Options

*** Virginia Beach Fanviews Here 6/17/2008 ***

124»

Comments

• Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    Damn, am I the only one that really dug this show? I wouldn't put it in my top 5 or anything but I thought it was strong. Maybe because they played some of my personal faves -- Faithfull, Green Disease -->NFY, Wishlist with a nice tag by Ed, Low Light, Insignificance sounded amazing, reminded me a lot of the great 2000 shows but this was a perfect version IMO, Sleight of Hand (memories of Houston 2000, just incredible) Comatose kicked ass, Guaranteed was amazing, I could go on and on. All the Yield and Binaural songs reminded me a lot of 2000.

If anything I would change up the first encore -- After Comatose, maybe Black or Crazy Mary (or Inside Job!), then something like Once, State or Breath, then Why Go (or Blood). But overall it exceeded whatever my expectations were (and I try not to bring in too many, just enjoy the experience).

I wanted to hear Oceans, Big Wave or WMA so I'm glad I'm going to DC and MSG. WMA is especially one I can't wait to hear live.
  • Options
    HopperHopper Posts: 203
    i attended the tampa show also and i think the simple difference in the "attitude" of the shows is the difference between arena shows and amphitheater shows...my # is 265xxx and i was stage right at eye level with Mike in tampa...great seats and great energy...in Va Beach i was row D section 102....dead center which was great....and about 80 feet away....back to the theory....the amphitheater seating spreads every one out and no one is "on top of the band"...so it doesn't "seem" as loud no matter how loud it actually is....

anyway...Va Beach was a great show...outside with the wind and the clouds and the moon....and the smell of weed....tampa was a great show with energy and beer stink and the smell of weed...and loudness....
    "To be the man, you gotta beat the man! WOOOOOOOOO!!"
  • Options
    iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    A couple of folks at the show asked me to email them copies of my pics....And I think I even saw a posting on this board talking about somebody watching over our shoulder while my wife and I were taking these shots at the VABeach show....We had quite a few more but these are the ones we picked out....Hope yall enjoy them as much as we enjoyed the show! Thanks 10C for the awesome views!!

http://photobucket.com/pearljam-VABeach_6_17_08
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    iisee wrote:
    A couple of folks at the show asked me to email them copies of my pics....And I think I even saw a posting on this board talking about somebody watching over our shoulder while my wife and I were taking these shots at the VABeach show....We had quite a few more but these are the ones we picked out....Hope yall enjoy them as much as we enjoyed the show! Thanks 10C for the awesome views!!

http://photobucket.com/pearljam-VABeach_6_17_08

Those are great pictures you took! I was in Section 102 C so the person I was behind would have been in Section 102 B around seats 7-8 probably. Thanks for sharing them. Everyone has good cameras. Mine is a bit dated and doesn't do well in low light conditions so my pics were blurry.
    Brian
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    See, I knew I didn’t have to take pictures this time around. I knew ya’ll would.
    Great pics people.
    Thanks!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    WaterlilyWaterlily Posts: 71
    wow - some more great pics posted - thanks to all who shared...

I haven't really posted my own fanview - my opinion is simply that it was an amazing show -

After 6 shows it's hard to pick a fav one - they're all different -

For me this is what was special about the VA Beach show:

-first time seeing them in an ampitheater
    -first time hearing Long Road live - that set the tone for the whole show
    -best ten club seats I have ever had
    -hearing my fav track from Into the Wild - "Guaranteed" - that was intense
    -sitting in a section where every single person, (with the exception of a few "10c girlfriends") rocked long & hard
    -sharing it with someone who seemed to appreciate the show as much as I did
    -once again being lucky enough to see the best live band ever..
    ...there's a cloud but the Water remains calm
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone that shared some pictures.
  • Options
    Was second row center for the show. Got some great pics. Feel free to check them out!!!

http://photobucket.com/pearljam08
    Password: pearljam

There are some really amazing pictures in there! And A LOT of them. Thanks for sharing them.
    Brian
  • Options
    I loved the show.Can't wait till the new record comes out and they tour some more.
  • Options
    I loved this show. 2 rows behind the pit and we were with some great 10 clubbers. Up front was intense. In fact I thought the pit and the first few rows were I was were way better here than in DC where I had good floor seats.

Great set, Guaranteed was awesome, and Long Road again as in 2000 was chill enducing.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    'In an interview previewing the concert, McCready said the band would play a song or two from The Who as a warm-up for their VH1 performance. That never materialized.'

bummer, i wonder what songs they would've played? ed was wearing a who shirt thou.........

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/06/pearl-jam-rocks-out-beach-amphitheater

it's been a week now, and i still can't believe i was in the front row. :D

• Options
    GandJGandJ Posts: 16
    Loved hearing that tune. Saw Ed in San Diego and fell in love with everything ITW...He said he played the song tonight for a very special guest named Corrine. I am guessing it was Chris McCandliss' sister. That is her name and if I am not mistaken she lives in the Tidewater area.

How amazing to hear Eddie sing a song he wrote about her brother.

It was awesome.
  • Options
    GandJ wrote:
    Loved hearing that tune. Saw Ed in San Diego and fell in love with everything ITW...He said he played the song tonight for a very special guest named Corrine. I am guessing it was Chris McCandliss' sister. That is her name and if I am not mistaken she lives in the Tidewater area.

How amazing to hear Eddie sing a song he wrote about her brother.

It was awesome.

yeah i picked up on that too. it's in my review. :)
    oh duh, he said Corrine. i thought he said Green and it was some kind of code for her.

anybody else see what was sitting on boom's organ/keyboard?

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    iluvcats wrote:
    I agree with you. :) I should know, I was in the second row of the orchestra pit and I've only been in the 10 club 9 years! Thank you Ten Club, I won the lottery! The weather was beautiful. The moon was full and I got to see my favorite band from a few feet away. We took 78 pics. Some are blurry.
    All Night sounded really great! They played Faithfull. That was adorable :)
    I think they rocked their asses off. They played Severed Hand (just like I asked, I used to have it in my signature line!) I love NFY!!!! We have three pj guitar pics as well.

We just got home. We went down to the shore yesterday and today. A girl could not swim and two lifeguards rescued her. First her arms were straight up in the air....finally she went under. The guard just got there and he went under and found her. Thank God!!! She hugged the lifeguard, I would have too!

This is great that I won the lottery (I was born in VA, is that why?)
    Sneak peak at my pics....
    here is me in front of the stage before it started
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/65mustangTS/PJ%20VA%20%20Beach%20June%2017%202008/IMG_0526.jpg
    and here is ed toward the end (wow he was handing out tambourines, two people next to me got them) I got a Jeff Ament guitar pic and an EV! Not sure about the other one, my husband has it....
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/65mustangTS/PJ%20VA%20%20Beach%20June%2017%202008/ed_VABch2008.jpg
    here are my tickets and the guitar pics
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/65mustangTS/PJ%20VA%20%20Beach%20June%2017%202008/PJVABchTixGuitarPics.jpg

Haha, I was sitting about 4-5 seats to your left. (as you look at the stage)
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    btw, I have some great pics....

It will be a day or two before I get them posted, but check back....they are great pics....
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    the only word i can really describe my experience at this show was "wow". absolutly amazing. It made me so happy just to get to see them again. I really cursed Virginia (being stationed here with the navy) until I knew Pearl Jam was coming, which of course was their first time to be back in 8 years. I didn't have great seats (lawn) but I really can't complain about paying 5 bucks to see the greatest band to ever walk the earth. This was by far one the greatest experiences of my life and I will never EVER forget it!

Thanks Eddie!
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • Options
    giluvsumrgiluvsumr Posts: 6
    Heres a few more from Va. Beach. Haveb't had a chance to upload them all yet but, these are pretty good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8617546@N07/sets/72157605822291500/
    Ten Club has to find a better way to support long term members.
  • Options
    WaterlilyWaterlily Posts: 71
    giluvsumr wrote:
    Heres a few more from Va. Beach. Haveb't had a chance to upload them all yet but, these are pretty good.

Wow - these are impressive -
    thanks for posting..
    ...there's a cloud but the Water remains calm
  • Options
    giluvsumr wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Those are really good pics.
    Brian
  • Options
    wow i really wish i would have been that close. i was back on the lawn, but I really can't be upset. I just wish I would have been able to get some pictures.
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • Options
    Just downloaded the boot for the show.I remember Rear View Mirror was really good that night,but upon listening to it again I am comfortable saying it is the best version ever played by the band.I fucking love Pearl Jam.Brings tears to my eyes.
  • Options
    i'm flipping out right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

found a vid of mike tossing his pick to me. :D

3:31
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stQRpPT3DrY

screen capt
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/blondieblue227/concert/pj08/throw.jpg

mike you ROCK!
    thank you!

• Options
    sqrlnuts89sqrlnuts89 Posts: 27
    I'm listening to the bootleg right now.....i must say we are a damn good sounding crowd!!!
    Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
    Were laid spread out before me as her body once did.
    All five horizons revolved around her soul
    As the earth to the sun
    Now the air I tasted and breathed has taken a turn

DC May 06
    VA Beach June 08
    DC June 08
  • Options
    Congrats on finding that video Blondie. And yes I thought we sounded great. I've yet to hear the show except for youtube videos. Can't wait for the CD. Wish it was available on vinyl though.
  • Options
    Congrats on finding that video Blondie. And yes I thought we sounded great. I've yet to hear the show except for youtube videos. Can't wait for the CD. Wish it was available on vinyl though.

~ :D:D ~

• Options
    Anyone know how long it takes for the actual bootleg album to be shipped? Because I bought it two days after the show, and it's still not here. I guess I just have to be patient. :(
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I was third row on mikes side and there were these girls in front of him that he was flirting with the whole night- it seemed to distract him but he still went into his own world during certain songs.

Hi Spot In the Sky,

I was reading the messages in the Va Bch thread, a concert that I too attended & came across your comment about Mike flirting with the girls in Row 1. Just thought you'd be interested...these girls had won a contest (PJ contest? - I'd like to know) & were given VIP seats/accommodations for several concerts on the tour. My husband, son & I met them the previous night in Columbia after that concert. I think I remember them saying that they had had the chance to get to know Mike a little, perhaps some backstage time in the winnings. My husband & I were on row 2, right behind the girls & in front of Mike. You may remember me because I had to sit & catch my breath a few times during some slower songs, because I have terminal cancer & I did not want to take the chance that I wouldn't have the strength to jump and sing during my favorites! I love this band!!!!!! Ann
  • Options
    wookeezwookeez Posts: 17
    Wow, not only was this one of the best shows I have yet seen, the bootleg CD backs up my drunken state memories. If you want to relive the night, order the boot, sound is great and we sure can sing our asses off! You couldn't ask for a better night and the band was totally into it. Was nice they mentioned being back at VA Beach, the first placed they played after the tragedy in ROKSLIDE, and the welcome they received, I recall that night singing "It's Okay" repeatedly to help them heal their wounds.

I won the lottery as well, sitting only 10 rows back in the Orchestra pit, dead center, so that always makes the show an unforgettable experience.

Can't wait to see EV in a few weeks!
    I am mine!
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    I was third row on mikes side and there were these girls in front of him that he was flirting with the whole night- it seemed to distract him but he still went into his own world during certain songs.

Hi Spot In the Sky,

I was reading the messages in the Va Bch thread, a concert that I too attended & came across your comment about Mike flirting with the girls in Row 1. Just thought you'd be interested...these girls had won a contest (PJ contest? - I'd like to know) & were given VIP seats/accommodations for several concerts on the tour. My husband, son & I met them the previous night in Columbia after that concert. I think I remember them saying that they had had the chance to get to know Mike a little, perhaps some backstage time in the winnings. My husband & I were on row 2, right behind the girls & in front of Mike. You may remember me because I had to sit & catch my breath a few times during some slower songs, because I have terminal cancer & I did not want to take the chance that I wouldn't have the strength to jump and sing during my favorites! I love this band!!!!!! Ann

Those are some lucky gals...and they were pretty good looking.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com