**The Official Please Play Alaska Thread**

Comments

• PKTrekGirl wrote:
    iOnlyownMymind,

Where do you live? Anchorage? Just curious...and also curious if there are other Alaskans on this board!

Shoot, you'd think Ed would want to go see the bus in Denali, if nothing else...and as long as they were here for that.....I bet they could easily sell out the PAC.

Anyway, Play Alaska!

Fairbanks. I don't think there are many others on here, I've run across two others but haven't seen them post anything in a long time. I was hoping this thread may pull a few from the woodwork.

I can't see Ed taking the time for a trip to the bus unless he's flown in there with a helicopter and I just don't see him doing that (however Sean Penn did fly in there with Jon Krakauer). I've been to it before, its by no means an easy hike, and dangerous depending on the river water levels.

That being said, they should still come play a show or two and I agree they would sell out any venue in Anchorage or Fairbanks and I think there would be a fair number of people who travel here for a show and vacation.
  • Fairbanks. I don't think there are many others on here, I've run across two others but haven't seen them post anything in a long time. I was hoping this thread may pull a few from the woodwork.

I can't see Ed taking the time for a trip to the bus unless he's flown in there with a helicopter and I just don't see him doing that (however Sean Penn did fly in there with Jon Krakauer). I've been to it before, its by no means an easy hike, and dangerous depending on the river water levels.

That being said, they should still come play a show or two and I agree they would sell out any venue in Anchorage or Fairbanks and I think there would be a fair number of people who travel here for a show and vacation.

Well, I would fully expect Ed to be flown to the bus by helicopter in summer. He sort of strikes me as the kind of guy who would prefer brown bears with cubs be kept at an extremely safe distance, if you know what I mean. ;) I would imagine someone in Talkeetna could make an easy trip of it. You can't land on the river with floats? I've not been out there....

Were you here in Alaska when they actually found that guy? I was...and at least down here in Anchorage, he was certainly not seen in the same way as the book/film portray it. As you might imagine, around these parts, the prevailing opinion, especially after it was discovered that he turned down multiple offers of help/gear, etc. was "Jeez, what a dumbshit." :lol:

But hey...the rest of the world loves the romanticized story...so I'll work with it, if it will help get PJ up here!

And no doubt, I'd drive up to Fairbanks for a show. And bring a friend or two with me for company! :mrgreen:
  • The main river, the Teklanika to get across by foot is a fast moving, glacier fed river that you definitely couldn't land a plane on.

I was not here when Mccandless died. However I agree, he was ill prepared. People make him out to be some kind of hero, but its really just his own stupidity that got him killed. That being said, there are a lot of stupid people that end up getting rescued trying to make it out there because they also show up unprepared and don't know when to turn back when conditions are unfavorable. Most people don't understand that any little decision you make in the wilderness is magnified when you're miles from any help and even more so when you're alone.

It is an interesting story, but the truth isn't all there particularly in the movie.

That being said, Play Alaska PJ. You don't even need to leave the road system!
  • they can play @ the Blue Loon here in Fairbanks..
    Vote for PJ to play in Alaska

11/91 chicago
    7/11/95 chicago
    6/29/98 chicago
    5/30/00 london UK
    6/4/00 manchester UK
    10/8/00 alpine valley
    10/9/00 chicago
    6/18/03 chicago

PLAY ALASKA U PUSSIES
  • Bump for playing Alaska
  • bump for 322 inches of snow so far this winter in Valdez and 43 below zero in Fairbanks. Give the hardy people of Alaska a show!
  • bcokerbcoker Posts: 7
    Probably haven't played there because of the small venues. Carlson Center in Fairbanks only holds 6,500 and the Sulliivan Arena in Anchorage seats less than 9,000.

For a tour to be finanically viable, arenas need to seat 12,000-20,000 people. They can squeeze a small venue in here or there in a tour that is hitting major cities along the way, but Alaska is pretty far out of the way to go and play a small show. Plus they would have to fly in all crew & equipment -- not cheap.
  • bcoker wrote:
    Probably haven't played there because of the small venues. Carlson Center in Fairbanks only holds 6,500 and the Sulliivan Arena in Anchorage seats less than 9,000.

For a tour to be finanically viable, arenas need to seat 12,000-20,000 people. They can squeeze a small venue in here or there in a tour that is hitting major cities along the way, but Alaska is pretty far out of the way to go and play a small show. Plus they would have to fly in all crew & equipment -- not cheap.

you can travel the road system through Canada, don't have to fly anything in. They could have easily done it on this past Canada tour. They could play a couple shows at either of those venues. At this stage in their careers, they all have their families set for life financially, they would not be taking any sort of hit. It would be nice to see something different, play some new places, instead of Boston 1 and 2, NY 1,2,3,4, etc.
  • bcokerbcoker Posts: 7
    The Canadian venues were mostly 19,000-22,000 seat arenas and even the smallest were at least 13,000.

There is one land route up there, but it's a long out of the way drive. Distances between Canadian venues from day-to-day were not as long as the trip north from Vancouver.

They could play multiple shows to make up the revenue. Simply a question of how much they would be willing to absorb in terms of cost to do it. Guess it's up to the fans in Alaska to convince them to do it. Hopefully, they'll do it.
  • bump for nearly a month straight of temps below zero fahrenheit in Fairbanks
  • Play Alaska PJ or ED!!
  • bump to the top because its a beautiful day with gorgeous view of the tallest point in North America.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    bump for 322 inches of snow so far this winter in Valdez and 43 below zero in Fairbanks.

a DAMN!?, bump
    aqo2t.jpg
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,493
    Snow is melting in Fairbanks bump. Spring is here! 43 degrees and the sun is shining bright! Just because there aren't a lot of Alaskans on the board doesn't mean there aren't fans in the state.
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    Well, as long as we are bumping for weather, bump for being 3 inches from the all-time snowfall record in Anchorage!

Breakup is making this a LAKE down here....but I want 3 more inches of snow. I mean, jeez...we've gone this far at 130 inches for the winter! What's 3 more, at this point?

Oh...and if a band like Creed can play the Alaska State Fair, PJ can play Alaska! :mrgreen:
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    Well, as long as we are bumping for weather, bump for being 3 inches from the all-time snowfall record in Anchorage!

Breakup is making this a LAKE down here....but I want 3 more inches of snow. I mean, jeez...we've gone this far at 130 inches for the winter! What's 3 more, at this point?

Oh...and if a band like Creed can play the Alaska State Fair, PJ can play Alaska! :mrgreen:
    PJ needs to play Alaska! ... and release it on a dvd as a documentary ... 8-)

I'd love to see them trucking around the state :D
    :wave: Hi Pearl Jam! Remember AK is a state too!
    Figure I'll bump this to be optimistic. Play somewhere new PJ!
  • big dipper ice creambig dipper ice cream malt-hop epicenter Posts: 2,516
    Gotta revive this thread. Travel to Alaska a few times a year and hope they play some shows in Juneau, Anchorage, Fairbanks sometime soon. Could be a western Canada-Alaska-PNW mini tour.

2024..........ANCHORAGE-FAIRBANKS-VANCOUVER-SEATTLE-PORTLAND-BOISE-SLC-MISSOULA

• We all know that's not going to happen but it sure would be awesome for an Alaska show. I'd also settle for an EV show which I really don't understand why it hasn't happened yet especially with ITW.
    time to revive this coma..........squeeze in some dates with the PNW next year.

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    I would love to visit Alaska and see PJ.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,060
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited June 2016
    Yeah play Alaska.
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
    anytime from April through September would be great. Have found some of the best camping spots in North America within short drive of Anchorage. Great hiking and solid breweries.

Anyone else want this to happen soon? Could make a great vacation.

• riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I'm from Alaska! Just moved away. Chili peppers played back to back nights in 2013. Loudest crowd I've ever been part of
    There is a 6600 seat sports venue and a smaller 3500 seat college venue. The new college venue has hosted a lot of big country artists this past year. Also motley crue played back to back nights there last sumner. Pj needs to do it. I'd fly home in a heat beat
    There may not be a huge ten club presence in AK, but I guarantee PJ could sell out 3 nights easy
    They should do a summer outdoor show at the Blue Loon in Fairbanks.