Options

EUROPEAN TIX PRESALE FORUM DIALOGUE WITH PJ MGR KELLY CURTIS

Comments

• Options
    RE4790 wrote:
    But letting Europeans have the chance for Europe first, North Americans for their part of their world is reasonable.

Tell that to someone in Turkey or Israel or Cuba or Russia or South Africa, where the band will never play. The funny thing about equality is that it can sometimes be viewed as 'unfair', even though by definition it is the most fair you can get. All fans deserve an equal shot at tickets for whatever show they want. That's what is truly fair to all no discrimination or punishment based on where you live. No PJ fan has more right to attend a show than any other PJ fan, whether you live across the street from the venue or in a country they have never played.
    I still think that members first and foremost can buy tickets to 1 show through 10C is the most fair. As many fans as possible should be able to get a chance of fanclub tix, and 10 people getting 1 pair of tickets to 10 shows are more fair than 1 person getting 10 pair of tickets to 10 shows.

I see the point here, but this greatly diminishes the value of membership. Also this will cause a giant clusterf*ck if everyone picks the same show (Berlin, MSG, Seattle, etc). Plus what happens if more dates are added after you already picked your one show?

Yeah, you're correct about the region thing. I'll take that back. Did not think about them not playing asia, africa and other areas.

I still think 1 show per member (on a timelimit, tickets being left after some time will open up for all) should be thought over.

If more shows are added? There are general sales... You can allways get a ticket. But I think the fanclubtickets should be spread as much as possible. It's fair. Almost communist-fair ;) But, maybe this is not a problem... but still... 9 people being left out and 1 guy having tix to 10 shows feels a bit unfair.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    There were plenty of Europeans sitting in front of me at Alpine Valley, I am okay with that... I see no reason why I am more special then anyone else.

No regional assignments are needed.
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795

I still think 1 show per member (on a timelimit, tickets being left after some time will open up for all) should be thought over.

If more shows are added? There are general sales... You can allways get a ticket. But I think the fanclubtickets should be spread as much as possible. It's fair. Almost communist-fair ;) But, maybe this is not a problem... but still... 9 people being left out and 1 guy having tix to 10 shows feels a bit unfair.

I agree the right thing to do is spread the love, but I really don't know how the band could improve on this. If everyone gets a shot at every show, and people try for multiple shows, the inevitable result will be some people getting more tickets than others.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    Diniaz wrote:
    PJ played in Italy every time they came to Europe (except for 2009 mini-tour). They always sold out in Italy. Why not this time mr. Curtis? Is it your decision or there are other problems?

I would wager it's because of Italy's financial crisis. PJ is skipping all of PIIGS and I refuse to believe that's a coincidence.

Maybe, but I'd say that if you've followed Pearl Jam the last 5 years, they have not toured more than 15 shows at a time. So, they do the standard Euro shows they are used to, and then replace Italy/Spain/ Portugal with Scandinavian shows. I really don't think it is the financial crisis, it is that Pearl Jam does not like to tour that much.

In the US they will always play New York, Boston, Philly, LA, San Diego, and Chicago. Then, they fill in spots that they haven't hit in a while (like the Kansas City, St. Louis and Indianapolis shows in 2010, and the Columbia SC, Tampa, West Palm Beach shows in 2008).
  • Options
    cathed wrote:
    Hi all - I am a long-time lurker on these boards and have been a huge Pearl Jam fan for over 15 years.

Though this ticketing fiasco is just that - a fiasco - the 'want want gimme gimme' attitude displayed throughout by some disgruntled fans is beyond comprehension. Of course, I want tickets. Of course, I want to see my favourite band and would travel vast distances to see them. Of course, I would like my 10c membership to entitle me to get tickets a little more freely than the casual fan. Do I expect any of these things? No. I think the fine line between expectation and greed has been severely blurred, and in a couple of cases, erased.

Kelly Curtis doesn't have to explain anything to us. 10c don't have to explain anything to us. Common courtesy would dictate that an explanation would be warranted, but it isn't our right. We all of us hold moral objections in our lives - be it that you're vegetarian, that you wont shop in certain shops etc - and PJ stand true to theirs. This does not deserve criticism, it deserves applause. We should not be rallying against PJ/Kelly/10c just because they're bucking the trend of modern convenience through certain aspects of their business. Personally, I would rather the band stood true to their beliefs than caved due to some tickets and some fans using overzealous negative language - in fact, I'd be gutted.

PJ treat their fans in an exceptional manner and always have done. I, for one, am grateful for this. If I get to see them again, incredible! If I don't, it's not going to change my life irrevocably - there will be a next time. It can be frustrating sometimes, given how accustomed we all are to the methods of other bands/sellers, but Pearl Jam are Pearl Jam...I wouldn't want things any other way. None of us were forced to sit at our computers for 24hrs - we did so out of choice for the band we all adore.

I agree with most of your post and sentiment. It is ridiculous that people are asking for free stuff from this.

But, we all pay membership dues to be in the fan club. We all buy the albums, vinyls, t-shirts, tickets, water bottles, backpacks, etc... So while we don't have a right to an explanation, it is not absurd to ask for one.

Up until a few weeks ago I thought most people on here were whiners and complainers, but at some point when 80% of the posters are critical of the club, something is off. I am fine with the fan club as it stands right now, except for the ticket sales.

People on here hate Wal-Mart and Amazon, but they expect Wal-Mart and Amazon prices and service from the Ten Club. That is not going to happen. Shipping will be slower, and the goods will be more expensive. That is why Wal-Mart and Amazon are worth billions and mom and pop shops are going out of business.
  • Options

I agree with most of your post and sentiment. It is ridiculous that people are asking for free stuff from this.

But, we all pay membership dues to be in the fan club. We all buy the albums, vinyls, t-shirts, tickets, water bottles, backpacks, etc... So while we don't have a right to an explanation, it is not absurd to ask for one.

Up until a few weeks ago I thought most people on here were whiners and complainers, but at some point when 80% of the posters are critical of the club, something is off. I am fine with the fan club as it stands right now, except for the ticket sales.

People on here hate Wal-Mart and Amazon, but they expect Wal-Mart and Amazon prices and service from the Ten Club. That is not going to happen. Shipping will be slower, and the goods will be more expensive. That is why Wal-Mart and Amazon are worth billions and mom and pop shops are going out of business.

It is not absurd to ask for an explanation - like I said, common courtesy should prevail. However, this has all boiled down to want and greed and has gone far beyond the requests for an explanation. Whether we're being fed bulls**t lines or not, nothing 10c/KC say will be accepted as gospel and that has nothing to do with the length of time between the problem and the explanation. No explanation was ever going to satisfy. This problem doesn't solely hang over the heads of 10c, and whilst I accept (and, I would assume, 10c do too) that people always need a scapegoat, that doesn't automatically serve as a prerequisite for compensation. I am not a member of the 10c for the sole reason of getting fan club tickets...giving £30 to PJ every year is something I want to do out of dedication.

These types of clubs used to be run by folk sitting in an office, gluing stuff on A4 paper, photocopying and mailing out by hand. To be frank, those days were better all round - as far as I can see, the convenience of the internet has only served to enhance greed.
  • Options
    cathed wrote:

It is not absurd to ask for an explanation - like I said, common courtesy should prevail. However, this has all boiled down to want and greed and has gone far beyond the requests for an explanation. Whether we're being fed bulls**t lines or not, nothing 10c/KC say will be accepted as gospel and that has nothing to do with the length of time between the problem and the explanation. No explanation was ever going to satisfy. This problem doesn't solely hang over the heads of 10c, and whilst I accept (and, I would assume, 10c do too) that people always need a scapegoat, that doesn't automatically serve as a prerequisite for compensation. I am not a member of the 10c for the sole reason of getting fan club tickets...giving £30 to PJ every year is something I want to do out of dedication.

These types of clubs used to be run by folk sitting in an office, gluing stuff on A4 paper, photocopying and mailing out by hand. To be frank, those days were better all round - as far as I can see, the convenience of the internet has only served to enhance greed.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Some people are taking this harder than others.
    For a vegetarian, Rents, you're a fuckin' EVIL shot!
  • Options
    cathed wrote:
    I am not a member of the 10c for the sole reason of getting fan club tickets...giving £30 to PJ every year is something I want to do out of dedication.

:eh: :wtf: :crazy: :lol:
  • Options
    big mickbig mick Hull UK Posts: 773
    redrock wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    I can only do 1 gig - do I feel hard done? Nope. That's the way things go - there are other things in life that require my attention!

:clap: If only more people on here had your insight, Rita.

I'll be seeing you in Manchester then? :mrgreen:

If you're doing night 1! :mrgreen:

Edit: And I owe you a drink or two!!! ;)
    We're doing night 1, got shitty seats at the back, but still excited! See you all there, piss up round Mananchester first!
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    Potentially going to be selling seated tickets for night 1 if people are keen?
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    bobitalia wrote:
    Hi Kelly.....thanks a lot for taking the time to answer all our questions here!
    Here's my thought....
    I think in order to have tickets sales running smoothly with no server issues or crashes over the future, maybe the best thing would be to allow fan club tickets (1 pair per member as usual) only for people living in the country where the show will take place, that way for sure there would be less traffic on the server (The billing address of the credit card used to buy the ten club seats will determine country of residence). For example, only people from England could have bought tickets for the Manchester gig, as opposed to people from all over the globe.
    If the tickets put aside for ten club members are not sold out after the pre sale, only then fan club members from other countries or continents would be allowed to buy these remaining tickets.
    I think it would really suck if Pearl Jam would come to one of our home town, and we won't be able to get tickets or good seats because somebody else from a different country got them instead....I mean, not all of us can afford to travel around the globe to follow Pearl Jam while they are on tour.
    Hope this can help somehow.
    Thanks again for your time Kelly.

Pearl Jam seems to value their touring fans, and touring fans are their best customers. Why would they want to have a system which discourages their best customers? You cannot plan a tour if it is impossible to get tickets outside of your own country. You may not be able to afford to go to another country to see PJ, but touring fans probably can't afford many things you spend your money on either, because they spend all their money on PJ. Priorities make the difference. Some of the touring fans save all their vacation for PJ, stay 10 to a room in cheap hotels or hostels, and do it very cheaply. So why should these best customers be disadvantaged? I couldn't tour with PJ for 7 years because I had children at home and they were my priority. I didn't begrudge those who *could* tour.

Besides that, tickets are ALWAYS available if you really want one. Touring fans know this, and they use all the tricks in the book. If they work that hard for tickets, they deserve them. If they want to spend hours hitting F5 for multiple shows, they should not be prevented.

I understand your frustration, but this is NOT the answer. I'll give you one tip for which you have the advantage over the touring fans, and that is to stand in line all day for day-of-show releases. Work for it, like touring fans do. And if you're not picky, just go to the box office and there will always be people selling extras for face, because the touring fan community is always upgrading, trading, helping each other.
  • Options
    tenclubber wrote:
    Hi Kelly,

As for the pre-sale, maybe there could be stages of pre-sale. One day people with let's say min 5 years continuous membership could buy tickets (and every one of the members should be allowed to get them within 24 hous or so-no panic), then the rest of TC members on standard basis and then you could see how many tickets have been sold and release the rest to general public.
    Or just make sure every member is entitled to a pair of tickets and can buy them within about 24 hours.
    After all, why deny TC members a chance to see their beloved band when plenty of tickets get snaped up by touts trying to make money! There has to be a possibilty of making sure those who are supporting the band through all those years, can get into the shows!

Anyway, good luck with sorting things out for us.
    Can't wait to see PJ soon again!!! :)

Peace!

I think what people are missing here, is that TM limits the number of tickets which the band can keep back for their fan club. This, as with everything, has to be negotiated. I'm simplifying, but imagine that the promote wants the good seats to give to scalpers and make a profit. This is what happens with most bands. PJ probably has to negotiate a smaller fee in order to get a certain number of the good seats for their fans. This is probably why the Ten Club doesn't always have a pre-sale for added shows; it's something which is negotiated up front, most likely, and they may not be willing to negotiate for those best seats for both shows.

It's not as simple as just selling as many tix as fan club members want.

So given the limited number of tix available to the fan club, I vehemently dislike any idea of a lottery system. I have rarely missed out on tix even when their system was at its worst. But it takes preparation and dedication and that's something I'm willing to put in in order to get tix. Many touring fans have it down to a science. I don't believe that more casual fans, who aren't willing to work for the tix, should have equal chance at them.

Their ticket system was working just fine until they started timing out the tickets after 15 minutes. That just causing thrashing. They had a very successful sale in 2009, I think it was. It went smoothly, then they started timing out the tix. For PJ20, I worked for 2 hours and finally got through, and then another 4 hours to get my son's tickets. My cart timed out many, many times, and had I not lost the tix, I would have been finished and off the system after 20 minutes, easing the load for others to get through.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    bobitalia wrote:
    Hi Kelly.....thanks a lot for taking the time to answer all our questions here!
    Here's my thought....
    I think in order to have tickets sales running smoothly with no server issues or crashes over the future, maybe the best thing would be to allow fan club tickets (1 pair per member as usual) only for people living in the country where the show will take place, that way for sure there would be less traffic on the server (The billing address of the credit card used to buy the ten club seats will determine country of residence). For example, only people from England could have bought tickets for the Manchester gig, as opposed to people from all over the globe.
    If the tickets put aside for ten club members are not sold out after the pre sale, only then fan club members from other countries or continents would be allowed to buy these remaining tickets.
    I think it would really suck if Pearl Jam would come to one of our home town, and we won't be able to get tickets or good seats because somebody else from a different country got them instead....I mean, not all of us can afford to travel around the globe to follow Pearl Jam while they are on tour.
    Hope this can help somehow.
    Thanks again for your time Kelly.

Pearl Jam seems to value their touring fans, and touring fans are their best customers. Why would they want to have a system which discourages their best customers? You cannot plan a tour if it is impossible to get tickets outside of your own country. You may not be able to afford to go to another country to see PJ, but touring fans probably can't afford many things you spend your money on either, because they spend all their money on PJ. Priorities make the difference. Some of the touring fans save all their vacation for PJ, stay 10 to a room in cheap hotels or hostels, and do it very cheaply. So why should these best customers be disadvantaged? I couldn't tour with PJ for 7 years because I had children at home and they were my priority. I didn't begrudge those who *could* tour.

Besides that, tickets are ALWAYS available if you really want one. Touring fans know this, and they use all the tricks in the book. If they work that hard for tickets, they deserve them. If they want to spend hours hitting F5 for multiple shows, they should not be prevented.

I understand your frustration, but this is NOT the answer. I'll give you one tip for which you have the advantage over the touring fans, and that is to stand in line all day for day-of-show releases. Work for it, like touring fans do. And if you're not picky, just go to the box office and there will always be people selling extras for face, because the touring fan community is always upgrading, trading, helping each other.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Tboz51 wrote:
    There were plenty of Europeans sitting in front of me at Alpine Valley, I am okay with that... I see no reason why I am more special then anyone else.

No regional assignments are needed.

In fact, there were so many Europeans who "won" the lottery at PJ20, that I thought it had to be deliberate, and a very, very nice gesture if so, to reward those who came all the way over here...
  • Options
    Grateful Dead sold a whole lot more tickets than Pearl Jam and didn't have these problems.
    I got id
  • Options
    Seems like the manager had an answer for everything, but no real answers for the things that mattered. Asking US if we have any ideas for future PJ ticketing. Unbelievable. Ask some other managers of other bands who don't run into these problems.

And no good answer as to why they didn't announce the second Manchester show here.

Seems like a lot of deflecting responsibility. As in the buck doesn't stop with PJ management. For a band and a manager who positions themselves as really, truly caring about their fans, well, his answers sure didn't reflect that.
    I got id
  • Options
    big mickbig mick Hull UK Posts: 773
    At the time it reminded me of when we used to get Glastonbury tickets after they put the new wall up. Every year we would get ready and the server couldn't take the amount of traffic, the site would crash, but by dinner time we would always have enough tickets.
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • Options
    A free download of the european tour shows would make up for this shambles, not sure if anyone else has suggested it yet :?:
    Neil Young & Pearl Jam Dublin 1995, Leeds Festival 2006, Manchester 2009, Manchester 2012, Leeds 2014, Amsterdam 2018, London 1 2022, London 2 2022
  • Options
    jmkjmk Posts: 425
    A free download of the european tour shows would make up for this shambles, not sure if anyone else has suggested it yet :?:

I'm going to order a CD of the Stockholm show that will be my 1st PJ show. A free download of choice would be great, but I doubt it. They would miss a lot of money on that you see... Kelly said they'll update the information about the wristbands for the seating tickets this week so I hope we may end up with access to the soundcheck which would be great... How often has TenClub members been let in to see the soundcheck?
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    jmk wrote:
    Kelly said they'll update the information about the wristbands for the seating tickets this week so I hope we may end up with access to the soundcheck which would be great... How often has TenClub members been let in to see the soundcheck?

This would be great!!!
    This is the best idea I've heard to compensate 10C members attending to Euro 2012 Tour.
    Looking forward to see if the band agrees...

Luca
  • Options
    RE4790 wrote:
    But letting Europeans have the chance for Europe first, North Americans for their part of their world is reasonable.

Tell that to someone in Turkey or Israel or Cuba or Russia or South Africa, where the band will never play. All fans deserve an equal shot at tickets for whatever show they want. That's what is truly fair to all no discrimination or punishment based on where you live. No PJ fan has more right to attend a show than any other PJ fan, whether you live across the street from the venue or in a country they have never played.
    True. But it's when the across the street fan misses out and the fan who travels from New York is in the building that the situation becomes unfair. I would never suggest travelling fans from countries constantly missed by PJ should be shut out... which goes to show this whole issue is almost impossible to work out to please everyone. Each of us has a different opinion on what's right and fair. Is the hardcore Touring Fan more important than someone rocking up to their first show?
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    muttley-ml wrote:
    jmk wrote:
    Kelly said they'll update the information about the wristbands for the seating tickets this week so I hope we may end up with access to the soundcheck which would be great... How often has TenClub members been let in to see the soundcheck?

This would be great!!!
    This is the best idea I've heard to compensate 10C members attending to Euro 2012 Tour.

Luca

There's no way they'll give us access to soundcheck IMO
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    The Saint wrote:

I have tears streaming down my face - this is the FUNNIEST THING I have seen in a very long time.
  • Options
    In the off chance Curtis reads this, I see the two main problems:

1) Crush of fans crippling the ticketing system, and
    2) Fans frustrated about the time & stress of the ticketing ordeal because of #1 (experienced this with Alpine)

Why not have a lottery system where 10Cers sign up to a list during a week period, then 10C sends out notification to the "winners" who can buy the tickets at a designated presale time/date. 10C can either randomly select people to give them the go ahead to buy tickets, or simply sort by address and satisfy those who are closest to the venue. If there's still stress on the onsales, stagger the times. If not all the notified 10Cers don't purchase 10C's allotment of tickets, open it up to other 10Cers or simply release them to the promoter.

I think this is most fair and requires the least amount of outlay (perhaps some more time by 10C staff, I assume there's a database of 10C members). The demand/requests needs to be filtered to make the purchase of 2,000+ tickets manageable and not waste everyone's time. I mean, we're just buying concert tickets.

The postcard thing is stupid, don't do it.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    love the continue of the dialogue :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    HailHailOZ wrote:
    RE4790 wrote:

Tell that to someone in Turkey or Israel or Cuba or Russia or South Africa, where the band will never play. All fans deserve an equal shot at tickets for whatever show they want. That's what is truly fair to all no discrimination or punishment based on where you live. No PJ fan has more right to attend a show than any other PJ fan, whether you live across the street from the venue or in a country they have never played.
    True. But it's when the across the street fan misses out and the fan who travels from New York is in the building that the situation becomes unfair. I would never suggest travelling fans from countries constantly missed by PJ should be shut out... which goes to show this whole issue is almost impossible to work out to please everyone. Each of us has a different opinion on what's right and fair. Is the hardcore Touring Fan more important than someone rocking up to their first show?

I'm a jerk about this topic so... why this is unfair? Because New York has had many shows in the last few years? I cannot think of anything more fair than every fan having an equal shot at every show. No fan, no matter where they live, is more entitled to anything than any other fan. And please remember that 10c tickets are not the only tickets available. I've been shut out for local shows before and gotten tickets in the general sale, so I know it's possible. Setting up a system where everyone has an equal chance is what's fair. Everything else is some form of arbitrary discrimination, which often sounds like anti-Americanism (your post does NOT sound that way), as people continue to believe that US fans get way more shows than the rest of the world. Really, outside of the Philly to Boston corridor (a mere 300 miles) and Los Angeles, Pearl Jam does not play the US that much considering where much of the population lives.
  • Options
    muttley-ml wrote:
    jmk wrote:

This would be great!!!

Luca

There's no way they'll give us access to soundcheck IMO

I know, at least I tried :D
  • Options
    PkePke Ayrshire ,Scotland Posts: 846
    randib4283 wrote:
    The Saint wrote:

I have tears streaming down my face - this is the FUNNIEST THING I have seen in a very long time.

me to , after last week,s disaster this had made my day :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Glasgow 00
    Leeds 06
    London 07
    London Berlin London 09
    Dublin Belfast London Berlin Arras Werchter Bilbao 10
    East Troy East Troy Montreal Toronto Toronto 11
    Manchester Manchester Berlin Berlin Stockholm EV Manchester 12
    San Diego LA Oakland Portland Vancouver Seattle 13
    Berlin Leeds Tulsa Lincoln 14
    Pete Townshend & EV Chicago Global Citizen New York 15
    Philadelphia Philadelphia New York New York 16
    EV Tarmonia Tarmonia 17
    London,London,Prague,Krakow,Berlin 18
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Hmmm would have been nice to get an email about this happening, instead of looking on the board today and finding our about it..... :roll:
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
This discussion has been closed.