Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    anyone here subscribe to NHL Gamecenter?
    I am thinking of taking the plung as I can't stand the shitty free steams anymore
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    The problem is... if you're in your home market you'll get blacked out
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

The problem is... if you're in your home market you'll get blacked out

good point, should look into where my home market is. I presume Toronto? If so, that is a good thing
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    in Windsor and the home market is Toronto, so I can watch all the Wings game, which would be most of the reason to do it :)

Plus the 4 screens in one looks pretty cool
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Rangers at 22-1 are pretty good money. As funny as it looks, they have pretty much been great on the road and have played pretty well against the best from the west. Swept all 4 games on their last west coast trip. If they can get hank back and he can find his game quickly, anything can happen. Wouldn't be a horrible bet to lay a few hundred on them.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,819
    smarchee said:

anyone here subscribe to NHL Gamecenter?
    I am thinking of taking the plung as I can't stand the shitty free steams anymore

I have the tv package. Sucks living back east now for Kings games as I fall asleep before the end but I couldnt stomach not getting to watch some of the games. Stay up for the ones on the weekends. Home blackouts? Doesn't really mean anything if you have cable as the reason they black out is to force you to watch the local feed.

Course if you are watching on tablet/phone/laptop I guess home blackouts could be meaningful.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,819
    badbrains said:

Rangers at 22-1 are pretty good money. As funny as it looks, they have pretty much been great on the road and have played pretty well against the best from the west. Swept all 4 games on their last west coast trip. If they can get hank back and he can find his game quickly, anything can happen. Wouldn't be a horrible bet to lay a few hundred on them.

Rangers at 12 to 1 as of this AM...still not a bad bet. Personally I like the Habs more at that number. If they get some of their injured D back, or make a trade to solidify, I think they are going to be tough in the east.

Kings getting no respect. I do not think they are likely to go for 3 Cups out of 4 years this playoffs but I think they are clicking right now (7 wins in a row) and they are at 20 to 1. If I were in Vegas this weekend a would pop a few bills down on that to make it even more fun.

• Options
    That outdoor game was a bore. I did enjoy Fogarty and Etheredge though
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    MayDay10 said:

That outdoor game was a bore. I did enjoy Fogarty and Etheredge though

I enjoyed the game being that we needed the win, rivals, hoopla, etc....but those Kings unis were vomit inducing. Those are Chicago White Sox Shorts uniforms of the NHL when it comes to an all time unfortunate level. White pants? Omfg, those were horrid.
    Great win though and Fogerty was indeed cool.
  • Options
    yeah, the uniforms were both bad. But the whole atmosphere there was pretty tame it seemed, the "aesthetics" were awful.... wow! Levis Stadium that most people have seen maybe never, with a shark pond and a bunch of other odd crap. NBC Sports also did a crappy job covering it IMO like they do most things.

At least last year's game in Southern Cal was in Dodger Stadium which was cool.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,792
    MayDay10 said:

yeah, the uniforms were both bad. But the whole atmosphere there was pretty tame it seemed, the "aesthetics" were awful.... wow! Levis Stadium that most people have seen maybe never, with a shark pond and a bunch of other odd crap. NBC Sports also did a crappy job covering it IMO like they do most things.

Didn't see the game at all, but you really think NBC Sports does a bad job in general? I think their coverage of the NHL is very good. And their coverage of the EPL has been outstanding. Also- Sunday Night Football is probably the best sports broadcast out there.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,127
    Has anyone been to one of the outdoor games? Do you need 20/20 vision to see the puck?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Has anyone been to one of the outdoor games? Do you need 20/20 vision to see the puck?

Yeah, I was at Hawks-Penguins at Soldier Field last year. Couldn't see shit, but it was also snowing like crazy which didn't help things. I'm guessing there's a limited amount of seats at each stadium where you actually have a decent view and can see what's goign on.
  • Options
    Think Rick Nash should get some Hart Trophy consideration, no one expected him to come back to this level of goal scoring like what he did in Columbus and the Rangers really have needed that offensive push
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I was at the Buffalo one. You are certainly much further back... would probably bring binoculars next time, but you could definitely follow the play and see the puck. Being used to watching the sport from tight arenas though the distance is pretty obvious.
  • Options

Jason P said:

Yeah, I was at Hawks-Penguins at Soldier Field last year. Couldn't see shit, but it was also snowing like crazy which didn't help things. I'm guessing there's a limited amount of seats at each stadium where you actually have a decent view and can see what's goign on.
    That is what I thought ...

Now that the NHL has staged these games in NFL and MLB stadiums, isn't the natural evolution to try playing one of these in a NBA stadium?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

That is what I thought ...

Now that the NHL has staged these games in NFL and MLB stadiums, isn't the natural evolution to try playing one of these in a NBA stadium?
    :lol:
  • Options
    edited February 2015

MayDay10 said:

Didn't see the game at all, but you really think NBC Sports does a bad job in general? I think their coverage of the NHL is very good. And their coverage of the EPL has been outstanding. Also- Sunday Night Football is probably the best sports broadcast out there.
    I agree on SNF. Well done. Saw EPL this weekend and it looked solid.

They are awful, awful, awful for NHL The "panel" they have is a joke. Roenick, Milbury, and "say the most obvious/safe things cyclops" Keith Jones. Terrible. They never scratch the surface on anything. Its like hockey for invalids. I can go on, but Ill provide an example from this weekend.

They did the HDIA thing from Lake Placid. OK cool. Miracle On Ice 35th year anniversary. So the "features" I saw were an interview with Mike "Rice O Roni" which we have all seen him blubber about it 100 times (I think the guy is insufferable). I want to see others talk. They should have interviewed like 12 of those guys.
    Instead they asked Milbury's thoughts on the 80 team like 6 times that I saw. Really dont care what that asshole thinks of anything, let alone an olympic team he had nothing to do with 35 years ago.

Another "feature" was Jeremy Roenick, another clown who had nothing to do with it, hang out in the lockerroom and describe very basic things about the team we heard 1000 times... with the production of the moon landing.

You have the whole team there. Why not utilize that more? Have one of the actual players sit in the lockerroom and describe the ACTUAL experience. Do a history of the build-up of US vs Soviets. I want to hear from guys you dont normally hear from like Ramsey, Broten, Craig, Christian, OCallahan, etc... Those guys were all there for the 1st time since 1980 and they squandered it.

To me it just comes off as amateurish and lazy.

I am also not a fan of Doc Emmrich/Ed Olczyk as the announcers. Pierre McGuire is the worst. I did hear Chris Cuthbert for a game which is a huge imrpovement, but Im sure he will be relegated to a fill-in

edit: I see they did a brief segment interview with Christian and Craig. At least that is something, but again, questions just skim the surface.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

MayDay10 said:

They are awful, awful, awful for NHL The "panel" they have is a joke. Roenick, Milbury, and "say the most obvious/safe things cyclops" Keith Jones. Terrible. They never scratch the surface on anything. Its like hockey for invalids. I can go on, but Ill provide an example from this weekend.

They did the HDIA thing from Lake Placid. OK cool. Miracle On Ice 35th year anniversary. So the "features" I saw were an interview with Mike "Rice O Roni" which we have all seen him blubber about it 100 times (I think the guy is insufferable). I want to see others talk. They should have interviewed like 12 of those guys.
    Instead they asked Milbury's thoughts on the 80 team like 6 times that I saw. Really dont care what that asshole thinks of anything, let alone an olympic team he had nothing to do with 35 years ago.

Another "feature" was Jeremy Roenick, another clown who had nothing to do with it, hang out in the lockerroom and describe very basic things about the team we heard 1000 times... with the production of the moon landing.

You have the whole team there. Why not utilize that more? Have one of the actual players sit in the lockerroom and describe the ACTUAL experience. Do a history of the build-up of US vs Soviets. I want to hear from guys you dont normally hear from like Ramsey, Broten, Craig, Christian, OCallahan, etc... Those guys were all there for the 1st time since 1980 and they squandered it.

I am also not a fan of Doc Emmrich/Ed Olczyk as the announcers. Pierre McGuire is the worst. I did hear Chris Cuthbert for a game which is a huge imrpovement, but Im sure he will be relegated to a fill-in
    I only watch hockey on NBC if I have to. Much prefer the local broadcasts through the package.
  • Options
    I cant escape it. Like 20% of the Sabres schedule is on there. If I want to watch the games, I have to subscribe to a more advanced Directv Tier so I can even get that shitty channel. 6 more years of this.
  • Options
    I like the NBC team (which is basically the Versus team). I do prefer the homer broadcast team of the Red Wings, but I like Doc's passion.

Roenick is the NHL version of Michael Irvin.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

MayDay10 said:

edit: I see they did a brief segment interview with Christian and Craig. At least that is something, but again, questions just skim the surface.
    Yeah, the studio stuff is all pretty rough on NBC. I guess I was just thinking about the actual game presentation....the HD quality on NBC seems better than on other stations. I love listening to Doc announce games.....I get more than enough of Olczyk on the local Blackhawks broadcasts.
  • Options
  • Options
    Columbus did the Leafs a massive favour
    Leafs are no doubt betting that Horton never plays again, is on long term injury reserve for the rest of his career or retires and never have to pay him.
    Stay classy Leafs
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Kings got robbed of a goal last night (ref lost sight of puck and blew the play dead, just bad luck as the other side of the ice could clearly see the puck pop out before Willie buried it) but otherwise couldn't put a dent in the rook that the Sens have on fire right now. b2b shutouts is pretty nice!

Couldn't tie the club record of 9 wins in a row and tonight we get the Duckies. Need this win, too often LA follows a great streak with a shit streak. Quickie has been on fire but you have to think Jones gets the start tonight.

I love this time of year
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146

Kings got robbed of a goal last night (ref lost sight of puck and blew the play dead, just bad luck as the other side of the ice could clearly see the puck pop out before Willie buried it) but otherwise couldn't put a dent in the rook that the Sens have on fire right now. b2b shutouts is pretty nice!

Couldn't tie the club record of 9 wins in a row and tonight we get the Duckies. Need this win, too often LA follows a great streak with a shit streak. Quickie has been on fire but you have to think Jones gets the start tonight.

I love this time of year

• Options
    Isles & Habs gearing it up.
    I really like what the Habs are doing.
    Is it going to be the first year since, holy crap, 1993 that the cup will be raised by a Canadian team?
    Who would have ever thought then that it would be more than 20 years and during that time teams from places like Charlotte, Anaheim, Dallas, Tampa, Newark (x3), LA (x2), and Denver (x2) would raise the cup before a Canadian team would again?
    Once the Kings are out I am rooting for Montreal.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146

Isles & Habs gearing it up.
    I really like what the Habs are doing.
    Is it going to be the first year since, holy crap, 1993 that the cup will be raised by a Canadian team?
    Who would have ever thought then that it would be more than 20 years and during that time teams from places like Charlotte, Anaheim, Dallas, Tampa, Newark (x3), LA (x2), and Denver (x2) would raise the cup before a Canadian team would again?
    Once the Kings are out I am rooting for Montreal.

no self-respecting kings fan should ever root for that team

and what's this "once the kings are out" nonsense? keep it together, man! ;) lol
  • Options
    Yeah well I'll be rooting against the Hans next game! Kings look good so far tonight. The rangers are looking good too. Repeat of last years cup final anyone? :lightbulb:
  • Options
    Not sure how I feel about the Blackhawks chances right now. Kane wouldn't be able to come back until the Conf Finals it sounds like....hard to see them winning 2 playoff series without him. But this team is deep and has been there plenty of times....not afraid of the Blues or Preds.

I liked the moves Bowman made before the deadline. The prices were high, but great to add Timonen and Vermette for the stretch run here. Can't wait for playoff hockey.