2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• The economics will go out of whack once again -- probably pretty soon. People cannot help themselves.
    The Nords being revived would be cool.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    The economics wont/shouldn't get out of whack. Salaries are tied to revenue, which is shared more evenly than before. They just got a $5 Billion dollar TV deal with Rogers, as well as like 9 outdoor games that were all successful. The split between players/owners is closer to 50/50 now. The NHLPA/NHL may squabble over how the pie is distributed next CBA expiration, but overall the league is pretty healthy.
    The thing that would hurt the NHL would be if/when the Canadian dollar dips. Especially if Quebec is let back in.
    I do think they need to bail on Miami, and also bail on Arizona/Phoenix if the new ownership cant right the ship.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I lived in Seattle for five years. The total number of times that the subject of hockey come up in casual conversation .... zero.
  • Seattle shits in their collective pants for mid level soccer, I would think they would be stoked for top level hockey. Give them something else to be loud and proud about.
    I believe Seattle will/would make a great NHL market. Especially if the NHL beats out the NBA's return there. It seems like it fits in very well with the culture in the Pacific NW.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Seattle GreenHorns
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Many people dont realize Seattle Metropolitans were the first American Team to win The Stanley Cup. Perhaps they will resurrect that name.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life

Many people dont realize Seattle Metropolitans were the first American Team to win The Stanley Cup. Perhaps they will resurrect that name.

I did not know that Andrew. Guess greenhorns is out hahahaha. Seattle Metro.
    Or

And that the Minnesota Wild bogarted their team colors ...

The new taxpayer funded Red Wings stadium is basically having a neighborhood built around it at the same time to help keep the riff-raff out. The Illitch family is basically transforming into OCP and building New Detroit.

I guess it will beat having to leave a game at night and then doing a series of shoulder-rolls back to my hotel room to avoid being potentially stabbed.
  • lol, OCP
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    The same shit they are saying about this new Detroit stadium reviving Detroit was the same shit they said when Ford Field and Comerica Park was constructed and Detroit is now going through bankruptcy ... and on the Detroit news today they covered how the retirees must take a cut in their pensions, no money for pot hole repair and they are turning the water off on poor people who don't have 2 nickels to rub together ... yet they have millions to fund a stadium so millionaires have a nice place to be coddled. Something is seriously wrong.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 said:

The same shit they are saying about this new Detroit stadium reviving Detroit was the same shit they said when Ford Field and Comerica Park was constructed and Detroit is now going through bankruptcy ... and on the Detroit news today they covered how the retirees must take a cut in their pensions, no money for pot hole repair and they are turning the water off on poor people who don't have 2 nickels to rub together ... yet they have millions to fund a stadium so millionaires have a nice place to be coddled. Something is seriously wrong.

What's even worse is that Illitch keeps all revenue streams, where at The Joe the city took a 5% to 10% cut on things like food, ticket sales and team gear. Mike Illitch has a net worth of $3.6 billion dollars. The city of Detroit has a net worth of $0.0 dollars.

Plus I read that the city sold Illitch the 27 parcels of land to build this project on for one dollar. Is Kwame back in town?
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    MayDay10 said:

I believe Seattle will/would make a great NHL market. Especially if the NHL beats out the NBA's return there. It seems like it fits in very well with the culture in the Pacific NW.

Seattle would be a mid level team in the NHL. the hope would be that people from the west coast of Canada would go there. to be honest, the NHL would not go there as an expansion team. they will get a team when a team decides to sell.

Quebec will be a expansion team cause the money the NHL would get for those rights would be alot.

of course I am actually against any new teams. I believe some teams should be gone.
    fife said:

MayDay10 said:

Seattle would be a mid level team in the NHL. the hope would be that people from the west coast of Canada would go there. to be honest, the NHL would not go there as an expansion team. they will get a team when a team decides to sell.

Quebec will be a expansion team cause the money the NHL would get for those rights would be alot.

of course I am actually against any new teams. I believe some teams should be gone.
    I volunteer the devils. Best team in the north east for decades and can't fucken get a crowd. Take the winning tradition and go out north west. The Seattle green horns is my pick for a name. Fitting. And I'm a huge rangers fan who loves the rivalry with the devils but with the islanders moving to Brooklyn, that rivalry is gonna hear up. Plus we got the flyers too so we're all good on rivalries.
    I am against relocation. I almost lost the Sabres and it fucking sucked and was unfair. And I have now been faced with the possibility of the Bills leaving. Leagues put teams in places, people attach to a team, then rip them away...

If I had to choose one though it would be Florida. Nobody cares. Like 200 people watch games on TV. Going to Sabres vs Florida games is a drag because there is zero history and sitting there you know there is almost no people at all on the other end of the game who care at all. Games with Florida always seem dull.
    MayDay10 said:

I am against relocation. I almost lost the Sabres and it fucking sucked and was unfair. And I have now been faced with the possibility of the Bills leaving. Leagues put teams in places, people attach to a team, then rip them away...

If I had to choose one though it would be Florida. Nobody cares. Like 200 people watch games on TV. Going to Sabres vs Florida games is a drag because there is zero history and sitting there you know there is almost no people at all on the other end of the game who care at all. Games with Florida always seem dull.

Yeah, it sucks being in fear of losing a team you have supported all your life. If it wasn't for Peyton Manning ... and hundreds of millons of taxpayer dollars ... the Colts would be playing in LA right now.

I can only imagine what fans in Baltimore felt (and Cleveland also ). ;)
    I have lived with that most of my life. The Sabres were finally secured long-term, probably forever in 2011 with our new owner who is mega rich, is a fan, and has heirs who are into it.

I have been living with the probability of the Bills leaving since 1999 and our geriatric owner and the bloated economics of the NFL.

Awesomely, it looks like of the known candidates, said Sabres owner is the favorite to purchase the Bills.

I cant even imagine going to or watching games where that black cloud doesnt exist.
    MayDay10 said:

I have lived with that most of my life. The Sabres were finally secured long-term, probably forever in 2011 with our new owner who is mega rich, is a fan, and has heirs who are into it.

I have been living with the probability of the Bills leaving since 1999 and our geriatric owner and the bloated economics of the NFL.

Awesomely, it looks like of the known candidates, said Sabres owner is the favorite to purchase the Bills.

I cant even imagine going to or watching games where that black cloud doesnt exist.

Speaking of the Bills, has there ever been a more ironic name for a team? They named the team after someone who was almost single handly led to the extinction of the buffalo.
    MayDay10 said:

I am not against relocation but that might be because my Flyers have never been a team who was threaten with relocating. to be honest, Florida does have new ownership and i think they may stay around a while. the team that should be gone is the Coyotes. they are the biggest joke I have ever seen.
    badbrains said:

fife said:

MayDay10 said:

I volunteer the devils. Best team in the north east for decades and can't fucken get a crowd. Take the winning tradition and go out north west. The Seattle green horns is my pick for a name. Fitting. And I'm a huge rangers fan who loves the rivalry with the devils but with the islanders moving to Brooklyn, that rivalry is gonna hear up. Plus we got the flyers too so we're all good on rivalries.
    do you really think the islander/rangers rivalries will heat up? I think the flyers/rangers is one of the best in the nhl. of course the Flyers have like 3 rivals. Rangers, bruins and the Pen.

as for the Devils being moved, i don't see that happening with all the history there. of course you can say the same thing about the islanders.
    The devils at one time we're being run by the league itself. Not even that long ago. They've been having problems with that team and city forever it seems like. Lots of history but teams with history move all the time. With the flyers, rangers, islanders, bruins and pens in this area with the addition of the caps, the north east is pretty set for rivalries. Who knows, maybe it will be Florida or the coyotes.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Jason P said:

lukin2006 said:

What's even worse is that Illitch keeps all revenue streams, where at The Joe the city took a 5% to 10% cut on things like food, ticket sales and team gear. Mike Illitch has a net worth of $3.6 billion dollars. The city of Detroit has a net worth of $0.0 dollars.

Plus I read that the city sold Illitch the 27 parcels of land to build this project on for one dollar. Is Kwame back in town?
    I think it's a shame and pitiful what's going on ... but that's how it usually works. the rich dude gets all the breaks and the pensioners and poor people...well you know.

The sad part is from a fan perspective the joe is a pretty nice place to watch a game ... great views just about anywhere ... doubt they achieve the same in a new arena.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,989
    I just learned that Canucks say "zed" for Z...where's the mind-blown emoticon?
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023; MSG 1 2024
  • It is french, like so many of our friendly neighbors to the north.
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    edited July 2014
    "Hamilton man takes parting shot at Maple Leafs in last line of obituary"
    thescore.com/nhl/news/543237

:))
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    MayDay10 said:

There could be a great natural rivalry between Seattle and Vancouver too, kind of like Calgary/Edmonton and Toronto/Montreal. At least I would hope so, because that would be fun. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,122
    edited July 2014
    Good to see Dustin Brown's FedEx guy has a sense of humor....this was linked through SI.com
    Brown's response on Twit-tard:
    To the @FedEx guy who delivered this package I love the passion but this ain’t ‘94.

• a5pja5pj Posts: 3,881
    drivingrl said:

"Hamilton man takes parting shot at Maple Leafs in last line of obituary"
    thescore.com/nhl/news/543237

:))

A memorable way to go. Sad and funny at the same time.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

Habs low balling subban. He's asking for 8.5/year and they're offering 5.5/year. Gonna be interesting. Is he worth 8.5, prob not, but someone will pay for him. Shit, Sather prob give him 9/year if he was on market lol