Options

Lightning Bolt turns 8 today

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    I was really glad when Lightning Bolt ⚡ won a Grammy for its packaging, and I'll be even happier when it's confirmed as having attained gold status by Soundscan! 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    I was really glad when Lightning Bolt ⚡ won a Grammy for its packaging, and I'll be even happier when it's confirmed as having attained gold status by Soundscan! 
    It's taking forever 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Yes sir, you're right. I have a theory about it though. I think PJ is waiting until Lightning Bolt attains gold, Binaural attains platinum, and Yield and No Code both attain double platinum status (as per Soundscan), at which time the band will submit all four albums for new certification status. Of course, I could be wrong. 
  • Options
    Last I checked or saw No Code was at 1.7 million, Yield 1.9, Binaural 700k-800, and Lightning Bolt was at 400k in 2014.
    Lightning Bolt probably could have had more but they didn't count streaming numbers until late 2014. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I think those numbers are about right buddy. According to wikipedia, No Code was at 1.7M in 2013, Yield was at 1.9M in 2008, Binaural was at 850K in 2013, and Lightning Bolt was at 411K in December 2014. 
  • Options
    What I wonder is how many PJ fans bought digital copies of those albums since 2013 or so. Many people who previously had those albums on CD and/or vinyl probably wanted to purchase digital copies more recently, which could substantially boost sales during the last eight years. Of course, the vinyl reissues had to help too. 
  • Options
    I'm going to buy vinyl copies of Yield and Binaural for my brother for Christmas. Every little bit helps! 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,795
    Nice gift. When I saw no code vanish from.the shop. I picked up avacado, riot act and binaural (for myself).
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    What I wonder is how many PJ fans bought digital copies of those albums since 2013 or so. Many people who previously had those albums on CD and/or vinyl probably wanted to purchase digital copies more recently, which could substantially boost sales during the last eight years. Of course, the vinyl reissues had to help too. 
    Vs and Vitalogy should be talked about the same way as Ten. That would help. Also it doesn't help that "fans" keep crapping on newer albums because it doesn't fit what they want instead of hearing how good these albums are. 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I agree with igotid88. I mean, Gigaton is a legitimately great album. Perhaps there just aren't nearly as many Ten Club members as there were 10 or 20 years ago. 
  • Options
    Sometimes I think that much of it is due to people not buying as many albums any more. However, then I see each Adele album go diamond in the United States, as well as every Eminem album (including recent ones) still going multi-platinum. That makes me wonder where the PJ fans have been "hiding." I'm not going anywhere -- I'll tell you that much. 
  • Options
    I'll never understand why some PJ fans will spend thousands of dollars to travel to see the band perform live, but many of those same people seem reluctant to spend $15 on a new album in any format. 
  • Options
    Maybe part of my problem is that I was 24 years old when PJ was at the pinnacle of their popularity in 1995, and sometimes I just need to remind myself that 26 years have transpired since then. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    Sometimes I think that much of it is due to people not buying as many albums any more. However, then I see each Adele album go diamond in the United States, as well as every Eminem album (including recent ones) still going multi-platinum. That makes me wonder where the PJ fans have been "hiding." I'm not going anywhere -- I'll tell you that much. 

I think there's a few things in that.  Albums going diamond is a lot rarer than used to be.   It takes someone with very widespread popularity to sell that many albums now.

Albums as a whole have been on the decline, but yes there are still some outliers.

If your a classic rock band and you put out a new album on most any week (save for when a superbig pop artist puts one out) you've probably got the #1 album with 100 or 200,000 copies sold.   That's a far cry from when Pearl Jam sold a million a week..

We're long past the album hey dey :(
  • Options
    Zod said:

I think there's a few things in that.  Albums going diamond is a lot rarer than used to be.   It takes someone with very widespread popularity to sell that many albums now.

Albums as a whole have been on the decline, but yes there are still some outliers.

If your a classic rock band and you put out a new album on most any week (save for when a superbig pop artist puts one out) you've probably got the #1 album with 100 or 200,000 copies sold.   That's a far cry from when Pearl Jam sold a million a week..

We're long past the album hey dey :(
    Lightning Bolt was number one with about 160k. Gigaton sold 63k it's first week.
    Mostly hip hop artists are selling the equivalent to 100-200k the first week mainly due to streaming. 90% of the sales are streaming and the rest is CD/vinyl/cassettes. Gigaton sold 57k actual albums the first week.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    It'd be cool to see PJ's next studio album released as a double-length album. Perhaps 24 songs, but not as long as the Lost Dogs compilation, which is 30 or more songs. As a double album, 50,000 actual units sold would count for 100,000 copies due to the length of the album. That was the situation with the Pumpkins' Mellon Collie release. It's easy for me to say though, because I don't have to make 24 new songs. 
  • Options
    I doubt Pearl Jam will ever do this. But Elton might have the number one album next week all because his duet with Dua Lipa already has 169 million plays at least on Spotify.  The only way Pearl Jam would increase streaming numbers 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

This is from last year's Spotify end of year total. Obviously there are other streaming platforms. But this was with a new album. Plus the bump Present Tense had with the Michael Jordan doc. I'm sure PJ Radio takes away and the people who don't want to stream. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I'd also love a double-length album just for the extra music. I mean, we got Riot Act in November 2002 followed by the double-length Lost Dogs compilation in November 2003. That's more than 40 songs in a 12-month period. Wow! 
  • Options
    I just bought another vinyl copy of No Code on the Barnes and Noble web site. They're out at our local physical locations, but Barnes and Noble has some remaining somewhere. 
  • Options

I miss igotid88