Options

*** Virginia Beach Fanviews Here 6/17/2008 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,942
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Set List: Long Road, Corduroy, Severed Hand, All Night, I Am Mine, Small Town, Faithful, Low Light, Evacuation, Given To Fly, Green Disease, Not For You/("Modern Girl" by Sleater-Kinney), Sleight Of Hand, Even Flow, Wish List, Insignificance, Do The Evolution, Rearviewmirror

Encore 1: Comatose, Why Go, Better Man, Jeremy

Encore 2: Guaranteed, Alive, Rockin' In The Free World with The Kings Of Leon (by Neil Young)

Please share your Fanviews of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Love that Guaranteed was mixed in...proving to be an epic tour. Thank you to the 10C members who posted their thoughts on the shows on these threads, have really enjoyed them being on the West Coast.
    Adampharris
    1992: Phoenix, Desert Sky Pavilion
    1998: RFK Stadium -- Tibetan Freedom
    1998: Great Western Forum I
    2000: Greek Theater
    2006: Great Western Forum I
    2008: The Wiltern (EV SOLO)
    2008: VH1 The Who Tribute
    2009: LA I, LA III, SD
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,568
    Nice to see 'not for you' as well.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    I just got back from the show!

First, I WON THE LOTTERY!!! I got second row tickets all the way on the end of Mike's side, except there is no first row on that side, so I was actually in the front. UNBELIEVABLE! Thank you, Ten Club! I've never seen the band so close, and it was such a great treat.

On to the show:
    - The poster is very nice. It's not one of my top 10 favorites, but the best of '08 so far!
    - The phone donations thing is a good deal. I got an extra Immagine in Cornice DVD and a special t-shirt, plus a tote to keep my Reaper shirt in.

Kings of Leon came on stage around 7:25 (5 minutes early?) and ended at about 8:15. The setlist was about the same as the rest of the tour. They rocked it. "Charmer" and "McFearless" were my favorites.

Pearl Jam hit the stage at about 8:54 and it was quite windy and the full moon was out in Eddie's view. He mentioned it a few times and lifted his shirt up like a sail to catch the wind. "Long Road" into "Corduroy" opened, which oddly was the same 2 songs they played in Virginia Beach in 2000!

The crowd was just OK. Honestly, they were quite dead at times, but pretty excited for songs like "Faithfull," "Not For You," "Insignificance," "RVM," and especially "Jeremy." I think I might have been one of the only few to jump and freak out for "Evacuation"!

The setlist was OK. I enjoyed hearing the Binaural songs that are rarely played, and any Yield is good. NO NO CODE (son of a bitch!) and only two from Avocado?

"All Night" fucking rocks live.

The "Modern Girl" tag was unexpected. I loved it.

Eddie screwed up the opening chords to "Insignificance" pretty bad and apologized for it.

"Sleight of Hand" was beautiful. And I'd just like to mention that Mike McCready was a man possessed tonight. HOW DOES HE HAVE ALL THAT ENERGY EVERY SHOW?! Good lord.

The first encore was good, but I was hoping for a longer one with different songs. "Guaranteed" was REALLY nice, though. Sounded beautiful.

"RITFW" with Kings of Leon was a highlight of the night. The band was on fire. KOL are amazing.

And at the end of the show, I caught Jeff's wristband!!! WOOO!!!

Thank you again, Ten Club, for this amazing experience. I hope everyone else had as much of a fun time as I did. Now I need to get some rest after 2.5 hours of jumping and screaming and clapping and get ready for Iron Maiden tomorrow night haha.

SEE YOU ALL IN D.C.!
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    i.....i....can't speak

just drove 3 hours back, will give a review tomorrow

amazing...reassured me that they are my favorite band

I called long road...Not For YOu was one of the best versions I have ever heard, the crowd was crazy for this one, as well as Faithful. I disagree with the above, the crowd was extremely energetic, except for the back but it was amazing!!

GIVEN TO FUCKIN FLY!!!!! oh my godddd

HUGE ... LONG review tomorrow i promise! ;)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    Just drove back three hours as well..

Well Ive been looking for a Yield/Binaural set, as mentioned in a previous thread and this was def it- so thank the pj gods. I got to hear All Night which was a first. The first set rocked, and then encore 1 and 2 blew, and were way too short. The set couldve been another 5-7 songs longer. Not counting Long Road, All Night was the only B side which was weird after seeing the past few sets. In terms of what they played- it all sounded great. It was a great RVM, and even a great Why Go- which usually isnt a song that strikes me. I was third row on mikes side and there were these girls in front of him that he was flirting with the whole night- it seemed to distract him but he still went into his own world during certain songs.
    Highlight for me was probably Faithful into Lowlight- sounded great. Weird that there were No Code- I was really hoping for Who You Are since they didnt play it last night, they rarely skip the entire No Code album like this- usually at least Hail Hail but maybe they felt they played too much last night. Im going to four other shows so hopefully I get Who You Are and Undone- they keep testing it- I better get it!
    Poster is glorious-
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    AntreaperAntreaper Posts: 256
    officially excited. 2 days.
    "It's as comfortable as can be. But when you're on stage playing with Neil, well -- it's one thing to be at the zoo and watch an animal pace around its cage. It's another to be in the cage with him." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,737
    iwow, another amazing set.....

when they open up with long road you know your on a winner......superb opener.....
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Long Road, Sleight Of Hand, and 5 tracks from Yield. This is one I'm gonna buy.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,133
    guarenteed could be the start of more i.t.t.w songs ,nice to see cant wait for boot
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    I don't think there's been a show without Why Go in yet. :D
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Yummmmmmmmmmmm, Sleight Of Hand
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Comatose is back! Fantastic!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    milanmilan Posts: 447
    Wow.
    Great venue, great sound, and bloody hell Faithful was just brilliant. Much too short set. Hopefully longer in DC

Just met Jeff boarding on the boardwalk - only kidding, I wish.

Milan
    '06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II

'22 Berlin / London I / London Ii

(37)
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    good set,,but compared to the others so far ... eh
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    Oh I was hoping they would pull out Sleight of Hand

please, play it in Camden, please!!!!
  • Options
    drlovemonkeydrlovemonkey Posts: 394
    NY PJ1 wrote:

That was my 1st thought when I read the setlist.

Man, we are becoming spoiled brats.
  • Options
    BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    i felt like the crowd was energetic. i was in section 103, row E. Pretty good seats. We were kinda on the side past mike. Had a good view of the side stage where we got to see Matt, Mike, and Eddie hang out and watch Kings of Leon off and on throughout their set. Got a pretty cool video of Ed on the side and he waved at us. Well it was in our direction so I will say it was at us. I love the set. Some people aren't impressed but to hear Faithful, Low Light, Insignificance, and All Night were amazing. This is the first time I heard anything off Binaural so I was really excited. Sleight of Hand sounded great too. The encores were kinda short. I always wish they played longer though but I don't feel cheated. Eddie's voice wasn't great. I mean it wasn't bad but it seemed to be going in and out at times. Hopefully he can gargle plenty of salt water surfing today on this day off and be fine. I just hope he's not getting sick b/c I got the 2 Camden shows to go to. Plus I am really excited about the MSG boots as well.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    That was my 1st thought when I read the setlist.

Man, we are becoming spoiled brats.

nah not even spoiled,, its a great set but like i said i think the others were a few notches up

still awesome though
  • Options
    Vedder1029Vedder1029 Posts: 179
    This was a GREAT show for all the Binaural and Yield lovers... Faithful/Sleight/Evac... NICE!

My wife (8 mo pregnant) and I got there pretty early and chilled for a bit... She was rockin that belly too! I think it was probably the most comfortable show temp wise that I've been too. Nice cool breeze in the low 70's...We had 13th row Orch seats! Great seats I should say!

Overall not one of the best setlists this tour, but TONS of energy during the first set! Main set - AWESOME - Encores - What Happened?? Seemed like half the crowd lost all their energy! PJ returned for the 1st encore around 10:25. I could tell they rushed through the 4 encore songs. Guess the 11pm curfew was looming....

Ed talked about VA Beach being the first place they played after Denmark 2000. Telling everyone thanks for helping the band through that rough time in their lives... He pointed out the full moon behind the crowd, seemed to please him quite a bit.... I think he noticed it halfway through the 3rd or 4th song, and he jumped up and ran over to Stone - pointed it out to Stone while he was playing, Stone kind of gave a quick nod like "what you've never seen it before"?

Overall, great show Guaranteed was the highlight for me!

On to DC!
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    least favorite set so far.....although I love the addition of Guaranteed.

CANNOT WAIT FOR TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    cenglejrcenglejr Posts: 5
    Last night was my 7th show, and while no show is ever bad or just ok, I admit I was a little disappointed with the setlist. I saw Keelie, you know, who does the lights (actually her name was written on her chair and I think it was spelled Kille). I said hello to her and saw the freakin setlist taped up right beside her! I didn't want to look, but I just had to, so before it started I knew there would be no Who You Are, no Big Wave, no Oceans, which I thought they would play since we were at the beach. Not that I'm upset or complaining too much, it just would have been nice :) Of course, getting Guaranteed was really, really awesome! Eddie's voice was going on him a little, but he got through it wonderfully so I recommend getting this bootleg if only for that! The crowd was just ok, I could barely hear everyone singing along. I can barely speak and after all that singing and yelling, it makes you appreciate how Eddie does it night after night. On a side note, the ocean backdrop and the crossed surfboards were pretty cool. Also, Kings of Leon made a great impression on me, I'll have to listen to them more. The poster is pretty sweet, it's like a giant squid wrapped around a whale in the ocean. In conclusion, it was a great show with lots of energy from the band and Eddie jumping all over the place. Thank you so much to PJ for playing VA Beach again 8 years later!
    8/3/00 Virginia Beach
    4/15/03 Raleigh
    7/1/03 Bristow
    10/3/05 Philadelphia
    5/30/06 Washington DC
    6/24/06 Cincinnati
    6/17/08 Virginia Beach
    6/22/08 Washington DC
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 643
    Interesting that Long Road was the opener, since they opened with that in 2000....Ed must look at the old setlists!!!
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    The show was almost worth the 8 year wait since they were last here. While they were songs I would have liked to hear that they didn't play, what they did play was amazing. There was a ton of energy in this show. You could really tell the band was having a great time onstage. Mike was on fire. He tossed his guitar behind his neck for the solo on Severed Hand and just tore it up. His solos on Evenflow, Why Go, and Rockin in the Free World were mindblowing. Ed's voice was starting to go by the end of the show (he told the crowd it was going just before Jeremy), but he sounded amazing for the first 2/3 of the show. He was screaming like it was still '92.

I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned that Ed came out and sang with Kings of Leon on the last song of their set.
  • Options
    freetibet1freetibet1 Posts: 35
    I was in Section 203, and there was no energy around me. Many people choosing to sit for the ENTIRE show. Some like myself stood but felt awkward because we were blocking other people's views.

Oh well, no big deal. Still a really fun show!
  • Options
    freetibet1 wrote:
    I was in Section 203, and there was no energy around me. Many people choosing to sit for the ENTIRE show. Some like myself stood but felt awkward because we were blocking other people's views.

Oh well, no big deal. Still a really fun show!

dont feel bad ,,they need to stand
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    Agree. I dont need to hear so much from the last album.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    Agree. I dont need to hear so much from the last album.
    What, 2 songs?
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    stankratzstankratz Posts: 183
    We rolled in to Va Beach Monday night after bringing the RV 750 miles from Bonnaroo. After the spectacle I was treated to in a field in Tennessee last Sat nite I was psyched for last nite's show. The guys played another stormer of a show. I've seen some complaints about the set on the board here and I just think it's that you Americans are spoiled:L Seriously tho the set wasn't as epic as Bonnaroo but it still rocked, I freaked the f**k out for Low Light, Sleight and Faithfull. Insignificance rocked too, it was all good! I was up the back on the lawn, sound wasn't great there as expected, but the view of the crowd fading into the stage was beautiful. For anyone who doesn't think the crowd were on form last nite, I think you are wrong. Even up the back everyone was pumped. Next up I hit MSG1 and 2. Thank you Pearl Jam and co for making an Irish boy's dream come true.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    It seems like I'm always in the minority, but this is certainly NOT a shitty setlist. Might even by in my top 2 from the tour so far. Long Road? Faithful? Low Light? GUARANTEED? Oh yeah, and even though people seem to have lost their excitement for it in a couple days...All Night??!

I would have been ecstatic for ALL of these songs if I had been there.

Quick question -- was Guaranteed Eddie solo or with the entire band?
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    just eddie..if you wanna see the vid..someone put it on youtube along with half the show from virginia beach..
    "Wave to all my friends"