Options

Why do we need to "believe" in God?

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    pandora wrote:
    I accept that fine Cosmo just wondered why you kept this going so long if it was so simple...
    I have asked this of you before one would think it should be a matter of Let people have what they have and respect that and each other.
    It is your belief/ opinion, as other atheists, that no one can know God others do know God.... pretty much a agree to disagree subject
    this should be helpful in the future ... one would think :?
    I have been saying this ALL ALONG. From the initial post on page 4 until now. I have continually said that I can accept your belief, but do not believe your personal religious doctrine. You were the one that prolonged this thing with all sorts of non-sensical tangents that sometimes went to the surface of Mars.
    And yeah... I really don't care if you want to label me incorrectly as an atheist... because I don't care what people i don't know say or feel about me. Go ahead with your passive/aggressive tactics and call me a non-believer, an atheist, an abuser, an asshole... because I really don't care what you believe.
    Sorry... but, that is the truth.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    There IS proof!!

Video: Herman Cain Says God Told Him to Run For President

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics ... -president
    :lol:
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    There IS proof!!

And didn't God tell George W. Bush to invade Iraq?
    Did Mr. Bush ask his father for any advice? "I asked the president about this. And President Bush said, 'Well, no,' and then he got defensive about it," says Woodward. "Then he said something that really struck me. He said of his father, 'He is the wrong father to appeal to for advice. The wrong father to go to, to appeal to in terms of strength.' And then he said, 'There's a higher Father that I appeal to.'"
    Beyond not asking his father about going to war, Woodward was startled to learn that the president did not ask key cabinet members either.

ref. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/ ... 2067.shtml
    or maybe that was Jesus' fault.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I accept that fine Cosmo just wondered why you kept this going so long if it was so simple...
    I have asked this of you before one would think it should be a matter of Let people have what they have and respect that and each other.
    It is your belief/ opinion, as other atheists, that no one can know God others do know God.... pretty much a agree to disagree subject
    this should be helpful in the future ... one would think :?
    I have been saying this ALL ALONG. From the initial post on page 4 until now. I have continually said that I can accept your belief, but do not believe your personal religious doctrine. You were the one that prolonged this thing with all sorts of non-sensical tagents that sometimes went to the surface of Mars.
    And yeah... I really don't care if you want to label me incorrectly as an atheist... because I don't care what people i don't know say or feel about me. Go ahead with your passive/aggressive tactics and call me a non-believer, an atheist, an abuser, an asshole... because I really don't care what you believe.
    Sorry... but, that is the truth.
    it is evident how you feel about me and others
    and religion cosmo and what you believe and don't you have told us many times. ...
    I think it's understood

I guess one more post was needed to get in a dig... mars :?
    passive aggressive... etc

ok

so we can agree in the future to disagree on how people can know God
    good thing

you have said you are still searching this ....
    you have stated numerous times

could it be ....
    it takes an understanding of God to understand how anyone
    can say they know God .... makes sense

as a former atheist I understand why nonbelievers would not understand ... makes sense
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    There IS proof!!

Did Mr. Bush ask his father for any advice? "I asked the president about this. And President Bush said, 'Well, no,' and then he got defensive about it," says Woodward. "Then he said something that really struck me. He said of his father, 'He is the wrong father to appeal to for advice. The wrong father to go to, to appeal to in terms of strength.' And then he said, 'There's a higher Father that I appeal to.'"
    Beyond not asking his father about going to war, Woodward was startled to learn that the president did not ask key cabinet members either.

I would say that Cain and Bush Jr. both "know" God as well.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:
    again

Let people have what they have and respect that and each other.

you can process what I say the way you choose Jonny.
    I never asked anyone to believe what I know to be.
    If someone does not agree that should be the end of story.

It is your belief as other atheists that no one can know God
    others say they do know God.... pretty much a
    agree to disagree subject

I think you are confusing some people like myself and Cosmo regarding the term atheist and agnostic.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    pandora wrote:
    it is evident how you feel about me and others and religion cosmo and what you believe and don't you have told us many times. ... I think it's understood
    I guess one more post was needed to get in a dig... mars :? passive aggressive... etc
    ok
    so we can agree in the future to disagree on how people can know God good thing
    you have said you are still searching this .... you have stated numerous times could it be ....
    it takes an understanding of God to understand how anyone can say they know God .... makes sense as a former atheist I understand why nonbelievers would not understand ... makes sense
    I know you get hung up on little things and let them turn into grudges... so, let me grudge-bust these:
    'Reeks of Religion' - The actually comment in full context was that your doctrine of 'I know God', "reeks of religious dogma". Which is a true statement because a lot of religious dogma uses that same catch-phrase, 'I know God'. Yours is no different. if you need further affirmation, Google 'I Know God' and look at what it returns.
    'Mars' - Full context was a reference that your statement of living 40 years and never having any religious sentiment of the Biblical version of God seep into your subconscious sounded absurd to me... especially for someone living in America... it the Southern States of America. The only way for someone living 40 years and never having any Biblical reference to God, in my opinion, must have lived their 40 years in the middle of nowhere... on Mars. You know, because that is the only place i thought of where someone 40 years old would have never had access to a church or a Bible or a person who has had contact with a church or a Bible... Mars.
    There... now... you see? Simple. I don't think you are from Mars... but, some of your comments make it sound like you've been there.
    So, again... I am happy you have found God. It is not that I do not understand you... truth is, I simply cannot believe you. To each, our own. You believe you... I don't believe you.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    There IS proof!!

are you now belittling Jesus and those who believe he is a savior?

If so... that's not very respectful of you who respects all religions and is trying to be kind
    and understanding of others

sheesh
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    There IS proof!!

If so... that's not very respectful of you who respects all religions and is trying to be kind
    and understanding of others

sheesh

Oh get over yourself Pandora. You're baiting Cosmo now.
    ...and that's against guidelines. Shall I refer you to those?
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    again

you can process what I say the way you choose Jonny.
    I never asked anyone to believe what I know to be.
    If someone does not agree that should be the end of story.

It is your belief as other atheists that no one can know God
    others say they do know God.... pretty much a
    agree to disagree subject

I think you are confusing some people like myself and Cosmo regarding the term atheist and agnostic.
    atheists do not believe... agnostic do not believe or disbelieve ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

neither understand God because they do not believe or cannot commit to the idea of man knowing God....
    could be hard to know God in those situations ... makes sense

basically it is as I said an agree to disagree subject
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    There is a lot more to agnostic than 'do not believe or disbelieve'. Even reading the whole wiki article linked will explain that.
  • Options
    this why I posted the link... makes sense
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Agnostic theism <--- Me, i belive in God and Pray to God, but i dont have a clue What/Who/Where God is.

Hopefully some day, MANY years from now i'll find out.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:
    atheists do not believe... agnostic do not believe or disbelieve ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

neither understand God because they do not believe or cannot commit to the idea of man knowing God....

Well, you were an athiest until you knew God, when you said something changed and you were able to "know God"...
    so I could be wrong, but doesnt that contradict what you are saying in this last quote?

By this rationale, no athiest or agnostic can ever know God.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

Well, you were an athiest until you knew God, when you said something changed and you were able to "know God"...
    so I could be wrong, but doesnt that contradict what you are saying in this last quote?

By this rationale, no athiest or agnostic can ever know God.
    could be hard to know God I said... not impossible

God makes all things possible :D
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I met Eddie Vedder.
    Eddie Vedder was nice to me when we met.
    I do not know Eddie Vedder.
    I do not claim to know Eddie Vedder.
    I don't know if Eddie Vedder is a nice person.
    All i know is that when I met Eddie Vedder... he was nice to me.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    If so... that's not very respectful of you who respects all religions and is trying to be kind and understanding of others
    sheesh
    Hey Pandora... your petticoat... er, your pettiness is showing.
    I know you have to search for things to get your petty grievences out... but, sorry... you're really reaching some great distances for this one... like from Mars.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i know God. thats how i decided he didnt exist.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Part of my belief system includes this tennent:
    The person who truely does know God will possess a wisdom that others who claim to know Him do not.
    I know it is my belief and not founded in any factual foundation. Just something I'd like to believe to be true.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    could be hard to know God in those situations ... makes sense basically it is as I said an agree to disagree subject
    Just a little constructive criticism... if you are going to post a link... it's a good idea to actually read the link, before commenting on it:
    "... agnostic theists (who believe a God exists but do not claim to know that)."
    ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

my statement was in the article.... here....
    In the popular sense, an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves there is a God, whereas an atheist disbelieves there is a God
    In the strict sense, however, agnosticism is the view that human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify knowledge whether God exists or does not

are you saying you are an agnostic theist then ... this your point with your giant letters

I wasn't attempting to identify you personally with my link
    but glad you found the info helpful to you
    I don't think you have identified yourself as that here :? at least not that I have seen
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    If so... that's not very respectful of you who respects all religions and is trying to be kind and understanding of others
    sheesh
    I know you have to search for things to get your petty grievences out... but, sorry... you're really reaching some great distances for this one... like from Mars.
    no you were being disrespectful to those who believe Jesus is their savior
    true colors

as you have been to me when putting me in a class with devout religious figures
    because you don't/ can't believe nor understand ... something you admit

you must resort to this to get a point across... belittle others... put downs

I think the petticoat may have been to belittle women or southern women too I guess :?
    nice cosmos you must be so proud of yourself
    true colors you show and nothing to be proud of.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    could be hard to know God in those situations ... makes sense basically it is as I said an agree to disagree subject
    Just a little constructive criticism... if you are going to post a link... it's a good idea to actually read the link, before commenting on it:
    "... agnostic theists (who believe a God exists but do not claim to know that)."
    ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

In the popular sense, an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves there is a God, whereas an atheist disbelieves there is a God
    In the strict sense, however, agnosticism is the view that human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify knowledge whether God exists or does not

are you saying you are an agnostic theist then ... this your point with your giant letters

I don't think you have identified yourself as that here :? at least not that I have seen
    Nope. Just saying that not all Agnostics fall under your general statement:
    "neither (atheists or agnostics) understand God because they do not believe or cannot commit to the idea of man knowing God"
    Had you read the entire link, you would have noted what I had outlined.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    I met Eddie Vedder.
    Eddie Vedder was nice to me when we met.
    I do not know Eddie Vedder.
    I do not claim to know Eddie Vedder.
    I don't know if Eddie Vedder is a nice person.
    All i know is that when I met Eddie Vedder... he was nice to me.
    Eddie is a man :?

I don't know him either
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Nope. Just saying that not all Agnostics fall under your general statement:
    "neither (atheists or agnostics) understand God because they do not believe or cannot commit to the idea of man knowing God"
    Had you read the entire link, you would have noted what I had outlined.
    I posted the link so others could read the types and see where they fit and I see you did :D

It seems my statement remains true to what i said....

agnostic theists ... who believe a God exists but do not claim to know that

that is the same as ... not committing to the idea of man knowing God
    as I originally said
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    no you were being disrespectful to those who believe Jesus is their savior true colors as you have been to me when putting me in a class with devout religious figures because you don't/ can't believe nor understand ... something you admit you must resort to this to get a point across... belittle others... put downs I think the petticoat may have been to belittle women or southern women too I guess :? nice cosmos you must be so proud of yourself true colors you show and nothing to be proud of.
    Actually... I believe it is YOU that are showing your true colors, here. The more you write, to more you reveal who you really are. And yes... I believe I have expressed my true colors to you and to the people on this board regarding my beliefs in God and where I am in the big scheme of things. You are the one that is trying to paint me in the colors of your choosing, not the colors that I actually am.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    i feel sadness for anyone who feels they need saving by the son of 'someone' who it cant be proven exists.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    no you were being disrespectful to those who believe Jesus is their savior true colors as you have been to me when putting me in a class with devout religious figures because you don't/ can't believe nor understand ... something you admit you must resort to this to get a point across... belittle others... put downs I think the petticoat may have been to belittle women or southern women too I guess :? nice cosmos you must be so proud of yourself true colors you show and nothing to be proud of.
    Actually... I believe it is YOU that are showing your true colors, here. The more you write, to more you reveal who you really are. And yes... I believe I have expressed my true colors to you and to the people on this board regarding my beliefs in God and where I am in the big scheme of things. You are the one that is trying to paint me in the colors of your choosing, not the colors that I actually am.
    deflecting from your words and actions again :? ...

terrible Jesus comment, a put down to Christians likening me to their beloved figures
    and degrading comment towards Southern women....
    to women in general

those are your true colors... you have painted yourself with these words
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    I posted the link so others could read the types and see where they fit and I see you did :D
    It seems my statement remains true to what i said....
    agnostic theists ... who believe a God exists but do not claim to know that that is the same as ... not committing to the idea of man knowing God as I originally said
    Nice try... but, you really need to watch your step while back peddling because you may trip yourself up.
    It is NOT the same because an agnostic is open to the idea of the existance of a God and will commit to the knowledge of God... once he/she discovers that God DOES truely exist.
    I say that, because that is where I am. I don't know God... but, if and when i find Him... I will know.
    Wanna take a Mulligan on that one?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    deflecting from your words and actions again :? ...

terrible Jesus comment, a put down to Christians likening me to their beloved figures
    and degrading comment towards Southern women....
    to women in general

those are your true colors... you have painted yourself with these words

as a woman i have to say i was not offended by cosmos comments re: petticoats.. nor do i feel degraded.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i feel sadness for anyone who feels they need saving by the son of 'someone' who it cant be proven exists.
    your words do not ring true...

If a believer came and said they feel sorry for you...
    well we know how that might go over

treat others the way you would like to be treated cate ...
    that is with respect for your beliefs

This discussion has been closed.