Options

*** Perth Fanviews Here 25/11/06 ***

Comments

• Options
    At 48 I can recall seeing people like Clapton and Dylan in the 70's through to seeing a lot of great Aussie bands like Chisel and the Oils at their peak, but I can't remember enjoying a concert as much as I did seeing Pearl Jam at Subiaco.

Everything was great. I was concerned at first that it started so full on that they wouldn't engage the audience, but as the concert went on (and Eddie's wine kicked in) they drew you in and it became an experience. You had a great, tight band playing a great set fronted by a guy who must surely be one of the best front men in rock music. I know that amongst their heroes are Neil Young and Crazy Horse, but Pearl Jam have taken it to another level.

The crowd too was great, with the only flaw as noted elsewhere that they were too quiet in calling for encores. I guess this is maybe the fault of bands generally as you know by the songs that haven't been played that they will come back.

Hope I haven't waffled too much. Great concert, and if they do come back in a couple of years as Eddie said then I will be in my 50's and still on the net to get the best tickets I can to see the best band going around.
    Now I'm livin' out here on the beach,
    but those seagulls are still out of reach.
  • Options
    Ahh what can I say that hasn't already been said...

It was a perfect night, perfect weather, perfect crowd and a perfect setlist!

I was fortunate enough to get second row in front of Stone. My brother and I rocked out all night.

It was my fourth time seeing the band, although my plans to see them over east didn't work out, there's no way i'm missing out next time.
  • Options
    While most of you have covered the following in your reviews, please excuse my emotional rambling review, which still does not describe how it really was and i know i missed plenty of things out too.

I consider myself to be a well balanced, hard working 36 yo mother of two. Having experienced the wonder of childbirth, a near death car accident, the death of loved ones and other normal happenings, I would never have expected the total wellspring of emotions bought about by seeing PJ live. I was lucky enough to see them in 2003 but Saturday night’s show blew that out of the water.

I was seriously impressed with the crowd, not that I knew or cared what was happening behind us but from where I was standing, nearly everybody was going off. There were a few crew standing and staring but it was mostly a sea of writhing, fist pumping bodies singing and dancing. I was surprised to see 2 vacant seats next to me (4th row in front of Mike) which were filled by some guy who made it all the way from the stands in the back.and 2 girls. I was a bit pissed off when he first turned up as he took up some valuable going off space but apart from offering me a choice of pink and yellow pills, which I declined, he was no trouble and he did have an absolute blast.

Words fail to describe the excitement and energy that we saw and experienced on Saturday nite. I was stoked with the totally rocking set list. Highlights – opening blast of Go, Animal, DTE, COMATOSE !!!!! MITS, U (Fucking amazing), crowd singing the opening of Better Man – I thought we were great and even tho Ed would have seen it 1000s of times, I think he was pretty impressed, TYAAM with marriage proposal on behalf of Damien Cassisi (?) to a very shocked girl friend, SOLAT (unfuckingbelievable) and a blistering cover of I Got You (Hubby claimed it to be best version he’s ever heard). BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD – Holy fucking cow. I was a screaming sweating heap and loooooving it. Hubby is not a die hard fan (but did introduce me to PJ via Ten) and he left the show totally amazed and blown away, saying that it was the best concert he has ever seen. It was 2.5 hours of screaming, dancing, singing and I went off like the proverbial firecracker.

Security was a little lax with people making their way to the front rows and plenty of smoking going on. Was stoked to be able to light a number at the beginning of the 2nd encore with no hassle.

I know this is long and disjointed but I could keep writing and still not be able to express how thankful and lucky I feel to have seen Pearl Jam on such a beautiful night, at the home of my beloved Eagles too (Bonus!!). I have never sweated so much in my life. My shoulders and neck are sore and my hands are bruised but my heart is full to bursting with happiness and amazement.

Thank you so much Pearl Jam for bringing so much joy to Mrs Average Australian and thank you 10c for awesome seats!!!!!
    reaching in..... the suns fingers clutch the dawn to pass
    even out..... it's a precious thing to bear
  • Options
    pjcowgirl wrote:
    While most of you have covered the following in your reviews, please excuse my emotional rambling review, which still does not describe how it really was and i know i missed plenty of things out too.

I consider myself to be a well balanced, hard working 36 yo mother of two. Having experienced the wonder of childbirth, a near death car accident, the death of loved ones and other normal happenings, I would never have expected the total wellspring of emotions bought about by seeing PJ live. I was lucky enough to see them in 2003 but Saturday night’s show blew that out of the water.

I was seriously impressed with the crowd, not that I knew or cared what was happening behind us but from where I was standing, nearly everybody was going off. There were a few crew standing and staring but it was mostly a sea of writhing, fist pumping bodies singing and dancing. I was surprised to see 2 vacant seats next to me (4th row in front of Mike) which were filled by some guy who made it all the way from the stands in the back.and 2 girls. I was a bit pissed off when he first turned up as he took up some valuable going off space but apart from offering me a choice of pink and yellow pills, which I declined, he was no trouble and he did have an absolute blast.

Words fail to describe the excitement and energy that we saw and experienced on Saturday nite. I was stoked with the totally rocking set list. Highlights – opening blast of Go, Animal, DTE, COMATOSE !!!!! MITS, U (Fucking amazing), crowd singing the opening of Better Man – I thought we were great and even tho Ed would have seen it 1000s of times, I think he was pretty impressed, TYAAM with marriage proposal on behalf of Damien Cassisi (?) to a very shocked girl friend, SOLAT (unfuckingbelievable) and a blistering cover of I Got You (Hubby claimed it to be best version he’s ever heard). BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD – Holy fucking cow. I was a screaming sweating heap and loooooving it. Hubby is not a die hard fan (but did introduce me to PJ via Ten) and he left the show totally amazed and blown away, saying that it was the best concert he has ever seen. It was 2.5 hours of screaming, dancing, singing and I went off like the proverbial firecracker.

Security was a little lax with people making their way to the front rows and plenty of smoking going on. Was stoked to be able to light a number at the beginning of the 2nd encore with no hassle.

I know this is long and disjointed but I could keep writing and still not be able to express how thankful and lucky I feel to have seen Pearl Jam on such a beautiful night, at the home of my beloved Eagles too (Bonus!!). I have never sweated so much in my life. My shoulders and neck are sore and my hands are bruised but my heart is full to bursting with happiness and amazement.

Thank you so much Pearl Jam for bringing so much joy to Mrs Average Australian and thank you 10c for awesome seats!!!!!
    Well put!!! I still haven't stopped rambling...am slowly getting my voice back and I sound like a teenage guy who's voice is breaking today....hehehe! Words could never describe Saturday night!!!! My story is so similar to yours, with all the things I've lived through....but the emotions that were surging through me on Saturday night were just so overwhelming!!! It couldn't have been any more perfect....I must have looked at my photo's a gazillion times already and am still pinching myself that I was within metres of my God (Ed)...couldn't even use the zoom much on my camera, I was so close and some of my photo's, I'd swear Ed is staring straight into my lense. The boys really enjoyed themselves and I'm sure that if Subiaco didn't have that poxy curfew, they would have kept playing. I could just go on and on and on, but I have said alot of the highlights already on other threads, so I won't repeat myself. CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THE BOOTLEG!!!!! I know I'll hear myself...everytime I bellowed a WOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! out just seemed to coincide with the audience going quiet, so you couldn't miss it. :D I well and truly did my job on Saturday night.....I'm only just getting my voice back (sorry to everyone around me at the show that had to put up with my very loud, very bad singing :), I'm aching in places I've never ached in before -my lower back is out, I'm sure I have whiplash and my knee is bung....I'm showing my age with all these aches and pains....but mate I wasn't acting my age the other night, that's for sure!!!!!! ;) Nobody could fault a single thing about Saturday night....it was UN-B-FUCKEN-LIEVABLY PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ed said they'll be back in 2 years, so I'm counting down already.....BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    i'm spewing that i didn't take my digital. it did say no digital cameras and no flashes in first 20 rows but i did take a disposable camera... but don't know how they turned out and i didn't want to be mucking aroudn too much with it - was too busy going off!!! Wooo fucking HOOOOOOOOO - it was just unreal. Feel a little sad that it's over but blessed that i was there.
  • Options
    pjcowgirl wrote:
    i'm spewing that i didn't take my digital. it did say no digital cameras and no flashes in first 20 rows but i did take a disposable camera... but don't know how they turned out and i didn't want to be mucking aroudn too much with it - was too busy going off!!! Wooo fucking HOOOOOOOOO - it was just unreal. Feel a little sad that it's over but blessed that i was there.
    Yeah....I decided to take a risk and take my digital....when I was going through the tunstyles, the security lady pointed to my purse/pouch and said what have you got in there and I just looked at her, but she pretty much straight away said just a camera is it-no worries, have a good night....PHEW!!!!
  • Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    Good shit to hear so many of you went as crazy as i did. I,too feel sad to think that theyre gone,but also excited to hear theyll be back. I worry sometimes thinking that pj have been around for so long,i hope they dont retire soon! Imagine their farewell tour! No,i wont coz ill cry! Also,can someone tell me exactly what a bootleg is? I know i sound comepletely dense but no one has ever explained it to me.
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    At 48 I can recall seeing people like Clapton and Dylan in the 70's through to seeing a lot of great Aussie bands like Chisel and the Oils at their peak, but I can't remember enjoying a concert as much as I did seeing Pearl Jam at Subiaco.

Everything was great. I was concerned at first that it started so full on that they wouldn't engage the audience, but as the concert went on (and Eddie's wine kicked in) they drew you in and it became an experience. You had a great, tight band playing a great set fronted by a guy who must surely be one of the best front men in rock music. I know that amongst their heroes are Neil Young and Crazy Horse, but Pearl Jam have taken it to another level.

The crowd too was great, with the only flaw as noted elsewhere that they were too quiet in calling for encores. I guess this is maybe the fault of bands generally as you know by the songs that haven't been played that they will come back.

Hope I haven't waffled too much. Great concert, and if they do come back in a couple of years as Eddie said then I will be in my 50's and still on the net to get the best tickets I can to see the best band going around.

Hey,another fellow bunbury pearl jam fan!
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    Good shit to hear so many of you went as crazy as i did. I,too feel sad to think that theyre gone,but also excited to hear theyll be back. I worry sometimes thinking that pj have been around for so long,i hope they dont retire soon! Imagine their farewell tour! No,i wont coz ill cry! Also,can someone tell me exactly what a bootleg is? I know i sound comepletely dense but no one has ever explained it to me.

Hey yellowled24 - a bootleg is a recording of the concert, and we're lucky enough to be able to download them from Basecamp productions. Have a look around the pit or go to https://bootlegs2.pearljam.com/ and you should be able to find what you need. Perth bootleg won't be available for a week approx. Good luck and happy listening :)
  • Options
    pjcowgirl wrote:
    Hey yellowled24 - a bootleg is a recording of the concert, and we're lucky enough to be able to download them from Basecamp productions. Have a look around the pit or go to https://bootlegs2.pearljam.com/ and you should be able to find what you need. Perth bootleg won't be available for a week approx. Good luck and happy listening :)
    Hey cow town resident! Thanks for that,thats cleared it up for me. Thats so cool now i can listen and remind myself what a awesome time sat night was. And thanks too for not teasing me for my dumbness!
  • Options
    Yeah....I decided to take a risk and take my digital....when I was going through the tunstyles, the security lady pointed to my purse/pouch and said what have you got in there and I just looked at her, but she pretty much straight away said just a camera is it-no worries, have a good night....PHEW!!!!
    Hows this? In brisbane we were right up the back and i couldnt take my camera,and in perth we were about 20 rows back from stage and i got my digital camera going! All the shots i was taking were blurry so i ended up taking photos of the big screen! Got a wicked one of ed as my screen saver.
  • Options
    Hey cow town resident! Thanks for that,thats cleared it up for me. Thats so cool now i can listen and remind myself what a awesome time sat night was. And thanks too for not teasing me for my dumbness!
    No dumbness there!!! You have to get the Perth boot!!! I know after 2003 it really helped me get through that post-tour-depression!!! You can just sit and re-live the whole experience over + over again. Now what would be even better would be a DVD, like LATG (2003) !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    No dumbness there!!! You have to get the Perth boot!!! I know after 2003 it really helped me get through that post-tour-depression!!! You can just sit and re-live the whole experience over + over again. Now what would be even better would be a DVD, like LATG (2003) !!!!!!!!!!!
    I rekon! Every night when i hit the pillow,i find it hard to get to sleep coz i keep re-living the concert in my head. Like when we found out how good our seats were (im easy pleased) and when ed had the flag on,and when they played all me fave songs and....AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!! Ive fallen in love with them all over again!
  • Options
    I rekon! Every night when i hit the pillow,i find it hard to get to sleep coz i keep re-living the concert in my head. Like when we found out how good our seats were (im easy pleased) and when ed had the flag on,and when they played all me fave songs and....AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!! Ive fallen in love with them all over again!
    LOL!!!! I've never been out of love with them since that first time I heard Alive all those years ago on Triple J. God that seems like yesterday. Unfortunately, my OBSESSION with them made my hubby fall out of love with the years ago....oh well, his loss :D
  • Options
    LOL!!!! I've never been out of love with them since that first time I heard Alive all those years ago on Triple J. God that seems like yesterday. Unfortunately, my OBSESSION with them made my hubby fall out of love with the years ago....oh well, his loss :D

Amazing, that's pretty much what happened with me. Hubby introduced me to them but then reckons he's "overdosed" on them coz i pretty much only listen to PJ. What a way to go huh?? i'll give him credit where due coz i wouldn't want to see PJ with anybody else really and he's put up with me raving about the show for ages............. and he totally rated the concert as mindblowing. He does give me a bit of a hard time about buying/burning boots - "how many Pearl Jam CDs do you need... they're all the same songs.... BLAH BLAH BLAH". I think he may even be a little jealous of my fondness for Mr Vedder ;)
  • Options
    pjcowgirl wrote:
    Amazing, that's pretty much what happened with me. Hubby introduced me to them but then reckons he's "overdosed" on them coz i pretty much only listen to PJ. What a way to go huh?? i'll give him credit where due coz i wouldn't want to see PJ with anybody else really and he's put up with me raving about the show for ages............. and he totally rated the concert as mindblowing. He does give me a bit of a hard time about buying/burning boots - "how many Pearl Jam CDs do you need... they're all the same songs.... BLAH BLAH BLAH". I think he may even be a little jealous of my fondness for Mr Vedder ;)
    SAME!!! I'm sure our hubbies aren't the only Pearl Jam Widowers out there;)
  • Options
    DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • Options
    DinghyDog wrote:
    while both my missus and I love PJ, (thats how we got together), i fear we are creating PJ-orphans :D i felt realy bad leaving our baby girl at her aunties for the show on saturday! but I bet she was sleeping all the time right and probably didn't even realise we were gone.
    Hey! it's good for the 2 of you and bub to have some time apart and yes she would have been fine:D Now that's where my hubby not liking PJ has a positive side, coz he stayed back at the hotel with our 3 kids, while I was at the concert!!!
  • Options
    DinghyDog wrote:
    while both my missus and I love PJ, (thats how we got together), i fear we are creating PJ-orphans :D i felt realy bad leaving our baby girl at her aunties for the show on saturday! but I bet she was sleeping all the time right and probably didn't even realise we were gone.

There is no guilt quite like that of a parent... and you're right she probably didn't realise you were gone and if she did, she's probably forgotten already :)
    Us parents have to look after ourselves or how are we going to look after everyone else?
  • Options
    some pics (if i get this right - its a new photobucket account)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q274/captainofcarrock/2.jpg

as usual, all my pics turned out crap - a mate took these ones.

OMG!!! This pic is AWESOME!!!!!!!! WOW!!!

love the first lean too!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q274/captainofcarrock/3.jpg

Thx for these.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Hey? pjcowgirl....how was the fancy hotel???
  • Options
    Hey? pjcowgirl....how was the fancy hotel???

meh, nothing special at all but i have been spoilt by previous accommodations :) Overall, found Perth too busy for this country hick. It was absolute hell trying to get out of Subi and took a good hour to flag a taxi down. Saw some drunken tool smashing windows up and down Hay St Subi. But once we got back to the hotel, we were glowing and overwhelmed and talked up the concert big time into the early hours of Sunday morning.

Was very glad to be back home in little old Cowaramup. If only Pearl Jam would play at the Cowaramup club :D Aaaahhhhhhhhhh, one can only dream.

How was yours??
  • Options
    pjcowgirl wrote:
    meh, nothing special at all but i have been spoilt by previous accommodations :) Overall, found Perth too busy for this country hick. It was absolute hell trying to get out of Subi and took a good hour to flag a taxi down. Saw some drunken tool smashing windows up and down Hay St Subi. But once we got back to the hotel, we were glowing and overwhelmed and talked up the concert big time into the early hours of Sunday morning.

Was very glad to be back home in little old Cowaramup. If only Pearl Jam would play at the Cowaramup club :D Aaaahhhhhhhhhh, one can only dream.

How was yours??
    Yeah, we were really happy where we stayed. Different circumstances though, coz we had the 3 kids with us. It wasn't anything fancy, but a great place to take the family. We had an appartment on the top floor (only 4 floors) which had 2 x bedrooms, a bathroom, a laundry with a w.mach and dryer etc;, a self contained kitchen and a loungeroom. Downstairs was a playground for the kids, with tables and chairs and BBQs, so we could sit out there and have a few cans and ciggies while they wore themselves out and we cooked BBQ tea. In another section was a beautiful pool and a seperate spa (where I lived with can in hand ;)) It was super clean and the staff were great...we've already decided to go back there asap.
    I agree about Perth though....HATED it....prolly only coz I am from the country....it was all too much for me, our kids freaked everytime they heard sirens (which was often) coz they just hear that hear. I got so lost after the concert. I drove there and ended up in Vic; Park, trying to find West Perth!!!! LOL!!! What a Knob!!! Had the best weekend of my life though!!!!!
  • Options
    Yeah, we were really happy where we stayed. Different circumstances though, coz we had the 3 kids with us. It wasn't anything fancy, but a great place to take the family. We had an appartment on the top floor (only 4 floors) which had 2 x bedrooms, a bathroom, a laundry with a w.mach and dryer etc;, a self contained kitchen and a loungeroom. Downstairs was a playground for the kids, with tables and chairs and BBQs, so we could sit out there and have a few cans and ciggies while they wore themselves out and we cooked BBQ tea. In another section was a beautiful pool and a seperate spa (where I lived with can in hand ;)) It was super clean and the staff were great...we've already decided to go back there asap.
    I agree about Perth though....HATED it....prolly only coz I am from the country....it was all too much for me, our kids freaked everytime they heard sirens (which was often) coz they just hear that hear. I got so lost after the concert. I drove there and ended up in Vic; Park, trying to find West Perth!!!! LOL!!! What a Knob!!! Had the best weekend of my life though!!!!!

Both my girls were really keen to come but i am sooooo glad we didn't take them - they would have seriously hated it too.

I would have trod the proverbial hot coals to see Pearl Jam tho.... and they made it soooo worth it. I said to hubby on Friday that last time we saw PJ was the best weekend of my life, combined with staying at an executive suite at the Burswood (thx to my very cool boss). Now we both agree that this was the best.

we're just amazed that 5 guys (6 w/boom) and their extraordinary music can make ordinary plebs like us so very fucking happy :):):)
  • Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    For me, the show was marred a little by the drunk fucks who jumped in our row and stood behind us. I wouldn't have had much of a problem with it if they behaved, but they were aggressive tools. I made the mistake of saying something to one of them, only to have him whack me on the back. And I heard later that Hinn was threatened to be beaten up after the show. This isn't what you want anywhere, let alone when seeing your favourite band in the universe. And when one of the guys stormed past me and then dived over the barricade, wrestling from Ivan a tambourine that Ed had intended for him, I couldn't believe it. Whoever you are, you were the biggest wanker of the night. Thankfully, Ed realised Ivan hadn't received it, and gave him his wine bottle.

So a bunch of idiots like that aside, it was pretty special seeing Pearl Jam under the moon and stars on a beautiful Perth evening at Subi.

Sam and I met Stone and Mike at the beach earlier that day, and from then on just felt like we were on such a high. Walking into the stadium was also an incredible feeling.. just seeing the whole set-up. I was second row Ed, and had a sign for In Hiding which my girlfriend made for me. Ed prefaced the song by pointing at our row and saying something like "This is a request for somewhere around there". Mike also saw my War Pigs sign during Alive, and proceeded to drop the riff into the Alive solo. For my It's OK sign during Daughter, Stone just gave a smile. I saw Ed say something to him as the tag was about to start, but no luck.

The end of Black was as beautiful as ever.. many joining in with the falsetto, which had a contented Ed crouching down at the front of the stage. For 22,000 people the Alive chant didn't seem to fire as much as it should've I don't think, but it's always pleased Ed to see us doing it.

I'm glad those who missed Sydney 3 got to see I Got You, and a moving TYAAM was such a nice addition (whatever happened to the guy who was meant to be proposing to his girlfriend?!). And the footy antics at the end were hilarious, I'm so glad they did that, especially after we wanted to give them a football to kick around at Subi as a gift.

It was hard when each song finished, knowing it was the last time you'd hear it live for a long time. I expected to be balling during the show, and I can't remember if I shed a tear or not. Sometimes things don't sink in until later. I do recall facing Hinny and screaming the lyrics to Blood (at least I think it was Blood). It's so awesome when you can see a show with your friends from the tour.

We chilled by the touring van for a while, and then it was over. Greatest time in my life had come to a close, but thanks to everyone here who made it what it was.
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Options
    edited November 2012
    -
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    -
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    -
  • Options
    Bugger about the wankers on your side. We were 4th row in front of Mike and apart from the dude who snuck in next to us, and another random guy who was hiding from security in front of us for a song or two, we were wanker free.

I'd be totally off it if some shithead spoilt the show for us... and it gives the rest of us Sandgropers a bad name too.
  • Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    DinghyDog wrote:
    was that for real or is mr. ed fooling with us?

Haha I thought it was.. the girl stood up on her chair...
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney