2024-2025 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Erik Cole to Dallas for Ryder and a pick....
    UGH. :fp:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Sabres won. That's strange.

Im pretty sure they were telling us that was impossible without Lindy Ruff
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Rygar wrote:

That's a good trade ... Ryder's having a better year than Cole, after this year Cole still has 2 years left under contract and the cap drops next year. This allows Montreal to negotiate a cap friendly contract with Ryder after this season or have that money available for someone else. I believe Getzlaf and Perry are FA's. And the biggest pickup of all is the 3rd round pick in a deep draft.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Jason P wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I think you'll always have some teams that get to travel more ... Edmonton travels a lot as well, I always wondered why the NHL hasn't embraced the idea playing back to back games in the same city to help reduce travel cost ... I see no disadvantage to this as long as both teams have to.
    That notion seems to be working for baseball all right.

Plus, if there was a lot of aggression in a game like last night's Preds / Stars, everyone would be looking forward to the rematch tonight with tensions still high.

It does work well in baseball ... I think it can work well in the NHL. I believe Detroit plays back 2 back games in Anaheim in March.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

polaris_x wrote:
    so ... what's the consensus!? ... absolutely zero impact from the lockout? ... ratings are high, attendance is high, merch sales are high!?? ... :lol:

Are those figures based on the league as a whole. Because I think most people expected things to be normal in the original 6 cities and Canadian cities ... but what are things like in the weaker markets, better, same or worse.

Now I see a few of the Detroit games on TV ... I know they announce every game as sold out ... but most games the lower bowl has a lot of empty seats ... thats a lot of over priced beer and food not being sold, merchandise etc...and the empty seats seem a little more plentiful this year ... so the bottom line is suffering.

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Are those figures based on the league as a whole. Because I think most people expected things to be normal in the original 6 cities and Canadian cities ... but what are things like in the weaker markets, better, same or worse.

Now I see a few of the Detroit games on TV ... I know they announce every game as sold out ... but most games the lower bowl has a lot of empty seats ... thats a lot of over priced beer and food not being sold, merchandise etc...and the empty seats seem a little more plentiful this year ... so the bottom line is suffering.

honestly, i haven't read too much into it ... i just heard it on tsn or something ... was just wondering how everyone else saw it ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

honestly, i haven't read too much into it ... i just heard it on tsn or something ... was just wondering how everyone else saw it ...

I surprisingly watch a little on TV ... maybe my interest is peaked a little more because 6 Canadian teams could make the playoffs ... realistically 4 ... and the possibility of Montreal and Toronto maybe meeting in the playoffs for the first time since '78-'79 ... now that would be awesome.

lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    so ... what's the consensus!? ... absolutely zero impact from the lockout? ... ratings are high, attendance is high, merch sales are high!?? ... :lol:

there is a lot of fluff though too.

Like in Buffalo the week right before the season they sold over $2 Million in merchandise. However everything was 50% off.

And they sold tickets in a pre-sale to season ticket holders at the season ticket holder price (which is like not even 1/2 of box office price). Those were gobbled up in record numbers/time because people flip them on stubhub. Even if they sell for less than box office price, still a profit. But they still announce them as sellouts.... and the team makes less money on the tickets.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    MayDay10 wrote:
    there is a lot of fluff though too.

Like in Buffalo the week right before the season they sold over $2 Million in merchandise. However everything was 50% off.

And they sold tickets in a pre-sale to season ticket holders at the season ticket holder price (which is like not even 1/2 of box office price). Those were gobbled up in record numbers/time because people flip them on stubhub. Even if they sell for less than box office price, still a profit. But they still announce them as sellouts.... and the team makes less money on the tickets.

yeah ... probably NHL PR spin ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The empty seats at The Joe are because everyone is waiting to use one of the three toilets in the facility.

:fp:

I suppose most of those seats are owned by GM and Ford.
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

That's a good trade ... Ryder's having a better year than Cole, after this year Cole still has 2 years left under contract and the cap drops next year. This allows Montreal to negotiate a cap friendly contract with Ryder after this season or have that money available for someone else. I believe Getzlaf and Perry are FA's. And the biggest pickup of all is the 3rd round pick in a deep draft.

We'd better make good on that 3rd round pick, because fans here are pissed that Ryder is gone. Not going to lie, I'm disappointed, too.

I do recognize, though, that this is a transition/re-alignment year, and that's never easy on fans.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Jason P wrote:
    The empty seats at The Joe are because everyone is waiting to use one of the three toilets in the facility.

Back in 2008 when Dallas beat Detroit at the AAC during the the West Conf playoffs, a very drunk Stars fan yelled, "Did we play the Redwings or General Motors?!"

I ran away from his general vicinity so quickly. There were so many beers and hot dogs being thrown in his general direction. :lol:
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
    drivingrl wrote:
    I ran away from his general vicinity so quickly. There were so many beers and hot dogs being thrown in his general direction. :lol:
    Another exciting game for the Stars last night ... although this one turned out better for you. :)
    drivingrl wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

We'd better make good on that 3rd round pick, because fans here are pissed that Ryder is gone. Not going to lie, I'm disappointed, too.

I do recognize, though, that this is a transition/re-alignment year, and that's never easy on fans.

Dallas sent Montreal Ryder and a 3rd round pick for Cole. Like I said good trade for Montreal. Dallas get a guy with 6 points and 2 years left on his contract.

drivingrl wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Back in 2008 when Dallas beat Detroit at the AAC during the the West Conf playoffs, a very drunk Stars fan yelled, "Did we play the Redwings or General Motors?!"

Went to concert at the Joe in the fall ... they have added washrooms ... those are empty ... I do realize they're corporate seats, you'd think the corporations could give the seats away if their not using them.

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    lukin2006 wrote:
    drivingrl wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Dallas sent Montreal Ryder and a 3rd round pick for Cole. Like I said good trade for Montreal. Dallas get a guy with 6 points and 2 years left on his contract.
    Having had him here before, I don't want him back. Hopefully I'm eating my words sooner rather than later, but will wait till it happens. Besides, he'll probably go to arbitration after this contract anyway ;)
    Maybe the pick will be good for us, who knows.
  • The Jets are on a roll!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    164408_10200593143529403_645048125_n.jpg
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Rygar wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    drivingrl wrote:

Having had him here before, I don't want him back. Hopefully I'm eating my words sooner rather than later, but will wait till it happens. Besides, he'll probably go to arbitration after this contract anyway ;)
    Maybe the pick will be good for us, who knows.

I hear what your saying ... I think this trade was more about shedding salary for next year and the 3rd round pick.

What was Dallas thinking?

• peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Good to see the dude from my hometown Davis Drewiske getting some action this year
    NHLPA approves realignment

http://www.thescore.com/home/articles/5 ... ealignment

NEW YORK (AP) The NHL moved a step closer to realignment Thursday as the players' association approved a proposed plan that is set to go into effect next season.
    Now that the league has gotten the go-ahead from union chief Donald Fehr, the NHL will only need to get approval from team owners to put it in place.
    ``The NHL Players' Association confirmed to us today that it has consented to a revised plan for realignment, effective for the 2013-14 season,'' NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement. ``Our next step will be to bring the proposed plan for realignment to the NHL board of governors for its consideration.''
    Fehr signed off on the plan after discussions with the union's executive board and said the realignment issue will be ``re-evaluated following the 2014-15 season.''
    No official details of the changes have been released by the NHL, but it is widely believed that teams such as Detroit and Columbus will be put into more travel-friendly divisions in the Eastern time zone, and the Winnipeg Jets - formerly the Atlanta Thrashers - will leave the Southeast Division for a spot in the Western Conference.
    ``It's awesome,'' Detroit Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard said. ``These West Coast swings, not only do they take a lot out on us and you guys, but also out on our fans, having to stay up and watch us late at night. To be able to play a lot more in the Eastern time zone is going to be very beneficial.''
    Up until now, there has been an even split of teams with 15 in each conference. Under the new plan, the East will have 16 clubs in it - making playoff qualification a bit tougher.
    The two divisions out West will contain seven teams each. The East divisions will both contain eight.
    Each conference will still have eight teams in the playoffs but the setup will be slightly different.
    Instead of the current system, under which the top eight teams in each conference make the playoffs, the new plan will award spots to the top three teams in each division along with the next two teams with the best records as wild cards.
    The new Atlantic Division in the East will be comprised of Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, New York's Rangers and Islanders, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Washington. The Central Division will contain Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto.
    ``It will definitely be a change,'' Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader said. ``The benefit will be less travel. The disadvantage is 16 teams in the East - so harder for a playoff spot. It's one of those things that you kind of take the pros and the cons, and it's part of the deal.
    ``It's something that'll be different, so we'll give it a couple years and see how it goes.''
    Out West, the new Midwest Division will feature Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg. The Pacific Division will be made up of Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose and Vancouver.

Attention Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto ... you just made the list!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnwr5M4KQv-hajCLSLmruDGolUymLQEj_-IKeG5b-ftUD0f8ldag

Go Wings!
    Jason P wrote:
    Attention Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto ... you just made the list!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnwr5M4KQv-hajCLSLmruDGolUymLQEj_-IKeG5b-ftUD0f8ldag

Go Wings!

Based on this season that might be the toughest division in hockey ... with the exception of Buffalo and Florida. I like it. 4 of the original 6 in 1 division ... like that. Toronto and Detroit can continue their rivalry.

The western owners will probably be unhappy ... now its up to the owners to approve it and they probably will.

Unfortunately now the conferences are no longer balanced ... this means possible expansion, which I hope not, the league is a little watered down right now. The only change I would make is to move Columbus to the midwest. So I figure expansion could be in the works.

Thats a bad-ass Division. Like the son of the Adams and Norris Divisions. Itll be even better when Florida moves to Quebec City. I bet they would slide Tampa Bay to the NYC/PHI Division, and Columbus to the Adams/Norris if that happened.

Would it kill them to drop the Geographical Division names? Central Division? Boston? Montreal? Miami? Tampa? People know where major cities are located. Dont need Divisions to markate them, especially when they are incorrect/misleading. Would love:
    Atlantic: Howe
    Central: Orr
    Mid Western: Hull
    Pacific: Gretzky

looking forward to final word on schedule grid and playoff format. The other proposal made it possible for teams from the same time zone to play for the Stanley Cup.
    I agree on renaming the division after hockey royalty.

But as a Colts fan I'm used to shit not making any sense as they play in the AFC South :fp:
    Jason P wrote:
    I agree on renaming the division after hockey royalty.

But as a Colts fan I'm used to shit not making any sense as they play in the AFC South :fp:

At least if you have Conferences it makes sence because you prefix it with Conference to markate and that has a purpose.

But now that there are basically 4 stand-alone Divisions, they need to get unique/creative. Hockey fans will love it, non fans wont really be confused by it.
    You have to name one of the division after Jean Beliveau ... I'd drop Hull.

lukin2006 wrote:
    You have to name one of the division after Jean Beliveau ... I'd drop Hull.
    I'm sorry, I don't speak French.
    I was thinking of Bobby Hull, but he is/was a contraversial figure so it may not fly.

Was trying to get name(s) who played in the region. Mikita?

Definitely bent the rules with Howe though. Basid it on his time with Hartford who is now Carolina and moving into that Division.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I was thinking of Bobby Hull, but he is/was a contraversial figure so it may not fly.

Was trying to get name(s) who played in the region. Mikita?

Definitely bent the rules with Howe though. Basid it on his time with Hartford who is now Carolina and moving into that Division.

IMO if your going to use players names you really can't leave Jean Beliveau off the list ... they already have the Richard trophy ... the division Montreal is in should be name after Beliveau.

I wouldn't give Bobby Hull anything ... to controversial ... if the players were given a say they'd likely replace Howe with Ted Lindsay ... Ted Lindsay did a lot for the players ...