Options

*** Virginia Beach Fanviews Here 6/17/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    so has the band (finally) given up on closing w/ Yellow Led? I mean I like that song, but its nice to see that there is some surprise on what they might close with.
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    so has the band (finally) given up on closing w/ Yellow Led? I mean I like that song, but its nice to see that there is some surprise on what they might close with.

I think I'm a good luck charm with that. I've seen them 7 times and have only seen them close with YLB 2x...pretty good odds all things considered
  • Options
    CalAllenCalAllen Posts: 4
    I was there in sec. 102 row j. It was dead center with a perfect view of Eddie and the boys. The highlight of my night was hearing I Am Mine. It almost brought a tear to my eye, maybe because i was overwhelmed with excitement. KOL were in tip-top shape as well, and it was great to see Eddie come out with them. I was kinda thinking he might, knowing how much he like the band and this being their last show with them. Overall it wasn't a superlong set but it was packed with yummy goodness...
    That what you fear the most could meet you halfway.

10.15.2000 Houston (Supergrass)
    10.17.2000 Dallas (Supergrass)
    5.17.2006 Chicago (My Morning Jacket)
    8.4.2008 Chicago (Lollapalooza)
    10.4.2009 Austin (Austin City Limits)
    8.5.2007 Chicago (Lollapalooza)
    6.17.2008 Virginia Beach, VA (Kings of Leon)
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    I think the 11pm curfew killed the encore suspense.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    I gotta agree with this TO AN EXTENT. I mean, I'll never tell the person I'm with that they gotta act a certain way at a show or anything. If they want to stand still and gape that's fine; but as a whole, the crowd matters, because we've gotta be giving energy back to the band, both because it is an integral part of the communal experience, and because they will give us a better show if they feel we are into it.

I've heard this argument a lot and I can't disagree with it, except that I've been to 18 shows now and they've all been incredible in their own way. I've given up trying to rank them, it's just impossible. The only reason I wish more people jumped around is because sometimes I feel like I'm the only maniac and I'm getting on peoples' nerves. In VA Beach there was a dude in front of me who looked like he was all roided up and he glared at me I guess because I was singing every lyric. So I kicked his ass...no I didn't, that was a test to see if you were still reading.
  • Options
    matt770 wrote:
    The only reason I wish more people jumped around is because sometimes I feel like I'm the only maniac and I'm getting on peoples' nerves. In VA Beach there was a dude in front of me who looked like he was all roided up and he glared at me I guess because I was singing every lyric. So I kicked his ass...no I didn't, that was a test to see if you were still reading.

ok people, take it from me. a person in a wheelchair who people stare at anyway.

it doesn't matter.
    go apeshit at concerts. if i can you can.

you won't see these people that are staring at you again in your life.
    so it really doesn't matter does it?

• Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    Also want to mention that this was by far the easiest venue to get in & out of. We stayed in the oceanfront area and Googled directions using back roads instead of the I-264 route. Drove down Pacific and just stayed on that for 12 miles (it changed names several times), took a right on Salem, then another right at Dam Neck. No traffic whatsoever, and we got there at 6:30. Leaving was the same, even after waiting for posters. Everyone was going in the opposite direction. Really nice venue too.

I've been to shows where it takes 2 hours to exit the parking lot. Not fun.
  • Options
    i just found an eddie vedder pick on my TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my boyfriend put it there as a surprise. (so sweet)

:):)

• Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    'nuff said, right? :D

exactly he.....all of them give their all.
    thank you pj!

iluvcats - did you see me? i was in the front row too. (wheelchair) great pics. i got a mike pic too. the ed one looks phat! you lucky ducky.

yes, i have to agree about that.

no I did not see you and I was looking for you! I saw an elderly woman in a wheel chair but I know yer not 75!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    iluvcats wrote:
    no I did not see you and I was looking for you! I saw an elderly woman in a wheel chair but I know yer not 75!

ha! yup, that wasn't me. lol. i saw her too. there were a couple of them there. i gave one a pj chick keychain.
    i got there half way thru KoL.

i had to wait for Aye Davanita to give me her extra 10c tix for my friend.
    she pulled thru nicely by the way.
    thanks AyeDavanita!

• Options
    WaterlilyWaterlily Posts: 71
    i felt like the crowd was energetic. i was in section 103, row E. Pretty good seats. We were kinda on the side past mike. Had a good view of the side stage where we got to see Matt, Mike, and Eddie hang out and watch Kings of Leon off and on throughout their set. Got a pretty cool video of Ed on the side and he waved at us. Well it was in our direction so I will say it was at us. I love the set. Some people aren't impressed but to hear Faithful, Low Light, Insignificance, and All Night were amazing. This is the first time I heard anything off Binaural so I was really excited. Sleight of Hand sounded great too. The encores were kinda short. I always wish they played longer though but I don't feel cheated. Eddie's voice wasn't great. I mean it wasn't bad but it seemed to be going in and out at times. Hopefully he can gargle plenty of salt water surfing today on this day off and be fine. I just hope he's not getting sick b/c I got the 2 Camden shows to go to. Plus I am really excited about the MSG boots as well.

Hey - I was in Section 103, Row E!
    I was the "possessed" girl in the pink shirt - rocked so hard I was sore all the next day - but well worth it - best Ten Club seats yet for me...
    ...there's a cloud but the Water remains calm
  • Options
    is there a va beach pic thread up yet?
    sound like a good idea anybody?

hehehehe
    i'm really only looking for a pic during the first song where the wind was going thru eddie's hair.
    yes, i have no shame.

but really
    it'd be nice to see everybody's pics.
    in one spot.

• Options
    is there a va beach pic thread up yet?
    sound like a good idea anybody?

hehehehe
    i'm really only looking for a pic during the first song where the wind was going thru eddie's hair.
    yes, i have no shame.

but really
    it'd be nice to see everybody's pics.
    in one spot.

That's a great idea - I have a bunch of great pics - including a couple of when Ed was singing "Guaranteed"...
  • Options
    Waterlily wrote:
    That's a great idea - I have a bunch of great pics - including a couple of when Ed was singing "Guaranteed"...

ok then
    what are you waiting for..........

start a
    ~va beach pic thread~

i mean we did for DC. but i guess you put em here. but IMO i rather not scroll thru all the reading. just wantta see pics!

• Options
    ok then
    what are you waiting for..........

start a
    ~va beach pic thread~

i mean we did for DC. but i guess you put em here. but IMO i rather not scroll thru all the reading. just wantta see pics!

the photos need to be edited a bit - i'll do it this weekend -
    still trying to recover from the 9 hour trip home and going right back to work.. :) (not that it wasn't worth it!)
  • Options
    UndoneUndone Posts: 12
    I thought it was great! I took my 10 year old son, and except for some mild disappointment that they didn't play his favorite two songs - Life Wasted and Animal - he had a fantastic time as well. He was jumping up and down and trying to follow the motions of the crowd. We were in Section 101 Row E (Stone's side), which were my best seats in 3 PJ concerts. With the angle and a little moving around, my son was able to see the band pretty well. The people around us were very kind when he invaded their space some. It was his second concert - the first being Rolling Stones. He wants to join the Ten Club now. My husband usually goes with me, but we live in Wichita, KS now and my son was already in Va. Beach staying with my parents for some of his summer vacation. They are probably going to fight over any future PJ concerts.

I think Faithfull was the highlight of the night for me, but I also especially enjoyed Long Road, All Night, Low Light, Guaranteed and Green Disease. I don't even like Evacuation that much and I enjoyed that too. Maybe since I don't get many chances, I love whatever I get. Great night to share with my son. A lot of people would talk to him, but he's pretty shy and didn't respond much. My favorite line was when a guy told him to "Respect and Remember, dude."
  • Options
    smokenatreesmokenatree Posts: 100
    I thought va beach was an average show at best. I had seen them the night before in sc and I thought the sc show was AWESOME and the crowd was electric. If anyone cares, I have been thinking about my favorite pearl jam shows over the past 12 years that I have attended.
    1. SC 6-16-08
    2. MSG I 2003 tour
    3. Charlotte 2003 tour
    4. East Rutherford 2 2006 tour
    5. Vic Theater 2007
    These were all awesome I thought, but I felt really let down at VA beach. Hopefully msgs and mansfields will be better! Have fun everyone!
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    I thought va beach was an average show at best. I had seen them the night before in sc and I thought the sc show was AWESOME and the crowd was electric. If anyone cares, I have been thinking about my favorite pearl jam shows over the past 12 years that I have attended.
    1. SC 6-16-08
    2. MSG I 2003 tour
    3. Charlotte 2003 tour
    4. East Rutherford 2 2006 tour
    5. Vic Theater 2007
    These were all awesome I thought, but I felt really let down at VA beach. Hopefully msgs and mansfields will be better! Have fun everyone!

I too think the Va Beach show was average...and I was also at the SC show...perhaps, due to fact I think SC was the best show I've seen, my viewpoint is skewed...
  • Options
    Waterlily wrote:
    the photos need to be edited a bit - i'll do it this weekend -
    still trying to recover from the 9 hour trip home and going right back to work.. :) (not that it wasn't worth it!)

sure, take your time. i know what you mean. DC was like that for me a bit.

Undone wrote:
    My husband usually goes with me, but we live in Wichita, KS now and my son was already in Va. Beach staying with my parents for some of his summer vacation. They are probably going to fight over any future PJ concerts.

Created a monster didja? :)

when i think about the way my guy acted at the first pj show i took him to in 2000, he's done a 180. he now sings and dances. it pleases me so!

ten club official pics of 08 tour:
    http://www.pearljam.com/tour/index-photos.php#

• Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    doesn't anyone have any good pics from the show? whats the deal
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    doesn't anyone have any good pics from the show? whats the deal

lol. you read my mind.
    hopfully they'll come out of the woodwork soon.
    i've only seen iluvcats post pics.

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,930
    I had a wonderful time at the show. Well worth coming over from the UK for. Great music and meeting some great PJ fans. We rocked out (thanks Weenie, MiamiTony and Terror13)! Looking forward to DC and meeting even more fans. :):):)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Ok - so after a little amateur phot-editing (mostly cropping out people's heads in the seats in front of us) here are a few decent pics of an amazing show -

Hopefully the link below works - enjoy!

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/Waterlily1550/
  • Options
    great pics!

wow, ed caught some major air it looks like.

thanks!

• Options
    great pics!

wow, ed caught some major air it looks like.

thanks!

sure - glad u liked them -
    yeah - I'm sure youk now how pumped Ed was that nite - as was Mike - !!incredible energy at this show.. it was tangible..
  • Options
    My first Post

My first PJ concert.
    06/17/08

A great show. Wonderful energy.
    For me a good setlist too.
    (but, what do I know)

Great seats. Thanks to a long time 10C member
    who provided the impetus to go to the show.
    I'm so very happy I did.

Thanks Waterlily for the Pics.
    They look great. I only wish I had taken mine.
    Instead I bought one of those disposible ones and the pics
    look like they did too.

Thanks to all the PJ fans I've met and found.
    You guys are what drives the band and the fellowship.
  • Options
    Was second row center for the show. Got some great pics. Feel free to check them out!!!

http://photobucket.com/pearljam08
    Password: pearljam
    "...Never take it seriously. You never take it seriously, you never get hurt; you never get hurt, you always fun; and if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store, and visit your friends."
  • Options
    sqrlnuts89sqrlnuts89 Posts: 27
    Wow those are some REALLY GOOD pics. i'm so jealous, i was back in the lawn and didn't get any pics at all.

what was up with the whole no chairs, no blankets rule for the lawn???

that was my first VA Beach amphitheatre show, do they do that normally? or was it a livenation rule?
    Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
    Were laid spread out before me as her body once did.
    All five horizons revolved around her soul
    As the earth to the sun
    Now the air I tasted and breathed has taken a turn

DC May 06
    VA Beach June 08
    DC June 08
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Thanks to all who have posted pics. Hopefully there will be more who share. I know there was someone in front of me in Secton 102 who was getting some awesome shots. I know because I was looking over his shoulder at the screen on his camera as he was taking them.
    Brian
  • Options
    jessykawjessykaw Posts: 29
    Here's my first post.

This was my second Pearl Jam concert. My first was at Charlotte, NC in 1996. I really can't compare the two because the first was so surreal nothing will ever come close. It was great seeing them play live again. I was planning on getting a lawn seat for this show, but my sister-in-law won tickets two weeks ago. We ended up with pretty decent seats considering they were not 10c tickets. We were in 103 row M. They were 10 rows behind the pit. The crowd around us was pretty tame. I did see pockets of movers and shakers in front of us. We decided we didn't care if people judged us. It had been 12 years since I had seen them and 8 years for my sister-in-law. We got into it. The only time I saw everyone come to life was during their "greatest hits" songs.

Highlights for me were:

1) Mike's solo during Even Flow. It was sick and we were able to see Ed on the side stage smoking a cigarette, drinking wine, cheering his bottle with the crew, and getting into the solo.

2) Jeremy...I love this song and it was the first song that got me hooked to Pearl Jam. The crowd was great for this one. The "woo..woos" were awesome.

3) Guaranteed was a pure treat. The whole Into the Wild soundtrack is strong. It was great to hear this live.

I have to say this about Virginia concerts, there is usually a weird vibe. I have followed other bands and crowds vary from location to location. One night I went to a show in Raleigh, NC that had a pumped crowd. The next night in Charlottesville, VA the crowd just stood in one spot. Maybe there is a conservative nature with us Virginians. I don't know. Of course this does not apply to all of us, but it has been a trend I have seen at concerts. It kills me because it is so important for the crowd to give the band feedback. How can a band give it their all and get into the performance if the crowd is just sitting there staring at them. Stand. Dance. Clap. DO SOMETHING!

I agree this was probably not the best Pearl Jam show in history, but the fact is that a BAD Pearl Jam show is still a GOOD Pearl Jam show...you know what I mean.

I'll be at the D.C. show tomorrow night. I think I have a better seat, so I can't wait. Hope to meet some of you there.

Here is a link to my pictures and my sister-in-law's pictures. Her's are the better ones.

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j188/jessykaw/Pearl%20Jam%20VB/
    Charlotte: 10/4/96
    Virginia Beach: 6/17/08
    D.C.: 6/22/08
    D.C.: 8/17/08 (Vedder solo)