Options

*** Mansfield 2 Fanviews Here 6/30/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    trebmaltrebmal Boston Posts: 102
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    To begin, the venue where this show took place should never be called Tweeter Center or Comcast Center... it is forever Great Woods!!

My favorite moments:

Well, to start, THE WHOLE MAIN SET. The energy just grabbed you and wouldn't let go. By the time Whipping came on, I was in a frenzy. Good thing I stretched before the show (and during Small Town :)).

Who You Are... it was better at Bonnaroo, but I love that drumming. glad they finally brought it back.

Garden - Mike's solo was mesmerizing. very, very cool.

RITFW - this saved the end of the show for me because I'm so tired of Alive, and I just couldn't get into the mamasan trilogy (they played Once and Alive at night 1, so it just felt unnecessary)... so anyway... Ted Leo and the RX come up on stage. I wish I had caught their show at least once this tour. People I tailgated with just weren't interested. I really liked the way that dude belted out verse 2. And then there's the cow guy on stage rockin out like a crazy muthafucka! I've lost count of how many times I've seen the cow guy at Great Woods shows going back 10 years or more. I mean, the guy is a legend here. I'd almost believe he wasn't real if he wasn't a co-worker of a friend of mine. So yeah, that whole thing was awesome.

Yeah! I was glad to catch Ted Leo Saturday night. I had seen them (I'm pretty sure?) Back in 04/05 at the Middle East... They are a solid band.
    9.15.98, 8.29.00, 8.30.00, 7.02.03, 7.03.03, 7.11.03 Mansfield, MA | 9.28.04, 9.29.04 Boston, MA, 5.12.06 Albany, NY | 5.13.06 Hartford, CT | 5.24, 5.25.06 Boston, MA | 8.05.07 Chicago, IL (lolla) | 6.27.08 Hartford, CT | 6.28, 6.30.08 Mansfield, MA | 10.4.09 Austin, TX (ACL), 10.30 | 10.31.09, Philadelphia, PA 5.17.10 Boston, MA, 10.15 | 10.16.2013 Worcester, MA, 10.25.13 Hartford, CT, 10.16.14 Detroit, MI, 4.18.16 Hampton, VA, 5.1 | 5.2.16 NYC, 8.5 | 8.7.16 Boston, MA, 7.3.18 Kraków, PL | 8.8 - 8.10.18 Seattle, WA | 8.13.18 Missoula, MT | 8.18.18 Chicago, IL | 9.2 - 9.4.18 Boston, MA | 9.18.21 Asbury Park, NJ | 9.1.22 Québec City, CAN | 9.3.22 Ottawa, CAN
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    Does he only go to Pearl Jam shows, or is he known at other bands' shows too? He might have been at State College too.
    I've heard stories and I think I've seen him at other concerts there...mostly radio fests/Ozzfests.
    9.15.98, 8.29.00, 8.30.00, 7.02.03, 7.03.03, 7.11.03 Mansfield, MA | 9.28.04, 9.29.04 Boston, MA, 5.12.06 Albany, NY | 5.13.06 Hartford, CT | 5.24, 5.25.06 Boston, MA | 8.05.07 Chicago, IL (lolla) | 6.27.08 Hartford, CT | 6.28, 6.30.08 Mansfield, MA | 10.4.09 Austin, TX (ACL), 10.30 | 10.31.09, Philadelphia, PA 5.17.10 Boston, MA, 10.15 | 10.16.2013 Worcester, MA, 10.25.13 Hartford, CT, 10.16.14 Detroit, MI, 4.18.16 Hampton, VA, 5.1 | 5.2.16 NYC, 8.5 | 8.7.16 Boston, MA, 7.3.18 Kraków, PL | 8.8 - 8.10.18 Seattle, WA | 8.13.18 Missoula, MT | 8.18.18 Chicago, IL | 9.2 - 9.4.18 Boston, MA | 9.18.21 Asbury Park, NJ | 9.1.22 Québec City, CAN | 9.3.22 Ottawa, CAN
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    JaneNY wrote:
    Does he only go to Pearl Jam shows, or is he known at other bands' shows too? He might have been at State College too.

other bands' shows too. it seems like anytime I see a show at Great Woods, he's there. i don't know if he travels.
  • Options
    my video of the end of Even flow http://youtube.com/watch?v=c8Uh16AA18k
  • Options
    Drove up from New Jersey and was not disappointed. Amazing setlist with Wash, Who You Are, Education, Satan's Bed, and I nearly crapped my pants over Glorified G. Mike was unbelievable during Garden and Severed Hand. Eddie's voice was spot on his interaction with the crowd was hysterical. Stone was jumping around the stage like it was 1992...and the Dancing Cow ...what else can you say. Great way to end the tour and hope they come back East next year.

Camden 7/5/03
    East Rutherford 6/3/06
    Camden 6/20/08
    Mansfield 6/30/08
  • Options
    mtnjmtnj Posts: 2
    great show. my 4th this time around. been to every show in nj, ny PA and mass since 96. They freaking nailed garden and footsteps.

the gestapo in the parking lot really needs to chill out. if they had spent some time figuring out traffic patterns instead of walking around making everyone pour out there beer, we might have gotten home about 2 hours earlier.

great little tour. can't wait for the new cd and the next tour. I'm done. my voice is shot. pearl jam is the greatest band in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    NothingSoundNothingSound Posts: 198
    pjamfreak wrote:
    I was in the 11th row at complete right ! That show was superior at the Mansfield 1...Guys were more into it also but not that much as the Hartford show... Stone has the bad tuning guitar during the start of Last exit !! It was quite funny and to bring the Cow man at the last song (RITFW) was pretty damn cool..

Highlights : Half full, Satans bed, whipping, glorified g, no more (better than saturday night), footsteps
    Thumbs down : Small town (i hate that song now like last kiss, sorry guys), Bee girl (it would fit in a pre set, not in a encore !!)

Any particular reason you didn't put Garden as one of your highlights? I think that was the best version of it I've ever heard.
  • Options
    Theo316Theo316 Posts: 30
    This was my first show ever (6/30/08). When people told me that it would be an amazing experience, they couldn't have been more right. I know I was very lucky since they played all the songs I wanted to hear, but when I heard the begining notes of Footsteps I just about lost it! life altering at best.

I couldn't have asked to go to a better show.
    "...What have I become, my dearest friend? Everyone I know goes away in the end..."

Mansfield 2 '08
  • Options
    fjpoitrasfjpoitras Canada Posts: 11
    Overall was a good show. Not my favorite I've seen them but good nevertheless. I loved the rareties although I would've prefered Fatal and Brother to (respectively) Footsteps and Education but I can't complain about a Mamasan trilogy and being at one of the 8 shows where Bee Girl was played!!!

Alive was the best I've seen it, Mike's solos were awesome and the crowd was really into it. Mike also rocked the Why Go solo playing it behind his head. RITF was just freaking awesome, I've never seen the band have so much fun onstage and was surprised to see that Stone actually plays the 2nd solo which F-n ruled!!!

Overall I loved the show but I thought the 1st encore was a bit short. Also, after saying "F&^% the curfew", why only play until 11:03....?? my $0.02...

Anyway... 'till next time!!!
  • Options
    few things:

first off, I drove in from Toronto, Canada on Sunday (took 12 hours with massive border issues) just for this show and I was blown away. This was my 9th Pearl Jam show (10th if you include Eddie's solo tour in Vancouver), and I was getting a little nervous that it might just be alot of repeats of all the radio favourites I've heard a bunch of times in the past (dont get me wrong, I still love them but I wanted to hear new rarer stuff). I was NOT dissapointed, wash, bee girl, satan's bed, Once (which they rarely played in Toronto) and the list goes on. Only two songs I would have wanted them to play were Porch and Baba (which apparently they were going to play). This was the first time I was able to get a poster too! (waited in line for 2 hours to ensure this) that poster is going to be framed this week and put on my wall... except mine didnt have a number or a signature... anyone else missing this? The 24 hours of driving only to be dead tired today was WELL worth it, luckily it was canada day yesterday so I only have a 3 day work week this week.

also, I'm a fairly new PJ fan (only since '98 or so), can someone explain the significance of the trilogy to me please?

2: Why didnt pearl jam come to toronto this tour? or canada for that matter? this was the only opportunity i had to travel to see the show and i wasnt able to pay 1400 bucks for a flight (redic expensive)!!! CANT wait till the next tour... it's getting harder and harder to listen to PJ studio stuff when I know how well they can play live, i cant even listen to evolution studio styles anymore, have to have it live.

3: Sorry to everyone in section 8 on the left side around row Q for my constant screaming shouting and jumping, I got Wayyyyyy into it, even scared my friend away to the railing on the left where he stayed arms crossed (wasnt going to let him ruin my mood).

4: What was up with the drinking laws, im 23 from canada, got the new USA friendly drivers license and had my passport but they still wouldnt serve us unless we were 25?! had to get this awesome amazing lady that came solo (also gave me her seat for an awesome view instead of being behind the tall guys who were having conversations the whole time) to buy me beer. She was great, getting hit on by drunkies, buying us beer, looking out every once in a while to make sure her co-workers didnt see her. she enjoyed, I enjoyed, it was enjoyable to the max!!

5: after the show was kinda dead though, was staying at the red roof in, no partying :(

Great venue (amazing to look back and see everything from the front to the lawns totally packed), great sound, AMAZING set list, lots of great tunes, great poster, hell of a drive, the front of my car looks like a bug genocide, I just hope next time i dont have to travel as far... OR travel as far but see all the shows along the way!

I noticed I wasnt the only canadian there though, next time we should organize a road trip, save on gas, less driving, party across the US of A!
    '98: Barrie
    '03: Toronto
    '05: Toronto
    '06: Toronto, Toronto
    '07: Munich
    '08: Vancouver (EV), Mansfield II, Toronto I (EV)
    '11: Toronto, Toronto, Hamilton
    '13: London Ontario
  • Options
    kaosfactorkaosfactor Posts: 11
    The ID thing is a venue issue, not a law. It's the same if you had a Rhode Island, New York, or in my case Florida Id. It's mainly because of the high college population in the area, but it is still stupid. Most major venues, Fenway and the new Garden included do that, but most bars don't. They just want a back up.

Even if you are above 25, and your ID says duplicate on it (FL does that if you get one for any reason between renewal periods) they won't serve. So, even though I'm 28, I have to bring my passport to get a drink two counties over from my house now.

It's retarded, and there is no real reason for it.
    Ft Lauderdale '96
    Orlando '03
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08 1 and 2
    Hartford '10
    Boston '10
  • Options
    i had my passport there too! they said that unless it had an american stamp in it (which it didnt cuz i drove through) they couldnt serve. this annoyed me so instead of just saying i didnt have one, i made the dude look through each page and each stamp (i had MANY stamps from across europe as i came back from a 2 month euro backpack trip. Pearl Jam in Germany was amazing). took the guy 10 minutes of frustration, then on the last page i told him i didnt have a stamp from the US. his expression was priceless!
  • Options
    They should play at Gillette stadium. Even though the music (any band) doesn't really sound great there. It would be cool to see 50000-60000 PJ fans at a show. Plus the tailgating is much better then great woods or fenway.

Went to the last 3 shows of the tour....obvisouly they were all great but Hartford takes the cake. I think it was because it was so humid out and I was just assuming they would mail it in. But they went off......
  • Options
    found it
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    locked wrote:
    the Hat incident as told by bostonlou:

from what i remember... and it seemed like slow motion

i was standing there having the time of my life and ed came over... is looking me in the eye... and it's like he wants something... so i figure it's my stupid hat... so i take it off... raise my eyebrows like "is this what you want?" ... he nods... so i toss it to him

he then throws it on backwards and does his pose... as this is happening i think to myself... wow... that's cool...

but now not only will i be a sweaty mess leaving this place... but my hair is going to be all fucked up and i may get arrested

so then ed returns to the mic and turns the hat around to the front... since i have a pretty decent sized melon it probably didn't fit too well... so he tries tugging it down over his eyes... which it easily does... and he rocks out a few lines of GTF

i don't know if the song ended or what but at some point he came back to me and tossed the hat back... i snagged it like Youk and threw it back on my dome

and that's my marcia brady/davey jones story

i didn't do it for attention
    i didn't plan to do it
    i guess ed made me do it

think what you will

and as for the other questions ... i'm banned for breaking the rules of the pit... don't break the rules and you won't get banned ... whether you agree with or know the rules... doesn't matter... respect everyone

peace
    Lou

LOVE this!!!! I love that it happened to one of the coolest people EVER!!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    I wanted to meet Lou during this tour but didn't happen :-)

he is one great guy!

p.s i LOVE your signature about the tour!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    I wanted to meet Lou during this tour but didn't happen :-)

i got a chance to meet him in hartford and again in mansfield...a very cool dude.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    i got a chance to meet him in hartford and again in mansfield...a very cool dude.

shared my 10C seats with him for Mansfield I.

14th row center..

it was an honor to hang with a legend!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    As many of you know Mikey is my obsession, can't get enough of his solos..

That night I was wearing my McCready guitar pic t-shirt (yellow and green).

By a miracle I was front row on the rail right at Mikey's feet. (thanks to my buddy Joel who flew out from Chicago and has a really low 10C number!)

I had eye contact with him the whole night.

I was right at his feet for every solo, like my own private concert.

He gave me this dead-in-the-eyes stare during his entire solo during "severed hand".

I will never forget that insanity in his eyes! I got three of his pics tossed to me..

then at the end of the night, he crouched down, signed his copy if his encore setlist, untaped it from the floor, reached over the barrier and handed it directly to me!!!!!

Unbeleivable!

See "Garden" traditional version from my show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCHEXZICIFg

i can die having experienced this one..

can't wait for the boot!

"wash" from the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjiy1fyHQ7I

Best,
    Scotty in boston
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Killer stories....killer time.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    LROMLROM Posts: 13
    I'm almost positive it was Ted.

anyone else up front remember who it was that Ed pulled the tambourine over their head during RITFW?

Don't know if this got answered, but it was 100% NOT Ted Leo that Ed pulled the tamborine over his head. It was another guitarist in Ted's band the Pharmacists.

Ted kinda stayed near Cowsuit guy near the end, while Ed and the tamborine-head Pharmacist were over on the right side of the stage.
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    As many of you know Mikey is my obsession, can't get enough of his solos..

That night I was wearing my McCready guitar pic t-shirt (yellow and green).

By a miracle I was front row on the rail right at Mikey's feet. (thanks to my buddy Joel who flew out from Chicago and has a really low 10C number!)

I had eye contact with him the whole night.

I was right at his feet for every solo, like my own private concert.

He gave me this dead-in-the-eyes stare during his entire solo during "severed hand".

I will never forget that insanity in his eyes! I got three of his pics tossed to me..

then at the end of the night, he crouched down, signed his copy if his encore setlist, untaped it from the floor, reached over the barrier and handed it directly to me!!!!!

Unbeleivable!

See "Garden" traditional version from my show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCHEXZICIFg

i can die having experienced this one..

can't wait for the boot!

"wash" from the show

Best,
    Scotty in boston

Good for you!!

Mike is so fucking cool !! Def puts on a great show! I was front row in front of Stone who doesn't do much of anything :)

my wife would of fainted if she was you :D Mike is her favorite !!
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    locked wrote:

"wash" from the show

Best,
    Scotty in boston

NICE video of Wash ... immediately saved to favorites. Man that was so freakin' amazing.

Or, as I would have said many years ago ... "Doood, that was wihkid pissah!!!"
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    locked wrote:

awesome videos and story, was there anything changed or not played that was on the setlist?
    NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    During RITFW Cow Man was on stage dancing and playing the tambourine. Ed dragged him out on stage by the utters. Near the end of the jam Stone flew across the stage got down on his knees and started sucking the utter. It took a few seconds and Ed looked over and was laughed saying WTF is that or something to Jeff. It was pretty funny.
    Haha yeah that was funny!

BTW, what town/city in The Berkshires at you at bro?
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Fatal SmileFatal Smile Posts: 111
    drsluggo wrote:
    So not that I really want to know ;), but did anyone grab or see the setlist and what was crossed off? It looked like 3 songs got axed there due to time... just curious.

Great set - a much nicer mix than Saturday and Ed seemd in a much better mood as well. Glad to see Stone mix it up with the Cow Man - that's the most animated I've ever seen him on stage! :)

Not sure if somone answered you, but from what I remember seeing on the Encore setlist was Porch (to end the first encore) and Baba O (to end the second) was last. I have a picture of it on my camera (I think) and will zoom in to see what the others were. I know for a fact that Bee girl and RITFW were not on there.

It was a kickass show and I wish they would tour for the rest of their lives (selfish, I am).
    CARPE DIEM!!

"Oh, if I knew where it was I would take you there but there's much more than this. Woh see the world."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"

"No need to be void, or save up on life. You got to spend it all"

Minneapolis 1998, St. Paul 2003, Alpine Valley 2003, Thunder Bay 2005, St. Paul 2006 I, St. Paul 2006 II, The Gorge I 2006, Hartford 2008, Mansfield I 2008, Mansfield II 2008, Chicago I 2009, EV Solo Minneapolis 2011, PJ 20 Alpine Valley I 2011, PJ 20 Alpine Valley II 2011, Wrigley 2013, Moline 2014, St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    neone know why the official tour pictures on pearljam.com havent been posted for mansfield 2 yet?
  • Options
    neone know why the official tour pictures on pearljam.com havent been posted for mansfield 2 yet?
    I was wondering that as well....come on 10C post 'em up! :)
  • Options