Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    Hope he doesn't get too blasted for it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,969
    I wonder how exciting today will be. Worried the Pens might make some bad moves, but holding hope if they do anything, it'll be worthwhile.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    norm said:

caught at the border with oxy's, eh?

Damn, couldn't get a prescription for it and he's a hockey player?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    $20 bucks says that Richards' first Oxy dealer was the team doctor. Also wondering if they were prescription and he was unaware of not being able to cross borders with it.
  • Options
    I also find it amusing that team doctors will prescribe Oxy (some of most dangerous addictive stuff on earth), but will fine / suspend someone if they smoke weed for chronic pain.

Today the most powerful female executive at Toyota stepped down because someone mailed her Oxy from America to Japan and customs found it.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    Kessel to the Pens, wow the Pens just became a legit threat for the cup
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Still looking for the details on the complete trade, but so far...looks like a fucking hell of a deal for the Pens.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Pens always pull shit out of their asses. Always find a way to get shit like this. I'm also hearing that they might have to part ways with Malkin. But I've been hearing that for a couple of years now.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,629
    Im not so sure thats a great move. Kind of a desperate one to try to strike while Malkin and Crosby hit the back 9.

Kessel completely quit last year and has shown some character issues. He is paid a ton for a long time. Pittsburgh has a lot of money wrapped up in a few core guys. As we have seen in the NHL, additions of scorers do not simply just add to the sum. Just ask the Rangers of 95-2005. Pittsburgh continues to raid their futures cabinet. Kapanen was possibly their top prospect at forward, and Harrington maybe 2nd best defenseman.

They had 1 pick (#46) in the 1st 4+ rounds this year in what was supposed to be an outstanding draft.
    Now they dont have a 1st next season. They gained a 2nd here, but lost a 3rd.

Organizational depth long-term is an issue with the Penguins. Their problems last season appeared a lot deeper than just adding Kessel.

But I dont know exactly what the answer is. Cant do a full rebuild while you have Crosby and Malkin there... I dont think. If they fall short this season they should really consider a (smart) firesale and load up for those top players.
  • Options
    Phil Kessel is a funny looking man

He looks like a 38 year old long haul trucker instead of a 27 year old star winger.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Im not so sure thats a great move. Kind of a desperate one to try to strike while Malkin and Crosby hit the back 9.

Kessel completely quit last year and has shown some character issues. He is paid a ton for a long time. Pittsburgh has a lot of money wrapped up in a few core guys. As we have seen in the NHL, additions of scorers do not simply just add to the sum. Just ask the Rangers of 95-2005. Pittsburgh continues to raid their futures cabinet. Kapanen was possibly their top prospect at forward, and Harrington maybe 2nd best defenseman.

They had 1 pick (#46) in the 1st 4+ rounds this year in what was supposed to be an outstanding draft.
    Now they dont have a 1st next season. They gained a 2nd here, but lost a 3rd.

Organizational depth long-term is an issue with the Penguins. Their problems last season appeared a lot deeper than just adding Kessel.

But I dont know exactly what the answer is. Cant do a full rebuild while you have Crosby and Malkin there... I dont think. If they fall short this season they should really consider a (smart) firesale and load up for those top players.

Agreed about future depth, I really don't like the fact that the Pens have sacrificed that for years. I think they do it because they have a "we must win right now" mentality, and that has not been working for us lately, but at the same time...damn if it isn't exciting! And with their lack of playoff success lately added to the fact that our core is aging (sports-wise), perhaps the Pens really do need to just go all in and blow it up next year if it doesn't work. If Perron can rebound the way Neal did after he first came to the Pens, our young D continues to play well (I can't really complain with what they accomplished last year down the stretch), and Fleury has another stellar year, I believe the Penguins can be dangerous come playoff time. That's assuming injuries don't decimate us, that the continuity of the coaching system proves beneficial, that some random role players play solidly, and that Kessel doesn't bring character issues (I keep hearing reports of Semin coming in too...).

Either way, today I'm excited.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887
    edited July 2015
    A big chunk of the Pens problems were created by Shero. They now have a 2nd and 2 3rds next year in the draft. From what I've read about Kessell, he is not comfortable being the face of a franchise, and no longer will be. We'll see what he does with Crosby and/or Malkin. And losing every year has to take a toll.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Sabres just signed Eichel... and reports say they are on the verge of re-signing Ryan OReilly for 7 years.
  • Options

From what I've read about Kessell, he is not comfortable being the face of a franchise, and no longer will be. We'll see what he does with Crosby and/or Malkin. And losing every year has to take a toll.

I'm almost positive Malkin is the same, which is why I laugh whenever I hear trade rumors about him. And these guys want to win, I'm sure of that. Could be a fun year.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,760
    edited July 2015
    After some big (to locals) trades, the Vancouver Canucks have also fired vice president and assistant general manager Laurence Gilman, assistant GM Lorne Henning, and director of player personnel Eric Crawford.

Holy fucking house cleaning. I hope it works. I have some amount of faith in Trevor Linden's brain left, so am cautiously optimistic.... kinda. :worried:

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,046
    The Pens aren't a Cup threat. They have absolutely no depth.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    Only 2 cities ended up bidding on the relocation of the Coyotes ... Vegas and Quebec.

Would Vegas be the worst place to own a team of 20 year old dudes with millions of dollars in their pockets? You would be lucky to get through a season without a third of the team being arrested.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    It is for expansion, not relocation.

Vegas will be an interesting petri dish. Hockey players (typically) aren't as prone to getting into as much trouble... However, the sport has been plagued with various gambling issues in recent years.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    MayDay10 said:

Vegas will be an interesting petri dish. Hockey players (typically) aren't as prone to getting into as much trouble... However, the sport has been plagued with various gambling issues in recent years.

I used to go below the stadium into the Forum Club when the Kings played there pre-Staples. It was where the visiting players would go after the games and pound beer and chase tail. Can you imagine visiting teams let loose on Vegas? If the home team could find any level of discipline it would have to be an amazing Regular Season home ice advantage. [Figure the guys could keep it together during the playoffs and be more focused....regular season? Not a frigging chance.]
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

oh, it is expansion! Makes perfect sense with the whole Phoenix situation! What the hell is Bettman thinking?

I hear that Atlanta is in need of a NHL team. For Quebec City, they should pray that Atlanta gets a team ... that seems the only avenue for Canadian cities to get NHL Franchise nowadays.
  • Options
    $1 Billion in expansion fees.

The Florida and Arizona situations will either resolve themselves... and if not, there are still Seattle, Toronto II, Milwaukee, KC, and Houston who would be possibilities.

Vegas and Quebec City are ready to go and have most of the boxes checked, including the big fat $500 Million check.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

$1 Billion in expansion fees.

The Florida and Arizona situations will either resolve themselves... and if not, there are still Seattle, Toronto II, Milwaukee, KC, and Houston who would be possibilities.

Vegas and Quebec City are ready to go and have most of the boxes checked, including the big fat $500 Million check.

Quebec City is fucked. Vegas money will win in the end.

Vegas should model their arena like the one in the movie Dodgeball
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    They're talking two expansion teams tho, right? The Quebec bid is coming from Quebecor - media giant (Canadian equivalent of Faux), so money is no issue....and the exposure would be big (like Canadian teams need to worry about that)....
    Maybe they'll give both cities (Quebec and LV) franchises, then move Florida to Markham (or another eastern spot), and Phoenix to Seattle? Would save them from needing any major realignment - the Count has said symmetry isn't a factor in deciding which cities get chosen....But it's also looking like neither Seattle nor Markham will have an arena ready for 17-18, when the expansion teams will begin playing. I've been following the shit show of getting one built in Edmonton, this is a long, long process....like a year or two of negotiations (unless either market are going 100% private - I think Markham already said no to a P3 arrangement), and another 2-3 for construction (even if fast-tracked).
    No potential owners in KC.....what did they build that arena for, again?
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    oh, and.....http://thehockeywriters.com/toronto-can-put-connor-mcdavid-in-a-leaf-uniform-in-3-years/

SOOOOO loving the butt-hurt of Laf fans. It's hilarious. Trolling all the Oiler fan sites and fb pages.....This article ^^^^ might be the dumbest thing I've read since browsing AMT yesterday.
    Lots of talk that Chiarelli is still going after a Dman. Most speculation focused on Seabrook and Franson.
  • Options
    Can't even begin on that one. The article even had various grammatical errors.

It is virtually impossible for a franchise player to get sniped as an rfa. They also can't front load contracts anymore as this guy suggests.
  • Options
    I wonder if Mike Babcock is already in "what the fuck did I do?" mode or if that will only kick in during the half-way point into next season?

Then again, if he is in "what the fuck did I do?" mode, he's thinking that while doing this ...

• Options
    The Leafs are eternally broken. Brendan Shanahan isnt going to fix it. Brian Burke seemed to be coming close, but he also made some mistakes and they pushed him out too soon.

Everyone up there, including MLSE is too impatient. They still think they are entitled to every player and still act like it is 1996 and you can build your team through free agency. I still cant believe that they were able to unload Clarkson.
    They also know they have a pretty captive fanbase and the money keeps rolling in.

We'll see how Babcock does without top notch player scouting and development. IMO NHL coaches are fairly plug-and-play and the players/athletes are #1,2, and 3 in importance. Babcock is a great coach and would probably be my 1st choice if I had a team looking at a window of cup contention... but he isn't going to be able to make this lineup competitive:
    Van Riemsdyk - Bozak - Lupul
    Komarov - Kadri - Parenteau
    Winnik - Holland - Arcobello
    Mathias - Spaling - Panik/Beck

Phaneuf - Rielly
    Gardiner - Hunwick
    Polak - Robidas

Bernier
    Reimer

I would say the best hope for the Leafs is if for some reason Stamkos gets to UFA and wants to take the risk and sign long term with the Leafs.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002

oh, and.....http://thehockeywriters.com/toronto-can-put-connor-mcdavid-in-a-leaf-uniform-in-3-years/

SOOOOO loving the butt-hurt of Laf fans. It's hilarious. Trolling all the Oiler fan sites and fb pages.....This article ^^^^ might be the dumbest thing I've read since browsing AMT yesterday.
    Lots of talk that Chiarelli is still going after a Dman. Most speculation focused on Seabrook and Franson.

You think that's funny, the laughs fans and media still think JT wants to come "home".

As far as expansion, I'm all for quebec city getting a team, they deserve one after what happened many years ago with the Canadian dollar tanking and all. Vegas worries me just for the simple fact it's gonna be like Phoenix in 10 years. If you build an arena in the actually city of Vegas and not the burbs it can prosper. The messed up part bout Quebec City franchise is they will probably play in the west to finally balance out the unevenness of the conferences. Oh and hopefully within the next ten years Seattle can build a new arena and get the Coyotes.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?