Options

*** Virginia Beach Fanviews Here 6/17/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    on a side note: you people that are sayin the setlist is/was weak, or that it sucked compared to other shows/venues this tour... get real... that was a kick ass setlist, and more than anything, it was a fun time..everyone i saw was having fun and jamming out to the music, and thats what its all about.. that virginia beach show was kick ass!
    "Wave to all my friends"
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    just eddie..if you wanna see the vid..someone put it on youtube along with half the show from virginia beach..

Fuck I love that song.

THANK YOU!
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 191
    Got back to Raleigh around 3AM last night after a great show of songs you do not get to hear every day.

The band (Ed and Mike mostly) was really trying to get the crowd into the night but the crowd were very subdued (in the front anyway) as soon as "Severed Hand" started. Ed addressed the crowd a number times and checked on the back at least twice (maybe more). He gave away more tambourines during "Rocking In The Free World" then I have ever seen and I haven't seen Mike throw that many hand fulls of picks into the crowed since 98'.

We were 5th row in front of Stone and only the couple next to us, and two couples in front of us, were really into it the entire time (didn't really check behind me). The group in front of Mike was going nuts (woo hoo!) but the entire center section in front of Ed was dead. A guarantee like "Even Flow" didn't get them moving much but they did enjoy "Alive."

/Rant/
    And when did people start sitting down between the main set and the encore?!?! I know we are all getting old but come on! ;-)
    /End Rant/

Anyway, being the first show of this tour for me, I really like the new poster-wrist-band policy. No need for me to "guard" my poster from feet and spilled beverages. Great idea!

I enjoyed the set - epically the more rare ones like "Long Road," "All Night," Faithful," and "Low Light". Being just another rung on the latter for corporate America these past 9 years, I LOVE it when they play "Green Disease" and "Slight Of Hand." The story about how "I Am Mine" was written in the VA Beach hotel room the night before the 2000 show was also touching.

Being newly married I haven't had a chance to listen to the new Ed stuff (I know I know - I suck) but "Guaranteed" seems like a GREAT song.

Overall not one of the best show experiences I have been to but that is more due to a lack of crowd feedback, in my opinion, then the set or the band. The only real song mishap I noticed was that "All Night" was a bit rough but no-one seemed to know the song so no worries there. Hopefully it was more kicking in the back seats and the lawn.

I was sweaty and tired at the end so it was a great show for me. See you all in DC!
    - ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Great seeing Sleight of Hand. :) Setlists from every show has been superb so far.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    My day started off shitty (literally). Couldn't sleep all night because my 3 dogs decided to sleep with me on a twin mattress and wouldn't leave. I woke up to a colitis attack :-\ . While driving out, I had to keep stopping, and it felt like the worst trip of my life. I got to Norfolk and saw the Tides plays the Yankees. It was really fun, sat 3 rows away from the field in the sun. It was a good way to waste time before the show.

We got to the show (I went with my dad because he had a business meeting in Norfolk the same day, so why not?), and got our tickets in section 101 row F. EXCELLENT SEATS. Stone's side with an angle directly at Ed. I traded in one of my really really old starteck (if anyone remembers those) for the bag with dvd and poster (GREAT DEAL).

Anyhoot...KOL gets on around 7:25 and played. I have loved KOL for a while but have never seen them. THEY BLEW ME AWAY. I have never seen an opening band rock a crowd like that for a PJ show. In the middle of their set I look around and see that the place is like 70% full for them! Then it was mentioned that we were the best crowd they have had so far for this PJ tour. Ed came out and it seemed like the place was full and played one of the greatest versions of Slow Nights, So Long. He was going all our banging the tamborine jumping up and down, going crazy.

It also hit me that during the KOL set that I looked around and saw that there were SO MANY HOTT WOMEN. What the hell? I love VA beach Good job men bringing hot dates!

I met a guy infront of me from Boston and a guy to the right of me from Indiana (his friend was passed out the whole show on an acid trip, lol). Everyone was talking about what would open? I said Long Road, and I was right

Long FUCKIN Road, sounded beautiful, I love how Ed changes vocal keys and hits the notes higher at the end. The moon was full and looking directly at Ed from behind us, and Ed commented on that. Corduroy was great kept up the energy as well as Severed Hand. ALL NIGHT played. A lot of people in the crowd didn't really know what it was, but for those in the 100s section and some on the floor in the pit, it was a nice tune.

After All Night Ed stated that this was their first time back since 2000, and the 2000 show was the first show after Denmark, and that the band owe's us for helping them get through that show. Then I Am Mine was played for that fact. Small Town again, another nice tune the kept those in the back into it.

I wanna stop here and talk about the crowd because I've heard mix things so far. For me, the crowd was excellent! Yes the lawn and 200's had very little energy, barely doing any of the hand signs for any songs but the 100s was FUCKIN ROCKIN. Especially the section next to me in 102. This guy to the left of me took off his shirt when Corduroy started and said to his girlfriend LETS GO, and he was going ape shit getting the angst out. Awesome crowd in my opinion, better than I expected.

Faithful, Low Light, Evacuation, Given To Fly, Green Disease, Not For You/("Modern Girl" by Sleater-Kinney), Sleight Of Hand

WHAT???? Let me repeat that

Faithful, Low Light, Evacuation, Given To Fly, Green Disease, Not For You/("Modern Girl" by Sleater-Kinney), Sleight Of Hand

WHAT????????????????

Faithful, was absolutely brilliant. The crowd went nuts, no lie. I have never seen Faithful rock that hard. Ed let us sing the chorus part twice! Low Light was totally unexpected and since Yield is my favorite, kept me lovin this band! Ed even changed the key for the vocals at the end making it much more higher. Evacuation........Ed described the song before it, and when they started playing it, many people couldn't understand what it was for the first 10 seconds. It was kind of dull for the crowd until the chorus part EVACUAAAAATIOOOOON, great to hear totally unexpected. Green fuckin Disease...favorite song on Riot Act, crowd favorite "well I guess there's nothing wrong with what YOU SAY"...haha love it

Not For You...my highlight of the show. Everyone around me was like, that was the best version I've heard in a LONG TIME. The chorus had everybody getting out their angst, including my father. "Seats just 4????" During the interlude Ed tried to get us to sing after him but it was hard to figure out and he was like "fuck it that was bad", haha. But the ending, WOW, I almost fell over the chair infront of me. Then Sleigh Of Hand, another tour opener was great to hear, the crowd really appreciated it actually.

Even Flow blew me out of this water. Mike was on FIRE, his solo was really really long, and towards the end he was just hitting every high note possible while Matt was laying down some LOUD beats that were unimaginable. Wishlist was nice...Insignificance started and it sounded fine, but in the beginning Ed was like "AHHH I FUCKED UP" but they kept goin, great rockin tune especially after the interlude, crowd got pumped for it.

DTE sounded great as usual. The ending when Ed us supposed to be screaming the whole time, he did...better than he has in a while!! It was great...Rearview Mirror was an excellent version, and when they stopped the place was so fuckin loud for them to come out again.

Comatose was a suprise, didn't get the crowd going as much as I thought it would. Why Go was good as always. Ed dedicated Betterman to the people in the back, lol! Jeremy was AWESOME, I loved it, and I usually don't. As always the ending was great!

When Ed came out sitting on the chair, I thought that it couldn't be No More. He said that there was someone in the audience tonight that it's for and it's from a movie that he wrote for. Guaranteed started and got a lot of cheers and applause, which was awesome. Great version, I hope this is the start that FAR BEHIND will be played soon

Alive started and I was like, really? it's over? common!! But it was the usual amazing Alive. RITFW started with KOL and everyone was jumping up and down hands in the air going crazy. The ending jam seemed like it would never stop.

Overall...on a scale 1-10...8
    Crowd was much better than I thought it would be

PEARL JAM sounds better than they have in 10 years in my opinion. They sound better than '06, '05, '04, '03 and MAYBE even 2000. They just sound so much HARDER than they have in recent years and Ed seems like he's immortal
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    shackles31shackles31 Posts: 26
    This was my 7th show, and a Lucky number 7 at that. The set list was great. Yield is the best so hearing Lowlight/Faithfull/Wishlist and Given to Fly, my personal favorite off the album was Awesome. Long Rd was a first for me. Loved it. Alot of uptempo songs which for me is a plus. The thing that made this show my All time favorite was being there and seeing it with my brother. Wish they woulve played Yellow Ledbetter for him his favorite, but he loved the RITFW finale.
  • Options
    KrysiewiczKrysiewicz Posts: 20
    stankratz wrote:
    We rolled in to Va Beach Monday night after bringing the RV 750 miles from Bonnaroo. After the spectacle I was treated to in a field in Tennessee last Sat nite I was psyched for last nite's show. The guys played another stormer of a show. I've seen some complaints about the set on the board here and I just think it's that you Americans are spoiled:L Seriously tho the set wasn't as epic as Bonnaroo but it still rocked, I freaked the f**k out for Low Light, Sleight and Faithfull. Insignificance rocked too, it was all good! I was up the back on the lawn, sound wasn't great there as expected, but the view of the crowd fading into the stage was beautiful. For anyone who doesn't think the crowd were on form last nite, I think you are wrong. Even up the back everyone was pumped. Next up I hit MSG1 and 2. Thank you Pearl Jam and co for making an Irish boy's dream come true.
    I agree with you Im american though, I cant stand that anyone would say anything negative about this setlist. They played awesome I think more of a greatest hits night but overall it was great, Id rather them play a show then not a show so to me even if they played shit covers from the 80's Id still love it.

Also the reason for the crowd not really into to it was this I think " I spoke to the guy who runs the Live Nation promotions for the VA Beach he said they show never sold out and that they gave alot of tickets away and they sold tickets for 5 dollars to low income families." As cool as that is probably most of them only knew the song Last kiss and alive.

The poster is amazing! the colors are beatiful THERE WERE ALOT LEFT BEHINDI got mine when ther was like amybe 5 people around me and the parking lot was almost empty and there was at least 70 still there.

I also was on Spin.com for the picture with the zach and my stick guy tat. Also i was in the review!

Love the show!
    DC 06, Pittsburg 06, DC 08, VA Beach 08,Eddie Solo DC & Baltimore, Philadelphia oct 31 2009
  • Options
    debzilladebzilla Posts: 38
    me being an unlucky person, was fortunate enough to get 2nd row! we were
    just behind the girls in pink on mike's side. BTW before I start, I want to mention something to whoever said something about people sitting here and there. The woman that sat next to me has terminal cancer, and had to sit to conserve energy, so...anyhoo, I had a blast! set list i thought was awesome, yes, it was a little different, but loved it..good to here some songs live that arent played too often. I thought the crowd was good, although at times i turned around to kinda pump my arms up, to get people going. for all that sat around me that i chatted to, you guys are awesome and i hope to run into any of you in DC!!!
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    i.....i....can't speak

just drove 3 hours back, will give a review tomorrow

amazing...reassured me that they are my favorite band

I called long road...Not For YOu was one of the best versions I have ever heard, the crowd was crazy for this one, as well as Faithful. I disagree with the above, the crowd was extremely energetic, except for the back but it was amazing!!

GIVEN TO FUCKIN FLY!!!!! oh my godddd

HUGE ... LONG review tomorrow i promise! ;)
    good for you and everyone else! Nice to see evryones getting a special treat or 2 every nite.
    Leathermandi...told you. NFY, nice call on Long Road as an opener. ;) ..Release is about to come out ....Guaranteed...lol. FUCK I wanted that sonngg! :/
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    Krysiewicz wrote:

Also the reason for the crowd not really into to it was this I think " I spoke to the guy who runs the Live Nation promotions for the VA Beach he said they show never sold out and that they gave alot of tickets away and they sold tickets for 5 dollars to low income families." As cool as that is probably most of them only knew the song Last kiss and alive.

that reminds me.
    some guy handed us 2 lawn tickets we didn't even use. :(

long
    and i know this is bound to have typos.

This concert stands for ‘F’.
    Fourth Pearl Jam show
    in the
    Fucking
    Front Row!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there was ever a time were I wished the human brain had a record button last night was it. Thanks 10c lottery! I’m just going to say it now in the beginning. Eddie Vedder smiled at me, and Mike McCready threw a guitar pick at me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was like a dream it really was. Hard to believe it actually happened. I was so wired I was up until 4am last night. My brother and his gal went to Busch Gardens today. I think they are nuts. Plus driving in from Willington NC. I must be old or something. Where do they find the energy?

The usher guy tried to give me some BS when he saw where our tickets were. “m’am wheelchairs can’t sit in the front row.’ Bull, I had seen wheelchairs up there before. We had even sat up front at other concerts. (Def Leppard/Journey & Megadeth/Motley Crew) Wheelchairs are just sat off to the side. I hollered over Kings of Leon, ‘Just put me as close as possible!’ But we were definitely in the front row. I have the blue wristbands only given to first row-ers to prove it! I kept repeating to myself, ‘this is unreal, this is unreal, I can’t fucking believe this happening.’ That went on for about 15 minutes before I kind of settled down. Kind of.

We saw our old neighbor. His wife was home with their new baby. I told them we missed them because they were so nice. I gave him one of the key chains and Brian added in that I had had made them. ‘I knew you were cool!’ hahaha. It really is a small world, to see him there. He past us one other time during the show and gave me a hug. So sweet!
    I noticed the guy behind me was checking out my key chains. I had them on my wheelchair handles. So I tried to talk to him. Damn CP got in the way first, but Brian was there to touch my leg, that’s my signal and it helps me to calm down. So we had your standard pj fan chat. How many times have you seen them, what’s your favorite song, what’s your favorite album? Ah, well Ten’s a given, what’s your favorite besides Ten? I made it a point to talk to people and I’m glad I did.

Damn, I was trying to keep this short!

Their background was not that of a surprise to me. I had seen it on Bonnaroo TV the previous weekend. It was waves; it had an Asian feel to it because it was tinted brown. Mom said they didn’t use the big screens which sucked, for them. Boom has this red china lion head on his keyboard. It was tiny. So I wonder if people saw it. The type you see at street festivals. The pj surf logo was on either side of the stage. (I’d love to have that hanging on my wall!) In 06 all they had was a stuff toy bat on stage. Lol. But I love it; keep it simple, it’s all about the music.

Ed came out and started with a slow but inspirational song. The breeze was blowing just then. It was awesome looking! ….wind thru his hair. He made comments about the smoke. (He read my warnings on the chat board! Yeah right.) I was worried the smoke was going to ruin the show. But God knew I was going to a Pearl Jam show! Ed made comments about last time they were there after Rockslide happened, and thanked the VB fans for giving them strength.

My favorite two songs together were Comatose and Why Go. I sang and almost lost my voice. They did Jeremy and I was surprised Ed could still pull it off. He’s not a grandpa, but I guess I just associate that song with a young Ed. They did Insignificance, which is one of my favorites! I was close enough to see Jeff and Stone smile. That was neat. During a guitar solo I was angled just right to see Ed off in then back smoking a joint. Oh he was sloshing his wine bottle too. That’s a given….that wine bottle. I thought I saw him throw it out into the crowd. But that can’t be? It’s glass. Or did he? He dedicated Guarantee to ‘a girl named Green.’ I’m pretty sure Green is code for Chris McCandless’s sister. The book said she lived in Virginia Beach.

I think it was during Alive when Ed walked over and was right in front of me. Oh, he had a Who shirt on….kickass…ties in with my 'Magic Bus' plate frame on my van. His mic wouldn’t reach so he dropped it. He walked past me. People were rushing the stage. Scary but I didn’t notice. I was leaning over far because damn Brian was in the way. Ha! The exact moment where I looked around Brian is when Ed smiled at me. On top of that I was so stoked I didn’t go all CP-ish. I was smiling pretty, I could feel it. Brian wouldn’t lie to me, so a few minutes later I ask him if Ed looked at me. He confirmed it. Ok, I won’t deny it, Ed is old, but I swear when he smiles the age disappears and it is the cutest thing ever! He’s so intense. He may not climb the rafters anymore, but that same energy is still there. At one point Brian was trying to call attention to me by pointing at me for Ed to toss me a tambourine. I thought that was sweet of Brian.

I wasn’t on Mike’s side, which bummed me out. Just an enie weenie bit. I did catch Stone doing his neck bob. I think it’s call the Stony Pony by the fans. He did have a beard but it couldn’t hide his smile he beamed a couple times through the show. It seemed real fast after Ed smiled at me that Mike cross to my side and threw one of his picks at me. Did Ed mention to Mike to do that? I’m delusional, I know. As he threw his pick this guy reached right in front of my face to try to catch it. He hit my nose. Then I felt somebody’s elbow go right into the top of my head. Ok, bouncers poor job! None of those things hurt though because I was so pumped. Brian was down on his hands and knees trying to find the pick. I was doing my nonstop nervous anxiety giggling thing. There was no way we were going to end up with the pick. But lo and behold this guy found it and handed it to us. I think I remember looking back at the guy that had hit my nose and he told me he was sorry. That pick look like it was headed straight down my shirt if he hadn’t blocked it. heehehe! Mike got in my shirt. Ha! The Pick is yellow. A different dog on each side, with Mike’s name. Maybe his pets? I want to thank that guy for finding it for me. Mike, your fans are the best........i got the pick!

One of the rushees was this old lady. She looked about 70. As people were trying to find the pick, she handed Brian a green earplug of the ground. Gross! He threw it back on the ground fast. After the show, she started talking to me. Her daughter dates Bono’s stage manager. Who cares? Goodness. She’s in love with Eddie Vedder. Double gross! She kissed me on the check and got her bright red lipstick all over me. Triple gross! Well at least it was just her. Usually, drunks like to hang over me at concerts. I suppose it was partly my fault too. She was talking to a woman in a wheelchair and I had stopped to give her a keychain.

That’s about it. Other than running around trying to find a family restroom. Yes, the amphitheater still does not have one. I ask them to put one in every year. By the time it’s all said and done, all the staff knows I have to pee. Gggrrrrr.

I loved the look on my mom’s face when I told everybody about Ed and Mike.

seemed to be a lot more girls then at DC 06. yey!

Oh what a night………
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    It was a great show last night.Mike had a lot of energy wow.I was there and I am with most of you, the setlist was great but compared to the other ones it might be the weakest so far. I am however looking forward to hearing the recording because of Eddie messing up at the beginning of Insignificance, and I'm not sure if most people heard this but it sounded like Mike messed up the solo on Low Light. I dont know if he started out playing it in the wrong key or what, but something sounded very off to me. Over all it was a great show.
  • Options
    No one has mentioned that they jammed out in most of the songs like they never have on previous tours.I thought that Mike was better than ever.His guitar sound was different than usual.Maybe he had it cranked.It was sounding excellent.I was on the lawn on the left and to the middle.The weather was perfect and the moon was awesome.It wasn't full as everyone is saying.It was almost full.It's full today.It's gonna appear huge when it rises today.But anyway the show was great and the crowd was weird because there were pockets of people everywhere that just were not into it.But there were also lots of people having a great time to cancel those prudes out.Lots of people are complaining about the setlist.Why?It was a Pearl Jam show,what more could you ask for?Do you people want their blood?Anyway it's the only show that I could catch because of finances.I loved it.Wish I was going to D.C on Sunday.At least I got one show of the tour in.I got a poster,3 each of all the stickers,2 shirts,and a cool ass $5 bag to put it all in.
  • Options
    I sat in the Orchestra section, row J. I thought the show was great. It was beautiful out, the band had a lot of energy, and I was thrilled with the amount of songs they played from Yield. The weird thing was, I had people on either side of me sitting down and texting in the middle of the concert and the girl next to me kept pushing by me in the middle of the concert to get beer. I thought that was strange but overall I had a great time.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I had a good time.
  • Options
    Awesome show! This was the first time I had been to a PJ concert and was not let down at all. Little surprised at the folks putting down the set. I thought it was great.

Would agree that some of the crowd was out of it. We were in 203 and quite a few folks were sitting around us. The two people beside us were sitting the entire time and giving me weird looks for going nuts. The girl looked like she was still smelling the paper mill that hits you on Highway 58 on the way into the beach the entire concert. Overall though most of the crowd rockin.

Even my wife, who is more of a casual PJ fan, went crazy the entire time. She was a little let down because I had promised her that they would finish with YL. After they way they tore up RITFW though, I think she was satisfied.

I have never been to a concert where the band looked like they were having as good of a time as they were, especially Eddie. From the time he came out w/ KoL at the end of their set, to the end, he was all over the place. Didn't seem like they were just going thru they motions like so many bands.

Hope they don't wait another 8 years to hit Va. Beach.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    on a side note: you people that are sayin the setlist is/was weak, or that it sucked compared to other shows/venues this tour... get real... that was a kick ass setlist, and more than anything, it was a fun time..everyone i saw was having fun and jamming out to the music, and thats what its all about.. that virginia beach show was kick ass!

I agree with you. :) I should know, I was in the second row of the orchestra pit and I've only been in the 10 club 9 years! Thank you Ten Club, I won the lottery! The weather was beautiful. The moon was full and I got to see my favorite band from a few feet away. We took 78 pics. Some are blurry.
    All Night sounded really great! They played Faithfull. That was adorable :)
    I think they rocked their asses off. They played Severed Hand (just like I asked, I used to have it in my signature line!) I love NFY!!!! We have three pj guitar pics as well.

We just got home. We went down to the shore yesterday and today. A girl could not swim and two lifeguards rescued her. First her arms were straight up in the air....finally she went under. The guard just got there and he went under and found her. Thank God!!! She hugged the lifeguard, I would have too!

This is great that I won the lottery (I was born in VA, is that why?)
    Sneak peak at my pics....
    here is me in front of the stage before it started
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/65mustangTS/PJ%20VA%20%20Beach%20June%2017%202008/IMG_0526.jpg
    and here is ed toward the end (wow he was handing out tambourines, two people next to me got them) I got a Jeff Ament guitar pic and an EV! Not sure about the other one, my husband has it....
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/65mustangTS/PJ%20VA%20%20Beach%20June%2017%202008/ed_VABch2008.jpg
    here are my tickets and the guitar pics
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/65mustangTS/PJ%20VA%20%20Beach%20June%2017%202008/PJVABchTixGuitarPics.jpg
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Great show! My 4th time seeing them live and I thought they sounded better this time than they ever have. They were very tight.

Loved hearing so many Yield songs. It is probably my favorite album (kinda hard to compare them though) and Faithful made my night. I love that song and I hadn't seen it live since 98 Raleigh.

It's interesting to see mixed reviews on the crowd energy. I was 3rd row of section 102 and things were jumping (literally). Tons of energy and crowd participation. Almost everyone seemed to be singing along to the lyrics. I thought it was a very high energy show.

Nice to see Guaranteed, All Night, and Low Light. Didn't expect those at all.

It was also nice to finally hear a little avocado live. I only wish the boys had made their way down here 2 years ago so I could have heard more from that album.

Cool story about I Am Mine being written in VA Beach also.

There was a dude directly in front of me getting some killer pictures. I was feeling some serious camera envy. Here are 2 pictures that were halfway salvageable. The rest of my pics were too blurry to bother with.

It seems to be the common already stated opinion, but Kings of Leon were great. Best opening act I have ever seen for PJ. They really rocked and seemed to be very appreciated by a full crowd. In fact a girl a few seats to my right was sporting one of their T-shirts.

Still wired from the show. Not sure how I am going to focus when I go back to work tomorrow. Wish I was off for a few more days and attending another show. Damn I love this band!
    Brian
  • Options
    RedlegsRedlegs Posts: 160
    Loved it, and I have the sunburn to prove it!

I was in the 8th row in section 101, and it was a pretty stellar seat. If any of you watch the Spin blog, it was the same row as Zach. I talked to him a bit about past shows and the MMJ set at Roo. The Costa Ricans that he traveled with sat right behind me too, which was pretty crazy.

Evacuation, Sleight of Hand, Indifference, Guaranteed and the rockin' finale were all money!

edit: haha, I just got a chance to watch some of the vids. If you watch Rockin' in the Free World I'm the dude in the black McCready pick shirt.
  • Options
    sqrlnuts89sqrlnuts89 Posts: 27
    Well it's a day later....and i'm still in awe. Granted i only had lawn seats. but i felt the crowd was into everything back there. i rocked out the whole time :D

LOVED Guaranteed....my favorite song off the Into the Wild soundtrack.

my favorite of the night was Why Go. it was amazing.

and Mike TORE it up all night...

STILL have DC!!! and i'm stoked for that show as well!!
    Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
    Were laid spread out before me as her body once did.
    All five horizons revolved around her soul
    As the earth to the sun
    Now the air I tasted and breathed has taken a turn

DC May 06
    VA Beach June 08
    DC June 08
  • Options
    sqrlnuts89 wrote:
    Well it's a day later....and i'm still in awe. Granted i only had lawn seats. but i felt the crowd was into everything back there. i rocked out the whole time :D

LOVED Guaranteed....my favorite song off the Into the Wild soundtrack.

my favorite of the night was Why Go. it was amazing.

and Mike TORE it up all night...

STILL have DC!!! and i'm stoked for that show as well!![/QUOT Hail McCready
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    Does anyone have a picture of the Virginia Beach poster? A Klausen if I'm correct?

Thanks.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    gozzo5058 wrote:
    Does anyone have a picture of the Virginia Beach poster? A Klausen if I'm correct?

Thanks.

it is on the front page of expressobeans.com. good looking poster
  • Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    I was 13th row center orchestra and was too busy jumping around and yelling to notice what people around me were doing. People enjoy shows in their own ways, I don't really care. I had a blast.

Highlights for me were Faithfull, Low Light, NFY, Insignificance and Ed's little tag at the end of Wishlist -- really beautiful. An all-time PJ show highlight was Guaranteed -- I was in awe and seemed like a lot of people around me were too.

It was the happiest I've seen Ed in a long time on stage, maybe ever. It was a treat to see him running around during RITFW, catching tambourines, jumping over monitors. The guys from KOL were just watching him, in awe. Nice to see him just having fun and seeing the other guys feed off it too, I hate when he's all somber and serious about politics, like the weight of the world is on his shoulders.

All in all, one of the better shows I've seen. Would like to apologize for knocking into the guy next to me and spilling beer all over a few folks. Not the first time I've done that at a show and won't be the last I'm sure!

On to MSG!!!!!!!
  • Options
    grooveamaticgrooveamatic Posts: 1,374
    Great show. Crowd was into it, but not entirely. It seems to have been 'localized', meaning there were large pockets of people that were into it, and pockets of people who weren't. Hence the confusion here on the board.

Setlist is great. Main set was almost brilliantly put together (get the boot and listen to it, you'll see what I mean). First encore had an odd flow; could have used one more song, and a down-tempo one at that.

RITFW was super-long, and KoL just hanging out on the stage was really neat to see!

I'm sad that this was my first show of the tour and KoL's last, because that song Eddie does with them is amazing!
  • Options
    grooveamaticgrooveamatic Posts: 1,374
    matt770 wrote:
    I was 13th row center orchestra and was too busy jumping around and yelling to notice what people around me were doing. People enjoy shows in their own ways, I don't really care. I had a blast.

I gotta agree with this TO AN EXTENT. I mean, I'll never tell the person I'm with that they gotta act a certain way at a show or anything. If they want to stand still and gape that's fine; but as a whole, the crowd matters, because we've gotta be giving energy back to the band, both because it is an integral part of the communal experience, and because they will give us a better show if they feel we are into it.
  • Options
    I thought the crowd was decent at best. The 10c clubbers were having a good time but side from that the others didn't get into it that much from what I could tell. But I'm jaded because I mostly go to shows in Cleveland and Pittsburgh where crowds are always big, loud and rowdy
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I had a good time.

'nuff said, right? :D

I have never been to a concert where the band looked like they were having as good of a time as they were, especially Eddie. From the time he came out w/ KoL at the end of their set, to the end, he was all over the place. Didn't seem like they were just going thru they motions like so many bands.

exactly he.....all of them give their all.
    thank you pj!

iluvcats - did you see me? i was in the front row too. (wheelchair) great pics. i got a mike pic too. the ed one looks phat! you lucky ducky.

NCBRI wrote:
    It seems to be the common already stated opinion, but Kings of Leon were great. Best opening act I have ever seen for PJ. They really rocked and seemed to be very appreciated by a full crowd. In fact a girl a few seats to my right was sporting one of their T-shirts.

yes, i have to agree about that.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    nsmooth78nsmooth78 Posts: 36
    anyone have the KOL setlist?
  • Options
    ballbagballbag Posts: 69
    this show was awesome.

i won the lottery and got front row, dead center.
    sweet.