Options

*** Mansfield 2 Fanviews Here 6/30/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,239
    TrixieCat wrote:

lol Are you ok??
    You must have been super close!
    Sounds like you guys got the concert of a lifetime...awesomeness.
    Yeah, didn't hurt, and was quite funny, it bounced right off my eye. Then I couldn't find it right away after ( I guess I could use the excuse that I was temporarily blinded).

Yeah it was a great show, all 3 shows I saw (Hartford and both Mansfields) were fantastic.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    QubeQube Posts: 44
    cow man has been here for years, yes? so disapointed in myself that i didn't realize the mamasan till reading this this morning....i knew once seemed out of place.....very JV of me
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,239
    Qube wrote:
    cow man has been here for years, yes?
    Yes.
    I've seen him at dozens of concerts, Ed noticed him in 2000 and brought him to (not on like last night) the stage and shook his hand. Last night was the second time I've seen him on stage at a show, he also got brought up by Rob Zombie at OzzFest several years ago to dance during "Living Dead Girl".
    He looks to have added a little weight, so the cow suit is more appropriate now than ever.
    Another cow man fact, if you have the U2 Live in Boston DVD and watch the time lapse collage in Special Features, the one fan you can make out during this is none other than cow man.

Udderly ridiculous. ;)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    musecutsmusecuts Posts: 12
    jimed14 wrote:

As for ARC / LBC being left out ... check Ed going to the mic just before Bee Girl w/Jeff, I thought he gave one brief Arc vocal ... again, check the boot to make sure I'm not hearing things but, I thought it was there.

I heard this Arc vocal as well, and so did the people I went with. I thought that it was pretty cool.
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    jimed14 wrote:
    ... check Ed going to the mic just before Bee Girl w/Jeff, I thought he gave one brief Arc vocal ...
    Very cool, didn't hear it.
  • Options
    UNH1995UNH1995 Worcester Posts: 356
    Any puke??

- i was not subjected to any puke last night. thanks for asking.
    Lalapalooza 1992, Orphium Boston 1994, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1998, Mansfield 2000, Mansfield 2003(1&3), West Palm 2003, State College 2003, Boston 2004, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Chicago 2006, Boston 2006, Mansfield 2008(1&2), Hartford 2008, Hartford 2010, Boston 2010, Worcester 2013 (1&2), All Four Fenway shows 2016 & 2018.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    It seems as if you go to two in a row, they hook ya up one of those nights. I was in Hartford, got OK seats, then went the night after to Mansfield I and also got 10th row center seats.

Not so! But I was happy with my 12th row seniority seats in Columbia.
  • Options
    UNH1995UNH1995 Worcester Posts: 356
    - In the closer, RITFW, Ed went over to the right side of the stage and put his hand up to his chin and lower face, pulling it downward a few times

within seconds the geek drummer from Ted Leo & Pharm. came out and started whacking a tambourine, and the hand gesture Eddie was making was symbolizing the drummers beard. For some reason I found this funny.

- Mike videotaping Bee Girl is fascinating to me.

- All the members of the band putting instuments down and watching Matt in awe during Evenflow drum solo was also a pretty neat thing

- For a band together close to 18 years, it is pretty neat that they admire each other so much for their respective talents.
    Lalapalooza 1992, Orphium Boston 1994, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1998, Mansfield 2000, Mansfield 2003(1&3), West Palm 2003, State College 2003, Boston 2004, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Chicago 2006, Boston 2006, Mansfield 2008(1&2), Hartford 2008, Hartford 2010, Boston 2010, Worcester 2013 (1&2), All Four Fenway shows 2016 & 2018.
  • Options
    MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    Sounds like a truly great show to end the tour. Thank you PJ and can't wait to see them the next time around.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options
    earlpjearlpj Posts: 34
    Bee girl on video now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3d3A6mCUqI

Unfortunately it has the start missing, so can not verify the ARC thing at the beginning.
  • Options
    What a night! Won the lottery! (thanks 10c). Front row dead center in front of Ed.. First time I have been in the front row since the civic center in Springfield in 94. Last night was not only an amazing experience due to the seats but to hear the trilogy was just killer. I can't tell you how many times a week I listen to it and Footsteps last night blew me away! The person I brought is a fan but had know idea what I was talking about when I said all we need is Alive now! It happened.
    Oh and it is now my belief that there may not always be wine in Ed's bottle. He had two up on stage. Richie Ramone brought one out before the show that was wine. Ed never drank from that bottle. He brought out another at the beginning of the show with no label on it. He drank from that all night. At one point he spit a crap load of it out up in the air all over us. He looked down and mouthed "sorry" and threw us a towel. My friend said "I don't think its wine" Sure enough a little later in the show we saw a roadie filling the bottle with powerade or gatorade. Not that it matters, just thought some might be interested.

All in all it was a great way to end the tour... MSG 1,2 Hartford and Mansfield.
  • Options
    Just an amazing show. More than made up for the 1st one for me. I still hate Mansfield, but that crowd was unbelievable. An incredible set list. Just a great reaction from the crowd the whole time and a blistering pace of songs. I literally lost my breath 10 times this show.

I think the trilogy was my favorite, although knowing that alive was coming was a slight downer with it already having closed Saturday's show.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    MelissaphishMelissaphish Posts: 150
    The energy for this show blew the doors off either night of MSG that I saw - what an amazing show! The crowd was incredible and the band was on FIRE! I agree with whoever was mentioning Stone last night - he was all jacked up.

Thanks for a great run Pearl Jam, I'll be back!
    Boston Garden 5/25/06
    Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Madison Square Garden 6/24/08 and 6/25/08
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The answers are fatal......
  • Options
    overstandoverstand Posts: 54
    Someone has to describe Bee Girl live for me.

Please. I can't stand it. If you have a heart you won't make me wait too long.

Seriously, I'll pay you. Who wants a dollar and 26 cents.

I should have known it was coming with Ed & Jeff out there, Jeff with acoustic guitar....

The guys set the stage for Bee Girl so nicely with the unmatched energy from the first set, they were tight and clearly the energy from the crowd echoed back to them. The words of Bee Girl were crisp and clear, Ed hitting the notes in perfect voice (beeeee aaaa giiiirrrlllllllllllllllllll) while Jeff played the guitar like a kid with a new Christmas present. It took a moment for the crowd to soak it up and comprehend what we we were experiencing, and the story of the song came across playfully poetic. The song felt like Ed & Jeff were thanking us for our energy and letting us know that they could feel how much we love them, and that this is truly a spiritual experience.

....how's that? still can't even come close to doing it justice...kind of like describing the Sistine Chapel to someone who has only seen a picture of it...
  • Options
    spalindspalind Posts: 8
    Last night's (6/30) show made me totally reevaluate the Saturday 6/29 show....I now would rate the Saturday show as a B- and last nights show as an A-

Strangely, the crowd was MUCH more into the show last night (a work night for those of us who pay taxes)...Sound quality wise the two nights were about even, last nights set list was more diverse and the band seemed rejuvenated after a day off...all in all very pleased....in the top 3 or 4 shows I've seen out of 15 or so...
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    grubba wrote:
    ?????

Jokingly. We corrected him when he said "The show here on Sunday...", and he pretended to get all mad and said "We love it here in Rhode Island" or something like that. It was funny.

Amazing show.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    - Great tailgating party before the show. Everyone in the $30 pay lot (across the street from the entrance) totally rocked. PJ fans are the best

- The band sounded great, we sat to the right of the sound board and everything just clicked

- Incredible set list- a common theme on this mini tour

- Wash was a perfect opener for this night.

-Education through DTE was the best 5 song stretch I have ever experienced from this band. WOW. Complete perfection to end the main set

- PJ has proven 3 hour marathon shows are not a necessity, with the right set list, energy and karma 2:15 is a plenty.

- "The Greatest American Rock Band" is carving out their legacy as the undisputed "Greatest Live Performing Rock Band of All Time". End of story.
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    Great show - they must have known I was taking my two daughters to their first show. Bee girl and footsteps were special to them. Wash was special to me!

Thanks to 10 club - my wife and I have separate 10c accounts and they put all four of us together. Great crowd, got a poster, and on the way out some dude handed my wife a decent boot of Saturday night.

What more could you ask for? My daughter would answer with dirty_frank.

Now to bed and try to act professional tomorrow

I am trying to come to grips with the "try to act professional tomorrow" I have to see my boss in a few short hours. It's kinda hard to bring it back to work and life outside of these last 4 days.

I am still thinking about my experience. I can not write a review. I want to put down on 1 piece of paper all 3 set lists from Hartford to last night and absorb what the fuck I just saw!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Kudos to everyone in the high numbered areas of section 2 rows D-H for passing out guitar picks rather than hording so lots of folks got one, everyone in the area with the exception of one d-bag (2 seats to my left who tried to pick fights with 2 different people for no apparent reason, but security kept him in check) was very cool and having a great time.

Its hard to believe that the tour is over so quickly after the Beacon tonight, the band is in such great form its a shame they aren't doing a lot more dates so other folks can enjoy them.

Ed made another "maybe Fenway next year" comment...we'll see on that one, he's said it before.

Thanks to 10club for great seats, thanks to the band for 3 great nights and thanks to all the cool PJ fans (which is about 98% of them, a pretty good percentage).

You must've been right near me! I was in row H and everyone was really sweet about passing out the picks (I didn't get one; it's okay, I was happy to be sitting in front of Mike for once...that guy is WILD!). Everyone around me was really nice...haven't looked at my pictures yet, but I hope I got a couple of decent ones.

When they came out for the 2nd encore, I think, Jeff was wearing a Celtics champions shirt over what I *thought* was a Lakers jersey, but it turned out to be a Ray Allen Sonics jersey. Good form :)

The crowd was really great, and I kept turning around to watch everyone moving together. This was something I've wanted for years and years, and although I'm still buzzing from last night, I can't WAIT for the next show I go to...they really are something. Opening with Wash was enough for me. Then footsteps...who you are...BEE GIRL? The setlist was like a dream!
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    The energy was unbelievable, even compared to Hartford and Mansfield I. They took a decent song like "1/2 full" and put the throttle down and turned it into a monster. I've never heard it played likethat. I was picking pieces of my skull out of the lawn afterwards. Where did that come from?
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,636
    Mansfield II rocked. We got a bee girl and a cow boy.

cowboy.jpg
  • Options
    Rooster286Rooster286 Posts: 13
    Best show I've ever been to...the energy was unreal, and this coming from having been to amazing mansfield shows of old.

I thought the same thing about the celts/"lakers" jersey, only to discover the throwback sonics jersey which was awesome.

Too many awesome moments to recount, however I will state that the parking situation was horrible like usual. We were in the lot for two hours before we could get out.

I got home at 3am and was on my way to work for 7:15 this morning :-(
  • Options
    Damn, I'm not ready for it to be over. But, since I'm writing this on Wednesday morning, I guess that means it is. But hey, at least I'm not at work.

Last night was my tenth Pearl Jam show, and I have to say it was one of the best. Certainly one of the coolest set list. I nearly shit my pants at Satan's Bed-- I hate that song's studio version, but love it live. And beegirl? Holy crap!! I may not have won the lottery, but I still feel lucky. Thanks Pearl Jam :)
    ~*~

Detroit 1994, Birmingham 1998, Mansfield 1 & 2 2000 Mansfield 1, 2 & 3 2003, Montreal 2005, Boston 2006, Mansfield II 2008
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,053
    Did they have backup singers on "who you are" here to or only at MSG ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,636
    Did they have backup singers on "who you are" here to or only at MSG ?

No back up singers in Mansfield.
    Only MSG.
  • Options
    PJ20PJ20 Miami, FL Posts: 94
    This was one of the best, if not the best, shows I have ever been to. It was awesome.

I knew this night was going to be awesome. It has a feel about it. Before the show I met some guy who sat two seats away from me who was from Brazil. He had been to five shows previously - all of them in Brazil (when they toured there in 2005). This was his first show outside of Brazil. The guy was just having a blast! I'm so happy he got to see such a great show.

There were a ton of songs I have never heard before: Wash, 1/2 Full, Education, Satan's Bed, Garden and Footsteps (which means it was my first time seeing the Mamasan trilogy!).

The first set was just rocking! They kicked some serious ass. Satan's Bed was just awesome. They did a great job with that.

Some other notes on the night:

During 1/2 Full Ed said: Don't see George Bush as half empty/See him half full of shit.

During Betterman it seemed like Ed was almost daring us to try the chanting and clapping thing. After the first chorus he said "you all sing like champions". The Save It For Later tag was more of Ed singing a phrase and us repeating it. Then Ed sang, "Don't run away..."

Ed talked a lot during the show. He seemed in a great mood and he had a great sense of humor about him tonight! They did mention that they are playing tomorrow (which I guess is today)! He said something along the lines of: We are playing a small charity gig tomorrow but we'll leave it all out on the line for you all. He then added that tonight has the makings of a special evening - but he didn't want to be presumptuous.

Before Bee Girl, Ed did sing the first part of Arc. I thought we were going to get it but then he stopped and talked and did Bee Girl, which was cool. This is where Ed talked about how they were discussing back stage about breaking the curfew. He said it wasn't about money and that Mike had agreed to pay the whole thing. Mike who was by the drums at this point to witness Bee Girl just shook his head no. Ed said that Mike was the wealthiest member of the band because he gets paid by the note. He said they'll keep playing and who knows maybe they'll have to drag them off the stage.

Although they didn't really break curfew, which would have been awesome but the show didn't need it! Don't get me wrong I would have loved it but I'm not putting the concert down because of it. I thought it was just awesome and I certainly was tired when I got to the car.

Ed knew where he was but kept saying "yesterday" and "Sunday" when he talked about playing there last. When he said "Sunday" most of the crowd went "Saturday!" He looked perplexed and realized what we said. He goes (again paraphrasing):"Give me a fucking break here! I'm just trying to get my shit together here in Rhode Island." He was joking about the last part. Pretty good sense of humor. He then said, "On a serious note, whatever fucking day it was..." That's when he talked about the Marine Recruiting Station and how it was there on...well whatever fucking day it was...and today it was gone. He said that while he respected Marines and had friends were were Marines that he didn't like the fact that that they were trying to get people to "take a bite of a poisoned apple". I believe this all took place before Glorified G.

Ed talked about how someone gave him a clipping from a local paper of a picture of a 5 year old learning to play the guitar. This kid had a Pearl Jam shirt on. Ed told him to keep playing and dedicated Given To Fly to him. The kid's name was Cole something.

Before Education Ed said "I hear that Boston isn't really a college town but we'll try this one anyway." Although I'm not sure if this was a joke since there are a ton of colleges here but I guess it isn't a "college town" as State College would be, for example.

Ed also introduced Mike as "Mike Mc Fucking Cready".

Before Garden Ed says something like "for a place we have enjoyed playing here."

Ed talked about how the first time they played in Mansfield it was was Soundgarden and Matt was a drummer for them. He then mentioned the Boston Globe review of Saturday's show which had high praise for Matt. He quoted the article, Matt "whose tastefulness is equaled by his sheer muscularity." Ed said something like, "I always wanted to tell him that but I didn't want him to think something funny was going on."

Before No More Ed talked about Tomas Young again but mentioned that Obama asked him to introduce him in Kansas City but Tomas has recently took a turn for the worse. Ed then said he hoped that Tomas gets better so he can fulfill his dream of introducing Obama, who knows, maybe as President.

As people said, Stone was having a blast up there and was more into it than I have ever seen.

Jeff was wearing a Celtics shit - I believe it was one celebrating their recently victory. I thought that he had a Lakers jersey underneath it (all I could see was the Yellow with white stripe) but when he came out for RITFW you could see that it was a Yellow Ray Allen Supersonics jersey. So I guess that makes sense.

Matt's drum solo during Even Flow as awesome. Later, at then end of the first encore, he had some glow stick type tips to his drum sticks. It really looked cool.

Mike was, well, awesome as usual. He killed on Why Go.

There was indeed a cow man on the stage. I did not witness any udder sucking. Ed did lead him out by one of his udders though.

During Alive, Ed went to both extremes (Section 1 and Section 3). When he came down to Section 3 he got real close. A bunch of people swarmed over there to reach out so he might. He did it for a few and realized that it was getting pretty crazy. Although on the way back someone offered him some beer and he takes a swig of the beer and gives it back to the person. That was awesome.

That's about it! I didn't get to see All Night, WMA or Porch on this tour so that was a bummer but I loved every second of what I got and last night was really special!
  • Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    G-force wrote:
    "The Greatest American Rock Band" is carving out their legacy as the undisputed "Greatest Live Performing Rock Band of All Time". End of story.

:)

thanks for all the wonderful reviews everyone...
    At one point he spit a crap load of it out up in the air all over us. He looked down and mouthed "sorry" and threw us a towel.

f*ck that's funny :D congrats on winning the pj lottery
    wah
  • Options
    wow, what energy

great show

wash- amazing-won 5 bucks off the guy next to me, bet him they would open with it

1/2 full was off the hook-great version-check the boot

given to fly rocked- plus ed was wearing Boston Lou's hat- he won the lottery and sat front row, section 2 row a

education/satans bed back to back wow!

great show, band was on fire, if not for the curfew they would have played more

again, congrats to BOSTON LOU on winning the lottery, i am sure you were in heaven!

to those going to the beacon, i think you are going to get a great set!

have fun!
    NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    great show...awesome setlist...all around great time!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    trebmaltrebmal Boston Posts: 102
    momofglynn wrote:
    I am trying to come to grips with the "try to act professional tomorrow" I have to see my boss in a few short hours. It's kinda hard to bring it back to work and life outside of these last 4 days.

I am still thinking about my experience. I can not write a review. I want to put down on 1 piece of paper all 3 set lists from Hartford to last night and absorb what the fuck I just saw!

wow agreed.
    9.15.98, 8.29.00, 8.30.00, 7.02.03, 7.03.03, 7.11.03 Mansfield, MA | 9.28.04, 9.29.04 Boston, MA, 5.12.06 Albany, NY | 5.13.06 Hartford, CT | 5.24, 5.25.06 Boston, MA | 8.05.07 Chicago, IL (lolla) | 6.27.08 Hartford, CT | 6.28, 6.30.08 Mansfield, MA | 10.4.09 Austin, TX (ACL), 10.30 | 10.31.09, Philadelphia, PA 5.17.10 Boston, MA, 10.15 | 10.16.2013 Worcester, MA, 10.25.13 Hartford, CT, 10.16.14 Detroit, MI, 4.18.16 Hampton, VA, 5.1 | 5.2.16 NYC, 8.5 | 8.7.16 Boston, MA, 7.3.18 Kraków, PL | 8.8 - 8.10.18 Seattle, WA | 8.13.18 Missoula, MT | 8.18.18 Chicago, IL | 9.2 - 9.4.18 Boston, MA | 9.18.21 Asbury Park, NJ | 9.1.22 Québec City, CAN | 9.3.22 Ottawa, CAN