Options

Why do we need to "believe" in God?

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    You did not have to say flaky doesn't lend well with a conversation...

I have stated at length what I know to be, how I learned it, and how I can not help anyone
    learn about God.... one must experience God on one's own...makes sense.

I hope you can find God, this by losing the logical and letting your spirit go,

problem is one must first be open to the idea ...

we are a spirit, that we have a continuing soul

which you have stated at length you do not believe.

I think if you are happy where you are at
    because of your beliefs
    you will never be able to understand a believer.
    You are biased and can not understand what we believe.

wrong pandora... more than once ive stated that i have a soul and that i identify it as my conscience. of course i do not think it survives beyond my death. as for spirit... that does live beyond our death... in the memories of those who loved us. damn my logical mind. ;)

im not seeking to believe in any God... that is not my path. then again im not seeking to murder someone either but i constantly seek to understand the mind of a pychopathic killer. what was your point????
    no point except you probably won't understand my mind... so flaky as it is ;)

play poker much pandora???
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    pandora wrote:
    We are little sponges as kids and so much is absorbed negative and positive before we even have memories. This is hugely what makes us, combination enviroment and genes.
    I can't help but think your negativity towards the religious comes from negative religious experiences as a child. I don't think it could help but be that way. No control over that can one have.
    I had none, no religious teaching or experience and was an atheist until the early 90's, I was approaching forty.
    My not believing came from a logical place until I learned there is so much more to us than logical ... and here is where God is. One's logical mind will keep God away until the barrier is removed. It is up to each person to work on that barrier to find truth.
    In some cases there is so much negative that is associated with God that the the barrier is it hard to remove... and logical remains the deciding force of who that person is and what their beliefs are. Although there is so much more available to learn.
    Nothing to do with logic... everything to do with witnessing the disconnect between what people say and what people do. I know many Atheists who are kind, forgiving, understanding, charitable and loving... and many so-called believers who are not.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I have stated at length what I know to be, how I learned it, and how I can not help anyone
    learn about God.... one must experience God on one's own...makes sense.
    I hope you can find God, this by losing the logical and letting your spirit go, problem is one must first be open to the idea ...we are a spirit, that we have a continuing soul which you have stated at length you do not believe.
    I think if you are happy where you are at because of your beliefs you will never be able to understand a believer. You are biased and can not understand what we believe.
    It must be an extremly difficult cross for you to bear. I'm being serious, here. It must be extrememly difficult for you to know God... and not being able to share that with you husband... your children... your friends... anyone in need.
    I say this because it would weight so heavily on my heart to see people I love, in need... and not being able to do anything to help them along other than telling them they need to figure it out themselves... when I already possess the knowledge to help them.
    Actually I have felt uplifted and free knowing God, as you might imagine.

My love and support for family friends is what they need from me just as yours do.

As I have said at length one must experience God themselves I can not give them God...
    but you know this already.
  • Options

play poker much pandora???
    I have never but my daughter is awesome at it! :D

I don't gamble ... I go with sure bets... like God ;)
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    My love and support for family friends is what they need from me just as yours do.
    As I have said at length one must experience God themselves I can not give them God... but you know this already.
    Yes. But, you do not feel helpless when they are in times of need? It seems to me, it would be difficult to bear, sitting by and letting them hit rock bottom. But, I suppose... you have to do what you have to do, right?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Something you should know about God lyrics

God is a concept,
    By which we can measure,
    Our pain,
    I'll say it again,
    God is a concept,
    By which we can measure,
    Our pain,
    I don't believe in magic,
    I don't believe in I-ching,
    I don't believe in bible,
    I don't believe in tarot,
    I don't believe in Hitler,
    I don't believe in Jesus,
    I don't believe in Kennedy,
    I don't believe in Buddha,
    I don't believe in mantra,
    I don't believe in Gita,
    I don't believe in yoga,
    I don't believe in kings,
    I don't believe in Elvis,
    I don't believe in Zimmerman,
    I don't believe in Beatles,
    I just believe in me,
    Yoko and me,
    And that's reality.
    The dream is over,
    What can I say?
    The dream is over,
    Yesterday,
    I was dreamweaver,
    But now I'm reborn,
    I was the walrus,
    But now I'm John,
    And so dear friends,
    You just have to carry on,
    The dream is over.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    We are little sponges as kids and so much is absorbed negative and positive
    before we even have memories. This is hugely what makes us, combination enviroment
    and genes.

I can't help but think your negativity towards the religious
    comes from negative religious experiences as a child. I don't think it could help but
    be that way. No control over that can one have.

I had none, no religious teaching or experience and was an atheist until the early 90's,
    I was approaching forty.

My not believing came from a logical place until I learned there is so much more
    to us than logical ... and here is where God is. One's logical mind will keep God away
    until the barrier is removed. It is up to each person to work on that barrier to find
    truth.

In some cases there is so much negative that is associated with God that the the barrier
    is it hard to remove... and logical remains the deciding force of who that person is
    and what their beliefs are. Although there is so much more available to learn.

I find that a lot of people like myself, (and maybe Cate) were overly inquisitive at a young age, and the answers we got from religious folks were diversions or illogical.

I can't see why a loving God would pick and chose who to "let in".
    Why do so many different Gods and religions exists in particular regions? Obvious answer: Because they are taught to children by people (parents). Shoved down their throats sometimes. Forced before they can even digest; even brainwashed.

There are too many contradictory ideologies in Christianty (what was imposed upon me as a kid) for me.
    This is religion not God Jonny
    so perhaps you have negative thoughts towards God because of what man taught you?
    maybe?

What you learned at a young age perhaps put a barrier up and makes it difficult to accept God.
    The logical mind is not allowing the barrier to be removed....?
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    As I have said at length one must experience God themselves I can not give them God... but you know this already.
    Yes. But, you do not feel helpless when they are in times of need? It seems to me, it would be difficult to bear, sitting by and letting them hit rock bottom. But, I suppose... you have to do what you have to do, right?
    What power do I have more than you as a nonbeliever?

I pray for loved ones of course... I pray for many. But I can't make anyone believe or know God
    as I have said, that one must find on their own.

Logical minds in time may find....
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    This is religion not God Jonny so perhaps you have negative thoughts towards God because of what man taught you?
    maybe?
    What you learned at a young age perhaps put a barrier up and makes it difficult to accept God. The logical mind is not allowing the barrier to be removed....?
    Along those same lines... the God that you know may have elements of the God from religion. Certainly, the aspect of afterlife comes from religion. Your God is based upon your years of absorbing religion... on a sub-conscious level.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    We are little sponges as kids and so much is absorbed negative and positive
    before we even have memories. This is hugely what makes us, combination enviroment
    and genes.

I can't help but think your negativity towards the religious
    comes from negative religious experiences as a child. I don't think it could help but
    be that way. No control over that can one have.

I had none, no religious teaching or experience and was an atheist until the early 90's,
    I was approaching forty.

My not believing came from a logical place until I learned there is so much more
    to us than logical ... and here is where God is. One's logical mind will keep God away
    until the barrier is removed. It is up to each person to work on that barrier to find
    truth.

In some cases there is so much negative that is associated with God that the the barrier
    is it hard to remove... and logical remains the deciding force of who that person is
    and what their beliefs are. Although there is so much more available to learn.

I find that a lot of people like myself, (and maybe Cate) were overly inquisitive at a young age, and the answers we got from religious folks were diversions or illogical.

I can't see why a loving God would pick and chose who to "let in".
    Why do so many different Gods and religions exists in particular regions? Obvious answer: Because they are taught to children by people (parents). Shoved down their throats sometimes. Forced before they can even digest; even brainwashed.

There are too many contradictory ideologies in Christianty (what was imposed upon me as a kid) for me.
    This is religion not God Jonny
    so perhaps you have negative thoughts towards God because of what man taught you?
    maybe?

What you learned at a young age perhaps put a barrier up and makes it difficult to accept God.
    The logical mind is not allowing the barrier to be removed....?

but this is the thing pandora... we didnt learn anything at a young age. man taught me nothing. man showed me nothing but contempt for my questions.

i fully understand the chances of getting me to believe in the nonsensical were slim but i seem to have no problem with fantasy fiction. but then again im not expected to take them as some sort of truth. so... :think:

and just so you know, my logical mind has abandoned me every now again when i found myself loving someone... im in hte middle if it as i write tis and i hate my nonlogical mind because of it. so dont tell me i dont have the capacity for things that are illogical cause clearly i do.. i just dont have time for the illogical that people push as truth, or a variation of it..
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I did not know God as I was an atheist until age 40
    I had very little, if any, subconscious religious references, as you put it,
    never being taught religion.

Thankfully it is not that which has given me what I know to be true.

Truth is free to find once the logical mind is freed.
    Once you know God it is the only logic needed and the puzzle pieces fall in place.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306

but this is the thing pandora... we didnt learn anything at a young age. man taught me nothing. man showed me nothing but contempt for my questions.

i fully understand the chances of getting me to believe in the nonsensical were slim but i seem to have no problem with fantasy fiction. but then again im not expected to take them as some sort of truth. so... :think:

and just so you know, my logical mind has abandoned me every now again when i found myself loving someone... im in hte middle if it as i write tis and i hate my nonlogical mind because of it. so dont tell me i dont have the capacity for things that are illogical cause clearly i do.. i just dont have time for the illogical that people push as truth, or a variation of it..

Love is completely logical
    http://www.youramazingbrain.org/lovesex/sciencelove.htm
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

Once you know God it is the only logic needed and the puzzle pieces fall in place.

subconscious religious references are all around us. your country was founded because of religious ideology. so unless you grew up on the moon you were exposed to it, you just werent aware of it and just took it, now matter how benign it was, as part of the fabric of the society in which you grew up... that why its called SUBconscious.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    pandora wrote:
    What power do I have more than you as a nonbeliever?

I pray for loved ones of course... I pray for many. But I can't make anyone believe or know God
    as I have said, that one must find on their own.

Logical minds in time may find....
    Well... off-hand, I would say the biggest difference regarding the power to help people is that you KNOW God... and I do not. Yet, your prayers are as ineffective as mine. You may be able to pray to God to help your loved ones... but, He will not. Your loved ones have to carry their own weight, while you sit by... helpless.
    That doesn't bother you? Because it I know God... and was unwilling to share Him with my loved ones... especially when they most needed Him... it would surely make me feel sad.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    pandora wrote:

So... are you saying you lived for 40 years... and never heard of 'The Bible'?
    Wow. You really must live out in the middle of nowhere... on Mars or something.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    your country was founded because of religious ideology.

Please don't remind us, it's bad enough here.
  • Options
    dignin wrote:

Love is completely logical
    http://www.youramazingbrain.org/lovesex/sciencelove.htm

i understand all that.... thats love being chemical. and im down with that. i call it illogical cause at times we find ourselves loving someone who isnt good for us or who we peg as just a friend. i know theres a difference between loving someone and being in love with them but when it moves from the former to the latter despite our best intentions for it to not be so, thats when it becomes illogical(for me anyway)... which perhaps may well be logical.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

man taught you religion... I have heard you speak on it... you are well versed
    as are many atheists on the board... my point.
    The correlation relevant.

Man taught you plenty that you rejected ... religion becoming illogical to you.
    God becoming illogical to you.
    God= Religion Religion= God

That may not be the case though... my point .... that the two are not the same.
    If you can open thought to that possibility.

But perhaps you don't have time :?
    it is you who were seeking to understand or was it just to disclaim what I know?

I am lost on the love thing...

I think it is logical to love that confuses my totally

love is the best thing our logical minds have ... it is real, tangible, needed to flourish
    to learn and and grow in this life and beyond... it is all we take from here
    it is saved
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Cosmo wrote:
    Nothing to do with logic...

As you say. Logic is not a barrier to spirituality and they do not need to be mutually exclusive, on the contrary.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

it is you who were seeking to understand or was it just to disclaim what I know?

love is the best thing our logical minds have ... it is real, tangible, needed to flourish
    it is saved

well lets just say Man tried to teach me religion.. i wasnt having a bar of it as it turns out cause it couldnt be taught to me in a way id understand. it was more indoctrination than a seeking/sharing of knowledge. but then again religion isnt illogical to me pandora... i totally understand religion.i understand its place and purpose withinin our society, i always have. what i dont understand and had/have a great deal of trouble fathoming is the existence of God as a truth.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:

So... are you saying you lived for 40 years... and never heard of 'The Bible'?
    Wow. You really must live out in the middle of nowhere... on Mars or something.
    I do have alien blood ;) mosquitos even afraid to bite

Of course I have heard of the Bible but have not read it ... I am saying that for 40 years
    I had the same references... next to none ... so your theory goes poof!

You certainly fight against the possibility of God for someone who claims
    not to be an atheist ... am I mistaken ... you have said you are searching
    but that is not the vibe you give...

perhaps you can share what you have learned of God
    that you have rejected as untruth and maybe what you have found that is a possibility
    for you that seems could be truth to you

in other words what leads you to believe there is a God and what searches in your life
    have proved to you there is no God?
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

it is saved

well lets just say Man tried to teach me religion.. i wasnt having a bar of it as it turns out cause it couldnt be taught to me in a way id understand. it was more indoctrination than a seeking/sharing of knowledge. but then again religion isnt illogical to me pandora... i totally understand religion.i understand its place and purpose withinin our society, i always have. what i dont understand and had/have a great deal of trouble fathoming is the existence of God as a truth.
    Is this your logical mind then speaking correct? It sounds like it
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Is this your logical mind then speaking correct? [/color] It sounds like it

im not quite grasping your question.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Of course I have heard of the Bible but have not read it ... I am saying that for 40 years
    You certainly fight against the possibility of God for someone who claims not to be an atheist ... am I mistaken ... you have said you are searching but that is not the vibe you give... perhaps you can share what you have learned of God that you have rejected as untruth and maybe what you have found that is a possibility
    for you that seems could be truth to you in other words what leads you to believe there is a God and what searches in your life have proved to you there is no God?
    Unlike yourself, I am completely able and willing to explain what i have learned in my search for God and the Truth:
    First and Foremost... anyone who tells me that they know God... does not. Sure, they might believe to know God... but, in reality... they don't know Him. Why? Because this is the biggest quest in the history of Man. The person who truely knows God will not simply tell me, "I know God"... they will share God with me, so I will share God with others. To know God's love is to SHARE God's love. To keep God's love for yourself, sounds... well... kinda selfish.
    In your specific case, you come off as awfully selfish... with an almost, 'I've got mine... get yer own' attitude towards Him. I believe God is greater than that and if He were to choose those who know Him... they would be the ones to share His love with all of Mankind.
    If that is your religion... and it works for you... GREAT. Live long and prosper. But, don't expect me (or anyone else) to buy what you're selling. I know you will reiterate that it is FOR YOU ONLY... trust me... i do not want anything that you have.
    I have also found that there are probably many roads that eventually lead us towards God. Any of the religions will take you there... even if you do not believe in Him... He will seek you out. All you have to be is kind and caring.
    I don't believe in a Heaven or Hell... I don't know if there is another level of being after this one. All i really know is that this is the only one I truely knows exists and therefore, I need to do the best I can with the Time i'm given.
    Any more questions of me?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    You certainly fight against the possibility of God for someone who claims not to be an atheist ... am I mistaken ... you have said you are searching but that is not the vibe you give... perhaps you can share what you have learned of God that you have rejected as untruth and maybe what you have found that is a possibility
    for you that seems could be truth to you in other words what leads you to believe there is a God and what searches in your life have proved to you there is no God?
    Unlike yourself, I am completely able and willing to explain what i have learned in my search for God and the Truth:
    First and Foremost... anyone who tells me that they know God... does not. Sure, they might believe to know God... but, in reality... they don't know Him. Why? Because this is the biggest quest in the history of Man. The person who truely knows God will not simply tell me, "I know God"... they will share God with me, so I will share God with others. To know God's love is to SHARE God's love. To keep God's love for yourself, sounds... well... kinda selfish.
    In your specific case, you come off as awfully selfish... with an almost, 'I've got mine... get yer own' attitude towards Him. I believe God is greater than that and if He were to choose those who know Him... they would be the ones to share His love with all of Mankind.
    If that is your religion... and it works for you... GREAT. Live long and prosper. But, don't expect me (or anyone else) to buy what you're selling. I know you will reiterate that it is FOR YOU ONLY... trust me... i do not want anything that you have.
    I have also found that there are probably many roads that eventually lead us towards God. Any of the religions will take you there... even if you do not believe in Him... He will seek you out. All you have to be is kind and caring.
    I don't believe in a Heaven or Hell... I don't know if there is another level of being after this one. All i really know is that this is the only one I truely knows exists and therefore, I need to do the best I can with the Time i'm given.
    Any more questions of me?

so tell me cosmo...

are you agnostic/searching/ a believer????
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    so tell me cosmo...

Yes.
    I believe in something greater than myself... it may just turn out to be the power of Nature, chaos, random order or pure energy.
    I am searching for something... mainly because I don't want to believe that this is all we get. I am hoping for the best... but, prepared for the truth.
    A believer? Yeah... a believer in hope and faith and love. All of which are human and not attributed to God.
    That is how I am able to accept Pandora's belief that she knows God... and reject her doctrine that she does know God. Just like all of those religions that share the very same presumption.
    And yes... I also believe i will never find what I'm looking for... leastwise, not here... in this life.
    Simply put... like that Chinese cookie once told me, 'The Journey Is The Reward' (in bed)
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    I've read through the majority of this thread and have found it interesting yet very, very frustrating.

Who,exactly, is "God"? Or what is "God"? What does "God" do?

I attended Catholic school from Kindergarten through my senior year in high school. I even went to a private Catholic college. I've studied not only Catholicism, but, in general, religion and beliefs my whole life. I'm now 24 and have been non-practicing for about 5 years. I feel I have enough knowledge to determine that the majority of what I have been taught may work for others but it's not for me. From personal experiences, I feel that there's some sort of spiritual nature to life, but I have a hard time understanding the personification and capitalization of "God", or believing in this specific "God" in general. I always fall back on those questions in the beginning of my post when talking and no one really answers them. They're always obscure and just seem like BS. So I figured I'd throw out these questions to the people who are 100% certain in this thread.

EDIT: or for that matter, anyone's ideas on those questions.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    so tell me cosmo...

Yes.
    I believe in something greater than myself... it may just turn out to be the power of Nature, chaos, random order or pure energy.
    I am searching for something... mainly because I don't want to believe that this is all we get. I am hoping for the best... but, prepared for the truth.
    A believer? Yeah... a believer in hope and faith and love. All of which are human and not attributed to God.
    That is how I am able to accept Pandora's belief that she knows God... and reject her doctrine that she does know God. Just like all of those religions that share the very same presumption.
    And yes... I also believe i will never find what I'm looking for... leastwise, not here... in this life.
    Simply put... like that Chinese cookie once told me, 'The Journey Is The Reward' (in bed)

i dunno about that cookie fortune... if i dont get to the destination then really the journey may well turn out to be worthless. ;):lol:

anyhoo....
    why do you want to believe this isnt all we get??? i have no problem with this life is all were getting, so we better make it all we can. this doesnt mean thats how i live cause i know there are things i hesitate to do because there is a bigger picture that may well be of more benfit to me if i dont choose a particular path, no matter how much i want to.

has this thought of yours developed as youve gotten older? do you think its a result of you confronting your own mortality? what if this ONE`life we get is the truth??? you realise if that is the case then youll never know.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Suave.27 wrote:
    I've read through the majority of this thread and have found it interesting yet very, very frustrating.

I attended Catholic school from Kindergarten through my senior year in high school. I even went to a private Catholic college. I've studied not only Catholicism, but, in general, religion and beliefs my whole life. I'm now 24 and have been non-practicing for about 5 years. I feel I have enough knowledge to determine that the majority of what I have been taught may work for others but it's not for me. From personal experiences, I feel that there's some sort of spiritual nature to life, but I have a hard time understanding the personification and capitalization of "God", or believing in this specific "God" in general. I always fall back on those questions in the beginning of my post when talking and no one really answers them. They're always obscure and just seem like BS. So I figured I'd throw out these questions to the people who are 100% certain in this thread.

the personification of God is due to the projection of humans. we created God therefore he needs to be in a form we find comforting and nonconfronting.. strangely enough despite all we do to each other as humans, that seems to be in human form. God becomes approachable and more believable if His form is familiar.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Suave.27 wrote:

Welcome to the discussion...
    Here are my answers to your questions:
    Who,exactly, is "God"? I have no idea... but, when I find out, you'll be the fisrt one I'll tell.
    Or what is "God"? God may simply be the power that drives the Universe... or the Universe itself. Or... He might be nothing other than Man's explanation for occurances in the natural world that Man just can't figure out.
    What does "God" do? Apparently... He does everything or nothing or both. Personally... I have no idea.
    Hail, Hail!!!
This discussion has been closed.