The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited May 2015
    Good morning all.Coffee is brewing,hope everyone has a super chill weekend.

Mrs And I are on vacation this week in London.What a cool place so steeped in history.Everything comes with potatoes here and finding a true American cup of coffee is tough going.Im coming to terms with the fact that eating starchy carbs with every meal Is just something I will have to live with and we can fix eating habits again next week.Instead of a cheat day,I'll just have a cheat week.

Went to the 2 true Rock and Roll bars last night in the Soho area.Crobar and Soho Rocks.Both cool and unlike any rock bar I'm used to in the states.No bar stools in this town.Everyone stands at the bar.Very small rooms.Packed.

Music at Soho Rocks was awesome.First 5 bands played as we walked in Nirvana,AIC,Rage,PJ,Audioslave.Nice.
    But it was like walking into a 1986 high school.Dudes in Ratt shirts and whitesnake type boots,lol lots of denim.

I'm not sure they got the memo that smoking will kill you here.Jeez,everyone is fucking smoking.ehh
    If anyone has visited here and has some non typical tourist stuff that we should check out,I would love to hear about.Going to check out Abbey Road today I think.
    Thanks and cheerio.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Hey rr...welcome in Europe!
    I hope you will have a great week there in London!
    Woohoo, what would I give to be at this bar... great music and just the feeling of old times...
    perfect! Ok, maybe just for a weekend but hey!
    We need a bar like this here...old style, great music and no smoking lol
    Ok I think it´s just because we don´t have many bars here and if they do not play this sort of music...

So have fun !!!
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    Enjoy your vacay rr! I would LOVE to see London one day.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,600
    London! Abbey Road! Cool, rr- have a great trip!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I bet you and the Mrs. are having a blast, rr! Cheat week indeed.

Visiting Abbey Road is among my most beloved life moments. Hope you can make it there.

I also recommend touring Churchill's bunker set-up; a bit heavy but if you're into it, fascinating.

Also dug the Chinese and Indian food there, not to mention all the little pubs. Plus I smoke(d), so that didn't really bother me =)
    Thx guys.
    We did the bunker yesterday Hedo.Churchill was a bad ass no doubt.haha he had a velour purple onesie jump suit aka like Elvis.Sweet!

Got stuck in the shopping thing today and I was the bag mule.Still loads of fun.
    Kce8, the peeps here for the most part have been very welcoming.The diversity here in Europe is so much more international then even NYC.

We have noticed there is a undertone of discrimination amongst some locals, cab drivers,bartenders,clerks,etc toward middle easterners.There is a very large demographic here and I'm not so sure that it's going to get better.Not trying to bring a heavy to the lounge,sorry guys it's just something my wife and I both noticed brewing.I guess I really don't see that back at home.Is it that way by you and the rest of Europe kce8?

Didn't make Abbey Road today,going to try tomorrow.Heading to Camden to see a killer cover band called Metal Worx.some local dudes who are supposed to kill it.
    Have a great weekend all.
    Well rr, there is so much shit happening here these times about the Middle East and the refugee problematics! It´s not easy to get it clear sometimes.
    I think after all this war and waves of terror people just get afraid of how it will make an impact on their own countries. Since we have to work out this huge refugee problems people realize that we cannot let a few coast states get manage that at their own. We need to find a way in Europe. But as every state is so different in Europe it´s hard to figure out how to handle that.
    Great Britains government for example has a different meaning about to apportion quotas as Germanys government. So many Europeans are fearful if we can handle this problems, will have more terrorism here or even if the refugees will get our jobs and how this all will get financed. Then there are the cultural fears. Maybe folks are more frightened and sceptic about foreigners nowadays. And it stopps you feeling empathy for them.
    Don´t know what exactly is the reason in London but after all what I knew is every state tries to get involved to a minimum. People are worried and don´t look behind the walls.
    But I didn´t really expect that it´s so clear to sense in London.
    Maybe I´m totally wrong and it´s just another problem.

Another example is the refugee problematic here in Germany. Where I live we have made totally different experiences based on how we treat the people. On one side there is a barrack with 700 refugees and it was the worst for all. People got roughly treated by some guys of the security and the city had huge problems with a great deal of crime.
    On the other side we have learned through that and in my collective community (only 20 km away) we try to welcome the refugees and give the families apartments and a person who is there for them to handle the new life here. Even if they cannot stay they need assistance in the new country and culture. That´s not easy - for nobody. I try to help because all I need to know is what I would hope for if I were in their situation! You can´t put them into barracks for month without work or confidence and do hope everything will go well. That´s stupid. You have to integrate them and not treat them like animals.
    And we luckily can say that we don´t have any problems in our collective community with them which are worth to mention. It´s just the opposide, you can´t imagine the gratefulness and hope they show us!
    I have to admit that this is not the fact everywhere in Germany. We have enough problems with people who don´t treat others right. But it shows that it can work. And that it´s the only way. This is only a small triumph. The main problems are even still not fixed in outlines.
    I just read that 75% of all refugees worldwide died in the Mediterranien Sea in 2014! WTF !

People are frightened, everywhere and at all sides!!!

Well, I am sorry to mislead the lounge... I just wanted to make a short comment but it just sputtered out of me... please forgive me. I usually don´t write that much.

Have a nice evening Loungers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7yEqPMlQH0
    Thx for sharing kce8.We saw some of Germany while watching the Amazing Race.My wife really thinks it should be our next Vacation next year.Im all in,you guys have great beer and good food.Ill keep you posted.Plus I think I can rock some lederhousen.lol
    Yeah, kce, don't apologize for writing about this. I had no idea of these issues.

LOVED Germany and the people of my fatherland. So warm and hospitable, and yes, the food!

(and rr, I used to own a pair of lederhosen - sage green suede and I too rocked them =) )
    Haha, the only Lederhose I got in my life was the long black one for riding my motorbike ;) lol

Hedonist you are coming from Germany? I didn´t know that! Great!
    On my father's side, yes - Augsburg, specifically. I hope to visit there one day!
    You guys are so good about giving feed back on music. Would really like to hear what you guys think about Jacob's song in the "Check out my friend Jacob's new song!" thread in "Other Music". :smile:

http://jacobduranmusic.bandcamp.com/track/glimmer-of-hope
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Hey B! It's not really my type of music but I can see the tie-in with the tags.

(I hope that came off OK; notes are so subjective)
    Hey, no worries! Thanks for checking out Jacob's song, H! :smile:

• whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    brianlux said:

You guys are so good about giving feed back on music. Would really like to hear what you guys think about Jacob's song in the "Check out my friend Jacob's new song!" thread in "Other Music". :smile:

http://jacobduranmusic.bandcamp.com/track/glimmer-of-hope

Really beautiful! Very well orchestrated!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Not, y'all should see the main PJ Facebook group, what a shitshow... It will definitely make you appreciate this place!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

Not, y'all should see the main PJ Facebook group, what a shitshow... It will definitely make you appreciate this place!

It's crazy over there! You have to go in there with a bullet proof vest on!

I just took another peak there. Now they're complaining about the suit. What next- wrong sox? Uneven beard trim? Bad TV breath? Yikes! Compared to there it like a sunny afternoon peace parade here.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    brianlux said:

I just took another peak there. Now they're complaining about the suit. What next- wrong sox? Uneven beard trim? Bad TV breath? Yikes! Compared to there it like a sunny afternoon peace parade here.

Oh, this is about the appearance on Letterman last night? Is anyone there talking botox? :smiley:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

brianlux said:

Oh, this is about the appearance on Letterman last night? Is anyone there talking botox? :smiley:
    Not yet but, hey, wanna join my new band? (See "Other Music" LOL!)

edited May 2015

brianlux said:

Ha! They say botox, I say NOtox! Hundred bucks says Ed'll resemble a cross of Neil Young and David Crosby as he strolls through life. AND I bet the fucker will embrace it, as he should.

It's ridiculous and pretty sad how focused some are on image, appearing youthful, and other inconsequenialities. I will never do that shit (injections and the like) and hope to proudly wear this untouched face of mine among the sea of weird-looking visages floating around in, as Morrison called it, Fantastic LA =)

Also just realized I have yet to watch the clip itself!

*edit - apparently "inconsequentiality" is not a recognized word. How do I put a trademark on that?
    Post edited by hedonist on
    ^^^ Good new word there, Hedo. Lay claim to it!

And check out the Eddie clip- it's good!

I did. Happy camper here!
    Also, Ed really needs to address this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPLFfFQ6M48
    Feeling very heavy hearted today. My sisters husband died this morning.

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    I'm sorry for your loss, Brian. I hope you and your wife can find some peace in his passing, knowing that he is no longer suffering.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

I'm sorry for your loss, Brian. I hope you and your wife can find some peace in his passing, knowing that he is no longer suffering.

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated.

Condolences and warm thoughts to you and your family, Brian.
    Very sorry to hear that Bri.Best wishes and condolences for you and your family.
  • My condolences, I hope your sister will be okay.
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16