Options

*** London Fanviews Here 18/6/07 ***

Comments

• Options
    http://pjwembley.wordpress.com/

Some of my pictures from Wembley - will add more later.
    Manchester 4/6/2000

and then wait 6 years...

Leeds 25/8/2006
    Paris 11/9/2006
    Wembley 18/6/2007
    Check out the Wembley Blog here - http://pjwembley.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Well what can I say but wow, that was an amazing gig. I've been a Pearl Jam fan for years have numerous live download albums, every dvd, every album and now I've finally seen them in the flesh.

A few people were moaning about the setlist but I thought it was great, yeah there are a few songs that you'd like to hear but that's what makes Pearl Jam such an amazing band. They have so many songs you don't know what your gonna get, I'm just waiting for another US tour and I'll be on a plane because that was without doubt the best 2hrs 15mins of my life. I was singing, dancing, shouting and jumping around like a fool, it was great! Shame I was in the seated area but as many will know the website kept crashing and I couldn't get floor tickets.

Long Road, Grievance, Low Light, I Got Id, Present Tense, Immortality, SOLAT, Crazy Mary, RITFW, amazing!

Thanks to Jen (wish I got your number) and Claire two mad scottish girls we met in the hotel and had a laugh with as we were singing Pearl Jam songs until the staff told us we had to shut up. All round a special day and one that I'll always remember, what a fantastic bunch Pearl Jam fans are! I don't want to come down from this amazing high!
    Wembley '07
  • Options
    dustdust Posts: 133
    Long Time fan, first post, here goes....

know I'm a bit late with this but I need to say something, strugglin with the right words, I'm an emotional wreck just thinkin about it. Third time seeing 'em and I didn't think they could get any better, I was sooooooo wrong.

Is anyone else havin a really hard time adjusting to everyday life again?

Thanks so much to everyone who posted their feelins about Monday, its allowed me to re live the whole night again. You guys are amazing and it was a priviledge to share the experience with you.
  • Options
    padsnopadsno Posts: 2
    As ever, an awesome show. Set list could have been 2 or 3 songs longer, especially 2 or 3 of their "hits" (e.g Evenflow, Betterman, etc). 4th time I've seen them, so appreciated groovy setlist, but was first time for my girlfriend (and many others) and as a more casual fan, she missed hearing some of the "big songs." Still based on PJ's performance that night, this was the best show I've been to!

However, not the most memorable. Sorry to all the cool guys & gals that were there, but I thought the crowd sucked. No atmosphere before the show started; no singing, clapping, chanting, etc. Every other PJ show I've been to has been a huge love-in, a great-overall-happy experience. There was a nervous edge to this show right from the beginning. I was right near the front, sitting down as soon as doors opened, and everyone suddenly surged forward around 30mins before Idlewild came on. No one around me could understand why on earth people felt the need to do this. Speaking of Idlewild, what a poor, and thanks to a few knuckleheads, rude reception they got. They're a good band and I know that at least I was looking forward to seeing them. They gave a good little set, and got no credit and little respect from the rabid Pearl Jam fans (of whom I am one too).

When PJ started everyone, undestandably, went nuts. But compared to other shows, a bit too nuts. People were trying get to the front no matter what, especially big guys just trying to push their way through (BTW, I'm 6ft 3 and weigh 90kgs). For the first few songs, their was an aggressive (unintentional I'm sure) air to the show, probably too many people getting too excited at the same time. I was just trying to stay standing up and hold onto my girlfriend and can't remember most of the first few songs but for elbows to my face (and me delivering a few back!). After a few songs, this atmopsphere teetered out and the show took on the type of form and feeling I had expected.

But for the first time after I've seen a PJ show, I can't honestly say that the whole experience was flawless. Every other PJ show I've been to has been a blur of joy and (forgive me for being corny) brother/sisterhood between fans. In this one, there seemed to be too many people trying to get their own way, and I whilst I had an awesome time, I am sad to say that their are some moments I will remember with negativity or longing, and frankly thats thanks to the overall atmosphere of the crowd. Still, great show, and glad to see so many here loved it too.
  • Options
    Manchester 4/6/2000

and then wait 6 years...

Leeds 25/8/2006
    Paris 11/9/2006
    Wembley 18/6/2007
  • Options
    RabbitrocksRabbitrocks Posts: 101
    Stef83 wrote:
    I wear glasses and had a tiny little person in front of me...no hat though.

If it was you then don't worry about it, i'm sorry for elbowing you in the ribs!

I don't remember getting elbowed in the ribs - cos I really wouldn't have been pleased about that! Not exactly an eye for an eye is it? Whoever stood on your gf's foot obviously done it by accident, but you deliberately elbowed someone (a girl) in the ribs :confused:
  • Options
    Manchester 4/6/2000

and then wait 6 years...

Leeds 25/8/2006
    Paris 11/9/2006
    Wembley 18/6/2007
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
  • Options
    gregmac666gregmac666 Posts: 123
    Well I gotta say, with a heavy heart, that I was somewhat under-whelmed by the gig. I am surprised to be typing this, but I do feel that the show lacked energy throughout - the fact that the band pretty-much ignored the first four albums didn't help.

I enjoyed many of the lesser played tracks - it was a pleasure to hear Crazy Mary, SOLAT & I Got ID, both of which surprised me greatly - but I can't help but feel that the band never really got above 3rd gear because of all the mid-tempo tracks that formed the set, even if those track are good in their own right.

PJ are a ROCk band, and I just don't think they rocked hard enough that night.

I watched the band playing, and they certainly seemed to be a having a good time, which was a pleasure to see & experience, and I enjoyed watching the crowd... I just felt a little on the outside throughout it all.

I have to say it - for a band that have taken so long to play the UK on one of their 'tours', I would have expected them to make sure that they play a good selection from all of their albums. Mainly for those in the audience that may never have been to a PJ gig, and so would be wanting to hear some of the all-time great track.

I'm not saying that I wanted them to play a 'greatest hits' set, just one that recognizes their vast catalogue of releases.

Perhaps for a majority of those seeing the band for the first time, that was itself enough to have a superb night. I understand this, and have seen this in effect on a crowd before (in the same venue for the RHCP, who were also not at their best that evening but had the crowd going wild). However, I know some that were hoping to hear some of those earlier, rockier songs, and so left disappointed.

I have to give the band the benefit of the doubt. They don't always want to play those early songs, and I guess they can get pretty damn bored of them after all these years, but next time perhaps they'll mix the new in with the old. Even if the older tracks are not the expected (hits) tracks.

Perhaps next time the band will also do more than 1 show in the UK, so those of us that do not travel abroad so much can see a few shows over here & so increase our chances of hearing a broader selection of tracks from one of our favorite bands.
    7387 // "I'll ride the wave where it takes me..." // 28-02-92 / Astoria 06-92 Cancelled / 14-07-93 / 29-10-96 / 30-05-00 / 20-04-06 / 27-08-06 / 18-06-07 / 18-08-09 / 25-06-10
  • Options
    gregmac666 wrote:
    Well I gotta say, with a heavy heart, that I was somewhat under-whelmed by the gig. I am surprised to be typing this, but I do feel that the show lacked energy throughout - the fact that the band pretty-much ignored the first four albums didn't help.

To be fair, they did play three songs off Ten. Only Yield (yay!) and Pearl Jam got more.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there...
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    :confused: I'm just wondering if some people were at the same show as me?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Riot_RainRiot_Rain Posts: 348

I know what you mean :)

I think we all come with our own expectations though, so the way we then experience what actually happens can be very different.

I keep wondering if the band were nervous. When Ed first came on stage, I got this feeling that he was nervous. (He also shook his hands, does he always do that? Never noticed it before.) Maybe cos they realised hte floor was 10C only, there were many long-time fans around and they would be playing a slightly different setlist? But maybe I'm just projecting my own emotions onto other people now ;)
    EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great show and like I'v said before, setlist was perfect for me, almost tailor-made ;)
    Like a cloud dropping rain
    I'm discarding all thought
    I'll dry up, leaving puddles on the ground
    I'm like an opening band for the sun
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Probably went to London in Canada instead.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    xnothingmanxxnothingmanx Suffolk UK Posts: 192

I totally agree. The best comment Ive read is the guy who reckoned Ed looked really unhappy and pissed off all night (just because he asked a guitar tech to turn his acoustic guitar down in his earphones) . This is the same Ed who was jumping up and down like a maniac most of the time and running to the seated fans at the side more than once with a big fucking grin on his face? And actually saying more than once what fun they were having?

Seriously, some of you must have been to a different gig.
    Wembley 00 (Night 1)Cardiff 00 Astoria 06 Jools Holland Recording 06 (I met Ed!)Reading 06 Katowice 07 Wembley 07 Shepherds Bush 09 O2 London 09 Hard Rock Calling 10 Manchester 12 Night 1 and 2
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    gregmac666 wrote:

Sorry you didn't get the same buzz that the rest of us did.

PJ have made many low tempo songs over the years so I don't know why you assume they should come on stage and blast us through the back walls. IMHO some of the best moments have been the start of Gorge 05, Boston3 03 and Santa Barbara 06. But that's just my view.

I'm glad it wasn't all out rockin' as i would be deaf by now.
  • Options
    Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    gregmac666 wrote:

I thought it was really nice that at least one song from each of their 8 albums was played. It's not uncommon to hear nothing from at least one or more of the records.

I think given what Ed said before Crazy Mary he'd obviously taken into account what had been played at previous London shows, no matter how long ago they may have been....perhaps that was why Riot Act and the latest record were very well represented.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    I thought it was really nice that at least one song from each of their 8 albums was played. It's not uncommon to hear nothing from at least one or more of the records.

I think given what Ed said before Crazy Mary he'd obviously taken into account what had been played at previous London shows, no matter how long ago they may have been....perhaps that was why Riot Act and the latest record were very well represented.
    I fucking want that boot so I can remember everything.
    I totally missed the solo of Crazy Mary cause Ed and I had a little encounter and he was busy trying to put the stuffed animal down his pants :eek: :D
    What did he say? I seriously need that boot.
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    I fucking want that boot so I can remember everything.
    I totally missed the solo of Crazy Mary cause Ed and I had a little encounter and he was busy trying to put the stuffed animal down his pants :eek: :D
    What did he say? I seriously need that boot.

I seem to have missed all this stuffed animal action....I was actually watching Stone strumming away for most of the song.

I can't exactly remember how it led up to it whether he was introducing Boom or not and saying something about it being the first time he'd played that building with them and then he said that they were going to play a song for the first time, or at least the first time at Wembley and introduced Crazy Mary
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    I seem to have missed all this stuffed animal action....I was actually watching Stone strumming away for most of the song.

I can't exactly remember how it led up to it whether he was introducing Boom or not and saying something about it being the first time he'd played that building with them and then he said that they were going to play a song for the first time, or at least the first time at Wembley and introduced Crazy Mary
    Oh yeah, yeah, think i remeber now.Stuffed animal was on my side, Mikes side, when Ed came and had a smoke. i caught his attention, threw it at him and as he grabbed it, tried to put it down his pants. :eek: too funny. he didnt do it, but he read CROATIA LOVES YOU I wrote on it and he looked at me saying OH CROATIA with his hand in a fist and tapped his heart :o Thats how it happened. :)
    I had no idea what was going on on the other side of the stage...haha
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    gregmac666 wrote:
    - the fact that the band pretty-much ignored the first four albums didn't help.

they've just had a new album in the past year... and they've played those songs for over 10years.. and london hasn't had a Riot Act tour show...

so increase our chances of hearing a broader selection of tracks from one of our favorite bands.

seriously??? it couldnt have got any broader.. every album was represented :confused: as were different era's of their career that were non-album times.. Long Road, I got Shit, SOLAT, RITFW, Crazy Mary.

if people dont know anything after the first 4 albums thats their fault, but I personally loved it that there was no Even Flow, Elderly Woman, Black, or Daughter... they're the Ford Mondeo's of their catalogue... we got the Maseratis :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    Oh yeah, yeah, think i remeber now.Stuffed animal was on my side, Mikes side, when Ed came and had a smoke. i caught his attention, threw it at him and as he grabbed it, tried to put it down his pants. :eek: too funny. he didnt do it, but he read CROATIA LOVES YOU I wrote on it and he looked at me saying OH CROATIA with his hand in a fist and tapped his heart :o Thats how it happened. :)
    I had no idea what was going on on the other side of the stage...haha

i was watching mike through the legs of booms organ, all i could see was the finger work as mike was hiding!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    Hey,

What a brilliant gig!. I just want to say thanks a million to the people who sold me 2 tickets. I was walking around in the rain with a '2 tickets wanted' sign on the day of the concert (wearing my Gustav Klimt skirt).My friend and I tried so hard to get them after they sold out. Had come over from Ireland. I'm new to these forums, so hello :)
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Hello spidey.... happy you got tickets! :D
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    i was watching mike through the legs of booms organ, all i could see was the finger work as mike was hiding!
    DISGUSTING!!!! :eek:
  • Options
    danleridanleri Posts: 497
    dunkman wrote:
    if people dont know anything after the first 4 albums thats their fault, but I personally loved it that there was no Even Flow, Elderly Woman, Black, or Daughter... they're the Ford Mondeo's of their catalogue... we got the Maseratis :)

That's a very nice metaphore! :p
    Verona '00 | Dublin '06 | Barcelona '06 | London '07 | Copenhagen '07 | Berlin '09 | Dublin '10 | Belfast '10 | Berlin '10 | Toronto1 '11 | Toronto2 '11 | Amsterdam1 '12 | Stockholm '12 | Oslo '12 | Copenhagen '12 | Brooklyn1 '13 | Brooklyn2 '13 | Amsterdam1 '14 | Amsterdam2 '14 | Vienna '14 | Berlin '14
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    :eek: shocking! Eyeing fingerwork is my speciality!! ;) (not to mention organs!) But Jeff's... not Mike's.
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    padsno wrote:
    However, not the most memorable. Sorry to all the cool guys & gals that were there, but I thought the crowd sucked. No atmosphere before the show started; no singing, clapping, chanting, etc. Every other PJ show I've been to has been a huge love-in, a great-overall-happy experience. .

I thought the ones at the front were really cool but i was stood towards the front of the middle area and i had acres of space around me. I was about 7 or so metres from the pit and i could easily have navigated my way there without bothering anyone. It was really strange i have never been to a gig, stand that close to the front and have plenty of space around me. It was quite a laid back crowd except the crazy lot at the front. I think maybe the shit sound might had something to do with it tho, I don't think it was as bad at the front then it was in the back/middle. Still a great show tho and they should play more UK shows next time.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    redrock wrote:
    :eek: shocking! Eyeing fingerwork is my speciality!! ;) (not to mention organs!) But Jeff's... not Mike's.

may i re-phrase...
    i was watching mikes fingerwork on the fret board and strings, through the legs of booms b3 organ..
    Clear :confused:
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    gregmac666gregmac666 Posts: 123
    dunkman wrote:
    they've just had a new album in the past year... and they've played those songs for over 10years.. and london hasn't had a Riot Act tour show...

I agree, and as I said, I know that bands can get bored playing those songs live time & time again, but there were people there that had never seen them.

Don't by any means take my post as a rejection of the current albums & later catalogue. I did not say & was not saying that those song are bad songs. There are many songs that I love on the last 4 albums, and they played many. I just felt that too many of those songs meant that the night never really kicked into gear for me, or at least not often enough.
    seriously??? it couldnt have got any broader.. every album was represented :confused:

I didn't say that the early albums were completely ignored, just that they were hardly touched compared to others. I think an equal showing from all the main disc isn't too much to ask, especially when PJ never toured on some of their other albums in the UK, not just Riot Act.
    ...as were different era's of their career that were non-album times.. Long Road, I got Shit, SOLAT, RITFW, Crazy Mary.

Yup, and I pointed out the fact that I enjoyed hearing those songs.
    ...if people dont know anything after the first 4 albums thats their fault, but I personally loved it that there was no Even Flow, Elderly Woman, Black, or Daughter... they're the Ford Mondeo's of their catalogue... we got the Maseratis :)

Like I said, I didn't necessarily want a 'greatest hits' set - we pretty much got that at Reading, and to a certain extent at the Astoria, with many of the usual tracks being played. A little more recognition of those earlier records that still bring me alot of pleasure is what I would have liked, which also generally seem to be the records with a more rockin' edge.

I do always enjoy seeing PJ play, and I would go again knowing that they would play a different set from the last & the last before that, etc... They are that kinda band. Just on this one occasion they didn't really do it for me, or at least as much as they have done in the past.

Perhaps I have been lucky to witness particularly good shows in the years gone by, and I feel they will be hard to surpass (for me personally at least), but with the Astoria & Reading being superb shows, I know they are still capable of true greatness. I just do not feel that Wembley hit those heights for me. And believe me, I wanted them to. I wanted that gig to be jaw-dropping because they always have been. As it was, I'd give it 3/5.

This is of course my own opinion of the concert, and I KNOW that 99.9% would disagree with that opinion. I just wanted to put it out there to see what the reaction would be.
    7387 // "I'll ride the wave where it takes me..." // 28-02-92 / Astoria 06-92 Cancelled / 14-07-93 / 29-10-96 / 30-05-00 / 20-04-06 / 27-08-06 / 18-06-07 / 18-08-09 / 25-06-10
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    well I suppose some people will always want to hear the hits... but I guess that's not what PJ's fan base is about. They've been quite 'underground' for a while so they're not really a 'hits' kinda band. And with it being a fan club floor I suppose it was always going to be less hits based than other shows... may not be to everyones liking but that's it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you