lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    4 more outdoor games for 2014

pens/hawks at soldier field
    ducks/kings at dodger stadium
    rangers/devils at yankee stadium
    rangers/islanders at yankee stadium

heritage classic senatars/canucks at bc place

Just over doing ... No one outside these cities will care much.

Completely agree. The appeal of outdoor hockey is playing it...not watching it. I know the NHL thinks they have a cash cow here (and maybe they do; I haven't seen any numbers), but from a fan's perspective, the sight lines suck and I hate seeing points in the standings risked on a questionable sheet of ice. It's really not that great of a concept when you boil it down.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    4 more outdoor games for 2014

pens/hawks at soldier field
    ducks/kings at dodger stadium
    rangers/devils at yankee stadium
    rangers/islanders at yankee stadium

heritage classic senatars/canucks at bc place

Just over doing ... No one outside these cities will care much.

i don't agree with that. I can see the pens/hawks game be very good if they meet in the finals this year which i hope they don't.

I just don't understand having a game in LA?
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    good to see the penguins get some practice in before the second round :lol:
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    rival. wrote:

Yeah, they should just hold out Crosby until the 2nd round at this point.
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    rival. wrote:
    no shit, it was like warm ups
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Hopefully Neal is not injured, same with Jokenin.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    rival. wrote:

Yeah, they should just hold out Crosby until the 2nd round at this point.

no no ... need him for my pools ... :lol:
    vant0037 wrote:
    Completely agree. The appeal of outdoor hockey is playing it...not watching it. I know the NHL thinks they have a cash cow here (and maybe they do; I haven't seen any numbers), but from a fan's perspective, the sight lines suck and I hate seeing points in the standings risked on a questionable sheet of ice. It's really not that great of a concept when you boil it down.

i kinda agree and disagree ...

i think the Winter Classic is great ... it's a showcase event much like an all-star game but it's ties to old rivalries and the alumni game make it a festival of sorts ... i think they've totally diluted it tho with the addition of these games and it's clearly a cash grab which it totally is ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:

i kinda agree and disagree ...

i think the Winter Classic is great ... it's a showcase event much like an all-star game but it's ties to old rivalries and the alumni game make it a festival of sorts ... i think they've totally diluted it tho with the addition of these games and it's clearly a cash grab which it totally is ...

I have no problem with the winter classic ... I'd also like to see a regular heritage classic on hockey day in canada ... looking forward to the first outdoor game in Winnipeg :lol:. But to have 4-5 games a year is overdoing it ... but you know the NHL has there eye on a game in cowboys stadium in the near future.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    they might as well expand the outdoor games.
    The Television uniqueness has died down like 3 Winter Classics ago. While the EDM/MON, BUF/PIT, CHI/DET, BOS/PHI were must watches where a group of friends would get together... I dont think I have watched any since then.

They have also mastered the art of the ice making preparation and maintenance.

They want to keep pushing Pittsburgh, Chicago, NYR, Boston, Philly, etc in the game... and they also want to do some southern ones. One a year will limit what they can push... and also other teams would (are) get pissed off.

Might as well make spread it out, make it more of a Regional thing. Allow Canadian teams to hold them. Buffalo again, Minnesota, Columbus, etc... The attendance and demand for tickets and extra merchandise alone is a boon. Also, a casual observer flipping around the dial catches Pitts/Chicago at Soldier field randomly, they might stick. More games creates more airtime to "catch" people.

I know it is the only way I will ever see one in Buffalo again.
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    norm wrote:

Concussion with loss of consciousness, broken nose, broken teeth. I think he's out for the rest of the playoffs.
    Damn that's scary to watch!
    Should be no disciplinary hearing on that hit on the Montreal player, 3 problems on that play, the suicide pass from Diaz, Eller was paying attention in avery dangerous area of the ice, and when the the NHL going to stop allowing these players the wear what is essentially body armour which is a contributing factor to these type of injuries.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Should be no disciplinary hearing on that hit on the Montreal player, 3 problems on that play, the suicide pass from Diaz, Eller was paying attention in avery dangerous area of the ice, and when the the NHL going to stop allowing these players the wear what is essentially body armour which is a contributing factor to these type of injuries.
    Completely agree.Suicide pass will get you every time.
    On a side note,the Wings escaped last night after blowing two three goal leads.
    Won't go far if that keeps happening.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,685
    lukin2006 wrote:

Yep no suspension should happen, that was a clean hit IMO....its called keep your head up. What does Cherry call it? Keep you head up when your in the trolley tracks :)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    thank god the redwings go to the east next year ... effing OT games on a thursday on the whest coast ... can hardly speel and tipe ths mourninjg.

need caffine

:fp:
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    BLACK35 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Yep no suspension should happen, that was a clean hit IMO....its called keep your head up. What does Cherry call it? Keep you head up when your in the trolley tracks :)

+1 clean hit bad result. Refs did what they had to do to keep order.

Damnit Wings that WAS TOO CLOSE!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    It did look like the Sen targeted his head with his shoulder. I watched that 3 min video the NHL put out for the playoffs. They should be ashamed of themselves for putting in the viscous hits that injured players by the likes Scott Stevens. How many careers did this guy end by taking a run at a player that was already covered and then target his head with a blindside hit? The NHL shouldn't be glorifying a hit that today would be 10+ game suspensions. There are plenty of good, clean, non-injury causing hits that could've been in that video.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Hit was clean.

A bit predatory though which is how the NHL will justify the suspension.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    It looked bad in real time. Not so bad in slo mo.

There should not have been a penalty called IMO.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    edited May 2013
    Jason P wrote:
    It looked bad in real time. Not so bad in slo mo.

There should not have been a penalty called IMO.
    Agreed... He's taller... Start banning midgets or giants if you don't want that to happen.
    Raphael Diaz, his teamate, should have gotten a gamer for that deadly pass... What a moron.
    Post edited by Black Diamond on
    GoiMTvP.gif
    RoughMix wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

They might be in trouble Dekeyser's gone for the playoffs (broken thumb), and isn't that when the ducks started their comeback. He's an impressive young defenseman.

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    the only disciplinary action taken should be the canadians on diaz for putting his teammate in that situation.

side note, montreal has always had the coolest red lights. the new ones they put in this season (or maybe it was last?) are badass. is there a back story to them? they are the only team in the league that has those type of lights.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    edited May 2013
    JK_Livin wrote:
    It did look like the Sen targeted his head with his shoulder. I watched that 3 min video the NHL put out for the playoffs. They should be ashamed of themselves for putting in the viscous hits that injured players by the likes Scott Stevens. How many careers did this guy end by taking a run at a player that was already covered and then target his head with a blindside hit? The NHL shouldn't be glorifying a hit that today would be 10+ game suspensions. There are plenty of good, clean, non-injury causing hits that could've been in that video.
    The argument is that looks like the first point of contact is shoulder to head, then the rest of the body. Intent to injure, no. He's their 7th defenseman, so it isn't like it will make a difference if he's in the lineup or not. Diaz should have been more aware for sure.

Someone better have a talk with the players about shot-aim or it will be a pretty short series...
    Post edited by Rygar on
    Crosby will play tonight...

lukin2006 wrote:
    RoughMix wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

They might be in trouble Dekeyser's gone for the playoffs (broken thumb), and isn't that when the ducks started their comeback. He's an impressive young defenseman.
    Very impressive.
    All year long with this team.One injury after another.
    He will be missed no doubt.But there is some depth at defense.
    lukin2006 wrote:

yesssssss!
    lukin2006 wrote:

He's going to fuck up the chemistry. :)
    RoughMix wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

He's going to fuck up the chemistry. :)

I think Pittsburgh will take a chance...