Options

**** Pearl Jam Twenty Fanviews Here ****

Comments

• Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    i loved this and have seen it twice, but the only issues i had with it were Crowe himself.
    Focusing only on the periods he was around for/interested in..
    they glossed over the drummer story (ok, so maybe they didnt want to talk about it, but to ignore jack irons involvement and complete rejuvination of them is a bit sad)

to barely address the power struggle and most importantly, creative processes, completely was a huge loss and then Crowe seems to go missing for the editing post 2000 utterly..
    Stone commenting on the setlists saying 'we can go out and kill these people if we just play these five songs' a minute and a half after talking about Roskilde?? dunno who the editor was but jesus they were asleep for that part. I know it's an American vernacular thing, but it really isn't in the rest of the world. Two non fan friends of mine spotted that straight away and were almost disturbed.

its all very much from Crowe's point of view which isnt fair to the whole story or to the band themselves...everyone in pj land is waiting for'the kids are twenty' and i think that'll be the thing we all end up watching repeatedly.
    it's very very good, but as it stands it could have been a whole lot better had he included less of himself, and told the whole story...96-2000 arent covered at all and there's three of their best and most celebrated albums in there!!

it's still very powerful but the powerful parts are the performances for the most part.

overall it's a very very airbrushed and selective look at PJ, far too Ten heavy, which ignores the struggles and creative processes(it is the battles we've survived that make us who we are , no? so where was this?) so i think the kids are twenty will be the magic.

Looking forward to it :)
    edit-i did still love it though :)
  • Options
    What song is being played in the background at the end of the part talking about Roskilde? It's just instrumental and you can hear piano.
  • Options
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    dasvidana wrote:
    I love the movie. Brought back many memories, especially when Stone and Jeff testified before Congress and Congress treated them like children (pissed me off at the time and pissed me off again watching the movie). I'm glad PJ took on the "man" and I hope they continue doing that for the entirety of their career. More artists need to be like them.

me too. the only time i talked to the screen...well yelled rather. "you don't have to like/understand the music!" :(

pj20 made me realize just how much i knew. a lot was left out. but can't have a 6 hour movie can we? lol! ya'll answer back YES! :mrgreen:
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    dasvidana wrote:
    I love the movie. Brought back many memories, especially when Stone and Jeff testified before Congress and Congress treated them like children (pissed me off at the time and pissed me off again watching the movie). I'm glad PJ took on the "man" and I hope they continue doing that for the entirety of their career. More artists need to be like them.

me too. the only time i talked to the screen...well yelled rather. "you don't have to like/understand the music!" :(

pj20 made me realize just how much i knew. a lot was left out. but can't have a 6 hour movie can we? lol! ya'll answer back YES! :mrgreen:

they should have released everything...2 hours per week...out of the 1200 hours...that would cover us until the next tour :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508

they should have released everything...2 hours per week...out of the 1200 hours...that would cover us until the next tour :mrgreen:

:lol:
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    DC Red MachineDC Red Machine washington, dc Posts: 7
    Caught the movie on PBS (I got an infant and going out to a movie is a luxury). I really liked it. I think focussing on the early days is OK for a 20 year lookback deal. I became a real fan in sort of the middle years so I appreciate the history. Also, leaves the door open for another doc on the later years.

Pissed off by the Washington Post review blasting Crowe for putting himself center stage. I didn't get that feeling at all. He did the intro then got out of the way pretty much.

Hail Hail PJ

DC Red Machine
  • Options
    You think so? Im not so sure. Waiting nearly 20 years to ambush them about the singles Party bit is a good example of his hijacking of it. Sure, it was a funny clip in a way, but not at all important to their whole story. He was a bit too involved in some parts and then towards the barely covered last ten years, he's hardly there at all. Film definitely looses focus. Jumping back again towards the end to talk about the early days and Andy once again. Couldn't see the reason for it at all personally.
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    eldarion75 wrote:
    You think so? Im not so sure. Waiting nearly 20 years to ambush them about the singles Party bit is a good example of his hijacking of it. Sure, it was a funny clip in a way, but not at all important to their whole story. He was a bit too involved in some parts and then towards the barely covered last ten years, he's hardly there at all. Film definitely looses focus. Jumping back again towards the end to talk about the early days and Andy once again. Couldn't see the reason for it at all personally.

I wish Cameron would have left out some of the generic grunge hype stuff. If anyone wants that documentary, it's already out and called "Hype." I wish this would have been just specifically on PJ and the music, and less of the "scene."
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    all part of his 'i was there' take on it. which is fair enough but we've seen Almost Famous, we know you were there. Was there a need to bring it to this film too? really? it's a film made so that joe public can watch it and think they have a good bead on PJ and what they're about. As an essential or definitive view on PJ, that it is not.

edit-maybe they should have gotten someone they didn't know or had never met to make this, in order for it to be created with complete objectivity and honesty. Their friendship with Crowe and them letting/his getting to tell the tale from his point of view is admirable but i think his approach is perhaps too light, sensitive and subject to their feelings, whereas an outsider would have presented us with something with a lot more accuracy and would contribute to a view of the band with a lot more integrity and accuracy to their history and the music.
  • Options
    GirlLovesPJGirlLovesPJ New Jersey Posts: 1,033
    I'm waiting to see the movie again on PBS in an hour! :D
    2012: Philadelphia, Atlanta
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Worcester 1 & 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Oslo, Gdynia, Leeds, Cincinnati, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2015: New York City, Mexico City
    2016: Miami, Columbia, New York City 2, Quebec City, Chicago 2
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2
    2022: New York City 2, Camden
    2023: St. Paul 1 & 2, Chicago 2, Austin 1 & 2
  • Options
    tacettacet Posts: 323
    unless they were kidding at the Q&A i can't wait to see the EXTRA 4 HOURS on the DVD

and you can buy it on the PBS site as well

http://www.shoppbs.org/home/index.jsp?&utm_source=PBS&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=pbs_home_shopbuttontopnav
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • Options
    tacet wrote:
    unless they were kidding at the Q&A i can't wait to see the EXTRA 4 HOURS on the DVD

and you can buy it on the PBS site as well

http://www.shoppbs.org/home/index.jsp?&utm_source=PBS&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=pbs_home_shopbuttontopnav

The one's on there don't have all 4 hours of extra's though. They have SOME extra's, but not 4 hours worth.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    What I love most about the film..

I've been a die hard fan of these guys for almost 20 years, but all we seem to know about them is from interviews, SVT and Cornice, but those focus on the music... This movie let us see a more personal side of the band. We got to see these guys talking about their lives and experiences.
  • Options
    redkeethredkeeth Posts: 123
    edited October 2011
    I read the PJ20 book AWSOME!

Listened to the sound track on my stereo system AWSOME!

Watched the PJ20 in the theater AWSOME!

Watched the blu-ray of PJ20 AWSOME! sound and video

Downloaded kids are twenty in HD from iTunes performances were great, video was good, sound BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO two thumbs down.

Streaming to the stereo system via RCA there is a flat sound no bass. I watched the PJ20 on bluray I know the kids are twenty can sound way better on DVD or bluray

I wanted the kids are twenty to see the best video and have sound at least equivalent to the CD I mean it is all about the music am I right?
    Post edited by redkeeth on
    * Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 02, 2003
    * Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 18, 2006
    * Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009

• Options
    Only saw the first half of it the other night on PBS, from what I saw it was awesome! I am also reading the book and the movie misses a lot of some important details, but very good from what I saw.
    A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw. Delivered him wings, "Hey, look at me now"

Lollapalooza Grant Park,Chicago,IL August 5,2007
    PJ20 Alpine Valley,East Troy,WI September 3,2011
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,745
    Great movie. The lack of anything after Binaural is definitely compensated for by the early/rare stuff. Loved the Singles party piece, the shots of Ed walking around with a Fly head, and his quote from the time about the lady chastising him for not wanting to be famous. Was a tad disappointed that during the Philly '09 footage they showed shots of an obviously non-Philly crowd (I don't recall there being a brick bell tower in the Spectrum...), but that's a minor gripe. Overall, I think it was very well done and I enjoyed every minute.

Four and a half stars out of five for me (1/2 star deducted for being ashamed of the Philly crowd and Cornell overdose).
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    CubuCubu N.W. Suburban Chicago Posts: 86
    Loved the movie. For purely selfish reasons, I wish Crowe would have included footage from the Soldier Field Ticketmaster protest show. For those that were not there, PJ borrowed the stage/sound system from the Grateful Dead (who performed a few days earlier) There were 70,000 strong at that show, (myself included) and it was broadcast live in the Chicago area via using their van! Link to that show appears in another forum!

I also would have liked to have seen footage from their Chicago Stadium show in 1994. It was the last concert ever in that old building and the first time I ever saw them live. Been hooked since. I do have some friends who saw them at Metro in 1992, and EV leaped from the balcony on to the people below. I'm sure footage of that exists as well.

Other then that, I loved the early footage, and the footage of Vedder talking about building a wall around his house when they broke big. I too found the irony of an artist bearing his soul on stage, but having to barricade himself in his home to keep the crazies out!! 4 stars, and hope Santa brings me the Blu-Ray for Xmas!!
    Chicago Stadium -94, Soldier Field -95, United Center -98, Allstate Arena -2000, United Center -03, United Center -06, United Center -09, Alpine Valley - 11, Wrigley Field-13, Wrigley Field-16
  • Options
    luanisluanis Posts: 159
    I watched the encore performance here in Portugal yesterday, wasn't able to attend the first viewing.
    It was very interesting, there were some facts I wasn't aware of.
    It kinda makes me proud to be their fan cause I could feel the realness, know what I mean? It gave me the chills.

I also loved the fact that my favorite song, which means a whole lot to me, also means so much to EV, how cool is that? :) yeah I can relate to the whole father thing. Not that same story as mine but equally deep.

I will definatly buy the dvd.
    Pearl Jam:
    Restelo Stadium - May 23rd 2000 ; Pavilhao Atlantico - Sep 4th 2006 ; Passeio Maritimo Alges - Jun 8th 2007 ; Optimus Alive! - Jul 10th 2010 ; NOS Alive - Jul 14th 2018

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Sudoeste Festival, Zambujeira do Mar - Aug 3rd 2012 ; Super Bock Super Rock, Meco - Jul 18th 2014
    _____
    Next?
  • Options
    PJChiFan91 wrote:
    Only saw the first half of it the other night on PBS, from what I saw it was awesome! I am also reading the book and the movie misses a lot of some important details, but very good from what I saw.

The book is WAY two thumbs up I read it before seeing PJ20 in the theater very well written!

• Options
    the bluray disc I purchased at Best Buy has a graphic that reads "1"

as if it is telling any "layperson" this is disc #1.... wonder if this disc 1-3 is gonna be on the mass market?

• Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    AWESOME!!! I almost cried once or twice.Mostly had chills.Been waiting for a PJ movie forever.I love Eddie's stories.Stone's Grammy in the Basement.Jeff showing where the Yield Cover was taken at.Seeing how much they aged.Pretty nicely.Best Movie I have seen in a LONG TIME.2 Thumbs up.But it was not long enough. :geek:
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Just got mine today. Can't wait to view it over and over.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    Finally had some time to watch the movie last night after recording it off of PBS.

And I loved it. Some great stories. Some great interviews. Some great footage.

Yes, there is a heavy focus on the early years, and there were some stories that I wish they had explanied more and spent more time on, but that doesn't bother me (but I understand there is probably way too much to fit into a 2 hour movie - hence why the extras on the DVD should be awesome). It serves as a nostalgic trip back to the 90's and middle school and high school for me.

I too loved the part with Stone going through his house looking for PJ stuff. Anyone else find it kind of funny/strange that he has his own band's CD's/DVD's just sitting around on his shelves like anyone else? :lol:

I am very much looking forward to th extras on the DVD when it arrives!!!!!
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    GusserGusser Posts: 3
    ....bought the DVD yesterday and watched it last night - missed the one night only cinema showing a few weeks ago :cry: Loved the early footage and the bushleaguer segment - I'll watch it over and over. :D
    PJ Perth 11/2009
    EV Perth 3/2011

• Options
    I have been a fan / consumer / advocate for this band for 20 years. My first show was '92.
    I have close to 200 bootlegs / studio albums and while I don't do the tee shirt thing have given a few away over the years...
    I only say this because I found the film to be incredibly thin. It is hard to summarize 20 years in 2 hours, I know (as a film maker myself) but unless your 16 years old and a new fan (thanks to 'The Fixer'!!!) - none of the stuff in the film is new. Its literally a blending of the same 4 or 5 stories that people have been talking about for two decades...

I was hoping that we could learn a bit about how the band works. Why it has made some of the decisions it has etc.
    But instead we got a poorly constructed Rolling Stones article in the form of a documentary...

For the first time in my life - I was let down by a release from PJ. But truth is, Crowe is a crappy film maker (as we all know) and I suppose the guys can't be held accountable (fully - although they should have final cut) for Crowe's lack of depth and skill.

Unless you don't know about MLB, the momma son tape, that Ed used to climb the rafters or that they were affected by the deaths at Roskilde, there is no need to see this film.

It saddens me, this is the first time I have ever recommended against consuming their products, but to have made such a big deal of this and to have it be a rehashing of old interviews and articles is VERY DISAPPOINTING
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I've only had a chance to see the first part maybe 45 minutes ... it blew me away.

I cried and cried and I tried not to! Didn't want to run my make up
    as we were on our way out. I was a mess.

The dates on the screen hit my heart so hard. I wasn't expecting that.
    Those early dates took me back to some very tough times, the passing of my father,
    leaving Wisconsin, our untimely loss of sweet Maggie Mae, my beloved Brittany, my best friend.
    JB never home trying to live with nothing, raising the kids by myself, my Mama so sick, so sad.
    Me so tired.

And then there is Pearl Jam ... like it's been since... like it is always.

I was going about 100 maybe more in a rented car... didn't care to steer
    didn't care at all just needed to leave this world... it was the plan.

Pearl Jam blasting... Eddie's voice screaming those words
    We belong together we belong together ... just like in the movie
    and we did we did belong together and I thank them.
    The movie is perfect like my life has been ... perfectly alright from that moment.

I love seeing them young and then now
    I love the campfire scene and Eddie with his fathers picture, talking of feeling him
    as I do my loved ones passed.

I'm going to love it all. I'm going to cherish it all.
    And I'm going to need a box of kleenix!
  • Options
    I went to the nearest theatre in Osaka 3 times just to watch Eddie and Kurt hugging on the big screen.
    First premiere showing on 9/20, about 40 people were there but I think I was the only one singing along every song that was played. Crown of thorn moment was really really epic. Can't wait for the blue-ray!
  • Options
    I saw PJ20 for the first time now...amazing. Funny and touching. I'm happy and proud that my country (italy) is so present. I know that pj love Italy (so they said...we are their moon..) but I'd rather to see a little less images of Italy in pj20 and more pj shows in Italy!!!! We always have only few shows after 3-6 years of nothing!!!
    If you love italy so much why you don't come here more often? we need you, we need some entertainment and destraction...we are going down, we have no job, no money, no home, we have a dishonorable prime minister...and we need some good music. ;)

Thank you PJ.

A.
  • Options
    Finally recieved the deluxe DVD set. Soooo excited to get totally immersed in Pearl Jam after seeing them at Alpine for two days. The first disc being the actual movie, was good I would say, but definately not the scope of twenty years. Maybe the first ten at best. I did appreciate the rare glimpses into the early years. However, this band's coming of age is much more to me than making it through some early drama. Where is the story about the growth and creative process that has contributed to each new album since Vitology? What about the many other artists that Pearl Jam has toured and developed such endearing friendships with? There were some great points made with regard to their touring prowess made in "The Fans Are Alright" disc that should have made it into the movie. Soooo many people out there have no idea how great their albums and concerts have grown since Vitology and this film squanders the opportunity to showcase the true breadth and meaning this band brings to the dedicated fan. In other words, it could have been produced in a way that would show people what they have been missing out on all these years. The second disc, The Kids Are Twenty, was nothing more than a repeat of the concert footage shown in the film :( The third disc, The Fans Are Alright, was almost better than the movie itself. It did a great job of highlighting what is truely at the heart of why this band is more successful worldwide than it ever has been: Pearl Jam is a touring powerhouse and genuinely connects with their fans like no other current band does. PJ20 is a great film for those who only know Pearl Jam as the "90's grunge band". For me, this movie was fun only in the sense that I constantly crave to hear or see anything Pearl Jam. I look forward to seeing the next documentary which really digs into the heart of who this band is and what exactly goes into their creative process with each new studio session.
    milwaukee '95, alpine valley '00 & '03, St. Paul '06, Lolla '07
    "won't someone..... save the world"