    I keep telling him to make the most of that hair, because if he takes after Papa it won't last lol
    I wear a hat all of the time because my David Letterman hair line is going the wrong way as well.

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I wear a hat all of the time because my David Letterman hair line is going the wrong way as well.
    I wouldn't mind it so much if I wasn't a Saquatch from the ears down! I'm like Woolly Willy when you pull it all off his head to his face lol
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I wouldn't mind it so much if I wasn't a Saquatch from the ears down! I'm like Woolly Willy when you pull it all off his head to his face lol
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    brianlux said:

Sound like quite the roller coaster ride, H. Wishing you and all here smoother sailing this weekend.

I so love this thread - thank you for starting it, Brian.

My earlier comment spoke to how petty some things are (how petty I can be) when put into perspective. Yes, it's all relative but at the same time need to not only be aware but let go of it. My stupid silly emotions were essentially over nothing. Lesson learned.

To the last string of posts, thank YOU! I remember that Wooly dude magnet game.

Here's a bit of JP kicking ass, just for the hell of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QATICdf7b-0
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

I so love this thread - thank you for starting it, Brian.

My earlier comment spoke to how petty some things are (how petty I can be) when put into perspective. Yes, it's all relative but at the same time need to not only be aware but let go of it. My stupid silly emotions were essentially over nothing. Lesson learned.

To the last string of posts, thank YOU! I remember that Wooly dude magnet game.

Here's a bit of JP kicking ass, just for the hell of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QATICdf7b-0
    Thanks for the kind words, Hedo. Just got back from my bro-in-laws memorial gathering (it was wonderful) and this was awesome to come home to read.

:hug:

So nice that you saw it as wonderful, B. Texted my BIL earlier with a dad's day message and just heard back - he and the family are having dinner at the iconic Musso & Franks on Hollywood Blvd.

That's how it's done!

(and reminds me of the Kinks song)

Been an unexpectedly melancholy day - sure you had (hope you had) a sweet vibe mixed with that "long road" feeling.

Salut, friend.
    hedonist said:

So nice that you saw it as wonderful, B. Texted my BIL earlier with a dad's day message and just heard back - he and the family are having dinner at the iconic Musso & Franks on Hollywood Blvd.

That's how it's done!

(and reminds me of the Kinks song)

Been an unexpectedly melancholy day - sure you had (hope you had) a sweet vibe mixed with that "long road" feeling.

Salut, friend.

Yes, Hedo, melancholy is such a mixed bag of sweet and sorrowful. I hope the sweetness of good memories and happy days has carried you through the day, my friend.

lots of quality love,support and friendship on these here interwebs.An oasis of goodness when most needed.Well Done.
    May this week be awesome for everyone.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    I love this place. A place of solace and comfort, love and hope.
    So my wife and I are thinking about radically changing our lives now that Simon Gumby is out and healthy...and agreeable lol
    We are thinking about buying an RV instead of a house and living seasonally like old folks. Winter in Tucson, summer in Colorado, spring and fall in the east here...We just can't seem to be happy settled in one place for too long.
    Her family would be heartbroken but... I dunno, it's an attractive thought.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,172
    I listened to this song on my bicycle ride home from work and others from Joe. I had to pick up my cadence in that they were some ominous clouds ahead that were filled with rain. As I arrived at my door it started to pour. I made it though.....smiles.

http://youtu.be/KCxGc1P0Eow

Clouds Race Across The Sky....Joe Satriani
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

rgambs said:

So my wife and I are thinking about radically changing our lives now that Simon Gumby is out and healthy...and agreeable lol
    We are thinking about buying an RV instead of a house and living seasonally like old folks. Winter in Tucson, summer in Colorado, spring and fall in the east here...We just can't seem to be happy settled in one place for too long.

Sounds fairy tale esque.I guess now the time if your work allows.Once little man Gambs gets school age your locked in brother.
    A buddy of mine just did that.It lasted 4 months on road.They settled in Portland for another 4 months then couldn't wait to get back here to sweaty Florida.Had fun they said but it was tough on their kid.
    rgambs said:

That's a huge decision to make, Gambs AKA Mr. and Mrs. and Little Gumby (haha-- always been a Gumby fan!), especially with the responsibility of a young child. And yet, this is interesting because not too long ago we a young couple and their infant in the bookstore recently and my wife- with the ever-wonderful social skills she possesses- got to talking to them and they told us about how they recently bought a trailer and are going to live and travel all over the country just as you are thinking of doing. I asked my wife this morning what she thought and she said, "This is the best time for them to do that." I said, "Really? Why?" She said, "It would be a good time if they have an income source that would allow them to do that and are not strapped with a mortgage and don't need to worry about retirement yet..." and then a longing sort of seeped into her voice because that is something she would like to do but we really aren't in a position to do that-- besides that fact that I'm getting to be a bit of an old stick-in-the-mud and less inclined to want to travel a lot, haha! I shouldn't laugh- she might ending up hitching a ride with you folks, LOL.

But seriously, if you can afford to do so and can work out your plans for retirement somewhere further down the line, it might suit you folks well. I moved around a lot when I was younger and have live in several parts of my native state of California as well as two years in Western New York State, four years in Washington State, and stayed in Southern Oregon for a while and I value all of those experiences.

Keep us posted- it sounds fascinating!

Ryan, we aren't really planning on sending Simon to public school anyways. I know a young gentlemen who wasn't "schooled" at all, home or public, and he is the most mature teenager I've ever met. He is more knowledgeable and capable than I am. My best school teacher left our school to go to all alternative school in Harrisburg, PA called the Circle School and it opened our eyes to methods alternative to the Socratic method- based totalitarian classroom. They don't have classes or curricula, they free range learn from each other and their advisors. It is amazing, they consistently outscore traditional students and their level of maturity and competence is staggering.
    As an optometrist, Becca can work anywhere anytime, Lenscrafters and other similar corporate gigs operate on 3 month leases as a standard.
    We want to get the most from life and We aren't sold on the conventional wisdom of how to live. It is at odds with my desire to homestead though, we have to choose one or the other. Big choice.

It's nice to bounce it around here in a place with unconventional peeps, her family will think we are insane if/when we drop something like this on them. Straight as they come.
    Time for me to make some kielbasa and fried taters...when Mama gets home I have to mow, prune and stake my maters and pick about 2 gallons of wild black raspberries. Yeehaw!
    If we hit the road I will be doing a Moving Train tour, coming to meet all you fine folks and availing myself of your hospitality!
    Florida, Dali, Texas, SC...too bad we don't have any Mainers posting here lol
    edited June 2015
    rgambs said:

If we hit the road I will be doing a Moving Train tour, coming to meet all you fine folks and availing myself of your hospitality!

Your Always welcome down our way.
    We raised three good ones,so if you need a night out you got a sitter if needed.

I have zero problem with homeschooling as long as certain social skills/events(Dances,football games,chess club,etc) are acquired elsewhere,and I believe most private schools and some district campuses will allow homeschoolers to participate in sports.Both club and varsity(for a fee)At least here they do which I think is cool.
    I would rent an Rv for a couple weeks.Hit the east coast or something and give it a test run.If you yearn for more,make an investment.If not,it will be a fun adventure and then go buy a home,plant a garden and re up on your cable subscription for fuck sake.
    rgambs said:

You can't skip Colorado!!!

rgambs said:

I surely wouldn't! My mother, uncles, and cousins live in Fort Collins!
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I surely wouldn't! My mother, uncles, and cousins live in Fort Collins!
    Sweet! You'll have to let me know when you end uP out this way!