Options

*** London Fanviews Here 18/6/07 ***

Comments

• Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,860
    everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and gregmac's just happens to be different to the majority. Leave it there, no further discussion needed on why greg may be wrong or right.
    it was special for me as 11 of 27 songs played i had never seen :)
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    Each to their own.
    Personally, I wouldn't have minded if they played Even Flow, Better Man et al, but the fact that they didn't, for better or worse it made the show special.

Overall, the setlist was nothing short of incredible and I wouldn't dare dream of complaining about it. But like I said, it's all subjecive.
  • Options
    CageyCagey Posts: 220
    Myself and the missus (aka The Sneaky One on the forum) traveled over from Ireland, we were at the point in Dublin and also at Reading last year, great shows, but neither left our ears ringing (well into the next day) like this show!

We had seats up to the left of the stage, and it sounded good while there, but bloody hell it was loud!

Great show, but I think Reading edges it.

Thanks to the guy who gave me a Marlboro cigarette outside, I forgot to get ciggies in my excitement before we left for the Arena :D
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Yet another show and I haven't met Cagey and Sneaky (or did I????). Next time? :D
  • Options
    Danni CDanni C Posts: 54
    Riot_Rain wrote:
    Very lame indeed :(

I've commented, not sure it'll be posted though, they vet them first. Wasn't rude or anything, quoted from the article and basically pointed out how silly it was ;):D[/QUOT

Wrong - before they write a review they need to get facts correct - i posted a response but not been added - Idiots!!
  • Options
    Danni CDanni C Posts: 54
    Hey Guys,

I'm new here (relatively), I was wondering if ANYONE had a spare ticket stub that they would be wililng to give me? I couldn't get one back at the end and i collect them, i have only seen Pearl Jam a couple of times and am really pissed that i didnt get one. I would be wiling to pay or whatever.

Anyway if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it,

thank you v much, James

I forgot to get mine too,.,, to excited after the gig to remember -- so another spare one would be great if you can..
  • Options
    who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    I thought it was an amazing set! A bit short though, but they played well and I liked the songs! Yup,,, Idlewild ROCKED!

There was a pretty cool band after Idlewild, too. What was their name again? :D

To me,, seeing a bunch of you I already knew, and meeting so many of you in the days before and seeing you all that day, then the day after was the big part of the concert package.
    Opening with Long Road was the kicker for me. An amazing opener that has so much meaning for so many people who were there together.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

To me,, seeing a bunch of you I already knew, and meeting so many of you in the days before and seeing you all that day, then the day after was the big part of the concert package.
    Opening with Long Road was the kicker for me. An amazing opener that has so much meaning for so many people who were there together.

Please, remind me who you are :o
    I know someone told me that this was their board name, I just dont remember who... :D:o
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I thought it was an amazing set! A bit short though, but they played well and I liked the songs! Yup,,, Idlewild ROCKED!

Was great to meet you! :D

Hope you guys enjoyed your last couple of days in London.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Please, remind me who you are :o
    I know someone told me that this was their board name, I just dont remember who...

I'm Bob. I met you in either the pub, the pub, the other pub, the club, or the pub. :D

I met you in the Pride of Paddington sitting at the table! :D When you said your name, I said, Cropdustress!!!!
    My description of myself: I have messy hair. :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    ... and great T-shirts! :D
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    I'm Bob. I met you in either the pub, the pub, the other pub, the club, or the pub. :D

I met you in the Pride of Paddington sitting at the table! :D When you said your name, I said, Cropdustress!!!!
    Ok, now I know who you are. both your names :o
    Im really bad with names, faces are better. but I know everything now :D

Paddington was fun, yes.

PS it was great to chat with you and see you on here again.
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    paddypaddy Posts: 104
    Well folks, what a day. I post on Red Mosquito a load more than here and the euroheads had a bit of a gather up in Thirsty Eddies pre-gig. They all were good people. I met a few message pit crew as well, I can't remember your names (too many Foster's), but good people. Some of you might have seen me about. Big guy, shaved head, goatee, maroon coloured stone's bitches T-shirt. Anyhow, a very special day indeed. Roll on next year. :)
    Hello, is there anybody in there?
  • Options
    DoodlebugDoodlebug Posts: 9
    What can i say, other than they fucking SMASHED it!

I had waited 16 long years to see them play live and they didn't disappoint - just hope it's not another 16 years until the next time. The set was diverse and littered with personal favourites, faithful, state, rocking in the free world to name but a few. Pretty amazing to see them play out the show with the house lights up - kinda like live at the garden! The icing on the cake would have been a rendition of crown of thorns, but hey you can't have everything. Glad to see a few people sporting there mother love bone tee's.

All in all a flawless rock show - great front man, full of energy, guitar solo's behind the head and really fucking LOUD!

However i felt embarassed and ashamed to be english by the way the portugese lads in front of us were treated. Yeah the flag waving was pretty annoying but they were just rocking out, showing their love for the band and representing their country! Superficial ladies, next time if you want an unobstucted view, get seated tickets.

This is my first post and don't want to end on a sour note so just want to say once again - they fucking SMASHED it!

ps Does anybody know if the bloke with the stick man tattoo on his stomach ever found his bruv?

I don't want to raise this point again, as when it comes to the crunch, PJ fans from all over the world are more than welcome -- it was nothing to do with nationality, but hey mutual consideration is a positive thing and I paid the same amount to go and see / listen to the show of a band I too love. I did not go to view a Portuguese flag and be insulted by its drunken owner when I asked politely for him to lower it.

Secondly, the whole thing about gals being superficial, well I certainly was not there to eye up the boys and am quite insulted that it is okay for you to deem that comment worthy of posting on this forum board. Sexist is not the word. I was there to enjoy the music I have been listening to for 14 years or more.

Anyways, kinda catching up with the forum posts as I have not been around for a few days so apologies if I am repeating old threads / issues. Also, I will be real disappointed if there is no official bootleg, that unique set list, the amazing atmosphere more than deserves it!

Oh and one thing I certainly agree with you on once_divided -- it would have been fab to hear Ed's rendition of Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns again. At Reading that had me near blubbing.
    "Even flow, thoughts arrive like butterflies
    Oh, he dont know, so he chases them away, yeah...
    Someday yet, he'll begin his life again
    Oh, whispering hands, gently lead, lead him away...him away, him away..."

http://www.myspace.com/charliebrown79

Reading '06
    Wembley, London '07
  • Options
    Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    I'm still feeling rough from Monday and i have come to a conclusion...
    1- Someone in the front had a cold,coughed and i now have their bug??
    2- I'm just getting to old for this moshing lark,shouting my love at the top of my lungs to Mike who probably couldn't hear a thing i said and finally the lack of sleep.
    I'm going for number 1 ;)
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060

dude, (god, i hate myself for saying that!), stick your piccie on the London Crew blog thread!
    sorry, haldf pissed and have to run for a train in a minute so can't find the thread... ;)
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    CornishManCornishMan Cornwall, UK Posts: 444
    Peter C wrote:
    2- I'm just getting to old for this moshing lark,shouting my love at the top of my lungs to Mike who probably couldn't hear a thing i said and finally the lack of sleep.
    I'm going for number 1 ;)

Hey I feel for ya man! I felt pretty rough for a few days after Reading last year. I think being in close proximity of lots of people who have travelled from all over the country (or further) makes it highly likely you could pick up a bug!!

Edit : :cool: Cool, Just realised I reached 100 posts! Yay!
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022.
  • Options
    I just want to scream...Helloooooooo!!!
    Finally I'm back from London...well gee why do i say 'finally'?, as if it was a good thing... i had a fantastic time there and let's just say, it just f***ing started with a BANG!!! The entire day was just so much fun, even the rain all morning was amusing come to think of it lol
    Straight to the show!!! I couldn't think of another word right after the show than PER-FECT for me anyway lol Queueing we were mentionning which song we would have liked to hear...but oh man...the entire show was what i wanted to hear, i was surprised that i forgot i could get to hear songs like Grievance, I Got Shit (oh my god absolutely loved that one!!), Down, PT Crazy Mary...oh and of course, 'my' song Indifference which was the song i've always wanted to hear at least once live, oh but geeeez, the entire show was amazing to me!!! that was the second time, and it completelyyyy made it up for Paris, which i enjoyed a LOT as it was the first time i got to see them but also the first time i had to ask to get out of the moshpit...damn was i pissed!!!
    But no London has been sooooooooooooo good to me!!!! We were in the front (pretty much...you could touch the barrier, right Helen?) and came out exhausted and extatic (when i came home, my poor friend half asleep had to listen to me yapping about how Mike did a solo behind his head, and how we almost got to taste the wine and that they finished with INDIFFERENCE!!! etc..). There were some funny moments, i'm thinking about how the guys completely cut off Eddie as he was about to speak to the Mike again haha hilarious, they just started the song, Ed laughed a bit there too! I liked the Don't gimme no lip chant, that took a while for the guys to understand and to which Ed replied 'Stone, they're talking to you' and then 'actually, they said don't gimme no lip, so don't talk back' LOL oh but...nothing can replace that feeling after you come out from a show like that, can you tell i'm still into it? back in France but still into it! haha
    And finally, a HUGE thank you to the people i met there, Helen, Kristin, Marina, Damian, etc, oh my god, YOU made that day so special, i spent a great day with you guys and a great show thanks to you!!! So to all of those who are still touring right now, HAVE FUN wooohoooo!!! hey, maybe they will play a 'real' Police cover, go BOOOOM! and Helen, have a real great day in Copenhagen, ask for your birthday present to be the barrier, maybe it'll help to get in front row! ;-)
    Alright i'll (finally) stop now :-)
  • Options
    emignacioemignacio Posts: 12
    hi everyone ~

just a short note to basically repeat what most people have said --- the show was incredible, the set list *superb*! I haven't heard "indifference" live in quite a while, and hearing "no more" was amazing....plus, I loved the various songs re: love, life, and hope ("Down", "inside Job", "parachutes", "alive", etc....)

On another completely unrelated note - did anyone find a red, leather journal after the show? I was up front & center (smushed in the pit), and I'm sure it - as well as my black rainjacket and red canadian pj hoodie (:*o( )- fell out of my bag when we were getting whisked around in the pit!

If you have the journal - or know anyone who does - can you please message me? I'd gladly pay postage and some extra if you could send it back to me....Ideally, I'd love to get my canadian hoodie and/or jacket back, too...But the journal really means tons to me.....

thanks tons and lots of PJ love,
    Em
    make yourself a pact, not to shut doors on the past
    just for today,... I am free

I will not lose my faith
    It's an inside job today
  • Options
    emignacio wrote:
    hi everyone ~

On another completely unrelated note - did anyone find a red, leather journal after the show? I was up front & center (smushed in the pit), and I'm sure it - as well as my black rainjacket and red canadian pj hoodie (:*o( )- fell out of my bag when we were getting whisked around in the pit!

thanks tons and lots of PJ love,
    Em

Have you emailed Wembley Arena to see if it was found or handed in?

Try Customer.Services@Livenation.co.uk
    Cardiff 6th June 2000
    Arnhem 29th August 2006
    London 18th June 2007
  • Options
    EvolutionaryEvolutionary Posts: 880
    Peter C wrote:

I know the feeling - Lots of people from different places, means germs and viruses you aren't used to and therefore easier to catch. Combine that with how mushed up/dehydrated/generally knackered we all were and it's dead easy to get something.
    I've had a bit of a cold/sore throat since Wednesday :(
    ...London Doesn't Call Anymore... (rip joe)

Yes, I have been to some Pearl Jam concerts. Several of them.
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    I'm just now reading through all these Wembley reviews after getting home from London myself ... I flew from NYC to Liverpool, did the whole Beatles historic tour thing, then to London where I stayed with friends I have made (but never actually MET before this) through this message board!

The anticipation for this show was so intense, only matched by the intensity of the Band's performance!! It's all been said here already, but as an eye (and ear) witness I second it: Wonderful setlist, the band was ON FIRE, the crowd was perfect, just the kind of people you want standing next to you at a show this important to you (OK, except for the dudes with the flags), the sound was not great but tolerable...all in all it was a memory that I will savor FOREVER.

Thank You Pearl jam ... you have NEVER let me down yet, and TenClub, you are a class act...and the fans are the best. I am proud to be a fan of this band.

And, to top it off even more ... the GORGE BOX SET ARRIVED IN MY MAILBOX YESTERDAY!!

"...do you want some more? I said YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    blue_rainblue_rain London Posts: 163
    Yeah, they seem to not be too eager to post my response. Wankers.

This is what i wrote yesterday:

Perhaps Jon Fletcher should pay a little more attention to the concert he's reviewing. Though Fletcher states that there was not a single track from Pearl Jam's second LP Vs., the show concluded with that album's final track, Indifference. More than that, Fletcher completely missed the bigger pciture of this gig. The entire floor of 3,000 strong was sold only to fan club members from literally around the world, as well as Brits who had waited seven years for the band to return. These were the people Pearl Jam was playing to last night, not the people who have not picked up a Pearl Jam cd after Vs. Last night, Vedder and co. played one of their most unique setlists for a crowd that ate it up. Far from self-indulgent, last night was a thank you to the fans who have stuck with Pearl Jam through their 17 year history. Pearl Jam is one of the best live acts in the world and they maintain this by picking up on something that British bands (save Radiohead) don't get: The best way to build up a loyal following by keeping your setlists unique and unpredictable from one night to another. Keep them guessing, keep them excited. This was more than the case last night and the fans- be it from England, Croatia, Australia, Portugal, Italy or the USA- loved it.

If Fletcher wants a greatest hits parade, I suggest he stays at home and pops Ten on his stereo- or perhaps go see the Kaiser Chiefs.

Amen. I added a comment too which didn't surface. My friend Vicki had hers up there, though they took it down and consequently stopped posting responses.
    "Is my band ready to kick it?" Stone Gossard

28/Oct/96, 29/May/00, 04/Jun/00, 28/Jun/00, 30/Jun/00, 02/Jul/03, 03/Jul/03, 05/Jul/03, 08/Jul/03, 09/Jul/03, 20/Apr/06, 27/Aug/06, 09/Sep/06, 13/Sep/06, 12/Jun/07, 13/Jun/07, 18/Jun/07, 26/Jun/07, 28/Jun/07, 02/Apr/08 (Ed), 03/Apr/08 (Ed), 11/Aug09, 13/Aug/09, 17/Aug/09, 18/Aug/09, 25/Jun/10
  • Options
    superb show. great setlist. superb performance by the band and the crowd.

the portuguese people were superb. keep on flaging without no worries, higher and higher.
  • Options
    Doodlebug wrote:
    I don't want to raise this point again, as when it comes to the crunch, PJ fans from all over the world are more than welcome -- it was nothing to do with nationality, but hey mutual consideration is a positive thing and I paid the same amount to go and see / listen to the show of a band I too love. I did not go to view a Portuguese flag and be insulted by its drunken owner when I asked politely for him to lower it.

Secondly, the whole thing about gals being superficial, well I certainly was not there to eye up the boys and am quite insulted that it is okay for you to deem that comment worthy of posting on this forum board. Sexist is not the word. I was there to enjoy the music I have been listening to for 14 years or more.

Anyways, kinda catching up with the forum posts as I have not been around for a few days so apologies if I am repeating old threads / issues. Also, I will be real disappointed if there is no official bootleg, that unique set list, the amazing atmosphere more than deserves it!

Oh and one thing I certainly agree with you on once_divided -- it would have been fab to hear Ed's rendition of Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns again. At Reading that had me near blubbing.

Think my comments have been taken out of context! I certainly didn't want to offend anybody! Just there was a 'gal' in front of me who kept putting make-up on???
    to truly understand the present,
    you must learn to appreciate the past.
  • Options
    if the people that are always in the front act decently in the line ( and not bring their fuckin late friends all the time to in front of the others) maybe, maybe the portuguese flags will be more calm. If the same shit happens like in 2006 and 2007 then be prepared to another peaceful portuguese invasion.

i´ve already know their faces and only in 2 shows (of the 8 i attended) there weren´t people being smart asses: madrid 2006 and dusseldorf 2007.In Madrid because me and my group didn´t let them and in dusseldorf because of Marit´s list. There was 1 person that cheated their front line place but the rats moment compensate that.
  • Options
    Its been almost a week since the PJ gig at Wembley, and its only now that I've only been able to talk about it because I was so overwhelmed!

A little disappointed in the set list because it is twice in the last six months that I've seen them and they haven't played their biggest hits but OMG what a show!

I travelled all the way from Sydney to make this gig and it was definitely worth it! Eddie and the boys were amazing, words can't describe how incredible the concert was!

Hope we don't have to wait another 7 years for PJ to play in London!

xx
  • Options
    OasisOasis Posts: 54
    gregmac666 wrote:
    Well I gotta say, with a heavy heart, that I was somewhat under-whelmed by the gig. I am surprised to be typing this, but I do feel that the show lacked energy throughout - the fact that the band pretty-much ignored the first four albums didn't help.

I enjoyed many of the lesser played tracks - it was a pleasure to hear Crazy Mary, SOLAT & I Got ID, both of which surprised me greatly - but I can't help but feel that the band never really got above 3rd gear because of all the mid-tempo tracks that formed the set, even if those track are good in their own right.

PJ are a ROCk band, and I just don't think they rocked hard enough that night.

I watched the band playing, and they certainly seemed to be a having a good time, which was a pleasure to see & experience, and I enjoyed watching the crowd... I just felt a little on the outside throughout it all.

I have to say it - for a band that have taken so long to play the UK on one of their 'tours', I would have expected them to make sure that they play a good selection from all of their albums. Mainly for those in the audience that may never have been to a PJ gig, and so would be wanting to hear some of the all-time great track.

I'm not saying that I wanted them to play a 'greatest hits' set, just one that recognizes their vast catalogue of releases.

Perhaps for a majority of those seeing the band for the first time, that was itself enough to have a superb night. I understand this, and have seen this in effect on a crowd before (in the same venue for the RHCP, who were also not at their best that evening but had the crowd going wild). However, I know some that were hoping to hear some of those earlier, rockier songs, and so left disappointed.

I have to give the band the benefit of the doubt. They don't always want to play those early songs, and I guess they can get pretty damn bored of them after all these years, but next time perhaps they'll mix the new in with the old. Even if the older tracks are not the expected (hits) tracks.

Perhaps next time the band will also do more than 1 show in the UK, so those of us that do not travel abroad so much can see a few shows over here & so increase our chances of hearing a broader selection of tracks from one of our favorite bands.

I personally was dying to hear Black, Rearviewmirror and Better Man, but besides that I was happy with the setlist and it was my first time at a Pearl Jam gig.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I had a great time at the gig.

But look at this. A man with one leg, in a wheelchair, destroying everyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmLNFOQSSao

This is the next level to beat, PJ! :)
  • Options
    emignacioemignacio Posts: 12
    Have you emailed Wembley Arena to see if it was found or handed in?

Try Customer.Services@Livenation.co.uk

thanks for your reply and concern! unfortunately, yes, I'd been calling wembley every day since the concert...nothing's been turned in :o(

take good care & thanks again,
    Em
    make yourself a pact, not to shut doors on the past
    just for today,... I am free

I will not lose my faith
    It's an inside job today